Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good Friday Golf!?

Started by jforte, April 11, 2006, 10:16:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jforte

This Friday is Good Friday...some of us have the day off of work...there are a bunch of us playing golf Friday at Prairie Creek CC and teeing off at 10am.  Come join in on the fun...bring a friend...bring yourself....great way to start off a great sports weekend!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: jforte on April 11, 2006, 10:16:57 am
This Friday is Good Friday...some of us have the day off of work...there are a bunch of us playing golf Friday at Prairie Creek CC and teeing off at 10am.  Come join in on the fun...bring a friend...bring yourself....great way to start off a great sports weekend!

A bunch of Hogville folks?

jforte

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 10:29:19 am

right now we have two foursomes...3 of us are Hogvillians, it would be cool to get some more Hogvillians

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: jforte on April 11, 2006, 10:33:27 am
Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 10:29:19 am

right now we have two foursomes...3 of us are Hogvillians, it would be cool to get some more Hogvillians

I'll let you know shortly...  I'm supposed to play in a tourney this weekend, but I don't know if it's on Fri/Sat.

12under

any money involved?  that could peak some interest...

PennHOG

I wanna play!  I wanna play.  Can someone send me a plane ticket? 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

hogfankb

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 11:08:37 am

How many strokes you giving 12under?

12under

Quote from: hogfankb on April 11, 2006, 11:16:06 am

how many u think you need?

FLKeysGuy

If you shoot 12 under, I'll take 32 strokes, please.  ;D

when the USGA sent me my latest handicap index, it was the infinity sign.

Franchise_Hog

You all will burn in hell for playing golf the day the Lord died and to make matters worse, gambling on it.  You might as well get drunk also.......I really don't mean all this seriously, just want to give you guys a hard time.

jforte

Hope a bunch of people show up...it could be really fun...any bets can be discussed at the course

hogfankb

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 11:50:20 am
Quote from: hogfankb on April 11, 2006, 11:16:06 am

how many u think you need?

I believe FlKeysGuys has just about the right number. I played for the first time this year yesterday. Atleast I didn't hurt anyone...I don't think. But I have to work so you got lucky. You can keep your money.

12under

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 12:03:54 pm

that sure is alot of strokes

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 01:07:21 pm

I like to get my money's worth!  ;)

jforte

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 01:19:32 pm

I always get my moneys worth at Prairie Creek...I usually get to see the whole course

FLKeysGuy

In the St. Andrews guide to golf, "Prairie Creek" translates into "Play X-OUTS"

jforte

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 01:26:18 pm
In the St. Andrews guide to golf, "Prairie Creek" translates into "Play X-OUTS"

awesome

12under

Quote from: jforte on April 11, 2006, 01:24:49 pm

I always get my moneys worth at Prairie Creek...I usually get to see the whole course
that place is awful

jforte

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 02:57:07 pm
Quote from: jforte on April 11, 2006, 01:24:49 pm

that place is awful

awful----ly challenging...If a person can play Prairie Creek they can play anywhere....they have great greens, most of the fairways are tight...cartpaths on the top nine are horrible...they make my beer foam up

FLKeysGuy

Prairie Creek is very challenging

Big Sugar is the one that's just plain stupid.

Sonofahog

I am trying to decide which course to play in Hot Springs Village Friday.
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

jforte

April 11, 2006, 08:39:22 pm #21 Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:36:42 pm by jforte
Isabella and Balboa are very good courses, two of my favorites...Ponce de Leon is also very nice...but I would suggest Isabella

FLKeysGuy

See ya guys at Prairie Creek at 10 AM Friday.  I'll see if I can't round up a few others.

jforte

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 12, 2006, 06:58:29 am
See ya guys at Prairie Creek at 10 AM Friday.  I'll see if I can't round up a few others.

It'll be good to meet cha FLkeys...should be a good time

excoach

take plenty of golf balls for that course.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: excoach on April 12, 2006, 09:09:17 am

I will!  This will be the second outing of 2006 for this rusty hacker.  I'll probably use my collection of "found" balls rather than cracking open the Pro V1x's this early in the season.   

hog_golf

I havent played prairie creek in a while, but valley view is my favorite course in NWA.  Its a good conditioned course with a lot of variety.

excoach

Valley View is pretty nice, I like Stonebridge in Fay better. Prairie Creek is a tough course. Lot's of sloping fairways. Always play on the highside of the fairway so your ball doesnt roll into the woods.

