Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conway Area Golfers

Started by hogfankb, June 08, 2006, 01:25:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

Any suggestions on a membership. I am currently a member at PVAC up here in fayatteville but I will be moving to Conway very soon and will need a place to play. I have played Centennial a couple of times through my membership at PVAC and enjoyed it. But I want to get everyones opinion on the best place.

It will be just me on the membership and it is all about the golf. I don't care much about the pool, tennis courts and all that stuff. Except for maybe the 19th hole(centennial does have one right?). The price is about the same the only difference is I wouldn't have an initiation fee at Centennial. Has anyone played both and if so which one is in better shape most of the time? I haven't ever played CCC but just from talking to them and looking around the clubhouse they seem to keep a high standard of the way they do everything.

Also for any of you members at centennial do they not have the "platinum" package like the other lindsey courses do? Where I could play all the other lindsey courses plus get my range balls and cart free at CVCC. I talked to one of the guys that worked there and he lead me to believe there is only one package but my pro up here thought the platinum package was offered for all lindsey courses. That would seal the deal in book because I don't walk anywhere.

Also which one has the highest number of horrible golfers that like to gamble? :)

HamShank

I've played both quite a bit.  Conway was built early last century.  It's short, and now has subdivisions on all sides.  However, I think the greens at Conway are terrific and it's a good little layout, other than a few chickenshiite holes.  Some of the holes are ridiculously tight and there are a couple where they have inside-the-course O.B. because they've run out of space and want you to still be punished for going for a couple of greens, etc.

Centennial is pretty standard for the newer Lindsay courses.  It may be the better course layot-wise, but they have trouble with their greens every once in a while.  Also, the members at the former Cadron Valley CC in that area were given a membership at Centennial when they dozed their old goat-ranch.  Because of that, I've heard - and I don't know this from personal experience - there is slightly more of a redneck contingent out at Centennial.  At least that's what I've heard.  God knows.

Regarding gambling, I would say CCC.  There are some mighty good players out there, though so be careful.  There's also a tendency to play cards or shoot craps well into the night since it's one of the only places in Conway you can legally drink.

CCC has better tournaments and events, I think.  The other thing to consider with Conway is that - and I've just heard this as rumor - because the course is on what is considered to be prime, West Conway neighborhood real estate and because the course has run out of room, they've talked about a land-swap.  They would sell off the land to developers, build a prime, new course out on the hill by the Arkansas River (Toadsuck proper), and then move all the memberships out to the new course once it's built. 

They wouldn't screw you; you would never be without a course.  Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point, I think, but where there's smoke there may just be fire...though you'd be talking about several years down the road.

Oh, and CVCC has better practice facitilities by far.  Food is pretty good at both.  I don't know about the membership packages.  ...Hope this helps.

hogfankb

Thanks for the help HamShank. Does CVCC have a bar?

joedirt

Join up at Bunker Hill (that was a joke by the way, as is their course)

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

I play Centennial about 6 times a year, when I'm in Conway for meetings.  It's a nice course, long and spread out, you need a cart.  Right now they are totally revamping the lay out.  Used to have a bunch of mounds and they are flattening them out so there is alot of ground under repair and construction equipment.  I think once they get finished it will be a better more member friendly course.

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

HamShank

Quote from: hogfankb on June 08, 2006, 08:34:31 pm
Thanks for the help HamShank. Does CVCC have a bar?

CVCC does have a nice dining room and bar, yessir.  However, I think it has less of a "19th hole, drink with your buddies" environment than CCC, and more of a fine dining environment (while CCC has that in a separate building).  I honestly haven't spent much time upstairs at CV, though.  I know you can get plenty of beer both places, if that helps.

I would go play both and see what you think.  If you're a member of another Arkansas country club, I don't know if you need a member to get on at Conway.  Most importantly, it's a little apples and oranges because I think it really depends on what TYPE of course you like.  For instance, while Chenal is one of the prettiest courses in Arkansas, I still prefer LRCC or PV in Little Rock because I like the older style courses.

Of course, by the time you've been in Conway for a while and played at whatever course you choose, you'll have met a dozen people who are members at both and can take you over to the other one all you want.  Also, they used to do a club vs. club tournament which was fun.