Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tiger Cancels Press Conference...

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, February 15, 2017, 11:48:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

...on doctor's advice due to back spasms.  It's one thing to pull out of a golf tournament because your back's hurting.  It's entirely another when you can't sit and answer questions.

The dude's a cripple.  I'd say odds are better than even at this point that his golfing career is over.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 15, 2017, 11:48:35 am
...on doctor's advice due to back spasms.  It's one thing to pull out of a golf tournament because your back's hurting.  It's entirely another when you can't sit and answer questions.

The dude's a cripple.  I'd say odds are better than even at this point that his golfing career is over.

Those steroids he spent the early years of his career on must really be tearing up his body physical wise.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boog41

Agree. He just needs to say it out loud now. "Come wipe me mama, I'm done"

EastexHawg

I bet if he was contending instead of hacking it around the course his back would be able to handle a press conference.  He's finished mentally, which is even worse then being done physically...which he is as well.

pigture perfect

Why would the 798th ranked player need a press conference?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 15, 2017, 03:57:34 pm

For the same reason the 798th ranked player gets $2,000,000 to go play one round in Dubai, I guess.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hawgon

Like I said, he just needs to call it more or less quits and only play in the majors every so often and a few other tournaments.  There is a better chance of him recapturing the magic for four days that way than by grinding himself down trying to make cuts.

Think of it the same way as what happens after you go several months without swinging a club.  You come out and strike the ball great for a round or two.  Then the more you play, the more old bad habits and swing flaws creep in and the worse you do.  He needs to go about a year without even picking up a club, then come back and only play a few events a year.

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 15, 2017, 03:57:34 pm

I think his foundation has something to do w/ the tournament.  I think this presser would've been more of a PR presser for the foundation and the tournament.....which is all the more surprising that he couldn't/wouldn't do the presser.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

userpick

Tiger can be 75 years old and strolling around in a wheelchair, and I'll watch that MF when he's on tv.

Wildhog

Quote from: userpick on February 16, 2017, 10:10:12 am
Tiger can be 75 years old and strolling around in a wheelchair, and I'll watch that MF when he's on tv.

This.  I've barely watched golf since his decline.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2017, 11:09:30 am

I've watched golf since I was a kid.  I remember watching Arnie hold off Nicklaus to win the 1973 Bob Hope, not knowing at the time that it would be his last PGA Tour win.  By the late 70s I was a huge Nicklaus fan.  I remember calling one of my best friends, who just happened to be from Ohio, about 100 times while watching Jack "every step of the way" at the 1980 Open at Baltusrol.

About the time Jack got to the point that he wasn't winning anymore, I hitched my fan wagon to a young college kid who won in Arizona as an amateur.  That was in something like '91 and I have been a Mickelson fan ever since.  Then, a few years ago, I watched and decided I really liked a kid from Northern Ireland.  Hopefully rooting for McIlroy will keep me going for another generation, until another player I like comes along and I become a fan of his, too.

If you have to root for a particular player to be interested in golf, have an open mind and take a look around.  Tiger is gone...and he ain't coming back.

I will say I understand wanting to see him play regardless.  I have been to several Senior Opens.  One year we followed Arnie for all 18 holes, then as soon as he finished on 18 we walked over to #1 and walked another 18 with Jack.  Another year we went to the Tradition in Arizona and walked 18 holes both Saturday and Sunday with Nicklaus.  He shot 65-65 to smoke Hale Irwin (which I also enjoyed seeing...Irwin losing, I mean) and win, making an albatross on one of the par 5s along the way.

GolfNut57

Funny thing......or maybe it is really not so funny.....is that even though Woods is not playing in the Genesis Open PGA event this weekend, they STILL list him on the event info banner that is at the top of the TV screen when you click on the channel showing the event.

Actually I guess it is downright sad that they are doing such......as if they think they can trick the viewer into watching the tourney thinking he will see Woods in it. God knows the PTB have had plenty of time to delete his name from the banner since he announced last week that he would not be playing in the event.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

February 16, 2017, 01:55:23 pm #12 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:56:11 pm by GolfNut57
Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2017, 01:37:25 pm

If you have to root for a particular player to be interested in golf......

I would describe that as being more of a fan of a person than being a fan of the sport in itself.

EastexHawg

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 16, 2017, 01:55:23 pm
I would describe that as being more of a fan of a person than being a fan of the sport in itself.

Eh, I can understand it.  We're going to the Shell Houston Open in a few weeks.  We will walk all 18 holes wearing ourselves out watching Mickelson play, but I wouldn't sit in the bleachers for two minutes to see Tim Wilkinson and Brendan de Jonge go through.

Half the people on the course must feel the same way, because the gallery walking with us will be enormous.