FLKeysGuy

Stonebridge is probably my favorite public course in NWA; Prairie Creek would be a close runner up;  but I play most rounds at Lost Springs (member there).

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 12, 2006, 09:48:11 am
I'll probably use my collection of "found" balls rather than cracking open the Pro V1x's this early in the season.  

Pro V1x's are the shiz.  They are about 15 yards longer than the Pro V1.  Still spin well too when going onto the dance floor.  Nothing like hitting a 60 degree wedge from about 45 yards out and it acts like you're pulling it back with a string.  Too bad I can't do it ALL the time.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 12, 2006, 10:56:59 am
I'll probably use my collection of "found" balls rather than cracking open the Pro V1x's this early in the season.  

Pro V1x's are the shiz.  They are about 15 yards longer than the Pro V1.  Still spin well too when going onto the dance floor.  Nothing like hitting a 60 degree wedge from about 45 yards out and it acts like you're pulling it back with a string.  Too bad I can't do it ALL the time.

I usually keep the wedge in the bag until mid-summer when I finally get some "touch" again.  Until then, I'm rolling 'em up from 50 yards out!!!

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 12, 2006, 11:00:15 am

I usually keep the wedge in the bag until mid-summer when I finally get some "touch" again.  Until then, I'm rolling 'em up from 50 yards out!!!

I should do that more often.  However, it's just too tempting at HSv, with the fairways being thick and the ball setting up so well.  You just have to wedge it.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 12, 2006, 11:13:00 am

I should do that more often.  However, it's just too tempting at HSv, with the fairways being thick and the ball setting up so well.  You just have to wedge it.

I like the Pro V1x's best.  One of my buddies (a 3 hcp) swears the Nike One Platinum is longer and has more spin than the Pro V1x.  I haven't noticed that much difference, but I'm not a 3 either!

hogfankb

While your on the subject. In everyone's opinion what is the best ball for really spinning the golf ball. Distance isn't really a problem with me but for some reason I have trouble spinning the ball around the green. I know there is a lot more involved in spinning the ball that just which brand you hit but I am looking to try something new. (of course it doesn't matter this time of year after taking the winter off i need something that won't scuff when I hit it off the paths, trees or rocks :) )

jforte

Quote from: hogfankb on April 12, 2006, 12:34:15 pm

While your on the subject. In everyone's opinion what is the best ball for really spinning the golf ball. Distance isn't really a problem with me but for some reason I have trouble spinning the ball around the green. I know there is a lot more involved in spinning the ball that just which brand you hit but I am looking to try something new. (of course it doesn't matter this time of year after taking the winter off i need something that won't scuff when I hit it off the paths, trees or rocks :) )

now anyone else please chime in...the main thing for me is I always get spin results with just about any kind of ball...the key for me is to always hit my sand or pitching wedge to try and get the ball to spin back on the green

FayettenamVeteran

Hit down and through the ball with an accellerated swing to create backspin.   

However, you won't get a 2 piece ball to spin like a 3 piece.  2 piece balls typically have a hard polymer cover made not to spin, but to control the slice for a stereotypical hacker.  Distance, low compression, large core are their forte.  Stay away from all the Top Flite's at Wal Mart.  Buy some Pro V1 or V1X's, Calloway HX or HX Tour Black's.  The Calloway HX Tour's are comparible to the Pro V and just a bit cheaper.

FayettenamVeteran

April 12, 2006, 01:40:37 pm #36 Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 01:42:15 pm by FayettenamVeteran
Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 12, 2006, 01:35:02 pm

However, you won't get a 2 piece ball to spin like a 3 piece.  2 piece balls typically have a hard polymer cover made not to spin, but to control the slice for a stereotypical hacker.  Distance, low compression, large core are their forte.  Stay away from all the Top Flite's at Wal Mart.  Buy some Pro V1 or V1X's, Calloway HX or HX Tour Black's.  The Calloway HX Tour's are comparible to the Pro V and just a bit cheaper.

