Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Dallas/AT+T camp??

Started by ricepig, May 24, 2016, 12:10:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: GolfnHog on May 24, 2016, 05:17:08 pm
The distance from Abilene to ATT stadium 163 miles or 2.25 hours so I don't think the distance and school is the issue. From Commerce to ATT is about 85 miles taking the shortest route or 1.45 hours w/ traffic.

I suspect the conspiracy of schools in Texas getting in the ear of aTm-Commerce is the compelling reason it didn't happen.

So, what kept us from having it with Abilene Christian? There was already digital and print material out with both of us there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 05:21:33 pm
So, what kept us from having it with Abilene Christian? There was already digital and print material out with both of us there.
or that it was getting too late in the game to change things and we already have camps in arkansas going on during the same time period.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 24, 2016, 05:23:54 pm
or that it was getting too late in the game to change things and we already have camps in arkansas going on during the same time period.
Looks like from the flyer sent out to area schools we were coming.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/735153192372047872

hoglady

Wonder why we would pull out?
Don't see how we would care whether Texas-Commerce or Abileine Christian was hosting.
That is fertile recruiting territory - backing out just doesn't look good.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 05:26:32 pm
Looks like from the flyer sent out to area schools we were coming.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/735153192372047872

it likely wasnt sent out by us, but by ACU. 

We probably initially agreed then changed our mind.  possibly due to lack of projected attendance due to there only being 2 weeks between now and the intended date.

also we have a camp on june 8th in arkansas that may conflict with coaches scheduled to attend the june 9th in dallas camp

http://twitter.com/ArkansasFBcamps/status/690271847053590528/photo/1
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GolfnHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 05:21:33 pm

I suspect that question will be answered by someone that actually has the answer. In the interim, HV will speculate as to the why's!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: GolfnHog on May 24, 2016, 06:01:26 pm
I suspect that question will be answered by someone that actually has the answer. In the interim, HV will speculate as to the why's!
My Magic Eightball doesn't speculate!

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 24, 2016, 05:55:38 pm
it likely wasnt sent out by us, but by ACU. 

We probably initially agreed then changed our mind.  possibly due to lack of projected attendance due to there only being 2 weeks between now and the intended date.

also we have a camp on june 8th in arkansas that may conflict with coaches scheduled to attend the june 9th in dallas camp

http://twitter.com/ArkansasFBcamps/status/690271847053590528/photo/1

We scheduled the camp knowing our camp dates, but ok........

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 06:06:40 pm
We scheduled the camp knowing our camp dates, but ok........
yeah, but who's job was it to get the word out the the area high schools?

It was probably TAMU-commerces job.  now two weeks before the camp, they pull out, and it falls on ACU to do it.  If they didn't get enough people preregistered, its likely not worth our time.

notice the date on the arkansas camp tween "21 Jan 2016"

the ACU tweet " 24 May 2016"

5 months vs 2 weeks.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 24, 2016, 06:13:03 pm
yeah, but who's job was it to get the word out the the area high schools?

It was probably TAMU-commerces job.  now two weeks before the camp, they pull out, and it falls on ACU to do it.  If they didn't get enough people preregistered, its likely not worth our time.

notice the date on the arkansas camp tween "21 Jan 2016"

the ACU tweet " 24 May 2016"

5 months vs 2 weeks.

Again, these kids weren't coming for Commerce or ACU, and since we're going to Houston with Commerce, I'm sure they would have faxed the info to us or ACU, lol. I'm sure, in time, we'll know.

factchecker

Here is MY OPINION on the reasoning:

We have a connection with the AnM Commerce program.  Former Defensive Assistant, Coach Mike Conrad, is now the linebacker coach at AnM Commerce.  We most likely had all the camp specifics planned out until someone threw a fit.

I'm now interested in why AnM Commerce pulled out of Dallas.  Commerce is less than two hours away from ATT Stadium.  Commerce is close to 5 hours away from Houston.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 06:25:18 pm
Here is MY OPINION on the reasoning:

We have a connection with the AnM Commerce program.  Former Defensive Assistant, Coach Mike Conrad, is now the linebacker coach at AnM Commerce.  We most likely had all the camp specifics planned out until someone threw a fit.

I'm now interested in why AnM Commerce pulled out of Dallas.  Commerce is less than two hours away from ATT Stadium.  Commerce is close to 5 hours away from Houston.

Since it was the Cowboys' stadium, I say we blame Tony Romo for throwing the fit!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

factchecker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 24, 2016, 06:40:17 pm
Since it was the Cowboys' stadium, I say we blame Tony Romo for throwing the fit!  ;D

Speaking of Romo-- I wonder if we will use our connections with Eastern Illinois to camp up there in the future.   

