Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official U.S.Open prediction thread

Started by ricepig, June 13, 2016, 07:17:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

You pick your favorite, favorite foreigner, and long shot. Also, no discussion on course designer's, what the locals think, or ACC football allowed

Favorite- DJ, he's got to win one some day
Favorite foreigner- Stenson, if he can make a putt
Long shot- Danny Lee

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/15270872/pga-golf-latest-2016-us-open-futures-betting-odds-westgate-las-vegas-superbook

Jackrabbit Hog

Favorite:   Jordan Spieth, because it'll have to be someone who is a great putter
Foreigner:    Jason Day
Long Shot:    Roy McAvoy
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

clutch

Favorite: Day
Favorite Foreigner (other than day): Adam Scott because he hits it straight
Long Shot: Reed

Other predictions: Bubba cries and criticizes course about being unfair, misses cut.

Pulled(PP)pork

Favorite: Speith
Favorite Foreigner: Eddie Izzard
Long Shot: Happy Gilmore

PP

Dr. Starcs

EastexHawg

Winner:  Rory McIlroy over Jason Day, Phil Mickelson, and a surprise contender none of us would pick if this thread went 20 pages.  If McIlroy gets in one of his hammering the driver straight down the fairway no matter how hard he hits it grooves, he may win easily

Top Foreigner:  Stenson.  Maybe one of these days he will simply ball strike his way to a major

Darkhorse:  The man who won it here last time, Angel Cabrera

EastexHawg

It looks like another screwed up, weather delayed event.  90% chance of rain Thursday, probably lasting into Friday morning.  Let's hope they are wrong.  I was away from home all day yesterday so I DVRed the St. Jude.  When I got home last night at 9:30 and watched it I ended up getting to see the leaders play just a few holes before coverage ended.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 13, 2016, 09:42:42 am
It looks like another screwed up, weather delayed event.  90% chance of rain Thursday, probably lasting into Friday morning.  Let's hope they are wrong.  I was away from home all day yesterday so I DVRed the St. Jude.  When I got home last night at 9:30 and watched it I ended up getting to see the leaders play just a few holes before coverage ended.

Global warming.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

I don't want to pick a winner, because I have a feeling that the course could be the actual winner this week.

With that said, here are some that could do well this week.

Retief Goosen-  Has shown before in the past that he can putt well when the greens are tough.  A question does remain whether his current 2016 tee-to-green game can hold up over all 4 Rounds.

Henrik Stenson-  The last 2 U.S Open winners at Oakmont have been big guys who were big hitters (Els and Cabrera).  A question does remain whether Stenson's putting can be consistent enough over all 4 Rounds.

Matthew Fitzpatrick-  After Bernhard Langer, Fitzpatrick may be playing the best golf of anyone other than Langer in professional golf.

J.B. Holmes-  A big hitter.  If he can do a good job of knowing when to not be so aggressive, than he should do good.

Matt Kuchar-  Doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Shane Lowry-  Seems to show up in big events.

Angel Cabrera-  Has a level of comfort at Oakmont.  That should be of help to him.

Jimmy Walker-  Has a consistent all-around game.  A big key at Oakmont is to play consistent, high level golf over all 4 Rounds.

ricepig

You're eliminated^^^^^^^ and there by forfeit your chance at winning two seats in my Founder's Suite* for 2018.

*This is assuming I hit the lottery between now and then, should that not occur, the substitute prize is 15 minutes of free legal consul from J'Rabb.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 13, 2016, 04:22:49 pm
You're eliminated^^^^^^^ and there by forfeit your chance at winning two seats in my Founder's Suite* for 2018.

*This is assuming I hit the lottery between now and then, should that not occur, the substitute prize is 15 minutes of free legal consul from J'Rabb.

Specializing in involuntary commitments for those with obsessive/compulsive disorders.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 13, 2016, 04:07:05 pm
I don't want to pick a winner, because I have a feeling that the course could be the actual winner this week.

With that said, here are some that could do well this week.

Retief Goosen-  Has shown before in the past that he can putt well when the greens are tough.  A question does remain whether his current 2016 tee-to-green game can hold up over all 4 Rounds.

Henrik Stenson-  The last 2 U.S Open winners at Oakmont have been big guys who were big hitters (Els and Cabrera).  A question does remain whether Stenson's putting can be consistent enough over all 4 Rounds.

Matthew Fitzpatrick-  After Bernhard Langer, Fitzpatrick may be playing the best golf of anyone other than Langer in professional golf.

J.B. Holmes-  A big hitter.  If he can do a good job of knowing when to not be so aggressive, than he should do good.

Matt Kuchar-  Doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Shane Lowry-  Seems to show up in big events.

Angel Cabrera-  Has a level of comfort at Oakmont.  That should be of help to him.

Jimmy Walker-  Has a consistent all-around game.  A big key at Oakmont is to play consistent, high level golf over all 4 Rounds.
you know what dillweed, it was a simple question and you even effed that up

PP

hogbud

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogbud on June 13, 2016, 08:05:43 pm
Scott, oosthuizen, Na

So you're saying no, not Scott or Oosthuizen??    ???

cc

cc

I'm going Speith as favorite
Jason Day as foreigner
Sergio as the long shot

pigture perfect

Ricky Fowler as my favorite
Jason Day as the foreigner
Tiger Woods as the long shot. I know he's not entered, but I just like saying it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jackrabbit Hog

Garrigus would be the favorite, but he passed on playing this week, opting instead to give Chuck Norris driving lessons.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 14, 2016, 09:35:35 pm
Garrigus would be the favorite, but he passed on playing this week, opting instead to give Chuck Norris driving lessons.