GolfNut57

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2017, 02:14:07 pm
Eh, I can understand it.  We're going to the Shell Houston Open in a few weeks.  We will walk all 18 holes wearing ourselves out watching Mickelson play, but I wouldn't sit in the bleachers for two minutes to see Tim Wilkinson and Brendan de Jonge go through.

Half the people on the course must feel the same way, because the gallery walking with us will be enormous.

Yes but at least you will still be showing an interest in golf and watching it. Not refusing to do so if your favorite player(s) is sitting it out.

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2017, 01:37:25 pm
I've watched golf since I was a kid.  I remember watching Arnie hold off Nicklaus to win the 1973 Bob Hope, not knowing at the time that it would be his last PGA Tour win.  By the late 70s I was a huge Nicklaus fan.  I remember calling one of my best friends, who just happened to be from Ohio, about 100 times while watching Jack "every step of the way" at the 1980 Open at Baltusrol.

About the time Jack got to the point that he wasn't winning anymore, I hitched my fan wagon to a young college kid who won in Arizona as an amateur.  That was in something like '91 and I have been a Mickelson fan ever since.  Then, a few years ago, I watched and decided I really liked a kid from Northern Ireland.  Hopefully rooting for McIlroy will keep me going for another generation, until another player I like comes along and I become a fan of his, too.

If you have to root for a particular player to be interested in golf, have an open mind and take a look around.  Tiger is gone...and he ain't coming back.

I will say I understand wanting to see him play regardless.  I have been to several Senior Opens.  One year we followed Arnie for all 18 holes, then as soon as he finished on 18 we walked over to #1 and walked another 18 with Jack.  Another year we went to the Tradition in Arizona and walked 18 holes both Saturday and Sunday with Nicklaus.  He shot 65-65 to smoke Hale Irwin (which I also enjoyed seeing...Irwin losing, I mean) and win, making an albatross on one of the par 5s along the way.

I've played golf my entire life.  I literally cannot remember a time when I didn't.

That said, I HATE watching golf.  Tiger is the only one that made it remotely interesting to me.  Now that he's apparently done, I doubt I ever get back into it, unless someone else starts to bring that level excitement to the game.
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2017, 03:48:45 pm
I've played golf my entire life.  I literally cannot remember a time when I didn't.

That said, I HATE watching golf.  Tiger is the only one that made it remotely interesting to me.  Now that he's apparently done, I doubt I ever get back into it, unless someone else starts to bring that level excitement to the game.

You didn't hardly play at all this summer, you baby-making sumbish.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Quote from: userpick on February 16, 2017, 10:10:12 am

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2017, 11:09:30 am

This.

I do watch the big tourneys though.

Jackrabbit Hog

When you're getting dissed and smack talked by Pat Perez, you should know you've sunk low.

http://golfweek.com/2017/02/23/pat-perez-on-tiger-woods-he-knows-he-cant-beat-anybody/?ref=yfp

"(Tiger) knows he can't beat anybody," Perez said on the show. "But what he does he's got this new corporation that he's started so he's got to keep his name relevant to keep the corporation going. So he's going to show up to a few events, he's going to try to play, he's going to show ... the Monster bag, he's going to show the TaylorMade driver, he's going get on TV. He's got the Nike clothes, he's got to keep that stuff relevant."

That's just an excerpt.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 23, 2017, 04:45:59 pm
When you're getting dissed and smack talked by Pat Perez, you should know you've sunk low.

http://golfweek.com/2017/02/23/pat-perez-on-tiger-woods-he-knows-he-cant-beat-anybody/?ref=yfp

“(Tiger) knows he can’t beat anybody,” Perez said on the show. “But what he does he’s got this new corporation that he’s started so he’s got to keep his name relevant to keep the corporation going. So he’s going to show up to a few events, he’s going to try to play, he’s going to show … the Monster bag, he’s going to show the TaylorMade driver, he’s going get on TV. He’s got the Nike clothes, he’s got to keep that stuff relevant.”

That's just an excerpt.

Dayum. 

It seems to me that Tiger has never had any friends on tour other than Mark O'Meara.  He's not the best liked guy out there, and maybe that's why a player would be willing to point out that the emperor has no clothes, so to speak.

I don't remember anyone ever saying anything like this about Jack or Arnie playing after their respective primes were over.  Of course Jack made a Sunday run at the Masters when he was 58 years old, but can you imagine some mediocre pro taking a shot like that at Arnie a few years after he quit winning?

pigture perfect

I quit caring about Tiger about the same time i quit caring about Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa. Which was about the time that PED use began to be confirmed. Makes me appreciate more what Big John did. His drugs decreased his ability and he still drew the crowds.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"