A dozen Pro V1's cost about $45.  Pretty steep for what most of us end up losing anyway.  Cut and paste this link into your browser, http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__att361142--255265-,att361175--278896-,cat_id--12070300,keyword--golf%20balls.html

Buy some that are refurbished, play with them and see if you like them. 

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 12, 2006, 01:40:37 pm

A dozen Pro V1's cost about $45.  Pretty steep for what most of us end up losing anyway.  Cut and paste this link into your browser, http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__att361142--255265-,att361175--278896-,cat_id--12070300,keyword--golf%20balls.html

This is a link to Titleist's website, regarding the construction and benefit of the Pro V1X.
http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/prov1x.asp

12under

these days most any of the "tour" type golf balls have approx. the same spin rate.  it is very difficult to learn how to spin it with any consistancy.  there are all types of ways to spin it depending on what type of shot you have. 

hogfankb

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 12, 2006, 01:40:37 pm

I usually play NXT Tours when I am playing for anything "important." If I am just hacking around trying to get better I know a guy that refurbs balls for courses and can get them for about 30 cents a piece. I think it probably has more to do with my lack of skill with my short game. I can usually spin the ball with a full club (depending of course on the situation) but hitting chips and things around the green or little 40 yard shots with a LW just doesn't check up as much as I want. It is probably more a lack of confidence to really attack the ball. I was just hoping someone knew a ball that would help me without me having to put in the short game work to figure it out.

hogfankb

If you have one that will help me with the spin do you have one that will make me a decent putter too?

O'Squeal

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 03:05:35 pm

Theres nothing wrong with Big Sugar minus holes 12 and 15. Just keep it in the fairway and its all good. we also have a 9 hole scramble every tuesday at 5 pm for 12 bucks including cart. Must call to sign up by 4. A good way to get broken in if you have never played there. Let me know if you want anymore info.
Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HawgTooth on April 12, 2006, 05:00:04 pm

Theres nothing wrong with Big Sugar minus holes 12 and 15. Just keep it in the fairway and its all good. we also have a 9 hole scramble every tuesday at 5 pm for 12 bucks including cart. Must call to sign up by 4. A good way to get broken in if you have never played there. Let me know if you want anymore info.

I played it about 15 times last summer.  That's enough for one lifetime.

O'Squeal

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 12, 2006, 05:03:39 pm

Awwwww come on FLKeys I have a blast there. Played our sramble last tues and shot 7 under for 9 holes. Its more of target golf than anything. Did you see what happened to #3 green. Still pisses me off.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HawgTooth on April 12, 2006, 05:11:47 pm

Awwwww come on FLKeys I have a blast there. Played our sramble last tues and shot 7 under for 9 holes. Its more of target golf than anything. Did you see what happened to #3 green. Still pisses me off.

Is that the par 3 that some yayhoo drove all over?

jforte

Quote from: HawgTooth on April 12, 2006, 05:11:47 pm

HawgTooth, are you in friday at Prairie Creek?

O'Squeal

Thats the one FL. They caught them. Couple 16 year olds.

No I can't go friday, gotta work and I have a tourny saturday up in Cassville. Good luck to all... Hit 'em straight.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HawgTooth on April 12, 2006, 10:48:13 pm
Hit 'em straight.

Now why'd you go and spoil my fun by adding this pressure?!!! 

Hawg414

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 12, 2006, 11:15:38 am
Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 12, 2006, 11:13:00 am

I like the Pro V1x's best.  One of my buddies (a 3 hcp) swears the Nike One Platinum is longer and has more spin than the Pro V1x.  I haven't noticed that much difference, but I'm not a 3 either!

the PRO V1 should have more spin and better all around performance than the PRO V1x UNLESS you generate enough club speed to justify the differences in the ball... and 99% of us dont.  i dont have any experience with the nike platinums... but i personally favor the Callaway HX TOUR 56s.  i think they are longer, and i think they spin more than either of the PRO V1s. 

but theyre basically all the same.  in other words... are you a ford or a chevrolet guy?

FLKeysGuy

Completely BIG FUN Hogville!  jforte and the rest of us had a great time playing golf in between beers.  I highly recommend it to all.

FLKG.