Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPC at Southwind

Started by Thunderhog Jr, June 16, 2006, 11:28:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

I'm going to be playingThe TPC at Southwind, FEDEX St. Jude's course, on Friday 6/23/06 with a business colleague of mine.  Anyone ever played there?  Suggestions if you have any.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Vito Porkleone

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on June 16, 2006, 11:28:18 am

I'm going to be playingThe TPC at Southwind, FEDEX St. Jude's course, on Friday 6/23/06 with a business colleague of mine.  Anyone ever played there?  Suggestions if you have any.

I played it about 3 weeks before the tournament in '98.  The rough was brutal, and actually ended up being cut lower for the tournament.

The greens were fabulous, and were running about 10 - 10.5, and I putted my butt off because I knew all the breaks from TV.  My memory of individual holes is a little sketchy, except for 13 and 18.  In general, just pay attention to where the hole locations are, and adjust your club selection accordingly.  Stay below the hole.  If you like to die your putts into the hole, you'll have a field day. 

On 13, just play for the LH side of the green, and try to make your par.  Of course after you hit your tee shots, walk back to the tips on that hole and play one toward that Sunday pin placement that is front-right.  It'll play 220 to 225, and you have to carry it about 210 to 215 to keep it dry.  If you fade it, take an extra club. 

On 18, unless you're playing the tips, you can cut the corner off the lake.  If you go right, the approach becomes very dicey, as that water looms large when you're trying to play a 180-190 yard shot out of the rough.

Finally, I don't remember any of the bunkers being very penal.  If you are decent with the 60 degree wedge, you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you are below the hole.  All in all, it's a pretty fun course, although there are others in Memphis I like better.
Phil Mickelson is the new Nuke LaLouche - million dollar swing; ten cent head...

Thunderhog Jr

Thanks for the info Vito.  I'm really looking forward to my round there.  Maybe now that The FedEx is over, the rough won't be too bad.  Note to self, "STAY BELOW THE HOLE".  Wish me luck.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

PulledPork

only for holes 5 and 6....I snuck on and practiced on them many times while residing in the apartment complexes that adjoined the 6th hole.  but I can't help you now, they went and changed up the fukkers since I have left....

Pulled out...

Patch

I played there back in the fall for the first time. It's a good course. My only advice is keep it in the fairway (duh). If you do get in the rough, play a safe shot out. When you try to be a hero, you wind up looking like Mickelson on 18.

Sidenote about Southwind. I went to the FedEx back in May with my Father in Law, and we saw quite a few houses up for sale. Later in the day we met up with one of his broker's who lives on the course, and he said there are a few reasons why so many are leaving. 1. Crime is getting to be bad in the area (quite a few robberies lately and a murder down the road) 2. The course may become Semi-private which would lessen the prestige of the course, and would also prevent the communities from being gated to non-residents. Also, talk that the tournament may move to a new location in the future.

hogfankb

I played it last year. Had a great time. Shot very well on the front only missed one green in regulation(3 putted atleast 4 holes though). Keep it in the fairway because the rough is nasty. My only advice is to just enjoy it.I personally don't get a chance to play courses that are that well kept so it was quite the honor. Almost like hitting off of a mat in the fairway.