Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC approves a new collaborative replay policy for this fall

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 17, 2016, 03:50:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg IQ

Anybody like to see just general improvement in SEC Officiating. Can we get a collaborative plan going around that thought a little bit. And concerning the replay booth guy- can we go back to overwhelming evidence to overturn a call instead some personal opines/ or favor the higher ranked team calls.
go hogs go !

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dwight_K_Shrute

In it's purest form it's a good move.  But I have full confidence in the SEC to screw it up. 

First as has already been said, instead of investing in new technology invest in better on field officiating.  Better officiating on field reduces the need for replay. 

Next you know who these centralized replay officials will be?  Former sh***y on field SEC officials who are now past their prime to be on the field.  Just a way to give those GOB's a paycheck for awhile longer. 

Their test consisted of an SEC spring game.  Seriously?  A game that isn't even an exhibition but a scrimmage amongst the same team where absolutely nothing is on the line.

Nothing about this screams improvement, but it does scream SEC SEC.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 18, 2016, 08:24:49 am
In it's purest form it's a good move.  But I have full confidence in the SEC to screw it up. 

First as has already been said, instead of investing in new technology invest in better on field officiating.  Better officiating on field reduces the need for replay. 

Next you know who these centralized replay officials will be?  Former sh***y on field SEC officials who are now past their prime to be on the field.  Just a way to give those GOB's a paycheck for awhile longer. 

Their test consisted of an SEC spring game.  Seriously?  A game that isn't even an exhibition but a scrimmage amongst the same team where absolutely nothing is on the line.

Nothing about this screams improvement, but it does scream SEC SEC.

With a little ACC ACC thrown in.

A week after the ACC announced it will use collaborative instant replay in 2016, the SEC has approved the same measure.

Mike_e

You know why they went ahead and implemented this for the coming season, right?

We play Florida this year.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Inhogswetrust

They should let Hog fans watching at Buffalo Wild Wings decide...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TUSKtimes

The targeting rule has been overall a success in safety. You just don't see the cobra-like launching, knock them and yourself out, kind of violent hit. Some of the interpretation about what is launching still needs to be improved on with officials. Plus offensive players are doing way too much launching that is not looked at.

What is really excesses is making a player sit out the first half of the next game if the penalty occurs in the second half. Getting tossed in any game should be punishment enough.

Otherwise, it's served a good purpose.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 19, 2016, 08:17:18 am
The targeting rule has been overall a success in safety. You just don't see the cobra-like launching, knock them and yourself out, kind of violent hit. Some of the interpretation about what is launching still needs to be improved on with officials. Plus offensive players are doing way too much launching that is not looked at.

What is really excesses is making a player sit out the first half of the next game if the penalty occurs in the second half. Getting tossed in any game should be punishment enough.

Otherwise, it's served a good purpose.

I disagree.  Late in a blowout game, the specter of having to sit out part of the next game can be a deterrent to keep some jackass from taking a cheap shot on a defenseless player.  If you had your way, all that would get the offender is a place on the sidelines (well after the game had already been decided) to dance and taunt with his fellow teammates.  As the rule is now, you have to think about the consequences in the next game as well - and that's a good thing, IMO.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 19, 2016, 10:22:49 am
I disagree.  Late in a blowout game, the specter of having to sit out part of the next game can be a deterrent to keep some jackass from taking a cheap shot on a defenseless player.  If you had your way, all that would get the offender is a place on the sidelines (well after the game had already been decided) to dance and taunt with his fellow teammates.  As the rule is now, you have to think about the consequences in the next game as well - and that's a good thing, IMO..

Not sure who you've been watching play football, maybe the Miami hurricanes. Either way, the rule has worked and the game is a lot safer for it. 

31to6

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 19, 2016, 12:22:48 pm
Not sure who you've been watching play football, maybe the Miami hurricanes. Either way, the rule has worked and the game is a lot safer for it. 
You are mostly correct. The problem with the rule is not the rule, it is the inconsistent implementation.

Targeting is called and players have been ejected when later replay showed it to be far from cut and dried.

Conversely, players have been carted off the field after what replay later showed to obviously be targeting but no flag was thrown.

I don't think anyone can effectively defend the notion of going back to a pre-targeting-rule football. With what we understand about concussions, it is just not possible even if we wanted to have players taking that level of risk.

But there are legitimate complaints on both ends of the spectrum: when bad calls have disparate impact on a competitive game and when bad no-calls lead players to think that a particular officiating crew is letting them play closer to the edge--resulting in injury.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: 31to6 on May 19, 2016, 01:25:18 pm
You are mostly correct. The problem with the rule is not the rule, it is the inconsistent implementation.

Targeting is called and players have been ejected when later replay showed it to be far from cut and dried.

Conversely, players have been carted off the field after what replay later showed to obviously be targeting but no flag was thrown.

I don't think anyone can effectively defend the notion of going back to a pre-targeting-rule football. With what we understand about concussions, it is just not possible even if we wanted to have players taking that level of risk.

But there are legitimate complaints on both ends of the spectrum: when bad calls have disparate impact on a competitive game and when bad no-calls lead players to think that a particular officiating crew is letting them play closer to the edge--resulting in injury.

About this same time, I recall watching helmets flying through mid-heaven at a remarkable pace. They make a simple penalty of having to go out a play when you lose your bonnet and suddenly helmets were strapped down and fitting again. How unsafe was that stunt? Just to say, you almost have to legislate good sense on the playing field. Kids are too reckless with their health.

I'm happy the SEC office is trying to be more fair about a very punitive penalty. But what is launching and targeting has been very subjective so far. They do need to clean up a consistent definition. And some of these offensive players are equally guilty as well.

flynhog

Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.