Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Daly

Started by ricepig, June 10, 2016, 02:05:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Besides playing terrible, he looks like he swallowed another human being. I knew he had put back some of the weight after his lap band surgery, but dang, he's ballooned again.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on June 10, 2016, 02:05:32 pm
Besides playing terrible, he looks like he swallowed another human being. I knew he had put back some of the weight after his lap band surgery, but dang, he's ballooned again.

I saw him last week and was shocked at his size. He's got to be in the 250-275 range.  Has some little chick on his bag that doesn't look big enough to carry it.  Goes back to what Tiger said about him, probably has the most natural talent of any player on tour but his mental approach (work ethic) is killing him. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 10, 2016, 03:08:40 pm
I saw him last week and was shocked at his size. He's got to be in the 250-275 range.  Has some little chick on his bag that doesn't look big enough to carry it.  Goes back to what Tiger said about him, probably has the most natural talent of any player on tour but his mental approach (work ethic) is killing him. 

That's his current gf, she's been with him awhile. Oh, I weigh 230, he's the 275 level.

Jackrabbit Hog

I've watched a few interviews with him since he's been getting ready for the Champions Tour.  I think he's totally given up on winning and it's not important to him at all; he's just elated to have a place to play where he knows going in that he won't get cut and he's getting a check at the end of the weekend.  I suspect his efforts to stay fit follow right along that line of thinking.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

Daly is just not playing well enough to have a chance on the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club, but he is playing on a possible Top 50 in the United States course.

The Wissahickon Course at PCC is a 1922 A.W. Tillinghast design that was restored by Keith Foster.  Foster is the best restorer in the United States, and he does great work.  Foster did the following restoration work on Tillinghast's Wissahickon Course.

Kill and seed fairways with bent
Rebuild and sod greens with A1/A4 bent (had never been rebuilt since opening in 1922)
Install drainage and rebuild bunkers (these were are also original construction)
Restore bunkers that have been lost over time, and he reintroduced Tillinghast's "Great Hazzard" concept
Reconstruct and sod tee boxes
New irrigation system (the current system was ca. 1960)

The Wissahickon Course at PCC may now be Tillinghast's 2nd best course after his courses at Winged Foot (even better than Tillinghast's Bethpage Black).

Foster's restoration of Tillinghast's Wissahickon Course was named by Golf Magazine as the best private restoration of 2014.

Daly is probably playing this week on one of the 10 best courses he has played during his career, and his game is just not at the level that is required on Tillinghast's restored gem.

ricepig

Daly doesn't have the body for cricket these days, understandable he's struggling at the site.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on June 10, 2016, 05:45:39 pm
Daly doesn't have the body for cricket these days, understandable he's struggling at the site.

The wind has been a big factor there the first 2 Rounds of The Constellation Seniors Players Championship.  As a part of the restoration process, 2,000 trees were removed, and therefore wind can be a real factor.

Some of the Hole sequencing of the course was changed for the event.  The stout back tee 480 Yard Par 4 normally 18th Hole is the 469 Yard Par 4 11th Hole for the Tournament.  Here is a good article about the Hole #18 resequenced to Hole #11.

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=17400

With the Hole resequencing, the closing 3 Holes for the Tournament are stout.  Here is the Scorecard for the Tournament.

Hole 1     Par 4   365 Yards
Hole 2     Par 4   373 Yards
Hole 3     Par 3   172 Yards
Hole 4     Par 4   427 Yards  (Hole also plays uphill)
Hole 5     Par 5   546 Yards
Hole 6     Par 4   447 Yards  (Hole also plays uphill)
Hole 7     Par 4   435 Yards  (The green is very complicated)
Hole 8     Par 3   217 Yards
Hole 9     Par 4   426 Yards   (Hole also plays uphill)
Hole 10   Par 4   449 Yards   (the green is double tiered)
Hole 11   Par 4   469 Yards 
Hole 12   Par 4   424 Yards   (Hole also plays uphill and into the prevailing wind the whole way)
Hole 13   Par 4   423 Yards   (A creek travels through the landing area at the very bottom of the fairway.  The Hole plays downhill off the tee)
Hole 14   Par 3   122 Yards   (A devious Hole that can be a Double Bogey Hole)
Hole 15   Par 5   553 Yards   (Has the "Great Hazzard," a vast expanse of bunkers that cross the fairway)
Hole 16   Par 3   160 Yards   (Hole has it all - waters, bunkers, a long carry, a tricky green and devious pin placements)
Hole 17   Par 4   475 Yards   (Hole also plays uphill, and the green is two tiered)
Hole 18   Par 4   480 Yards   (Hole also plays into the wind, and Tillinghast's version of the "church pew" bunkers makes the approach visually intimidating)

Par 70   7,018 Yards

The course has less sub 400 Yard Par 4 Holes than does Oakmont (2 Holes vs. 5 Holes at Oakmont).

