Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do you feel about golf as an Olympic Sport?

Started by Boarcephus, July 12, 2016, 08:57:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Rory certainly gave the impression it's not that big a deal in his press conference today.  When asked if he would watch it since he's not participating he said no.  Asked what events he would watch and he replied, track and field, gymnastics...the ones that matter.  I'm sure he'll take a hit over that but he had the conviction to say it.

I don't really think it should be since the finest in the world play each other in 4 majors every year but then again, if some little chick in tights prances around with a stick twirling a long ribbon is considered an olympic event I guess golf should be as well. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Or, is it as Stacy Lewis suggested, there's a $10M purse at the end of the year on the men's tour, so why miss out on possible points by playing in the Olympics?

clutch

One thing you have to like about Rory, he's not afraid to say what's on his mind.

EastexHawg

I thought he should have left the "sports that matter" comment unsaid, but I agree with his thoughts and honesty about why he plays golf...to win championships, not to try to get other people to play.

It was always said that if you asked Nicklaus a question you were going to get a straight, matter of fact answer.  Jack took some flak for some of those answers over the years.  It looks like Rory is going to do much the same.

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 12, 2016, 10:29:22 pm
I thought he should have left the "sports that matter" comment unsaid, but I agree with his thoughts and honesty about why he plays golf...to win championships, not to try to get other people to play.

It was always said that if you asked Nicklaus a question you were going to get a straight, matter of fact answer.  Jack took some flak for some of those answers over the years.  It looks like Rory is going to do much the same.

After watching his PC and then seeing him on Feherty's show, he's a bit more intense and straight forward than people realize.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

I said it in another thread a few weeks ago; I think golf in the Olympics would have been much better received had they limited it to amateurs.  Yeah, I know it's an old outdated concept but you see what you're getting now with the gazillionaire pros being expected to go and then backing out.

I watch the Olympics still, and I enjoy the sports "that matter", as Rory so aptly put it.  But I don't watch it with the fervor and excitement I did years ago before it was all political, professional and corrupt.   
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

clutch

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 12, 2016, 10:29:22 pm

I agree with that. He shouldn't have taken a shot at the sport that has made him a very rich man.

pigture perfect

I don't think I'd get too excited about Olympic golf. Let's leave all the international competition for the Ryder Cup.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dr. Starcs

From what I understand, it's not a team event at the Olympics. Every man for himself so to speak.

Boarcephus

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 13, 2016, 04:19:25 pm
I don't think I'd get too excited about Olympic golf. Let's leave all the international competition for the Ryder Cup.

That's exactly where I stand on it.  You've got the finest golfers in the world teeing it up in the sports oldest tournament starting somewhere after midnight tonight for 4 days of pure enjoyment.  It just doesn't excite me with golf being an olympic event.  I'm like Rory, I love the track and field events, the swimming and gymnastics.  Screw the equestrian events, just a bunch of rich old people and the gold medal should be given to the horse. 

clutch

I feel the same about Olympic golf as I do tennis. You already have the best in the world competing on the biggest stage 4 times a year. It's hard to imagine the Olympics taking on a bigger role than any of the golf or tennis grand slams.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 13, 2016, 04:45:19 pm
From what I understand, it's not a team event at the Olympics. Every man for himself so to speak.

That's the way I understand it as well.  The Olympics is (or should be) a team based competition.  This sounds like something the USGA might have proposed!!  ;)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 02, 2016, 04:55:46 pm
That's the way I understand it as well.  The Olympics is (or should be) a team based competition.  This sounds like something the USGA might have proposed!!  ;)

In that case what's the difference between golf and the 100 meter dash or swimming events?  With the exception of the relays in track and field and swimming, soccer, volley ball, etc most of the events are individual events.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 04, 2016, 12:58:04 pm
In that case what's the difference between golf and the 100 meter dash or swimming events?  With the exception of the relays in track and field and swimming, soccer, volley ball, etc most of the events are individual events.

I believe there should be individual medals for stroke play...but they should have team medals, too.  It wouldn't be hard to come up with a format; just use the NCAA's.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

EastexHawg

I guess I'll watch some of it if it's on when I'm home during the evening or on the weekend, but it will be like watching the Travelers Championship for most people.  Most of the big names who really move the dial...Rory, Jason Day, Spieth, Mickelson...won't be there.  It's nowhere near as compelling as a major championship.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 05, 2016, 09:11:23 am
I guess I'll watch some of it if it's on when I'm home during the evening or on the weekend, but it will be like watching the Travelers Championship for most people.  Most of the big names who really move the dial...Rory, Jason Day, Spieth, Mickelson...won't be there.  It's nowhere near as compelling as a major championship.

If I lived in Brazil or Argentina, or maybe even South Korea, yeah I could see being excited about it.  But it almost seems like an afterthought to the American players and fans.  In fact, I think some of the players are silently irritated because inclusion of golf in the Olympics screwed up the PGA schedule like crazy, compressing the last 3 majors and leaving little time off. 

MAYBE in four years it'll be different, but this year there's just no buzz at all.  And from what I've read, the IOC has not committed to having golf again the next time around.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 05, 2016, 09:19:55 am
If I lived in Brazil or Argentina, or maybe even South Korea, yeah I could see being excited about it.  But it almost seems like an afterthought to the American players and fans.  In fact, I think some of the players are silently irritated because inclusion of golf in the Olympics screwed up the PGA schedule like crazy, compressing the last 3 majors and leaving little time off. 