Oakmont wasn't challenging enough for him.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: clutch on June 14, 2016, 09:45:45 pm
Oakmont wasn't challenging enough for him.
Garrigus used to beat up Perry Maxwell on his way to school and take his lunch money.  On the way home, he'd give Perry an atomic wedgie.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 14, 2016, 09:52:47 pm
Garrigus used to beat up Perry Maxwell on his way to school and take his lunch money.  On the way home, he'd give Perry an atomic wedgie.

Well, you just eliminated yourself from winning free legal advice, the rules clearly mentioned no discussion on course designer's.

East TN HAWG

PonderinHog

Phil
Stricker (yankee - same as a foreigner)
Berger

cosmodrum

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 13, 2016, 08:40:38 pm
So you're saying no, not Scott or Oosthuizen??    ???

Na = sodium. I think he was saying their game is salty.
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Well, been watching the practice round on FS1, looks like a pretty easy course. Hopefully we'll see more of Holly in their broadcasts, and less of Joe.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 03:19:52 pm
Well, been watching the practice round on FS1, looks like a pretty easy course. Hopefully we'll see more of Holly in their broadcasts, and less of Joe.

I can't stand listening to Joe Buck.  It's bad enough that as a Cowboys fan I have to hear him at most Dallas games on Fox.  Now he is ruining golf, too.

cosmodrum

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 15, 2016, 03:40:33 pm
I can't stand listening to Joe Buck.  It's bad enough that as a Cowboys fan I have to hear him at most Dallas games.  Now he is ruining golf, too.

He is awful. And, I just realized I have to listen to him again for the US Open. Gross.

Go away, batin'

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Hog at the top, so far, Andrew Landry.

ricepig

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

EastexHawg

Typical.  I have this afternoon and tomorrow off and I'll be able to watch golf...so we're going to have one storm delay after another.

And, according to the National Weather Service...they don't expect the heavy stuff to come down for quite some time, as in later this afternoon and evening.

EastexHawg

Looking at the radar, it appears the storms move quickly to the east so they will be able to get right back on the course...then another one pops up out of nowhere right on top of the Pittsburgh area.  Frustrating.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 16, 2016, 11:45:49 am
Looking at the radar, it appears the storms move quickly to the east so they will be able to get right back on the course...then another one pops up out of nowhere right on top of the Pittsburgh area.  Frustrating.

It will be on all weekend.

oldman1015

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 12:03:23 pm
it's the usga making the course easier for the non members.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

ricepig

Quote from: oldman1015 on June 16, 2016, 01:13:36 pm
it's the usga making the course easier for the non members.

Yes, it's hard to watch, it's so easy.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 12:03:23 pm

Yep, and I have to leave home tomorrow at 5:00 for a night fishing tournament and then have to attend a mid-day wedding Saturday.  I'm going to tell everyone at the reception that I am DVRing the golf and that I don't want to hear anything about either Saturday or the conclusion of play Friday evening. 

Yeah, that always works out for me.

PonderinHog

cosmodrum

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 01:21:06 pm
Yes, it's hard to watch, it's so easy.

yep, Jason Day is just having his way with the course!
Go away, batin'

clutch

DJ had a very typical DJ opening round. The weather set back might work in his advantage. Might not get to play his final round on a Sunday. He's so dumb that they could probably trick him into thinking a Monday round was the first round of another tournament so he wouldn't choke it away.

MikePiazza

Can't wait for "Oakmont demands toughness tee to green" GoHogs1091 to come in this thread and share why it's so easy this year.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Boarcephus

Quote from: MikePiazza on June 17, 2016, 04:53:11 pm
Can't wait for "Oakmont demands toughness tee to green" GoHogs1091 to come in this thread and share why it's so easy this year.

Now, now, let's don't be mean.  ;)  It's been fun to watch and not nearly as hard as they made it to be.  Greens are slick but these guys are good.  They're having some tap in putts for birdie.  Just need for Rory to find his game. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 16, 2016, 11:16:42 am
Typical.  I have this afternoon and tomorrow off and I'll be able to watch golf...so we're going to have one storm delay after another.

And, according to the National Weather Service...they don't expect the heavy stuff to come down for quite some time, as in later this afternoon and evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbUx6wZ7z4
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Scott Piercy putts worse than I do. Dude has missed two handfuls of 10ft and less putts.

Pulled(PP)pork

that's 11......ELEVEN golfers under par, at the toughest course in the world

SUCK IT GOHOGS!!!

PP

Boarcephus

This has been fun this morning.  Jordan just hit a 210 yard 8 iron out of the rough and Rory just drove the green on the 318 yard par 4 with a 3 wood. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Some French dude is say, "this is all you got"?

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2016, 10:20:42 am
Some French dude is say, "this is all you got"?
I'm waiting for his Van de Velde moment...

Boarcephus

ricepig

Man, I hate it that Stenson had to withdraw, since he was my foreigner pick.......I'm sure that 10 over round he had going had nothing to do with the injuries that forced him to WD and not show up for his tee tim to finish his second round this morning.