Here is a good 12 Page Photo album.  The person who made the Photo Album reconfigured the photo album to match the routing for The Constellation Senior Players Championship.

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/CSPatPCC/index.html 

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 10, 2016, 07:03:28 pm
The wind has been a big factor there the first 2 Rounds of The Constellation Seniors Players Championship.  As a part of the restoration process, 2,000 trees were removed, and therefore wind can be a real factor.

Some of the Hole sequencing of the course was changed for the event.  The stout back tee 480 Yard Par 4 normally 18th Hole is the 469 Yard Par 4 11th Hole for the Tournament.  Here is a good article about the Hole #18 resequenced to Hole #11.

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=17400

With the Hole resequencing, the closing 3 Holes for the Tournament are stout.  Here is the Scorecard for the Tournament.

Hole 1     Par 4   365 Yards
Hole 2     Par 4   373 Yards
Hole 3     Par 3   172 Yards
Hole 4     Par 4   427 Yards  (Hole also plays uphill)
Hole 5     Par 5   546 Yards
Hole 6     Par 4   447 Yards  (Hole also plays uphill)
Hole 7     Par 4   435 Yards  (The green is very complicated)
Hole 8     Par 3   217 Yards
Hole 9     Par 4   426 Yards   (Hole also plays uphill)
Hole 10   Par 4   449 Yards   (the green is double tiered)
Hole 11   Par 4   469 Yards 
Hole 12   Par 4   424 Yards   (Hole also plays uphill and into the prevailing wind the whole way)
Hole 13   Par 4   423 Yards   (A creek travels through the landing area at the very bottom of the fairway.  The Hole plays downhill off the tee)
Hole 14   Par 3   122 Yards   (A devious Hole that can be a Double Bogey Hole)
Hole 15   Par 5   553 Yards   (Has the "Great Hazzard," a vast expanse of bunkers that cross the fairway)
Hole 16   Par 3   160 Yards   (Hole has it all - waters, bunkers, a long carry, a tricky green and devious pin placements)
Hole 17   Par 4   475 Yards   (Hole also plays uphill, and the green is two tiered)
Hole 18   Par 4   480 Yards   (Hole also plays into the wind, and Tillinghast's version of the "church pew" bunkers makes the approach visually intimidating)

Par 70   7,018 Yards

The course has less sub 400 Yard Par 4 Holes than does Oakmont (2 Holes vs. 5 Holes at Oakmont).

Here is a good 12 Page Photo album.  The person who made the Photo Album reconfigured the photo album to match the routing for The Constellation Senior Players Championship.

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/CSPatPCC/index.html 

Yeah, I know how to google.

GoHogs1091

Daly shouldn't feel bad about his +12.  There were 21 players who shot +10 or more over the first 2 Rounds.

There are only 3 players currently under Par, with the leader at -2.  Bernhard Langer is currently tied for 2nd at -1.

The greens have been a real challenge for the players.  They have been real tough for them.

It is a good enough of a course to host the U.S. Open.  I presume though that the USGA would want the 11th Hole to play at the full 480 Yards (which would make for two 480 Yard Par 4 Holes on the Back 9).  On the overhead map in the 12 page picture album, it looks like the 553 Yard Par 5 15th Hole can be extended 20 Yards, so the USGA might would want that to happen.  The USGA might would also want the 160 Yard Par 3 16th Hole extended 40 Yards to 200 Yards.  That would make for at least a 200 Yard Par 3 Hole on both the Front 9 and the Back 9.

The 475 Yard Par 4 17th Hole currently already could be played at a length of 500 Yards if The Constellation Seniors Players Championship Tournament organizers wanted it to play at that length.  Assuming the USGA wanted to keep the 17th Hole at the current 475 Yard mark, and assuming the USGA made the above changes, 71 more yards would be added to the current 7,018 Yards, and that would make it 7,089 Yards, Par 70. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Jesus, who let the nerd in?!

PP

campushog23

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 10, 2016, 08:57:01 pm

PP

I was actually enjoying reading this thread, but that lasted all of about 5 posts before it became just like every other one

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: campushog23 on June 10, 2016, 09:04:41 pm
I was actually enjoying reading this thread, but that lasted all of about 5 posts before it became just like every other one
agreed, it get tiring....

PP

GoHogs1091

The Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club should be one of the top stories in golf to this point in 2016.  The Golf Channel's Tim Rosaforte said that Tom Pernice told him he is puting it in his Top 10 list of courses (Pernice has played a lot of courses since he turned Pro in 1983).  Here are some quotes from some of the other players.

