Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fantom

how would you feel about the vuvuzela. or that stupid soccer song. :razorback:

jbcarol

"We've got to respect the bell so we can keep this tradition alive," Coach Mullen told several hundred students on campus Tuesday night.

QuoteMullen's plea comes one day after it came out that Mississippi State had been told it has violated the Southeastern Conference's noisemaker policy. MSU athletic director Scott Stricklin said he expects the school to be fined, and the future of the cowbell at Davis Wade Stadium beyond this season is in serious doubt.

Since the 1970s, cowbells were deemed illegal noisemakers by the SEC, yet thousands of Mississippi State fans would sneak them into the stadium with few repercussions. But during the SEC's most recent summer meetings, the conference made the cowbell legal with the stipulation that they are only used during dead ball moments — like timeouts, halftime and after scoring plays.

"You can't tell fans how to cheer. Rules just cause rebellion," Peyton said Georgia game. "Fan bases are built out of culture, not regulation."

Chad Bumphis, a sophomore from Tupelo who plays receiver for Mississippi State's football team, said the players love the cowbell tradition. He also added that he didn't think the extra noise generated a competitive advantage.

"We can't even hear it," Bumphis said. "If you can hear that on the field, then you've got bigger problems than cowbells. I honestly don't know what's bothering people."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

We use them at our HS Football Games when you get 1000 cow bells going at the same time it can cause a Heck of a Racket!  I can just image what it sounds like at MSU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JONAS

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 27, 2010, 01:45:25 pm
We use them at our HS Football Games when you get 1000 cow bells going at the same time it can cause a Heck of a Racket!  I can just image what it sounds like at MSU!

We use to fill coke cans with rocks and shake them at our games here in North Mississippi. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: JONAS on October 27, 2010, 05:04:50 pm
We use to fill coke cans with rocks and shake them at our games here in North Mississippi. 

We used to yell and clap our hands.

Yeah, I know it sounds like a lot of effort, but that's what we used to do.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 27, 2010, 05:13:07 pm

Barbarian!

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 27, 2010, 05:13:07 pm

+1
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

jbcarol

Cowbell issue has gotten too big for its breeches

QuoteThis cowbell issue has gotten a bit big for its britches, and the fans are to blame. If I'm Stricklin, and I'm having to write a fat check out of my relatively small bank account because some idiots have no self-control or consideration, then next season I'm sending some muscular security guards through the stands to take those cowbells away.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

lazyj70

Will MSU be punished after this season for ringing those d@mn cow bells!  I know that there was a ruling on this that said more or less that if they rang them they may or may not be punished at the end of the season. What the hell kind of ruling is that?  Either it is against the rules or it isn't. Right?

josh_sec33

they made a "compromise" and well, up until the last home game, they were in serious violation of the compromise. After Slive basically said penalties are a-comin' they shaped up...for a game.

Basically, they can ring them, as long as the clock isn't running when Bama has the ball and it's a time out situation. Otherwise they can ring them all they want.

I want those damn things gone personally.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

JONAS

They will be ringing next week during our game.

josh_sec33

Bobby needs to get a bunch of students to volunteer to sit and watch practice and ring cowbells all week long.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

lazyj70

I hope they get the stuff fined out of them. If anyone else had a noise maker the sec would throw the book at 'em.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: lazyj70 on November 13, 2010, 09:13:34 pm
I hope they get the stuff fined out of them. If anyone else had a noise maker the sec would throw the book at 'em.

Ole Miss has Danny Nutt and they don't get fined for all the grunting he does.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

sanfordhog

Why can't we bring cowbells into the stadium?  What would MSU think of a little cowbell when their offense was on the field?

lazyj70

Quote from: sanfordhog on November 13, 2010, 10:09:29 pm
Why can't we bring cowbells into the stadium?  What would MSU think of a little cowbell when their offense was on the field?

They are probably used to them, but I do agree that they need a dose of their own medicine.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: fantom on October 27, 2010, 02:29:38 am
how would you feel about the vuvuzela. or that stupid soccer song. :razorback:

"If I could come back as anything after I die, I would come back as a vuvuzela. I would be able to be annoying as hell but still get blown a lot, amirite?"
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

PennaHog

Quote from: LAHOGG on June 03, 2010, 09:33:04 am
If they start calling atleast one 15 yard penalty a game on the home team that would stop it real quick.

Exactly

Beat MSU!!!
WPS GHG
:razorback:
This comment is the absolute dumbest thing ever said on this board:

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 05, 2010, 01:03:52 am
I thought you were a military man? 
You would think, serving our great country, would have taught you some respect for authority.
Lando is a moderator.  Respect his authority.

fantom

WoooPigSooie

Quote from: BallHog1 on October 26, 2010, 11:33:46 am

If they take away the cowbells how will MSU call their cheerleaders out of the pasture to the stadium?

This post did not go unnoticed. 