Former Razorback Kim Dameron is their head coach. Dennis "Dirt" Winston is their defensive line coach.  Danny Nutt is the runningback coach. Since Coach Anderson has been on staff we've gone after a couple Illinois recruits, so we might try and have a camp up there eventually.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 06:20:59 pm
Again, these kids weren't coming for Commerce or ACU, and since we're going to Houston with Commerce, I'm sure they would have faxed the info to us or ACU, lol. I'm sure, in time, we'll know.
Yeah, I'm just speculating on possibilities.  either way, it looks like the real reason is they moved the came to houston.

Sed76

Someone get on the Tweeter and ask coach or Jeff Long.

factchecker

I think it's quite possible that Commerce pulled out of the original camp (due to pressure from bitch-ass P5 coaches in Texas) but tells our staff that they are having camp in Houston if they want to still camp together.  At that moment, there is no possible way for Arkansas to camp in Dallas.... for a P5 program to camp out of state a local school must host the camp.  Arkansas agrees to camp in Houston.  Few days later ACU fills the spot and assumes Arkansas will still camp.  However, this is impossible b/c the camp in Houston conflicts with the date in Dallas. 

It's interesting to note that ACU is no longer camping in AT&T stadium..... as of now. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 07:30:46 pm
I think it's quite possible that Commerce pulled out of the original camp (due to pressure from bitch-ass P5 coaches in Texas) but tells our staff that they are having camp in Houston if they want to still camp together.  At that moment, there is no possible way for Arkansas to camp in Dallas.... for a P5 program to camp out of state a local school must host the camp.  Arkansas agrees to camp in Houston.  Few days later ACU fills the spot and assumes Arkansas will still camp.  However, this is impossible b/c the camp in Houston conflicts with the date in Dallas. 

It's interesting to note that ACU is no longer camping in AT&T stadium..... as of now. 

It's not same date so there wouldn't have been a conflict.
Dallas was 6/9
Houston is 6/12
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

factchecker

Quote from: hoglady on May 24, 2016, 07:39:26 pm
Dallas was 6/9
Houston is 6/12

True.  Maybe the coaches didn't want to agree to another camp only to have it canceled again.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkSoda

Quote from: hoglady on May 24, 2016, 07:39:26 pm
Dallas was 6/9
Houston is 6/12
the conflict at that point is Arkansas is no longer footing the bill at Jerry World and ACU certainly wasn't going to pick up the tab.

factchecker

http://www.foxsportsarkansas.com/texas-am-commerce-coach-colby-carthel/

This interview was posted 05/13/16.

Commerce's head coach, Coach Carthel, mentions camping with Coach Rhoads in the past as a connection as well.

What happened between 05/13/16 and 05/18/16 (Houston announcement) to cause Commerce to back out of the AT&T deal?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

lefty08

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 08:16:26 pm
http://www.foxsportsarkansas.com/texas-am-commerce-coach-colby-carthel/

This interview was posted 05/13/16.

Commerce's head coach, Coach Carthel, mentions camping with Coach Rhoads in the past as a connection as well.

What happened between 05/13/16 and 05/18/16 (Houston announcement) to cause Commerce to back out of the AT&T deal?

Aren't they affiliated with aTm? 
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawghiggs

I don't know how many camps we can have in a summer or if their is a limit. But one things for sure. We work on having one in Jerryworld, New Orleans, and South Florida. Those three areas would pay off big time.

Piggfoot

I had a feeling that money and maybe politics would screw this deal.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 25, 2016, 09:44:42 am
I had a feeling that money and maybe politics would screw this deal.

I am very interested to see the details come forth on this deal.

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 07:30:46 pm

If UCA was going to host a camp in Arkansas for Oklahoma I'm sure you would feel that was fine.

hoglady

Quote from: Karma on May 25, 2016, 10:02:27 am
If UCA was going to host a camp in Arkansas for Oklahoma I'm sure you would feel that was fine.

Yes - but the weird thing is  - we are still camping with Commerce - just a venue change to Houston.
If some "powers that be" were behind the cancelled camp - why was it a big deal in Dallas and not a big deal in Houston?

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on May 25, 2016, 10:52:12 am
Yes - but the weird thing is  - we are still camping with Commerce - just a venue change to Houston.
If some "powers that be" were behind the cancelled camp - why was it a big deal in Dallas and not a big deal in Houston?

Has the university said we are "camping" in Houston? I haven't seen any of our staff retweeting any of this. I never saw us say we were going with ACU in Dallas when that change supposedly occurred, nor this camp in Houston. You'd think our recruiting staff would be getting the "word" out on it.

