Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have you ever met Nolan Richardson in-person?

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 27, 2017, 03:21:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootiethehog

Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. I went to school in the mid-90s, and his persona on the court was one of the most intimidating things I had ever seen. You could hear his voice over the 20,000 in the arena every time.

Fast forward 10 years, I am working for the Dem-Gaz (in one of the lesser departments, not sports) and my editor gifted me with the task of interviewing Coach about the Rim Rockers. Firstly, I was flabbergasted that his home phone number was so easily accessible, but I call him, still with that thought of him on the court in my head.

Normally my interviews (even today) last 10 minutes at most. I try to get in and get out and not waste people's time. I've got to interview a plethora of big names in Arkansas sports, but this was the only time I was ever nervous and starstruck.

I called him, stumbled across my questions once or twice, and he was the most kind and accommodating man you would ever speak to in your life. After my limited questions about Rim Rockers, he shifted the conversation to other things and there was no way I was going to miss out on talking to Coach. I was on the phone with him a good 25 minutes and got to hear old stories from his youth, his time with the Hogs and what he was doing then.

As soon as I hung up, I heard the news that Tubby Smith was no longer at Kentucky. My editor told me to call him back and get a quote. As it turned out, I was the one to break the news to him. He thanked me and gave me a quote for the paper on the subject and I let him get back to his day.

It was the absolute highlight of my 20+ year career in sports journalism.
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

Jackrabbit Hog

This thread reminds me of something my grandmother told me when I was about 8 years old.  "If you're nice to people, they'll remember that about you."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bphi11ips

Quote from: lstewart on March 27, 2017, 03:44:18 pm
I used to see him at Paradise Valley golf course in Fayetteville fairly regularly. He played a lot of golf, and was around a lot of the time we were playing. Always spoke to him, and he was always friendly. My son worked at Paradise through high school and college. Said Nolan hung around a good bit with other golfers as one of the guys.

Seemed that way to me. I walked up one morning to the first tee as a single and Nolan was playing with two people. He asked if I'd like to join his group. That's a common courtesy, but it always impresses when someone does that. He was a regular guy and a good player. Conducts himself well on the course.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

songofthesword

met him when i was a junior in high school when he recruited mike jones who is my older cousin by a year.  they (my cousins parents) have this humo fngous house in alma and throw a bunch of parties and they threw one and he popped up. funnier than you would think.  likes ribs.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: songofthesword on March 28, 2017, 11:46:11 am
met him when i was a junior in high school when he recruited mike jones who is my older cousin by a year.  they (my cousins parents) have this humo fngous house in alma and throw a bunch of parties and they threw one and he popped up. funnier than you would think.  likes ribs.

Who doesn't??
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Briefly spoke to him twice.

First time, 2002, after the last game he ever coached for Arkansas.  It was in Starkville where I was living at the time.  I had heard news on the radio on the way there that he might be dismissed.  I was almost in tears before the game.  After the game I went down to listen to his interview with Mike Nail.

Nolan apologized to the fans.  He sat in between Mike Nail and Joe Kleine.  Mike Nail put his arm around Nolan.  I spoke to Mike Anderson and told him I hoped it wasn't true.  After Nolan was finished I asked him to sign my 1994 SI when the Hogs won it all.  I had taken it with me to get it signed.  After he signed it I told him how much I appreciated him and hoped he was our coach for years to come. My voice may have cracked a bit. He thanked me.

Spoke to him again at his book signing years later here in NWA.  He was gracious to everyone smiled took pictures. 

It's great to read everyone's stories and the consistency.  Nolan loves it here.  He must, even after all he went through he stayed.  He will always be my favorite coach.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pig in the Pokey

Many times. Been to his house a half dozen times. Got the full tour of his office, man, was that ever awesome. Love his wife Ms Rose., very sweet lady.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 28, 2017, 12:55:06 pm
Briefly spoke to him twice.

First time, 2002, after the last game he ever coached for Arkansas.  It was in Starkville where I was living at the time.  I had heard news on the radio on the way there that he might be dismissed.  I was almost in tears before the game.  After the game I went down to listen to his interview with Mike Nail.