Bernhard Langer

"No, of course they could hold any event here. You could make this golf course so hard, it's unbelievable. They have still a few hundred yards, some back tees, they can tighten these fairways and let the rough grow and you won't even find the golf ball. Yeah, this is a real test and it's a fantastic design and a great layout."

Brandt Jobe

"I feel like I'm back on the PGA Tour playing a major or something, because it's just you can't let up for one shot," Jobe said. "One shot and all of a sudden you're like, 'Wow, this is a mess.' It's just a hard golf course, that's all it is. It's very fair. If you hit good shots, you've got opportunities to make putts, but the greens are fast, it's windy. It's got all the elements. It's perfect."

John Daly

"I hit a lot of good shots, it played tough. It played very tough. You had to play the wind on the tee shot. You had to play the wind on the second shot. The wind is affecting everything. The scores are reflecting that. Even-par is pretty good, 2-under is really good. It just goes to show that the golf course is as good as it is. I'm just thankful it rained [Wednesday]. If it hadn't rained, oh my God, that could get out of control."

Tom Watson

"It's a Tillinghast golf course. I've played a lot of Tillinghast golf courses and they are difficult," Watson said. "You really have to hit a lot of quality shots. The greens are very quick and, with this northwest wind, it played very tough today. This golf course is all you want. That's the absolute best I could do. It's a championship golf course. You could hold any type of championship tournament on this course you'd want, I think."

Rocco Mediate

"I don't remember all the names, it's been so long," Mediate said Wednesday of playing Philadelphia-area courses. "I've played a bunch of golf courses in this area. I played Merion only once, back in probably the mid-2000s. I played Aronimink. I liked Merion a lot. Aronimink I loved. I don't know why I liked it more, but it's bigger. This is my favorite of all of them so far" in the area, he said. "It is. I couldn't wait to see it. I went through the video stuff that they did with the redo, and wanted to see what they did. They restored so many things that were gone, covered by trees, bushes and stuff. They opened it all up - genius."

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=17467&pid=20

waphill

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 10, 2016, 08:57:01 pm

PP

What happened to this place? I took a few years off from golf, and haven't been here in years. Started playing again, so I've been reading threads. Every one of them is an almanac of obscure golf course data.????

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: waphill on June 13, 2016, 08:08:13 pm
What happened to this place? I took a few years off from golf, and haven't been here in years. Started playing again, so I've been reading threads. Every one of them is an almanac of obscure golf course data.????
rain man happened

PP

waphill

It's probably just KOD trolling you guys.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: waphill on June 13, 2016, 08:08:13 pm

This past Thursday thru Sunday was awesome watching on T.V.  For anyone who watched The Constellation Seniors Players Championship on T.V., the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club might have been the best golf course that has hosted a professional 72 hole tournament in the United States since Merion (East Course) in 2013.

Based on what I saw on T.V., and based on how it played, The Wissahickon Course at PCC was phenomenal.  It might be even better than Merion (East Course).  Merion (East Course) is generally regarded as being better overall than Oakmont, but The Wissahickon Course was just spectacular and it might be the best in Pennsylvania.

clutch

Quote from: waphill on June 13, 2016, 08:32:39 pm
It's probably just KOD trolling you guys.

If so, it's the most effort ever put forward in troll job history. I used to think it was. Now I'm not so sure.

yraciv

Quote from: clutch on June 13, 2016, 10:18:56 pm
If so, it's the most effort ever put forward in troll job history. I used to think it was. Now I'm not so sure.

It may not be KOD, but it is certainly an epic troll job.  This has gone on for 10+ years.  The only couple I remember being as epic was the guy that would close every single post with "Go Hogs Go" or "flippinAhog" who may been on here catfishing. Good times!

oldman1015

Daly should hang out with Langer.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

EastexHawg

Back to the topic...I like John Daly and have always rooted for him, but the truth is that his career has been characterized by a disposition that has fallen somewhere between "lack of dedication" and "quitter" on the get the most out of your abilities scale.

Apparently John has enjoyed his life the way he has lived it, so I can't really say the way he has conducted himself is a shame.  He has two majors to his credit, which is more than Fred Couples or Tom Kite or, to this point, Jason Day.  It's just hard not to think that if he had the want to of a Ben Hogan...or even a Zach Johnson...he would probably have half a dozen or more.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 14, 2016, 09:36:38 am
Back to the topic...I like John Daly and have always rooted for him, but the truth is that his career has been characterized by a disposition that has fallen somewhere between "lack of dedication" and "quitter" on the get the most out of your abilities scale.