Nice Hustle.
"The Heisman is supposed to define college football's most outstanding football player.

I saw him here Saturday night. Darren McFadden."

Hawgndaaz

big_ol_meat

To all the virgins, thanks for nothing.

idochog

I think we should bring some vuvuzellas to the game and play them when they have the ball
I love Jesus!

jbcarol

Will this be State's last legal game with the bells?

jbcarol

Predict this will be the last nite for the cowbells.

Plus max fine.

jbcarol

RedRock

Quote from: IronHog on June 04, 2010, 02:23:38 pm
I'm carrying a duck call to the next game I attend.

You want noise?  Get 20-30K Arkansans blowing a call!

If we were the Oregon Ducks, I would be all over this.

hillhog

Quote from: Cole1976 on June 19, 2010, 10:33:26 am
Personally -- the fine (unless its VERY steep) will do nothing.  Put it like this -- the first possession of each quarter (first infraction) will incur a 15 yard penalty for that game.  Then each time bell is heard during "non dead play" time its another 15 yard penalty.  I know harsh, but its the only way to make it even. 

Besides that is THE MOST annoying soundmaker available.
This would work, fines will not

hard_reign2004

I was wondering what the rules were for them and looked this up.  Haven't watched more than 1st quarter due to having to be up at 3 Eastern time but it seemed they broke these rules all night long.

--The cowbell compromise, a one-year rule allowing MSU fans to use their traditional noisemakers during stoppages of play (such as timeouts, after scores and at halftime). MSU was said to have broken that rule more than once this season, according the SEC and the future of the cowbell is in peril.--

Obviously we got the win which is the only thing that matters but in you guys opinions did the cowbells come into play at all during the game? 

labb

I think that the Cow bells are a MSU tradition just as the Hog Call is for us. No big deal.

hawgeathawg

Artificial noisemakers should either be illegal or not...if MSU can use them, let everyone else as well.

code red

Quote from: hawgeathawg on November 21, 2010, 08:28:23 am
Artificial noisemakers should either be illegal or not...if MSU can use them, let everyone else as well.
Agreed...otherwise everyone in the SEC needs to start a new tradition....
Quote from: hawgeathawg on November 21, 2010, 08:28:23 am
Agreed...otherwise everyone in the SEC needs to start a new tradition.  Vuvuzelas, inflatible clappers etc.  Cowbells at State is a tradition but, it is CHEATING IMHO
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

beantownhog

November 21, 2010, 08:49:04 am #133 Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:55:03 am by beantownhog
I am not bothered by the cowbells, either; I, however, am not a player. Additionally, the ringing of cowbells is against the rules when the football is in play; so ringing them during that time is, in effect, cheating.

I have wondered if the SEC really cares about the cowbell issue.  If they are really interested in stopping the bells, one solution might be offsetting penalties.  For example, if MSUs opponent gets flagged for a false start, the officials could simultaneously flag the Bulldogs for their fans' use of artificial noisemakers (makes sense, after all the noise may hay caused the miscommunication at the line of scrimmage).  The result, both penalties would result in a free play for MSUs opponent!  This should extend to EVERY flag--even late hits!  After all, if a player can't hear a whistle, how can the player be aware that play has stopped?

Again, this is just a suggestion, but it might result in the disappearance of the cowbells--at least during play!
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

TeufelHog

Give credit where credit is due.  99% of the Miss St fans used their cow bells appropriately.  Few used them during the opponents (Razorbacks) possessions.  It's a great tradition for them, they were responsibly used and their tradition should continue.  It's another reason why the SEC is a great conference to be!

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 21, 2010, 09:04:11 am
Give credit where credit is due.  99% of the Miss St fans used their cow bells appropriately.  Few used them during the opponents (Razorbacks) possessions.  It's a great tradition for them, they were responsibly used and their tradition should continue.  It's another reason why the SEC is a great conference to be!
I humbly disagree.  I heard plenty of cowbell on the FG attempts and several other times as well.

BOAR_N2BWILD

The origin of the cowbell traces back to the early days of MSU football in which the men had no other means of locating their wives after the game. ;D ;)
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Johnny America

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 21, 2010, 09:08:17 am
I humbly disagree.  I heard plenty of cowbell on the FG attempts and several other times as well.

Yeah, they use them all the time.
God is not real.

BOAR_N2BWILD

This is simply incorrect- go back and watch any third down play! Any critical point of the game is affected by the inappropriate use of the cowbells.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Doug

Source:  http://www.mstateathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=926236

The Cowbell
The most unique and certainly the most resounding symbol of Mississippi State University tradition is the cowbell. Despite decades of attempts by opponents and authorities to banish it from scenes of competition, diehard State fans still celebrate Bulldog victories loudly and proudly with the distinctive sound of ringing cowbells.

The precise origin of the cowbell as a fixture of Mississippi State sports tradition remains unclear to this day. The best records have cowbells gradually introduced to the MSU sports scene in the late 1930s and early 1940s, coinciding with the 'golden age' of Mississippi State football success
prior to World War II.

The most popular legend is that during a home football game between State and arch-rival Mississippi, a jersey cow wandered onto the playing field. Mississippi State soundly whipped the Rebels that Saturday, and State College students immediately adopted the cow as a good luck charm. Students are said to have continued bringing a cow to football games for a while, until the practice was eventually discontinued in favor of bringing just the cow's bell.

Whatever the origin, it is certain that by the 1950s cowbells were common at Mississippi State games, and by the 1960s were established as the special symbol of Mississippi State. Ironically, the cowbell's popularity grew most rapidly during the long years when State football teams were rarely successful. Flaunting this anachronism from the 'aggie' days was a proud response by students and alumni to outsider scorn of the university's 'cow college' history.

In the 1960s two MSU professors, Earl W. Terrell and Ralph L. Reeves obliged some students by welding handles on the bells to they could be rung with much more convenience and authority. By 1963 the demand for these long-handled cowbells could not be filled by home workshops alone, so at the suggestion of Reeves the Student Association bought bells in bulk and the Industrial Education Club agreed to weld on handles. In 1964 the MSU Bookstore began marketing these cowbells with a portion of the profits returning to these student organizations.

Today many styles of cowbells are available on campus and around Starkville, with the top-of-the-line a heavy chrome-plated model with a full Bulldog figurine handle. But experts insist the best and loudest results are produced by a classic long-handled, bicycle-grip bell made of thinner and tightly-welded shells.

Cowbells decorate offices and homes of Mississippi State alumni, and are passed down through generations of Bulldog fans. But they are not heard at Southeastern Conference gamesnot legally, at leastsince the 1974 adoption of a conference rule against 'artificial noisemakers' at football and basketball games. On a 9-1 vote SEC schools ruled cowbells a disruption and banned them.

This has done little harm to the cowbell's popularity, however, or to prevent cowbells from being heard outside stadiums in which the Bulldogs are playing. They can still be heard at non-conference football contests, as well as other sporting events on campus. And bold Bulldog fans still risk confiscation for the privilege of keeping a unique Mississippi State tradition alive and ringing at SEC affairs
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

MM-gohogs

Quote from: labb on November 21, 2010, 08:23:25 am
I think that the Cow bells are a MSU tradition just as the Hog Call is for us. No big deal.

well that's pretty dumb. see, with the hog call, our voices are the noise maker. and with the cowbell, that's an artificial noise maker. i just heard LSU started a new tradition where on the road they bring air horns to the game and they just use them all the time. so we have to allow them for their away fans at WMS.
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

RZRBack_FAN

I was there in section W which is the Hog section and heard Cow Bells on about every single play that we had the ball. Alot of fans respected the rule and alot didn't. Sometimes it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. If they are allowed to continue withthe cowbell then I think we should start a Air Horn tradition at Arkansas in tradition of our newfound Air Attack.

MM-gohogs

AYFKM? were you watching women's volleyball on ESPN 8, the ocho? they're only suppose to use them during touchdowns, time outs, halftime. if 30,000 of the 50,000 brought cowbells and only 1,000 of the 30,000 people used them illegally, while that is "a few" it's still a violation of the rules. MSUs ushers should do their job and ask those who violate the rule to leave.

fred ziffel

I imagine Hocker and our deep snapper heard them....ban the damn cowbells!
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

The Hogfather

Quote from: labb on November 21, 2010, 08:23:25 am

We don't use artificial noisemakers.  They should be banned permanently.

fred ziffel

May we should use those silly horns they used in the World Cup Soccer matches when we play MSU next year....and blow them during the snap count...let's call them "pig snout" horns. :)
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

elviscat

The cowbells should be ban or give us a chance to use air horn. What's the diffenence??

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: fred ziffel on November 21, 2010, 10:09:17 am
May we should use those silly horns they used in the World Cup Soccer matches when we play MSU next year....and blow them during the snap count...let's call them "pig snout" horns. :)

Vevuzela's should be illegal to possess, much less be utilized at sporting events.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

MM-gohogs

mallett was sacked with 7 minutes left in the second and 99% of the cowbells in the place sounded.

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 21, 2010, 10:17:10 am
Vevuzela's should be illegal to possess, much less be utilized at sporting events.
they were a cool fad or 30 days in the summer of 2010, like the macarena of summers past.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: code red on November 21, 2010, 08:43:28 am
Agreed...otherwise everyone in the SEC needs to start a new tradition....Agreed...otherwise everyone in the SEC needs to start a new tradition.  Vuvuzelas, inflatible clappers etc.  Cowbells at State is a tradition but, it is CHEATING IMHO
kinda like Auburn's "tradition" of BUYING PLAYERS!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang