Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seems Pretty Clear

Started by Oklahawg, December 19, 2014, 07:35:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

It seems pretty clear to me.

You get 25 scholarships each year. Thousands of players nationwide to select from. A handful are instant stars in college and others become stars after a few years developing in a system.

Some recruits get few if any looks despite what appears to be worthy talent. Others get fawned over by recruiters, gooroos and fans alike...for no discernable reason, an exercise in groupthink, if you will.

I get upset when UA "loses" a target when we lose a recruit because a second recruit tells UA they are coming but wind up not coming to UA. That's about it. I love to follow the talent, and enjoy the inevitable tidbits that come out (AC and his Mom, for example, but that is bigger than a tidbit!).

What really chaps me is the poster who transforms into a clinically-ill member of our online community. You know the poster - everything becomes gloom and doom; every recruit we chase is a "project"; every recruit we lose is a sign that the program should be shut down; every program is better than UA; every coach is inept; etc.

They reared their ugly heads today. We lost out on a recruit many fans targeted (and, no doubt, the staff had high hopes we'd land). Overlooked are the additional recruits at the same position that we are still recruiting. These so-called fans assume that because one recruit chooses before another they are the better recruit...unless they would choose UA, of course.

It does not bother me one bit to lock threads. Move threads. Ask for an admin to ban or delete an account.

For the rest of us we get to enjoy talking shop about recruiting. We get to speculate and have "Christmas in February"! We get to see the program grow before our eyes. It keeps us busy between games and seasons. That will remain enjoyable as long as I am a mod.

Keep it clean. Beef to yourselves. And, keep the forum favorable towards the Hogs.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

forrest city joe

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2014, 07:35:49 pm

You get 25 scholarships each year. Thousands of players nationwide to select from. A handful are instant stars in college and others become stars after a few years developing in a system.

Some recruits get few if any looks despite what appears to be worthy talent. Others get fawned over by recruiters, gooroos and fans alike...for no discernable reason, an exercise in groupthink, if you will.

I get upset when UA "loses" a target when we lose a recruit because a second recruit tells UA they are coming but wind up not coming to UA. That's about it. I love to follow the talent, and enjoy the inevitable tidbits that come out (AC and his Mom, for example, but that is bigger than a tidbit!).

What really chaps me is the poster who transforms into a clinically-ill member of our online community. You know the poster - everything becomes gloom and doom; every recruit we chase is a "project"; every recruit we lose is a sign that the program should be shut down; every program is better than UA; every coach is inept; etc.

They reared their ugly heads today. We lost out on a recruit many fans targeted (and, no doubt, the staff had high hopes we'd land). Overlooked are the additional recruits at the same position that we are still recruiting. These so-called fans assume that because one recruit chooses before another they are the better recruit...unless they would choose UA, of course.

It does not bother me one bit to lock threads. Move threads. Ask for an admin to ban or delete an account.

For the rest of us we get to enjoy talking shop about recruiting. We get to speculate and have "Christmas in February"! We get to see the program grow before our eyes. It keeps us busy between games and seasons. That will remain enjoyable as long as I am a mod.

Keep it clean. Beef to yourselves. And, keep the forum favorable towards the Hogs.

+1000. well said. GO HOGS.

redeye

And, keep the forum favorable towards the Hogs.

It's a Hog forum, so there's no good reason it shouldn't be.

Thanks for all you do Oklahawg!

jjdlc

ricepig

No doubt, it's about our recruiting. Sure, it isn't always going to be perfect, or go the way we wish, but there's ways to state that with out being an ass.

greenie

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 07:50:30 pm
No doubt, it's about our recruiting. Sure, it isn't always going to be perfect, or go the way we wish, but there's ways to state that with our being an ass.

Here here.

I am not wanting this to be the message board equivalent of a Branch Dividian compound. Opinions can be offered up without bashing, trolling, or being clinical.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawg1221

I love it when Arkansas lands a big recruit and when we lose one it hurts a bit. But I think positively. Any recruit that signs with Arkansas, no matter the rankings, makes me start thinking about all the diamonds in the rough the coaches found...like Trey Flowers.

sowmonella

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This post should be stickied at the top of this forum.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Steef

Lock and move, dude. Lock and move as you see fit.

Less is more.

I never understood why anyone would get angry about having a post moved. Or thread locked. Its just electrons. That cost absolutely nothing...to the poster who just lost them.

And an admonition that maybe they should look for a new and refreshing way to express themselves...that won't get them lockedmoved ....or banned.

Some things ...just don't need to be said. No really...they don't.

Pathogen

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2014, 07:53:38 pm
I am not wanting this to be the message board equivalent of a Branch Dividian compound. Opinions can be offered up without bashing, trolling, or being clinical.

The "ready to jump" bashing, and the pure trolling that started to overtake the board for a while was annoying.  But the pendulum has swung back too far.  The mere mention of our quarterback Br*nd*n All*n (short of complimenting him), seems to earn a ban or thread lock.  Being a resident optimist is fine, but how about we target balance. 9/10 times, optimism and pessimism are both wrong. I'm all for no trolling or bashing, but how about we put the brakes on sunshine pumping too?

Huckleberry Pig

and that's why you're a mod, thanks Oklahawg.  +1

mhuff

Quote from: steefhog on December 19, 2014, 08:17:04 pm

Less is more.

I never understood why anyone would get angry about having a post moved. Or thread locked. Its just electrons. That cost absolutely nothing...to the poster who just lost them.

And an admonition that maybe they should look for a new and refreshing way to express themselves...that won't get them lockedmoved ....or banned.

jackflash

For me their is already a lot to like about this class. Great defensive line, 3 top Tight ends 3 good Wide Receivers and RB who had a great season and what not to like about the QB. I think we will have to wait until the middle of January on LB and DB but their still on some goods. I am willing to wait for the good ones

LRHawg

Less is more, indeed. If rather read 1 good thread than 3 troll-filled threads with "my uncles cousins neighbor heard"...

Oklahawg

Less is more.

Love ya, brotha.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

It's the same way with the season. I was as disappointed with the A&M loss as anyone, but I did NOT write off the season or urinate and moan "we'll never win another SEC game" or "how can you keep a coach who goes 0-8 in the SEC two years in a row" way before that fate was possible.

On Aug. 30 and several weeks beyond, many of the "experts" had Auburn blowing thru everyone and at least going to the first CFP, if not winning it. The same so-called experts had us going 0-8.

We were a missed FG away from finishing ONE GAME behind Auburn and finished just two games behind them as it was after being projected to finish 7-8 games behind them.

I don't moan, groan and play the poor lil' ol' Arkiesaw card about that loss or any of the others. We did not EARN a win in that game as football games are FOUR quarters, we played only three.

Bama and Misstake were close, frustrating losses but they were and are better in 2014 than us and made plays to win the game, we did not.

Georgia mangled us in the 2nd quarter and it was too much to overcome. Mizzou dominated the 4th quarter.

We are a 6-6 team this year which is just what the team EARNED by having a disastrous quarter in all of the losses, 5 of those quarters coming in the 4th quarter...

But the sky didn't fall, the sun came up the next day, this team put together two dominating defensive and efficient offensive games to win 2 of 3 to get in a Bowl and losing one recruit, or two or three for that matter, is not going to make us or break us.

We wanted Haughton, but I doubt if Trey Flowers was our first choice at DE a few years back. How did that turn out?

I recall a few hand-wringing Chicken Little's deciding that Jake Bequette's departure was going to be a disaster and Flowers turned out to be better.

I picked 6-6 before the season and stuck with it all the way through as I was hoping for better. Yes, it could have been better, but wasn't better for valid reasons, mainly needing more speed on offense and playing 4 quarters.

6-6 is what we earned and we will earn better talent at safety than what we currently have. When one guy goes elsewhere, you just have to say next man up like on the field.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

downsouthhawg72

I think when we lose a recruit that's their loss & not ours. I think we have the best coaching staff in the SEC & they showed it this year on the field, is showing it in recruiting & will show it next year. CBB & his staff know what their doing so I have no worries at all. It's a lot of players we wanted last year that we didn't get & we are very lucky they didn't choose us. So we will be ok once Feb rolls around & we will be A OK once August & the games rolls around. WPS!!!'
DownSouthHawg

Richard_white

We are okay.  Even though I would loved Haughton commit to us, we are on some good talent.  The way our coaches develop we should get a few top recruits sooner rather than later.

Thepigdoctor

I should smite you for using logic on a day when we, grown men, had our hearts broken by a 17 year old boy.

But alas, I like common sense; and your posts.

Dominicanhog

I think it's sad that some people get off on being able to lock a post or ban someone.. let them say what they want to say.. if we suck at something let it be said.. we monitor, gate keep  to such an extreme that we only see through Hog colored glasses.. grow up, life ain't all about being right or only my way... back and forth  is what bring energy to a topic and also what gets the best out of people... let it go and get off your "I can lock this thread or ban this person" high horse.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 20, 2014, 12:00:53 am
I think it's sad that some people get off on being able to lock a post or ban someone.. let them say what they want to say.. if we suck at something let it be said.. we monitor, gate keep  to such an extreme that we only see through Hog colored glasses.. grow up, life ain't all about being right or only my way... back and forth  is what bring energy to a topic and also what gets the best out of people... let it go and get off your "I can lock this thread or ban this person" high horse.
This is the Recruiting Forum.  Do your whining elsewhere.

Preferably off the board, but certainly not in here.