MAYBE in four years it'll be different, but this year there's just no buzz at all.  And from what I've read, the IOC has not committed to having golf again the next time around.

No, but we'll have baseball and softball!

Jackrabbit Hog

Still early, but the Americans are gonna have to rally to earn a medal.  Kuchar is in the middle of his second round and is -3, which is 7 shots behind the leader and good enough for T-11.  The other three (Bubba, Reed and Fowler) are all over par.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 12, 2016, 09:57:21 am
Still early, but the Americans are gonna have to rally to earn a medal.  Kuchar is in the middle of his second round and is -3, which is 7 shots behind the leader and good enough for T-11.  The other three (Bubba, Reed and Fowler) are all over par.

Doesn't it make you glad that the cutoff for picking the U.S. team was before the last two major championships?  That way we got to put Kuchar out there, who is currently ranked 20th in the world and went T46 and missed cut in those majors...instead of Mickelson, who is ranked 13th and shot the second lowest Open Championship score in history to go with a T33 in the PGA.

U.S.A. in international team golf...snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for almost three decades now.

Dr. Starcs

Seems like Kuchar has never performed well in the biggest stage.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 12, 2016, 12:51:29 pm

Yeah, but the dude is a human ATM with all the back-door top 10s he gets.  Plus he's got that goofy grin going for him....which is nice.

And he wears Sketchers like me, so he's got that going for him as well.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 12, 2016, 12:51:29 pm

I always put him and Jimmy walker in the same category, but now can't since Jimmy pulled off a big win.  They both define just good enough golf to stay in the top tier, yet are really never contending in the big tourneys.  But one heck of a nice way to make many millions in your career! 

Jackrabbit Hog

Looks like Bubba is our only real hope for a medal.  Meanwhile Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson are warming up for the Ryder Cup..

95_alum

Jackrabbit Hog

'Bout time for the ladies to take the stage.

I'll take Stacy and Lexi in an exacta box.

Jackrabbit Hog

Stacy is having a good second day.  She's only one off the lead and is -6 with 7 holes left to play.  There are 3 leaders at -7, none of them big names.  Lexi and Gerina Pillar just starting their second rounds, both at -3.

PonderinHog

I'm liking it right about now!   :razorback:

Jackrabbit Hog

Well, Stacy's apparently not having a good day today.  She's now 6 shots behind Park, and she's also been passed by Lydia Ko, Gerina Pillar (at least an American), Brooke Henderson and a couple of others.  Dang it..

EastexHawg

No one wears the USA uniform like Gerina Piller.  Dang, girl.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 19, 2016, 05:40:05 pm
So that's the current euphemism, eh?

I once knew a girl named Pandora.

Can't say that she ever let me into her box though.

Jackrabbit Hog

A Russian named Maria Verchenova just shot 62 in the final round to move close to bronze medal contention.  This raises 2 questions:

1. They play golf in Russia?

2.  Where has this gal been?  My gosh, she's the hottest thing I've seen on the ladies tour in a long time.  Lovely lady.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 20, 2016, 10:08:26 am
A Russian named Maria Verchenova just shot 62 in the final round to move close to bronze medal contention.  This raises 2 questions:

1. They play golf in Russia?

2.  Where has this gal been?  My gosh, she's the hottest thing I've seen on the ladies tour in a long time.  Lovely lady.

She's been playing with Trump and Putin at one of Donald's private courses.

PonderinHog

That Inbee Park girl sure is pretty can putt.

Jackrabbit Hog

Looks like Stacy is gonna finish one spot and one stroke out of the medals.  Hate that for her, but that pretty much sums up her last couple of years.

The medals will go to three Asians.  Predictable.

Edit:  Big fat China girl making a mess of 18.  Still a possibility of a playoff for bronze.

Edit again:  Never mind.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 20, 2016, 11:20:24 am
Looks like Stacy is gonna finish one spot and one stroke out of the medals.  Hate that for her, but that pretty much sums up her last couple of years.

The medals will go to three Asians.  Predictable.

Edit:  Big fat China girl making a mess of 18.  Still a possibility of a playoff for bronze.

Edit again:  Never mind.

So, fat women make good golfers?

Jackrabbit Hog

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 20, 2016, 11:31:57 am
Only if they're Asian.

Big Momma says you know nothing of women's golf, much less Davies.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 12:41:09 pm
Did she eat all the little Asians?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 12:41:09 pm

I'm not convinced she's a woman.  I think she's Brian Dennehy in a wig.  Have you ever seen the two of them together?

EastexHawg

Has anyone ever seen Inbee Park's head and a 16 pound bowling ball in the same room at the same time?

Ex-Trumpet

ricepig

Martygit

I am sick and tired of the Asian women dominating women's golf - our girls need to get their heads out of their proverbial asses and start playing - Stacy had two good rounds out of four but her Friday round left her too far out of the running to be able to catch up - Gerina (sp?) Pillar is 31 years old and is the brightest star in the American field (and has a terrific chest too  8)) but seems to fold under pressure - Lexi Thompson was a non-entity in this Olympics - she may be another who is too interested in modeling than playing golf - I really like watching the LPGA but I'm really sick of watching the Americans get beaten too death every week
RIP OTR, REV

Martygit

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 20, 2016, 08:44:13 pm
I vote we watch Lexi Thompson model is an event in the 2020 Olympics.

Put Lexi's legs on Gerina's chest and you've got a winner!
RIP OTR, REV