Nolan apologized to the fans.  He sat in between Mike Nail and Joe Kleine.  Mike Nail put his arm around Nolan.  I spoke to Mike Anderson and told him I hoped it wasn't true.  After Nolan was finished I asked him to sign my 1994 SI when the Hogs won it all.  I had taken it with me to get it signed.  After he signed it I told him how much I appreciated him and hoped he was our coach for years to come. My voice may have cracked a bit. He thanked me.

Spoke to him again at his book signing years later here in NWA.  He was gracious to everyone smiled took pictures. 

It's great to read everyone's stories and the consistency.  Nolan loves it here.  He must, even after all he went through he stayed.  He will always be my favorite coach.

Mine too, Dwight.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

bvillepig

Sure would be nice to get the court named after him and have him do the speech right before we play Kentucky next year.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: bvillepig on March 28, 2017, 03:26:42 pm
Sure would be nice to get the court named after him and have him do the speech right before we play Kentucky next year.

Yes it would.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hawkhawg

He came and spoke at my junior high in pine bluff when he was first hired. I guess he was trying to get support in a town that put out athletes like pine bluff did in the 80's. He talked to the whole school and then hung around and must have shook 500 hands.

When I was a student on the hill it was the last game played at barnhill and me and my buddy couldn't make ourselves leave when the game was over so we just sat there. We were probably the last fans left in barnhill. As we were finally  leaving, we found ourselves walking out with Nolan. We shook his hand and talked with him for a few minutes.  He was a great man and coach that understood the importance of the fans.

WorfHog

Unlike you guys I only run into him at Wal-Mart. My girlfriend almost hit him with a cart once while not paying attention. Need to starting taking my copy of his book with me so I can get it signed.

phadedhawg

Quote from: WorfHog on March 28, 2017, 05:59:07 pm
Unlike you guys I only run into him at Wal-Mart. My girlfriend almost hit him with a cart once while not paying attention. Need to starting taking my copy of his book with me so I can get it signed.

Nolan was never one to mind the occasional hand or cart check.  Sure he took it in stride...

PORKULATOR

I hand wrote him a letter when I was 14-15...it was after his first year and I wrote how proud I was that he was our coach and loved what he was bringing to Arkansas basketball, and he hand wrote me back. Yep...I was shocked. My mom has looked for it a few times, as we dont remember what its stuck in, but one day it'll be found and I'll post it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hogbud

Got paired with him in Razorback Club golf outing. Great guy and can hit driver a ton. My niece asked him for a basketball tip, he said "shoot the rock".

parallaxpig

Quote from: lstewart on March 27, 2017, 03:44:18 pm
I used to see him at Paradise Valley golf course in Fayetteville fairly regularly. He played a lot of golf, and was around a lot of the time we were playing. Always spoke to him, and he was always friendly. My son worked at Paradise through high school and college. Said Nolan hung around a good bit with other golfers as one of the guys.

Played a few holes with him as well. He would come out of his condo and just popped around playing a few holes with different groups. His public persona is nothing like his coaching face. He is very nice man. I spoke with him briefly on a flight back from Tex A&M game this year. He ask me who won. Tells you he still doesn't give much thought to football...........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

thebignasty

I worked at the supercenter when I was in college.  I saw Coach Richardson there a number of times because he would personally show up to pick up donations to the Yvonne Richardson center.  I thought he was great.

I sent money once for Petrino. At the time I assumed I was assisting in a recruiting violation but now I figure he was just getting some money to a sidepiece.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: thebignasty on March 29, 2017, 02:36:28 pm
I sent money once for Petrino. At the time I assumed I was assisting in a recruiting violation but now I figure he was just getting some money to a sidepiece.

Down payment on his Harley.

razorcash2

Meet him in Rupp Arena after we beat Kentucky in 1994.

We were on our way to the National Championship.

Very gracious.

