Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bryson DeChambeau....

Started by Iwastherein1969, April 09, 2016, 11:03:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

a few quick takes on his game. DeChambeau seems to be able to perform under pressure with that deep, upright swing, but only up to a certain point. I realize this is his first big test under the stresses of an Augusta National bearing her teeth so I will be fair. First, the good things, the kid has quite a bit of savvy around the greens and lag putts fairly well. If you can lag putt well at Augusta National you can lag putt well on any golf course in the world. The kid also seemed right at home playing with who I think is the world's #1 player. DeChambeau's mental game is unquestionably solid in his very early 20's. Dam good sign. There is one thing, and it's major, that has to go and it's that book he's read and taken literally. Golf is a game of feel. Always has been. The steep arc of his swing is not a swing of a lifetime. The older he gets, the more aches and pains he accrues the less functional that swing will become. By the time he reaches his late 20's, he'll be very average with a swing like that. Bryson can do well with that swing now because he's athletic, not arthritic. All pro golfers have inflammation from arthritis by the time they reach 30. Its the price they pay for beating so many balls on the practice range. The kid has a brilliant future if he can manage to get with a great teacher and tweak that steep arc into a more conventional swing.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

RazorPiggie

Pretty sure he is doing that swing so he doesn't have aches and pains in the future since everything is on one plane. Dude is smart. He knows what he is doing and has done extensive research on it.

GoHogs1091

Phil Mickelson played a practice round with DeChambeau the week of the Masters, and during Mickelson's press conference in the Media Center after that practice round Mickelson had this look on his face like he had just seen a very near future superstar.

Spieth, McIlroy, and Day are not going to be running rough shod in upcoming Major Championships over the next few years.  DeChambeau is just a different level of a golfer who just came out of the amateur ranks, and he could be the main impacting force in American golf over the next several years.   

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 21, 2016, 12:34:12 am
Phil Mickelson played a practice round with DeChambeau the week of the Masters, and during Mickelson's press conference in the Media Center after that practice round Mickelson had this look on his face like he had just seen a very near future superstar.

Spieth, McIlroy, and Day are not going to be running rough shod in upcoming Major Championships over the next few years.  DeChambeau is just a different level of a golfer who just came out of the amateur ranks, and he could be the main impacting force in American golf over the next several years.   

Do you have a clip of this look?

Jackrabbit Hog

The professional golf world is littered with can't miss prospects who were supposed to take the tour by storm and fizzled over the years.  Remember David Gossett?  Casey Whittenberg?  Ricky Barnes?  Trip Kuehne?  Probably not, except maybe Barnes, who is still looking for his first win after over 200 starts. 

I don't think the same fate awaits DeChambeau.  I think he will find early success.  Just don't anoint him before he really gets his feet wet.  There's aways the chance he'll be on the web.com tour five years from now, struggling for his tour card.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 28, 2016, 08:49:04 am
The professional golf world is littered with can't miss prospects who were supposed to take the tour by storm and fizzled over the years.  Remember David Gossett?  Casey Whittenberg?  Ricky Barnes?  Trip Kuehne?  Probably not, except maybe Barnes, who is still looking for his first win after over 200 starts. 

I don't think the same fate awaits DeChambeau.  I think he will find early success.  Just don't anoint him before he really gets his feet wet.  There's aways the chance he'll be on the web.com tour five years from now, struggling for his tour card.

I played a round with Gossett and some others at Southwind back in 2002ish, it amazes how well they play, and can't find success on the tour. I have lots of respect for the guys on the tour that grind it out every year.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 21, 2016, 12:34:12 am

Lol what a crock of shat

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 28, 2016, 10:19:38 pm
Lol what a crock of shat

Nope, it isn't.

DeChambeau will probably be winning on the Tour in the near future.  He is not another Charles Howell III or a Bryce Molder.

It is not often that someone wins both the U.S. Amateur and the NCAA Individual Title in the same year.  By doing that, DeChambeau did what Jack Nicklaus, Phil Mickelson, and Tiger Woods also did.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 27, 2016, 06:43:08 pm
Well, at least DeChambeau did not have to use one of his exemptions for his MC performance. 

Exemptions used:

• Hilton Head
  • Wells Fargo (May 5 - May 8)
  • Byron Nelson (May 19 - May 22)
  • Colonial (May 26 - May 29)

Auto entries where exemptions are NOT required:

• Valero Texas (earned via Top 10 at Hilton Head)
  • Memorial (June 2 - June 5)
  • Quicken Loans (June 23 - June 26)

If I read correctly, I think the forecast is he will need about $750K in earnings to secure his tour status.  This does bring up an interesting point to consider - where will he use these exemptions and where should he use these exemptions? 

It appears his top ten at Hilton Head counts as one of his seven exemptions and since he finished top ten, his start at the Valero Texas Open will NOT count as one of the seven.

I guess DeChambeau is NOT eligible for the Players, US Open or British Open which makes me wonder if he might try to play in an opposite field event (such as the Barbasol - opposite the British Open). 

This will be fun to follow.
Seven, I think an exemption has to be used any time you play on the PGA tour.  My brother-in-law is the caddy for Schneiderjans who is in the same boat as DeChambeau.  They did not get any chances on the PGA without using one of their seven exemptions (last year or this year).  The only time that I am aware of that you do not use an exemption is if you finish in the top 5 of a tour event, you are automatically qualified for the next event without a sponsors exemption. 

They need to finish first or second in an PGA event to qualify for the rest of the year.  I suspect he will be on the web.com next year just like Ollie is this year.  Ollie's last exemption is the Wells Fargo for this year.   

ricepig

Quote from: East TN HAWG on April 29, 2016, 12:20:20 pm
Seven, I think an exemption has to be used any time you play on the PGA tour.  My brother-in-law is the caddy for Schneiderjans who is in the same boat as DeChambeau.  They did not get any chances on the PGA without using one of their seven exemptions (last year or this year).  The only time that I am aware of that you do not use an exemption is if you finish in the top 5 of a tour event, you are automatically qualified for the next event without a sponsors exemption. 

They need to finish first or second in an PGA event to qualify for the rest of the year.  I suspect he will be on the web.com next year just like Ollie is this year.  Ollie's last exemption is the Wells Fargo for this year.   

I thought it was a Top 10 that got you into the next week?

East TN HAWG

That's right Ollie has appeared in six, and last is the Wells Fargo in a couple of weeks.  He is 9 on web.com.  He hasn't won yet.