Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The SEC is not the best football conference

Started by Hoggie17, September 21, 2017, 02:50:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

In 2016 only one one team it the SEC had less than 4 loses.  Imagine what BP or HDN would have done in a weak conference like we are now. I think the SEC is the weakest it has been since we joined the SEC.   

Hoggie17

Except for Ala the SEC is on a down hill skid, and still CBB can't win.

Hoggie17

Arkansas has been good since Broyles first year and it stayed that way until Hatfield quit. We had a few bad years but HDN brought the program back up to respectable.  CBP took us to a new level with 11 wins in his last year.  Long fired CBP in April of 2012, we have been losers since.

HamSammich

For a while I was a SEC just beats itself up kind of guy. But you are right. This conference has the best players but not the best teams. Acc and big ten are ahead of us. I put it on coaching

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 21, 2017, 03:13:38 pm
Arkansas has been good since Broyles first year and it stayed that way until Hatfield quit. We had a few bad years but HDN brought the program back up to respectable.  CBP took us to a new level with 11 wins in his last year.  Long fired CBP in April of 2012, we have been losers since.

Who is this "WE" you speak of kind sir???  ???

Hoggie17

Quote from: HamSammich on September 21, 2017, 03:20:18 pm
For a while I was a SEC just beats itself up kind of guy. But you are right. This conference has the best players but not the best teams. Acc and big ten are ahead of us. I put it on coaching
That's especially true in our case.

Hoggie17

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 21, 2017, 03:22:56 pm
Who is this "WE" you speak of kind sir???  ???
The Hogs record when we first entered the SEC.  Let's not be Drama  Queen over this.   

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 21, 2017, 02:50:18 pm
In 2016 only one one team it the SEC had less than 4 loses.  Imagine what BP or HDN would have done in a weak conference like we are now. I think the SEC is the weakest it has been since we joined the SEC.   
Tell me something i don't know. i have been saying this for years.it's no better than any other power 5 conference.the sec has Alabama,and not much else.UGA is ok.and that's about it.

Hoggie17

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 21, 2017, 03:29:18 pm
Tell me something i don't know. i have been saying this for years.it's no better than any other power 5 conference.the sec has Alabama,and not much else.UGA is ok.and that's about it.
FCJ I am sick of the excuses that some on here make that CBB can't win because it so much harder to win than was in the HDN and CBP years. It's easier to win.

ShadowHawg

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 21, 2017, 02:50:18 pm

It's the Saban effect. That's why the SEC doesn't attract the best coaches. Why go to a conference where you know who will win it every year? But you still have the high expectations of winning the division or conference from fan bases. I guess this is how Pac-8 basketball fans felt in the '60s. When Saban retires you'll start seeing good coaches come back to the conference.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hobhog

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 21, 2017, 03:03:43 pm
Except for Ala the SEC is on a down hill skid, and still CBB can't win.

How do you know?  We have played two games.  Are you psychic?   As far as previous years;   I guess you forgot about wins against Florida,  Tennessee,   Texas Tech,   Texas Longhorns,   LSU,  Ole Miss,  Auburn,  Miss. State,  Missouri, Kansas State,  TCU.   Do those count?   
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Hoggie17

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 21, 2017, 03:37:39 pm
Houston Nutt coached in a weak SEC.
Here are the National Champs while HDN was here.

1998   Tennessee   Alderson, AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN   Yes
2003   LSU   BCS, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, Massey, NFF, Sagarin, Seattle Times, USA/ESPN   Yes
2006   Florida   BCS, USA Today, AP   Yes
2007   LSU   BCS, USA Today, AP   Yes
2008   Florida   BCS, USA Today, AP   Yes
2009   Alabama   BCS, USA Today, AP   Yes
2010   Auburn   BCS, USA Today, AP   Yes
2011   Alabama   BCS, USA Today, AP   Yes
2012   Alabama   BCS, USA Today, AP   Yes
2015   Alabama   CFP, USA Today, AP   Yes

While HDN was here the whole SEC was good:

1998 Tenn
2003 LSU
2006 Fla
2007 LSU
2008 Fla

While CBP was here:
2009 Ala
2010 Aub
2011 Ala

Since CBB has been here it has been all Ala, The Conference has gotten weaker each year starting in 2012 and has been weaker each year since. You just can't change the facts.  CBB has been in a weaker conference than either HDN or CBP. He has lost more than he has won.

GoHogs1091

Other than Saban, Mullen, Stoops, and Mason, the rest of the conference has mediocre head coaching.

Other than Nick Fitzgerald, the rest of the QB play across the SEC is subpar.

The defensive line play across the SEC is not like what it used to be.

There are really no dominant Running Backs across the SEC.

All-in-all, the SEC is a watered down conference that has 1 high level team (Alabama), and 13 wannabes.

Hogarusa

Hasnt been the best for multiple seasons. Its Bama and everyone else. No surprise when you lose the likes of Petrino, Richt, Spurrier, Franklin, Miles, Pinkiel, Urban, etc in a short time span.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

phadedhawg

There's plenty to be said for the OP's point, we did lose a lot more games last season.  However, Alabama is still Bama and as long as we are in their division, we'd be blocked from Atlanta.  Petrino, Nutt, Hatfield, on their best days, probably couldn't beat the Alabama team we've know for the last half a decade...maybe more?

GoHogzzGo

Yup SEC has been down for a couple years now and will stay that way. Too bad we can't capitalize. Can't be losing to Mizzou. Need to go 3-2 or better against TAMU, Ole Miss, Aub, MSU. Then beat dwindling Mizzou and USCe. We did beat Florida so I'll give him that.

Oh and Nick Saban retire already gosh darn it, or go to the East.

Mike Shula was 26-23 at Alabama, let that set in.

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

NaturalStateReb

The level of coaching is down from just 3 or 4 years ago.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HamSammich

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 21, 2017, 04:19:40 pm
Hasnt been the best for multiple seasons. Its Bama and everyone else. No surprise when you lose the likes of Petrino, Richt, Spurrier, Franklin, Miles, Pinkiel, Urban, etc in a short time span.

I was hard headed for a while. But you are right

/thread

Hoggie17

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on September 21, 2017, 04:28:01 pm
Yup SEC has been down for a couple years now and will stay that way. Too bad we can't capitalize. Can't be losing to Mizzou. Need to go 3-2 or better against TAMU, Ole Miss, Aub, MSU. Then beat dwindling Mizzou and USCe. We did beat Florida so I'll give him that.

Oh and Nick Saban retire already gosh darn it, or go to the East.

Mike Shula was 26-23 at Alabama, let that set in.
Alabama is recruiting better than any team in the USA, they would be winning  in any other conference. The other teams are not that good, we should be doing much better.  At the very least we should doing as good as HDN.  There is no excuse that we should have coach is in 5th year with a losing record.