Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Eagle(s)!

Started by Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson, April 11, 2016, 10:53:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Pretty average player at a pretty young age (21, about to graduate from UofA). Played my first round this season while visiting home in LR. Played Hickory Creek in jacksonville, small but charming course out in the boonies. Favorite course to play (22 bucks on weekends including cart, can't beat that for being on a college budget!)

Anyways, had a par 5 dogleg left, hit it in the 2nd cut along the left side (bad miss considering hole placement). Could have laid up and put it at the bend, but chose to try to cut through the trees (normally a very dumb decision but I usually opt for it anyways, let's call it youth naiveness). Was a window about 2 feet all the way through. Took out my 4 hybrid and somehow cut it all the way through, 5 feet to the pin. Couldn't believe it. Usually my hybrid has a pretty severe fade (some call it a slice, I call it a hard fade). Dumb luck but luck nonetheless. Sank the 5 foot putt. Would have quit the round if I had missed that one.

Then, about 5 holes later, I hole out on a par 4 from about 80 yards for my second eagle. Just played out of my mind, finished with  +1 68 (like the fact that shooting +7 still would put you at a 74  ;) ). Normally shoot in the high 70's/low 80's. First two eagles mere holes apart, while it took ten years to get my first. Awesome start to the season!
ched come back pls

CabotHog87

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on April 11, 2016, 10:53:53 am
Pretty average player at a pretty young age (21, about to graduate from UofA). Played my first round this season while visiting home in LR. Played Hickory Creek in jacksonville, small but charming course out in the boonies. Favorite course to play (22 bucks on weekends including cart, can't beat that for being on a college budget!)

Anyways, had a par 5 dogleg left, hit it in the 2nd cut along the left side (bad miss considering hole placement). Could have laid up and put it at the bend, but chose to try to cut through the trees (normally a very dumb decision but I usually opt for it anyways, let's call it youth naiveness). Was a window about 2 feet all the way through. Took out my 4 hybrid and somehow cut it all the way through, 5 feet to the pin. Couldn't believe it. Usually my hybrid has a pretty severe fade (some call it a slice, I call it a hard fade). Dumb luck but luck nonetheless. Sank the 5 foot putt. Would have quit the round if I had missed that one.

Then, about 5 holes later, I hole out on a par 4 from about 80 yards for my second eagle. Just played out of my mind, finished with  +1 68 (like the fact that shooting +7 still would put you at a 74  ;) ). Normally shoot in the high 70's/low 80's. First two eagles mere holes apart, while it took ten years to get my first. Awesome start to the season!

Congratulations on your eagles! That's awesome. The first one I'm assuming came on number 7. I like that hole. second one was maybe on 11 or 13? 11 is the one that turns almost 90 degrees left after your tee shot. 13 has a slight turn to the right off the tee but if you take driver you can get pretty close to the green. There are a lot of good eagle holes out there! #1, 3, 7, 9, and 16, if you get there in two, come to mind. Congrats again!

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: CabotHog87 on April 11, 2016, 11:25:18 am
Congratulations on your eagles! That's awesome. The first one I'm assuming came on number 7. I like that hole. second one was maybe on 11 or 13? 11 is the one that turns almost 90 degrees left after your tee shot. 13 has a slight turn to the right off the tee but if you take driver you can get pretty close to the green. There are a lot of good eagle holes out there! #1, 3, 7, 9, and 16, if you get there in two, come to mind. Congrats again!
Yep, first was 7. Always tend to play that hole well. The second was I believe was 15 (?), maybe one or two off. It's the hole the par 4 that doglegs left with the tree right in the middle of the bend.
Love hole 3. Have reached the green once or twice off the tee but never close enough to land the eagle. Same with 1. Got close actually this past round getting on the green with 3 wood, about 10 yards short of green.

Thank you sir!
ched come back pls

CabotHog87

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on April 11, 2016, 11:31:47 am
Yep, first was 7. Always tend to play that hole well. The second was I believe was 15 (?), maybe one or two off. It's the hole the par 4 that doglegs left with the tree right in the middle of the bend.
Love hole 3. Have reached the green once or twice off the tee but never close enough to land the eagle. Same with 1. Got close actually this past round getting on the green with 3 wood, about 10 yards short of green.

Thank you sir!

Oh yeah, 15. That's a fun little hole. A friend of mine draws his shot around the trees and usually ends up about 20 yards from the green, crazy. I usually just hit wedge past the tree and then play another wedge into the green, like you did. I love playing that little course. It's a great place to work on your iron/wedge game. And Margaret and Homer are always very welcoming and friendly.

root_hawg

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on April 11, 2016, 10:53:53 am

FIGJAM!!

pp

Noonan

Congrats on your great round! 

I haven't played Hickory Creek in many years since it's a good 45 minute drive from WLR, and the last time I was there it was in less than great shape.  Would you recommend it for a quick Friday afternoon round?

RazorPiggie

I remember when I made my first eagle.

Actually no I can't haha.

