Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long & Baylor

Started by ChitownHawg, May 27, 2016, 11:27:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

With Baylor having the nerve to send a winning coach packing - would this have happened 5 years ago if Long had not of sent CBP packing?

I think Long's guts to keep the integrity of the program over winning will help many Presidents and ADs when they have to make a decision.

Now will Ole Miss have the same guts as Arkansas and Baylor?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

rljjr

I don't think it took a lot of moral courage from Baylor to fire Briles. They pretty much had to based on the findings. There was no way they would have been able to stand up to the backlash had they allowed him to stay. It is thought that things in he report paint a best case scenario of bad doings. There is probably more than meets the eye.

jjdlc

I agree with rljjr, Baylor did everything they could to keep this under the rug.  They only fired Briles when it became clear they couldn't keep it hidden, and they had no choice but to act.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 27, 2016, 11:27:09 am
With Baylor having the nerve to send a winning coach packing - would this have happened 5 years ago if Long had not of sent CBP packing?

I think Long's guts to keep the integrity of the program over winning will help many Presidents and ADs when they have to make a decision.

Penn State may have affected Baylor more than Arkansas.

HogMantheIntruder

I don't think the situations are comparable, but I do believe we would have seen law suits from those who applied for what's her name's job. Either way, I'm glad to see someone else who likes the fact that JL took the high road, rather than bashing him for it.

As far as Ole Mi$$, I don't think they will voluntarily do the right thing. If that were the case, they would have already gotten rid of him. Have you read through the allegations? No excuse for heads to not already be rolling.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 27, 2016, 12:05:40 pm
As far as Ole Mi$$, I don't think they will voluntarily do the right thing. If that were the case, they would have already gotten rid of him. Have you read through the allegations? No excuse for heads to not already be rolling.

I wouldn't fire Freeze for that if I were OM.  I wouldn't want us to fire Bielema for it.  Not the first time at least.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jjdlc on May 27, 2016, 11:59:36 am
I agree with rljjr, Baylor did everything they could to keep this under the rug.  They only fired Briles when it became clear they couldn't keep it hidden, and they had no choice but to act.

I guess where my thoughts were going was that Long fired a very successful coach and thrived afterwards. He showed you can do the right thing and improve your career at the same time.

Other ADs can now have the confidence to do the same.

Lastly I never underestimate a school to protect their winning ways. Auburn comes to mind.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

KY Hog Man

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 27, 2016, 12:05:40 pm
I don't think the situations are comparable, but I do believe we would have seen law suits from those who applied for what's her name's job. Either way, I'm glad to see someone else who likes the fact that JL took the high road, rather than bashing him for it.
So, you're telling me that if you thought you were wronged, a simple firing of the responsible person would make your suit go away? 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: jjdlc on May 27, 2016, 11:59:36 am

like it or not, if you call yourself a "church school", you are held to a higher standard than the rest....  sad it took Baylor so long to realize this.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HogNDas

Ole Miss fired both HC's that were involved (WBB & T/F).  The football coach wasn't involved.

HognVA

Arkansas had 0 effect on this.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HognVA on May 27, 2016, 02:41:01 pm
Arkansas had 0 effect on this.

I didnt say Arkansas. I said Jeff Long.

Vantage 8 dude

IMO the decision to fire Briles ultimately had very much to do with the Philly law office's findings. The report is very scathing concerning the school's poor response, when even given, much less their whole attitude and lack of handling of the instances. Once this was made public even the Baylor B of Rs was going to find it impossible not to take some forceful action. Therefore, it was an outside source  and not the sudden finding of a collective dawning of responsibly to those women directly impacted that led to the firing. 

MJ2

Interesting thought, but the reality is Baylor is a Baptist/Christian school and even a hint of lack of morals shouldn't be tolerated.    Winning sports games has become paramount and the schools focus has been lost along the way.

HognVA

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 27, 2016, 02:46:51 pm
I didnt say Arkansas. I said Jeff Long.
The events happened at Arkansas correct? Had 0 to do with Jeff Long and his actions at Arkansas then, happy?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HognVA on May 27, 2016, 05:12:24 pm
The events happened at Arkansas correct? Had 0 to do with Jeff Long and his actions at Arkansas then, happy?

Dont be so sensitve. I was unhappy. I was merely correcting you.

Paul

Quote from: HogNDas on May 27, 2016, 01:52:14 pm
Ole Miss fired both HC's that were involved (WBB & T/F). The football coach wasn't involved.
uh huh  ::)

lefty08

Quote from: HogNDas on May 27, 2016, 01:52:14 pm
Ole Miss fired both HC's that were involved (WBB & T/F).  The football coach wasn't involved.

Say what?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged