General Sports Discussion > Fairways and Greens

Wedges

Pages: (1/1)

GolfNut57:

How many do you carry in your bag? Which is your best club of the wedge group? I carry four wedges, PW, UW (aka GW), SW, and the LW. My LW is 60 degree so I am thinking of buying a fifth wedge with a loft of 64 degrees but not sure I should or if I would even be able to hit it well enough to justify adding it to the bag.

Reason why is since I have lost the weight I have pretty much gained 20 yards or so with each wedge. I used to hit my LW 60 yards with a full swing but now it is going 75-80 yards. Now when I have a shot of 40-50 yards and I try to choke down on the LW or taking just a half swing with it I usually screw the shot up royally by hitting it fat or thin. Thus I have the idea that maybe I should think about a 64 degree wedge. I know just about any teaching pro would tell me to take my lazy ass to the range and work on my short game but...........being your typical hacker I would rather try to "buy" myself a new shot.

Your thoughts?

theFlyingHog:

I have a PW of course, and I carry a 54. Recently started hitting a 56 as I'd like to get a 50 or 52 to fill in that gap between 54 and PW. I need a lot of practice with the 56 and can't imagine getting any more loft than that. Have never had a problem doing anything I want with the 54 though

ricepig:

I just drive the green......

GolfNut57:


--- Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2017, 09:51:54 am ---I just drive the green......

--- End quote ---

Doesn't the greens keeper get mad at you for driving the golf cart onto the green though?

ricepig:


--- Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 23, 2017, 10:13:41 am ---Doesn't the greens keeper get mad at you for driving the golf cart onto the green though?

--- End quote ---

Nah, I keep him stocked with good scotch.

GolfNut57:


--- Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2017, 12:37:24 pm ---Nah, I keep him stocked with good scotch.

--- End quote ---

And does he tell you to "kill every gofer on the golf course"?

ricepig:


--- Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 23, 2017, 01:22:38 pm ---And does he tell you to "kill every gofer on the golf course"?

--- End quote ---

Not me, but he told Carl too.

clutch:

PW, 52, 56. I've got pretty good feel for my 56 and use it from about 105-110 all the way in.

If I were you I'd probably just try laying back some. If you know you aren't going to be able to reach the green, lay up at the distance you can take a full swing at. Don't leave yourself those 50 yard shots.

Boarcephus:

I guess I carry 5 wedges.  PW I hit 125, AW at 115, SW at 100, LW at 80-85 and a 64 I hit around 60-65. I bought the Cleveland 64 and love it just off the green when the ball settles down in the rough.  Amazing how easily the ball comes out.

Hawg414:

i carry a PW, a 56 and a 60.  of course my PW is 51*. 
everyone plays different, but for me personally, i see no reason to ever take a full swing with any club inside 80 yards or so.  just too much margin for error.  if im a "full LW" out, i'll hit an easy SW.  or a full SW out, i'll hit an easy PW.  i generally use a SW out of bunkers, either the SW or PW for chipping.... and i only use the LW for what i would call "finesse" shots around the green.  short sided chip shots for instance. 

i'm also a relatively short hitter, so for me to carry 4 or 5 wedges, i'd have to eliminate 1 or 2 of my longer clubs.  and i cant afford to do that.  i have never once found myself in a situation where neither my 51, nor 56, nor 60 would do what i needed.  conversely, i routinely find myself in situations where i need a longer hybrid.. or a 2 iron.. or a 4 wood.. etc.  the clubs on that end of the bag are far more valuable to me than an additional wedge or two. 

onebadrubi:

Pw, 50,56 and 60.

I use my 56 from everything from 50-100 yards out.  I love the one and two bounce and stop shots from 50-80 yards out.  I also can take it up high but can't control spin of on some nice greens.

Rarely hit 60 out of the fairway as I dont think anything me should.

Don't buy a 64, take your 56 and learn to hit a lower shorter shot.  You will love this shot after a little practice.  Brings some real touch in play you didn't even realize you had.


cc:

PW Ping IE2, 50 Ping Glide, 55 and 60 Callaway PM Grind.  Use 55 out of sand and 55 and 60 for chips depending upon amount of green (use 9 and 7 iron as well).  PW goes 136-137, 50 - 120, 55 - 106, 60 - 92.  All those are my good decent swing distances that I can count on.

GolfNut57:


--- Quote from: Boarcephus on May 23, 2017, 03:13:35 pm ---I guess I carry 5 wedges.  PW I hit 125, AW at 115, SW at 100, LW at 80-85 and a 64 I hit around 60-65. I bought the Cleveland 64 and love it just off the green when the ball settles down in the rough.  Amazing how easily the ball comes out.

--- End quote ---

Your wedge distances are almost identical to mine.

--- Quote from: clutch on May 23, 2017, 01:37:31 pm ---PW, 52, 56. I've got pretty good feel for my 56 and use it from about 105-110 all the way in.

If I were you I'd probably just try laying back some. If you know you aren't going to be able to reach the green, lay up at the distance you can take a full swing at. Don't leave yourself those 50 yard shots.

--- End quote ---

Problem with laying up is lately I rarely play by myself. I play with two separate, organized groups of Sr citizens that take turns playing at Cypress Creek every Wednesday and each group just about always play a four man scramble if enough players show up that day. Seeing as I am usually one of the short hitters of the group it isn't like I have a choice of laying up to a full wedge distance. Someone in the group always wants to hit it as close to the green as possible for the next shot. So even if I laid up short to a good distance for me my shot would not likely be used unless everyone else in the group screwed the pooch with their shots.


Boarcephus:


--- Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 23, 2017, 10:51:21 pm ---
Problem with laying up is lately I rarely play by myself. I play with two separate, organized groups of Sr citizens that take turns playing at Cypress Creek every Wednesday and each group just about always play a four man scramble if enough players show up that day. Seeing as I am usually one of the short hitters of the group it isn't like I have a choice of laying up to a full wedge distance. Someone in the group always wants to hit it as close to the green as possible for the next shot. So even if I laid up short to a good distance for me my shot would not likely be used unless everyone else in the group screwed the pooch with their shots.


--- End quote ---

Nothing like playing in a scramble to screw up your game.  They're fun but I find myself swinging out of my shoes about 2/3 of the time.  I'm generally not the first one to hit and as soon as we have one in the fairway it's "hold my beer and watch this!" time. 
 

RazorPiggie:

Obvious PW, then a 50* 54* 58* Titleist SM6 Jet Black Vokeys.

GolfNut57:


--- Quote from: Boarcephus on May 24, 2017, 07:22:04 am ---Nothing like playing in a scramble to screw up your game.  They're fun but I find myself swinging out of my shoes about 2/3 of the time.  I'm generally not the first one to hit and as soon as we have one in the fairway it's "hold my beer and watch this!" time.

--- End quote ---


hahaha......you got it. Some of these guys in their seventies can still hit the boogersnot out of the ball too. I'm talking a few in the group that can still drive the ball 270-280 off the tee box.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version