Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Q&A with the AD in today's Demozette

Started by lakecityhog, February 12, 2018, 08:57:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Bash

The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

lakecityhog

Any membership to Hogville should come with a bottle of tranquilizers!!!

I actually think that HY was being just a tiny bit sarcastic about the Coke/Pepsi and Slobberin Hog thing.
And in less than 1 page people turn this thing into another STUPID ARGUMENT OVER NOTHING!!!!!

I thought that our new AD was very open, has a sense of humor and will have a great passion for Razorback sports. He also said that he would be involved in Razorback Club meetings around the state and that he feels that it is very important that the WHOLE state feels involved with the Hogs.

Good discussion of interview with new AD, at least what you could pick out of it from people arguing over sugar water.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 03:03:45 pm
Really???
If I want to drink a Coke - I will drink a Coke.
There is always water available for those who don't like Coke.
If I could, I would tax coke until a can at a game was $25.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: 12247 on February 13, 2018, 01:51:39 pm
Hoggin has a point.  I love sugar but I realize its killing me and I slowed waaaaaay down on it.  Americans just want what they want.  We bring 75 percent of all our ailments upon ourselves and then 75 percent of those folks fully expect the giver-ment to pay for it at the 5 times value pricing we pay for medical and prescription drugs in this Country.  We have a huge problem in this Country in that it is basically considered proper and right for some enity, somehow, to pick up the cost of my stupidity and thats across the board.  There is one thing that will never work, you cannot have the responsibility if you don't have the authority.   Yet nearly every thing we do in this so called Free Country is based on all the responsibility and no authority.
Very well said. And it is the truth.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hou-Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 13, 2018, 04:33:46 pm
What is your opinion of the Gary Anderson situation at Oregon State? Are himself and Bielema on the same level business ethics wise? Or is Gary Anderson just a complete moron (for not taking the $$) while Bielema has great business ethics?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/10/9/16450356/gary-andersen-oregon-state-resigned-head-coach

I can only speak for myself, but if I was to take on a contract and promise things verbally only to see my "efforts" fail in literal historic and terrible fashion, I absolutely would not hold my employers on the hook like that. Certainly not for the full amount while being compensated very healthily for the entire term.

Now, if I were pissed off and felt I had been done wrong by my employer? Absolutely, I would hold them 100% on the hook. Or...if I was emphatic with them upon said contract that I may very well fail in epic fashion and they were still insistent upon slanted or uneven terms in my favor? Ok, in that case I wouldn't feel bad about it either.

I suspect Bielema feels slighted and this was at least one reason why he went for the full amount. I did not watch or read his last words to the fans as I decided in the middle of the season, after a (losing) post game press conference that would be the last time I ever purposefully listened to anything he had to say. But, I read something on here that made mention about needing more time, and wishing those who made the decision could see what he was building or doing. Some crap like that.

So with that, maybe very well he felt like he was done wrong...therefore was going to take them for all he could on the way out. In the end I don't feel bad for those that have to pony up because (I'm assuming) they are the ones who agreed to those terms to begin with. These contracts seem extremely one sided to begin with in my opinion. The idea of failing at the rate Bielema did yet still reaping most of the benefits of succeeding is wild to me. In most professions, that is not the case.

It's crazy to me that they don't have winning/losing stipulations for coaches in these contracts. Sure, if said coach goes to a bowl game he gets a ***** dollar bonus. But what happens if he doesn't go to a bowl game? Nothing...he gets penalized 0 dollars off his contract (that I've ever seen). That's not too motivational. I'm not paying for it, but if I were I would be concerned about how slanted these contracts/buyouts are.
There is nothing unethical about being paid by the contract that you negotiated / signed.  What Gary did was his own decision, but it has nothing to do with ethics.

If anything you should be frustrated that no one at the UofA said that contract / clause of the contract as an issue.

Supermark101

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2018, 10:43:47 am
Regarding the topic of buyout clause in a coach's contract, looking back now, I cannot believe Bielema took $12 million in a buyout. Because he did, I believe he does not want to coach again. This taints him in my view. He took the $ and ran. His entire 5 years at Arkansas was a train wreck and he knows it. He was paid for his services. Then he got another 2 1/2 years of income for being fired.

I know it was agreed to but no one knew that he would win only 11 SEC games in 5 years. It clearly was a combo of a lack of proper effort by Bielema and incompetency of Bielema. It was not contractually/legally wrong for Bielema to take a $12 million buyout, but it was ethically wrong.

Put it this way, if I am the AD at a P5 school and Bielema expresses interest, I am not even giving him an interview due to his taking a $12 million buyout after his historically bad 5 years at Arkansas. I am not an unreasonable person and I have to believe there are AD's out there who think and feel the same. It was Bielema's choice: take the $ like a pig or take some lesser and reasonable amount that is somewhat based on the sorry performance and effort he gave us. If he had taken another year's salary as a buyout, I would have respected him. As it is, I have zero respect for the man.

And think about his recruiting. Yeah, I know where each of his classes were ranked. So if you think his recruiting was good, then you have to agree and admit his coaching was beyond horrible. Almost to a point of negligence. Watch highlights from games in the Nutt era. We thought that was mediocre. Compared to Bielema's teams, Nutt's teams look like they were mostly top 10 quality. Nutt's teams had speed, had defense, had RB's and receivers and had DB's who could cover well and stay closer than 5 yards to a receiver they were covering. Other than 1 year, Bielema's defenses were human sieves. Worst in the history of Arkansas football his last 2 years.
No team speed anywhere. Receivers were mediocre, RB's were mediocre. DL was terrible all 5 years. O line pretty bad last 2 years. So where were all these recruits? Where was the speed, the effort, the ability? What a train wreck and colossal waste of time and money these past 6 years were.

You must be a part of the 1% that would say, meh I'm good if someone offered you 1 million dollars. The money was due him. He'd be a fool to turn it down.

Look at the rest of the SEC. CBB buyout wasn't outrageous at all. HY idea is good in theory but good luck getting Sexton to agree to it. The market is set.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The NewEra on February 13, 2018, 10:08:24 am
Regarding the "Slobbering Hog" thing, I think if you polled the entire fan base the consensus would be to stay with what we have and forget that anemic looking pig.  I sure hope he doesn't make that issue too high a priority.

Slobberin Hog is the last way we have to try to replicate the 90's in BWA outside of bringing Nolan back and seeing if anyone from the 94 team has eligibility left. Personally, I think the b-ball team needs to earn the right to bring Slobberin Hog back by for example, winning more than 1 tournament game in the same year.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

theFlyingHog

Working an actual train derailment is better than dealing with all these darn trolls

razorzapp

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 03:03:45 pm
Really???
If I want to drink a Coke - I will drink a Coke.
There is always water available for those who don't like Coke.

You won't drink one at a Razorback game.....