Apparently John has enjoyed his life the way he has lived it, so I can't really say the way he has conducted himself is a shame.  He has two majors to his credit, which is more than Fred Couples or Tom Kite or, to this point, Jason Day.  It's just hard not to think that if he had the want to of a Ben Hogan...or even a Zach Johnson...he would probably have half a dozen or more.
and not just any majors.....2 of the toughest

PP

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 14, 2016, 10:01:50 am
and not just any majors.....2 of the toughest

PP

The PGA is probably the easiest.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on June 14, 2016, 11:32:31 am
The PGA is probably the easiest.
agreed

1. British
1a. US Open
3. Masters
4. PGA

unless the open is at Southern Hills or Oakmont, then flip the top two. 😜

PP

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 13, 2016, 09:10:14 pm
This past Thursday thru Sunday was awesome watching on T.V.  For anyone who watched The Constellation Seniors Players Championship on T.V., the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club might have been the best golf course that has hosted a professional 72 hole tournament in the United States since Merion (East Course) in 2013.

Based on what I saw on T.V., and based on how it played, The Wissahickon Course at PCC was phenomenal.  It might be even better than Merion (East Course).  Merion (East Course) is generally regarded as being better overall than Oakmont, but The Wissahickon Course was just spectacular and it might be the best in Pennsylvania.

Nah, Augusta is the best

Now, go blindfold yourself and play hopscotch on I-40

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 15, 2016, 10:55:12 am
Nah, Augusta is the best

Now, go blindfold yourself and play hopscotch on I-40

Augusta National has a very good Front 9.

On the Back 9 at Augusta National, Hole 12 and Hole 16 are too quirky.

If the Augusta National Golf Club adds any more yardage to Hole 13, then that will have a detrimental impact on Hole 13.

There is no weakness on the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club, and no weakness on Merion (East Course).  Every hole at those two courses are extremely high-level.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 15, 2016, 03:11:45 pm
Augusta National has a very good Front 9.

On the Back 9 at Augusta National, Hole 12 and Hole 16 are too quirky.

If the Augusta National Golf Club adds any more yardage to Hole 13, then that will have a detrimental impact on Hole 13.

There is no weakness on the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club, and no weakness on Merion (East Course).  Every hole at those two courses are extremely high-level.
Myself, as well as 99.9% of golfers not on tour would rather play Augusta once, than any of your fantasy land courses put together.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 15, 2016, 03:43:38 pm
Myself, as well as 99.9% of golfers not on tour would rather play Augusta once, than any of your fantasy land courses put together.

A quote from Jack Nicklaus about Merion (East Course).

"Acre for acre, it may be the best test of golf in the world."

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 15, 2016, 03:51:24 pm

You're obsessed with the "best test" crap. We get it. Unless you regularly break 70 from the tips, your argument is invalid.

We want to play the best and most prestigious courses, not your fanboy courses. Your schtick is worn out.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 15, 2016, 04:06:16 pm
You're obsessed with the "best test" crap. We get it. Unless you regularly break 70 from the tips, your argument is invalid.

We want to play the best and most prestigious courses, not your fanboy courses. Your schtick is worn out.

There have been regular "John Q. Public" people who have played Augusta National who have said afterwards that the course was not as good as they thought before they played it.

Also, people tend to get too wrapped up into the conditioning aspect of Augusta National.  Noted course architect, Tom Doak, has posted over on the golf course architecture site (GolfClubAtlas) that there has been times he has been there, and the conditioning of the course was not what a person would think it would be.

They simply can't maintain it all the time like they do during the 2 week time frame revolving around The Masters (the week before and the week of the Tournament).  For one thing, they have a lot of course maintenance people who travel in and help them for the tournament.  Doak has even posted that the fairways are not mowed the same during the rest of the time the course is open to Members compared to how the fairways are mowed during the time frame revolving around the tournament.

PonderinHog

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 15, 2016, 04:47:12 pm
There have been regular "John Q. Public" people who have played Augusta National who have said afterwards that the course was not as good as they thought before they played it.

Also, people tend to get too wrapped up into the conditioning aspect of Augusta National.  Noted course architect, Tom Doak, has posted over on the golf course architecture site (GolfClubAtlas) that there has been times he has been there, and the conditioning of the course was not what a person would think it would be.

They simply can't maintain it all the time like they do during the 2 week time frame revolving around The Masters (the week before and the week of the Tournament).  For one thing, they have a lot of course maintenance people who travel in and help them for the tournament.  Doak has even posted that the fairways are not mowed the same during the rest of the time the course is open to Members compared to how the fairways are mowed during the time frame revolving around the tournament.
Correct the mow them clockwise for the tournament,  counter clockwise the rest of the year......

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 15, 2016, 03:51:24 pm

A quote from me

"We don't give a damn."

PonderinHog

Quote from: clutch on June 15, 2016, 07:31:15 pm
A quote from me

"We don't give a damn."
May I quote you on that ???

clutch