Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the greatest Razorback football player ever? Let us know ....

Started by Philip Seaton, May 09, 2016, 02:33:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Seaton

If you are like us at Game On with Wess Moore, we can never get enough football so why not stretch that into the summer?

During the month of May, we will be collecting your thoughts on the all-time Arkansas Razorback football players. After the results are tabulated, we'll release 100 through 51 at FoxSportsArkansas.com, then we will count down from number 50 to from number 1, one a day, starting in June, leading into what should be another exciting season.

The rankings are regardless of position, so any position, any year. The order is important so your all-time favorite or who you think is the all-time best in the top position and so on (current Razorback football players are excluded).

Now, the poll on this page http://www.foxsportsarkansas.com/rank-the-all-time-greatest-arkansas-razorback-football-players/ is limited to 25, we did that because, well, taking time to fill out 100 names may be too tedious for some. However, if that Razorback passion runs so deep and you want to rank 1 through 100, you can do so by sending an e-mail to philip@foxsportsarkansas.com.

Of course, those that at only want to go one or 10 down, they will be counted too, but why add not Ish Ordonez? Every vote counts but please limit to one person please.

The deadline to enter your rankings to get counted is 2 p.m. on May 27. Why 2 p.m.? Well, the show runs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. each weekday on 93.7 FM in Benton and Little Rock, 99.7 FM in Hot Springs, 106.9 FM in Arkadelphia, 105.5 iFM n Nashville,  690 AM in Saline County and of course always streaming live at foxsportsarkansas.com.

Okay, we know that is shameless plug there, but you get the point. So put on your thinking cap (better a Hog Hat) and get your Hog Call heard.

Again, if you want to rank 1 through 100, send your rankings to philip@foxsportsarkansas.com.

Woo Pig Sooiee

Pigsknuckles

Not sure if he qualifies for "the Best", but the player I enjoyed watching the most was Matt Jones. Whenever the ball was in his hands you knew something great might happen. I still grieve for his disappointing professional performance.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

rhames

McFadden would be it no question if we didn't crap the bed vs LSU and Florida in 2006
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ICEman

Gary Anderson ran a 33 sec 330 yd (300m) at an indoor track meet.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

MJ2

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 13, 2016, 08:14:11 am
Not sure if he qualifies for "the Best", but the player I enjoyed watching the most was Matt Jones. Whenever the ball was in his hands you knew something great might happen. I still grieve for his disappointing professional performance.

Yes, he was/is the best.    Next question.

code red

Quote from: ICEman on May 13, 2016, 08:29:51 am
Gary Anderson ran a 33 sec 330 yd (300m) at an indoor track meet.
Anderson was a beast no doubt....Kenoy Kennedy and Atwater gotta be up there too.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

EastexHawg

Ronnie Caveness may be the best football player we've ever put on the field.  He was a tackling machine.  If he had been eligible four years like the players of today and had spent his entire career at linebacker the school record for career tackles would be out of reach.

EastexHawg

Quote from: MJ2 on May 13, 2016, 10:38:34 am
Yes, he was/is the best.    Next question.

Concur.  If Gomer had designed an offense for him and utilized him like and as much as Texas used Vince Young...but, alas, he WAS Gomer.  At the time Matt finished his eligibility he had run for more yards per carry than anyone in SEC history, but he didn't have enough carries to qualify.  The greatest broken field runner in the history of the SEC, and his coach couldn't figure out a way to get him more than 383 rushing attempts in four years.

Despite all that he still gained more yards and accounted for more touchdowns than any Hog in history.  All I knew from the first time I saw him with the ball in his hands was that I had never seen anyone like him.  I still haven't.

Hugo Bezdek

McFadden was definitely a once in generation type player...maybe the best.

If you're willing to let the NFL Draft be your guide, then Lamar McHan was the number 2 pick in the 1954 draft. That's a little before my time though  ;D  Dan Hampton and Billy Ray Smith, Jr were also Top 5 picks. Can't go wrong with either of those guys.

Loyd Phillips won the Outland Trophy, as did Bud Brooks.

k.c.hawg

I would start with several of our highest draft picks that I watched throughout their career, Billy Ray Smith Jr, Dan Hampton, DMac, Steve Atwater, Gary Anderson and a guy that is off the radar some but as enjoyable to watch as anyone I can remember Dirt Winston. I was at the USC game where he put on the most dominating defensive performance I've ever seen by a college player. A few guys I didn't see but were spoke of often by my dad Loyd Phillips (I saw a couple of years of) Lance Alworth, Lamar McHan and Clyde Scott.

I loved watching Matt Jones but couldn't come close to putting him in my top 10.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Vantage 8 dude

Interesting but totally subjective poll that will suffer from many participants not ever having seen such athletes such as Clyde Scott, Lamar McHan, Dave Hanner, Billy Ray Smith, Sr. and perhaps to some degree Lance Alworth. While this doesn't make the vote any less interesting, what it does do is very likely slant the results toward the more recent nominees who are far more likely to have eyewitnesses (and voters) to their performances/achievements. Whether that means the results are any less/more valid certainly is open to debate.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 13, 2016, 12:11:31 pm
Concur.  If Gomer had designed an offense for him and utilized him like and as much as Texas used Vince Young...but, alas, he WAS Gomer.  At the time Matt finished his eligibility he had run for more yards per carry than anyone in SEC history, but he didn't have enough carries to qualify.  The greatest broken field runner in the history of the SEC, and his coach couldn't figure out a way to get him more than 383 rushing attempts in four years.

Despite all that he still gained more yards and accounted for more touchdowns than any Hog in history.  All I knew from the first time I saw him with the ball in his hands was that I had never seen anyone like him.  I still haven't.

Hands down the most squandered talent we've ever had on the Hill. MJ was electrifying. Nutt's lasting legacy as far as I'm concerned is that he wasn't able to win a championship with MJ or McFadden.

wikipedia brown

Not a number one, but, Sam Olajabutu (spelling) should be on that list somewhere. He played like his ass was on fire every down.

RollHogTide

My nominations would be - Joe Ferguson, Steve Atwater, Dan Hampton, Pat Summerall, and Brandon Burlsworth (emotional choice).

Ex-Trumpet

My votes would have to go to these guys, in no particular order:

Steve Atwater
Dan Hampton
Lance Alworth

And if kickers are considered football players then Steve Little would also be in the conversation.  (Pat Summerall may be the best known).
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

pigture perfect

Clyde Scott was the best probably, especially for his time. Lance Alworth, DMac, Dan Hampton, MJ, BRS II, Steve Atwater, Garry Anderson, Ronnie Caveness and Lloyd Phillips round out my Top 10.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Chuck Beavers

Sivad

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 13, 2016, 11:56:16 am
Ronnie Caveness may be the best football player we've ever put on the field.  He was a tackling machine.  If he had been eligible four years like the players of today and had spent his entire career at linebacker the school record for career tackles would be out of reach.
A valid choice.

26.2Hog

Torqued pork

LZH

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 13, 2016, 12:11:31 pm

The first year I had my SEZ indoor seats was MJ's freshman season. Those seats were great because I could sit and watch the entire play unfold from the same perspective as the quarterback or the free safety. When he came in against Mississippi State, he immediately had about a 50-yard run. Every single kid on Mississippi state's defense had a shot at tackling him, but they absolutely just could not get him down. It was like a damn video game. I knew right then he was going to be something special. I just didn't know how special.

thebignasty

Quote from: LZH on May 14, 2016, 07:20:32 am
The first year I had my SEZ indoor seats was MJ's freshman season. Those seats were great because I could sit and watch the entire play unfold from the same perspective as the quarterback or the free safety. When he came in against Mississippi State, he immediately had about a 50-yard run. Every single kid on Mississippi state's defense had a shot at tackling him, but they absolutely just could not get him down. It was like a damn video game. I knew right then he was going to be something special. I just didn't know how special.

My dad and I were at that game, near the visitors section. We still talk about that game sometimes because neither of us had seen a guy like that.  Also because the misstate fans were more bemused than pissed- whenever Matt loped around and made some kind of bizarre miracle play even opposing fans couldn't deny being entertained.

DMac was probably a better player,  and certainly electrifying. Matt was the most fun I've ever had watching .500 football though.

Cinco de Hogo

Matt Jones, any player that can make watching .500 football as entertaining as he did is special. At no other time in my life can I say that about a single player.  Usually winning comes before entertainment for me because it's a statewide achievement.  I can find other entertainment but there is only One Razorback.  There are 99 players I would put 2-100 and not care so much were they fall but my number one will always be Matt.

rzrbackramsfan

It's gotta be that 5* corner we had. Darrius Winston I believe was his name.

fieldturf

Don't forget about the thumper Wayne Harris!!!  Alworth was great also.

bphi11ips

How do you define "best football player"? 

If you define "best" by pure athleticism, you could make a good case for Clyde Scott, Lance Alworth, Jerry Eckwood (before his freshman knee injury), Steve Atwater, Matt Jones or Darren McFadden. 

If physical domination is the test, Loyd Phillips, Dan Hampton or Shawn Andrews are hard to beat.

For sheer ferocity, Dennis Winston would be hard to beat, with honorable mentions to Atwater and Ken Hamlin.

If it's football IQ and leadership, Bill Montgomery.  Honorable mentions to Hunter Henry and Quinn Grovey.

If the best player is one that carried his team on his back, Darren McFadden and Matt Jones would be hard to beat, but McFadden had more help than Jones.

If I had to choose one placekicker to kick a 50-yard FG to win a NC, it would be Zach Hocker.