PORKULATOR

My mom went down to court side after a UK game, 93'i think, and Nolan was signing programs and stuff and mom said that a lot of the people were UK fans. She talked to a few... And these were older folks... Older than my parents anyway, and they were stoked at what the Hogs and especially Nolan, brought... Scratch that, ADDED to the SEC.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Met Nolan many times walking to our seats at the arena, very nice, relaxed, and always willing to take a picture... unless he has to use the bathroom!  Had a buddy in town from TN who is a die hard hog fan, Nolan just told us to wait until he used the restroom & then he'd get a pic with us.. sure enough a couple of minutes later, we got our pic!  Super nice guy.

WorfHog

HognitiveDissonance

Yes, at the Lloyd Noble Arena in Norman, OK of all places.
It was 1990 and we were both there to watch Todd Day and Lee Mayberry play with some kind of USA team they were on. I don't remember.
It was actually a practice and there were only a few people in the stands. Had some pleasantries and that was it.

jbob

I've talked with him a few times over the years. I sit down the row from his seats now at bud Walton. A few years ago after a particularly poorly officiated game against Tennessee, I walked down the row and asked him how many technicals he would have had tonight? He said, "they would have thrown my (butt) out of the game.  That was the worst called game I've ever seen"

Never afraid to tell it like it is.

31to6

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 28, 2017, 10:17:20 am
Ditto.  He wasn't rude; just not comfortable interacting with us.  You could tell.
I always got the impression he (Petrino) was scrolling through the same menu of responses as Arnold in Terminator 1.

Boarcephus

Ran into Nolan at PV the day a couple weeks ago the day we played NC.  Asked him what in the hell he was doing here instead of being with Mike and he said why aren't you there?   I said I don't have the spare change it would cost to go to an NCAA game and he laughed.  Said he'd watch it on the "tele".  Told me Rose is not doing too well and he was keeping it close to the house for her.  Nolan is looking kind of frail  these days as age is catching up to him like it does everyone else at some point in time.  Just goes to show why Father Time is still undefeated.  Met him several times and he's been nothing but a gentleman every single time.  I like the guy and it's a damn shame they haven't named the court after him.  He's as deserving as any man could be. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

redleg

I met him after the Hogs beat Auburn at BWA in 1996. He signed my Razorback cap, but he was gruff and short with me. Not very accommodating or friendly.
I'll give him the benefit of doubt, because it could have been he was rushed and still in "game mode".
I still think he's the best basketball coach we've ever had, but I also hope Mike Anderson can eventually surpass him!
WPS!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

texas tush hog

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on March 27, 2017, 03:21:35 pm
If so, where and when did you have occasion to meet him, and what was the interaction like?  What type of impression did he make on you?  I have never had the privilege of meeting the man, so I have no idea what he is really like, but I would be curious to hear from any lucky Hogs fans who have actually had the chance to meet him and speak with him, even if it was only for a few minutes.   :razorback:

Have known Nolan since he was head coach at El Paso Bowie and I was stationed at Fort Bliss. When my oldest daughter was a Ladyback soccer player during Nolan's first year at Arkansas she would go down to Barnhill and workout. Yvonne was going through cancer treatments at the time and Nolan would come through and stop and chat. She reminded him of his talks with Yvonne, being a coaches daughter herself. My good friend Travis Lively and I made nearly every road game in Texas that first year and Nolan took note. He came to the Southwest Arkansas Razorback Club the next year and told the story of it. He told us that first year "you guys are everywhere". I said Nolan we figure you need all the help you can get.The Hog faithful were trying to ride him out of town on a rail that first year and he never forgot his early supporters. I used to pick him up at the airport when he came to Dallas for our banquets when I was president of the GDRC. After my daughter got older she introduced him at the banquet and he told several heart warming stories of their earlier chats. A truly warm and loving person and he never forgets a friend.

chiefhawg

I met Nolan at the grand opening of the then AllTel Arena in North Little Rock. It was a Saturday morning/afternoon. Nolan stood behind a table in the upper concourse and visited with all comers. He was very gracious and took photo after photo. He could not give autographs. When asked he would say that he could not give autographs but I could tell by him facial expression that it was not his idea. He would say " I am sorry but I can't."

He is a very impressive person.