My biggest achievement in the eagle department is having 5 eagles in 4 rounds at Nationals my first year. Led the field in eagles.

Jackrabbit Hog

I've never had an eagle.  Only twice have I ever had good chances for one.  Once was at a par 5 at Pine Valley (no, not that one; the cow pasture in northern Pulaski County) where I cheated and cut the corner of a dogleg.  Had about a 20 footer, got too aggressive and ended up 3 putting for par.  The other time was at Cypress Creek (Greystone); hit two great shots on a par 5 and had a 10 footer.  Left it short and settled for birdie.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 20, 2016, 10:06:47 am
I've never had an eagle.  Only twice have I ever had good chances for one.  Once was at a par 5 at Pine Valley (no, not that one; the cow pasture in northern Pulaski County) where I cheated and cut the corner of a dogleg.  Had about a 20 footer, got too aggressive and ended up 3 putting for par.  The other time was at Cypress Creek (Greystone); hit two great shots on a par 5 and had a 10 footer.  Left it short and settled for birdie.

Must have been hole 18. Two good shots with the second one over the water gives you a shot at eagle.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

The first two eagles I ever had were at Rebsamen back in the late 80's before they did the course renovation. Hole 14 was an eagle 2 and 17 was an eagle three. Not in the same round of course. Made a few other eagles since then, mostly at Greystone. But did make one at Cypress Creek's 18th and one at the former Foxwood on the 16th (slam dunked a gap wedge from 103 yards out)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 20, 2016, 05:56:53 pm
Must have been hole 18. Two good shots with the second one over the water gives you a shot at eagle.

Actually, it wasn't.  It's been about 13 years since I played there so I don't remember the exact hole, but it was the other par 5 on the back 9 (maybe 12, 13 or 14?  Somewhere in that range).  Straight hole, no doglegs.  Hillside and cart path to the right; a few trees, some sand and then a pond to the left.  I purposely hit my driver a little right so it hit on the hillside, which helped it get a helluva roll.  Caught a 5 wood perfectly with the second shot and it rolled to a stop 10 feet short of a front pin placement.  Left the putt on the doorstep. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

First eagle came back in the early 70's at WRCC. #5 was a dogleg left about 525 yards. I drove even with the green and had a 15 yard pitch on to the green and made the putt. Now, before you call B.S., the hole dogleged around the end of the airport and one of the side runways ran parallel the the fairway. I cut the corner a little to much, ran the ball all the way down to runway and the slope of the runway kicked the ball out green side high. This wasn't the only time I did this, I also left it on the runway numerous times, lol.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 20, 2016, 06:12:14 pm
Actually, it wasn't.  It's been about 13 years since I played there so I don't remember the exact hole, but it was the other par 5 on the back 9 (maybe 12, 13 or 14?  Somewhere in that range).  Straight hole, no doglegs.  Hillside and cart path to the right; a few trees, some sand and then a pond to the left.  I purposely hit my driver a little right so it hit on the hillside, which helped it get a helluva roll.  Caught a 5 wood perfectly with the second shot and it rolled to a stop 10 feet short of a front pin placement.  Left the putt on the doorstep.

That would be hole #11. I thought there was a chance you might mean that one because it is the only other par 5 that is anywhere near reachable in two on the course. (it does take two pretty nice shots to do it) But seeing as 18 is the easiest of the four par 5's to reach in two I took my guess on it. Both of the two par 5's on the front, #3 and #7 would take 300 yard tee shots to have even a remote chance of getting on in two. Those are two monster holes.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2016, 06:34:57 pm
First eagle came back in the early 70's at WRCC. #5 was a dogleg left about 525 yards. I drove even with the green and had a 15 yard pitch on to the green and made the putt. Now, before you call B.S., the hole dogleged around the end of the airport and one of the side runways ran parallel the the fairway. I cut the corner a little to much, ran the ball all the way down to runway and the slope of the runway kicked the ball out green side high. This wasn't the only time I did this, I also left it on the runway numerous times, lol.

Using a runway is cheating.  :)

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 20, 2016, 10:15:37 pm
Using a runway is cheating.  :)

It's just a little wider cart path...........

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2016, 06:34:57 pm
Wasn't that a dogleg right?

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 21, 2016, 08:14:34 am
Wasn't that a dogleg right?

Left, the tee box was behind #4 green and the fairway ran parallel to Runway 18-36. This was before they swapped #1 and #9. I also beat Leroy Childers front 9 record at the age of 15, but I was playing by myself, and thus no witnesses, haha.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2016, 11:25:10 am
Left, the tee box was behind #4 green and the fairway ran parallel to Runway 18-36. This was before they swapped #1 and #9. I also beat Leroy Childers front 9 record at the age of 15, but I was playing by myself, and thus no witnesses, haha.
I hear the rough out there is tougher than the U. S. Open, now.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 22, 2016, 08:33:22 am
I hear the rough out there is tougher than the U. S. Open, now.

I mowed the greens out there in the summer of 75', Perry Maxwell had nothing on me getting them hard and fast.