If the best player is the best QB to build a team around, I'd go with Ryan Mallett.

At the end of the day, I would choose Darren McFadden as the best player I have ever seen in a Razorbacks uniform.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

reddogjcss

razorbacker3

Come on guys.....2 time Doak Walker winner(best running back nationally)
                          TWO time Heisman Trophy runner up
                           All Time leading rusher in Razorback history
                          2nd all time in SEC rushing yards
nuff said

Torqued pork

arsuperhog

I was the best ever.  You should of seen my stats that year I created myself on the Play Station!

arsuperhog

But seriously, I would put D-Mac 1 and Matt Jones 2.  Matt was electric with the ball in his hands, but D-Mac could play every position equally as well.  We might not have won a single SEC game in two years without him. 

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 13, 2016, 12:35:24 pm
Interesting but totally subjective poll that will suffer from many participants not ever having seen such athletes such as Clyde Scott, Lamar McHan, Dave Hanner, Billy Ray Smith, Sr. and perhaps to some degree Lance Alworth. While this doesn't make the vote any less interesting, what it does do is very likely slant the results toward the more recent nominees who are far more likely to have eyewitnesses (and voters) to their performances/achievements. Whether that means the results are any less/more valid certainly is open to debate.

Hey, I voted for Steve Creekmore on my list.

PonderinHog

Quote from: fieldturf on May 14, 2016, 01:20:51 pm
Don't forget about the thumper Wayne Harris!!!  Alworth was great also.
Just think where Walt Disney would be without their inspiration!  We're talkin' about a whole industry here, folks!  No brainer.

root_hawg

Is it just his time as a hog or does it involve pro time cause that would shoot Dmac way down the list and Jason Peters way up...

BigE_23

The criteria for selection plays a big part in the answer. First of all, ERA is everything. The players of the 60s and 70s were great, but football was different and so were the men who played it. You had 250 pound offensive linemen then, versus the behemoths we see today. Second, are we just talking about their career at Arkansas, or their NFL careers as well? Because that changes things. Some of our best players weren't contributors in the league. That said, I would rank the GOATS with the following list:

1.) Lance Alworth
2.) Darren McFadden
3.) Steve Atwater
4.) Dan Hampton
5.) Shawn Andrews

Honorable mention: Ken Hamlin, Dick Bumpas, Brandon Burlsworth, Billy Ray Smith, Gary Anderson, Steve Little

bvillepig

CallMeAl

Hog since birth.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Kenny Buzzhog

Lots of people forget about Wayne Martin. Not saying the best but probably top 10 IMO. Had a pretty good pro career as well if I remember correctly.

longtimeHogfan

At the risk of giving hootie credit he doesn't deserve.....Shawn Andrews.  He once said that along the offensive line that's one spot he doesn't have to worry about.  Because Shawn Andrews' man won't be getting to the QB. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

SantaHog

Dan Hampton was the best I ever saw in a Razorback uniform.  Opposing offenses had to double him each down or run to the other side to have a chance.  Most of you haven't seen any footage of his games, except maybe the 78 Orange Bowl, but if you study the game you will enjoy watching the way he disrupted opposing offenses.   

EastexHawg

Quote from: SantaHog on May 16, 2016, 10:45:14 am
Dan Hampton was the best I ever saw in a Razorback uniform.  Opposing offenses had to double him each down or run to the other side to have a chance.  Most of you haven't seen any footage of his games, except maybe the 78 Orange Bowl, but if you study the game you will enjoy watching the way he disrupted opposing offenses.   

I only voted for five...and he was one of them.

code red

Jason Peters gotta be top 30.  For what he has done in the NFL.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Proud member of the War Memorial Mafia

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 13, 2016, 12:35:24 pm
This is very true, and I fall into that category. So, with that disclaimer:

1) DMac- He was the best college RB, athlete, and overall football player I have ever seen.
2) Matt Jones- I mention him because I think he could have been the best, but he was hampered by a poor work ethic and equally poor coaching. I know, DMac had the same coach, but Hootie was never known as the "Running Back Killa".
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

TOM "tbw1"

Wayne Harris defined being a Razorback
Lamar McHan
Loyd Phllips
Dan Hampton
Clyde Scott
Lance Alworth
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

MJ2

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 14, 2016, 10:54:22 am
Matt Jones, any player that can make watching .500 football as entertaining as he did is special. At no other time in my life can I say that about a single player.  Usually winning comes before entertainment for me because it's a statewide achievement.  I can find other entertainment but there is only One Razorback.  There are 99 players I would put 2-100 and not care so much were they fall but my number one will always be Matt.

+1

El Puerco Grande

It is just one man's opinion, but I think if Matt Jones had had the work ethic and attitude of Tim Tebow, along with a top notch coach, there wouldn't be any argument about the best ever. Jones was a laid back, lazy, biological freak.
How 'bout them hogs?