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2016, 10:57:21 am
Has the university said we are "camping" in Houston? I haven't seen any of our staff retweeting any of this. I never saw us say we were going with ACU in Dallas when that change supposedly occurred, nor this camp in Houston. You'd think our recruiting staff would be getting the "word" out on it.

I was just going by what was posted above - the Tweet from A&M/Commerce with the pic of Coach B.

factchecker

Quote from: Karma on May 25, 2016, 10:02:27 am

Yes.  If we can't keep our top talent instate because of a 2 hour day camp then we have a recruiting problem. 

Quote from: hoglady on May 25, 2016, 10:52:12 am

JerryWorld vs. Cy Ranch High School

Don't get me wrong.  I don't care if we camp in a bingo hall.... the mission is to get to Texas and recruit.  However, you can't tell me that JerryWorld wouldn't be a bigger deal or a bigger draw than a local high school.

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2016, 10:57:21 am

Has our staff announced ANY of the camps?  Did Coach Bielema retweet the All-Arkansas camp or the FAU camp or the previous Commerce camp in Dallas? 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on May 24, 2016, 03:14:42 pm
No doubt.  We need to camp in Texas.  I agree that St. Louis and NOLA are two other destinations we need to camp.

Tulane is the only school I know in Louisiana that is partnering with an outside program (AnM).  Of course that pissed off Les: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/les-miles-lsu-satellite-camp-tulane-texas-am-sec-football/1n5vcamee7vzc19dcz6bwsvqr2

Miles has partnered with the New Orleans Saints at a couple of upcoming camps.

PorkSoda

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2016, 11:08:21 am

JerryWorld vs. Cy Ranch High School

I wonder what the cost difference was?  I'd be willing to bet that we try again at jerry world next year.  but at the cost of renting an arena like that, it had better have a massive draw.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 25, 2016, 12:48:37 pm
I wonder what the cost difference was?  I'd be willing to bet that we try again at jerry world next year.  but at the cost of renting an arena like that, it had better have a massive draw.

You don't think Jerry would let us borrow it?

AirWarren

I think we are going to find out it's going to be tough to get into these states(Texas, LA) with the reputation we are building as a program and how Bielema has us rolling in the right direction. LSU folds like a cheap chair when they play us. No way they allow us to have camps in their backyard.

onebadrubi

Maybe jerry Jones canceled it because long couldnt OU's AD to allow Jerrys company to sell their season tickets...

CFB_Fanatic

CBB on the Dallas camp falling through:

"The team we were going to do one with in Dallas was part of a (university) system that had a big brother that eliminated the possibility of that happening. For a month and a half, I'd been planning to do it. It was basically eliminated overnight."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/05/arkansas_coach_bret_bielema_we.html

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on May 27, 2016, 09:22:00 am
CBB on the Dallas camp falling through:

"The team we were going to do one with in Dallas was part of a (university) system that had a big brother that eliminated the possibility of that happening. For a month and a half, I'd been planning to do it. It was basically eliminated overnight."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/05/arkansas_coach_bret_bielema_we.html
Just another reason to hate Texas A$M.  Like I needed another one. 

dhizzle

What a bunch of pansies afraid little old Arkansas is going to take some recruits from Texas and Louisiana.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: dhizzle on May 27, 2016, 09:34:47 am
What a bunch of pansies afraid little old Arkansas is going to take some recruits from Texas and Louisiana.

Like you would be okay with UCA hosting a camp with Bama or LSU in Little Rock.....

Come on now, I dont like the cancelling of the camp either but I completely understand it from TAMU's side. They are trying to protect their own interests. Plus this shows they truly are scared of us.

hogcard1964

I'm perplexed as to how something so solid and that makes so much sense, can simply be cancelled out from under us without some sort of fight?

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 10:14:35 am
I'm perplexed as to how something so solid and that makes so much sense, can simply be cancelled out from under us without some sort of fight?

You assume a lot...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 10:14:35 am
Well IF the Dallas camp was cancelled due in part (or totally) to a tie in with TAM (along with the N.O. camp with LSU) then our ability to fight and overcome the objections is somewhat limited. One has to have leverage and/or a relationship that can withstand the local pressure that's very likely going to be brought to bear no the local host program. In most instances that's a huge hurdle of overcome.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 12:09:46 pm
Such as...?

Take your act back to politics... I don't have time for your amateur hour bs.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on May 27, 2016, 12:24:10 pm
Take your act back to politics... I don't have time for your amateur hour bs.

Take care

;)

The_Hog_Father

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hogcard1964

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 27, 2016, 12:42:14 pm
making new friends i see.

Always happy to offer a pat on the back and a smile.   :D

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 12:44:06 pm
Peace sugar.

I live in Chicago... Why don't you bring me some of that sugar sweet pea.