Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Off-set irons

Started by fullfan, June 19, 2006, 02:33:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fullfan

Does anyone have any experience with the increased offset irons.  I recently purchased a set of Adams GT Undercut irons that have more offset than I was used to.  This may eventually turn out out to be a benefit, but my initial trip to the range ended up with more pushes left (I'm lefthanded) than normal.  After several swings I ended up getting very straight ball flight by aiming what to me seemed more to the right of the target and making sure to turn through the shot.

This may be more of a perception thing when lining up the club.  Man the 3-4 irons in this set were sure easy to hit with trajectory more like a 5-6 iron.  I am about a 15 handicap but iron play is normally pretty decent.  I lose strokes off the tee and in the short game.  I was just wondering if anyone else had to make adjustments when going from regular cavity back irons to the more offset "high-launch" irons?

razorbackdan

Quote from: fullfan on June 19, 2006, 02:33:48 pm
Does anyone have any experience with the increased offset irons.  I recently purchased a set of Adams GT Undercut irons that have more offset than I was used to.  This may eventually turn out out to be a benefit, but my initial trip to the range ended up with more pushes left (I'm lefthanded) than normal.  After several swings I ended up getting very straight ball flight by aiming what to me seemed more to the right of the target and making sure to turn through the shot.

This may be more of a perception thing when lining up the club.  Man the 3-4 irons in this set were sure easy to hit with trajectory more like a 5-6 iron.  I am about a 15 handicap but iron play is normally pretty decent.  I lose strokes off the tee and in the short game.  I was just wondering if anyone else had to make adjustments when going from regular cavity back irons to the more offset "high-launch" irons?

I'm a fellow lefty and I have the Ping G2 High Launch irons (not offset)  and it has taken me some time to get used to them, but now that I have, I'm starting to see some dramatic improvement in my once stale game. When I hit a bad shot, 1 of 2 things have occurred: 1, I let my hands go open, which is disastrous or 2, I turned through the ball too early, blocking it right. These still happen, but with less regularity. I like my offset Cleveland driver so much that I had bought a new r7 a few months ago, hit it a few times, and then sold it because I liked the Cleveland better.