Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illegal drivers

Started by GolfNut57, November 22, 2016, 07:39:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

How many here would use a non-conforming driver in every day play? I am not referring to using one in any sanctioned tournament as that would be openly cheating. What I am talking about is when you are just shooting a round of golf with your buddies for the hell of it to get out of the house and/or need an excuse to go drink a few beers. For those that have or still do, what kind of driver was it? And did it actually help you gain a decent amount of yardage from your tee shot?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

I've put my driver in the corner for the time being because I can hit my 3 wood as far.  I do wish they would consider scaling back the size of the heads on the drivers.  One of my friends bought one of the new big headed TayorMade drivers and I hit it and I swear I could hear the wind whooshing around it on the way through.  I wish they would come out with a head marginally bigger than the TM 3 wood and put it on a driver shaft.  I stopped by Golf USA looking for a new driver and told the guy what I was looking for and he said I'd be surprised how many people felt the way I do.  He felt they had maxed out on head size and might start coming out with some a bit smaller.  Hope so. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 23, 2016, 07:03:06 am
I've put my driver in the corner for the time being because I can hit my 3 wood as far.  I do wish they would consider scaling back the size of the heads on the drivers.  One of my friends bought one of the new big headed TayorMade drivers and I hit it and I swear I could hear the wind whooshing around it on the way through.  I wish they would come out with a head marginally bigger than the TM 3 wood and put it on a driver shaft.  I stopped by Golf USA looking for a new driver and told the guy what I was looking for and he said I'd be surprised how many people felt the way I do.  He felt they had maxed out on head size and might start coming out with some a bit smaller.  Hope so. 

Dang, you must be old.........because I'm the same way. My two sons hit it 280-300 with drivers with watermelon heads, haha. I swing the club and hit it 200 by 100 to the right. I hit my 3 wood 240-250 with a draw. I used to have an old Taylor Made offset driver with a medium size club head that I could hit 270 with a draw, I also had a Titleist driver that I could hit about the same. I can't find anything that I can do the same with these days. I have had more drivers than JB Hunt trying to find one.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: Surfing8 on November 23, 2016, 12:07:20 pm
I've used a 983E for years...
That was a great driver. Gamed one for years.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Ex-Trumpet

Callaway ERC back in the day...I saw zero improvement in distance or direction.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Callaway's XR 3 Deep or Bertha Mini 1.5 might suit your bag.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Roctavious

You may want to look into a tour model driver. They are usually a bit smaller, though more expensive.