And I can tell you, these guys don't "get off" on moderating.  People force them to do it because of the incessant level of complaining.

Even if you have a negative opinion, is it really necessary to repeat it, ad nauseum, in thread after thread?
All Gas, No Brakes!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 20, 2014, 12:00:53 am

You managed to pick one thing out of that post but apparently missed the spirit of the total message. None of us like to lock, move or delete posts. Trust me, doing that isn't what makes us get up in the morning, so your assumption that it is the equivalent of being on our "high horse" couldn't be any more wrong. These things tend to be carefully weighed and considered by the Mod/Admin team before taking action because we want to be fair to everyone who posts, even those who test the forum limits at times.

It is just fine to have an opinion, but for some it seems that this means getting up every day and pouring out all of the negativity in their life through their keyboard on this board. An opinion is one thing, saying it repeatedly every day and often times doing so in order to incite arguments through the "back and forth" really isn't necessary and detracts from the quality and value of these forums.

Oklahawg's message is right on point. I suggest that you go back and read it and skip over the lock/ban portion that seems to bother you and see if you don't agree.

Keep up the good work Oklahawg.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

No Mod "gets off" moving, locking, banning. If they did, Lanny would see to it they didn't stay Mods for long.

Okla's post wasn't about the joys of editing. It was about encouraging and cajoling the general membership to post in such a manner that editing wouldn't be needed.

That IS an achievable hope. Because any idea worth sharing can be expressed with courtesy.

And it's an impossible hope, too. Because any large group of people together, will always include a few who enjoy chaos.

Thus...the need for Mods. And editing.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 05:20:39 am

Oklahawg's message is right on point. I suggest that you go back and read it and skip over the lock/ban portion that seems to bother you and see if you don't agree.

I did read it, the first time... I understand the spirit and don't disagree with most all of it.. but I also stand by what I said... let people post, not agreeing with  someone and having debates are how you get at the "real spirit" of a topic...

and btw, you can look back at my post and see, I think, that I don't wake up and dump negativity on this board.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 20, 2014, 07:08:12 am
I did read it, the first time... I understand the spirit and don't disagree with most all of it.. but I also stand by what I said... let people post, not agreeing with  someone and having debates are how you get at the "real spirit" of a topic...

and btw, you can look back at my post and see, I think, that I don't wake up and dump negativity on this board.
You're fighting a losing battle. This site is about volume. They'd rather have 3727273828 idiots posting who know nothing about recruiting or football in general than back and forth discussion.

ricepig

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on December 20, 2014, 07:31:53 am
You're fighting a losing battle. This site is about volume. They'd rather have 3727273828 idiots posting who know nothing about recruiting or football in general than back and forth discussion.

He said nothing against back and forth discussion, he did mention the manner/tone in which it occurs.

MuskogeeHogFan

I wasn't pointing a finger at you, at least that wasn't my intent. But there are plenty of those folks on this board that fit that profile. If it doesn't apply to you, disregard.
Go Hogs Go!

kp72204

Hook 'em Hogs

Both sides of an argument can be idiots. In threads where thoughtless sunshine or thoughtless negativity is pumped, it NEVER stays as simple "back and forth discussion". It may between two posters, but then the idiots come in.  The mods are doing it right. They are regulating the men who can't seem to practice a little self control and regulate themselves. The board is better for it. As far as the site being about volume, I seriously think you're just playing the victim card. If it was about volume, they wouldn't shut down the whole MMQB Forum on game days. If it was about volume, they wouldn't ban or suspend posters. It's about good, quality info and discussion. Thank you mods for keeping the main thing the main thing!

Steef

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on December 20, 2014, 08:03:58 am
Both sides of an argument can be idiots. In threads where thoughtless sunshine or thoughtless negativity is pumped, it NEVER stays as simple "back and forth discussion". It may between two posters, but then the idiots come in.  The mods are doing it right. They are regulating the men who can't seem to practice a little self control and regulate themselves. The board is better for it. As far as the site being about volume, I seriously think you're just playing the victim card. If it was about volume, they wouldn't shut down the whole MMQB Forum on game days. If it was about volume, they wouldn't ban or suspend posters. It's about good, quality info and discussion. Thank you mods for keeping the main thing the main thing!

This is a well spoken reply.

I was goung to reply to him myself, but am glad I waited. You did it better than I would have.

ifghog

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on December 20, 2014, 08:03:58 am
Nicely said sir!

Rocky Mountain Living

December 20, 2014, 08:54:42 am #32 Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:09:04 am by Rocky Mountain Living

Less is more.

Steef, I understand what you are saying....by "locking", "moving", and the like

Some opinions don't need to be said or typed, but I appreciate open and honest discussion vs a message board of closed and dishonest conversation.

PS.  My opinion...disappointed by losing the target at Safety....I will no longer mention his name.

but I really like De'Andre Coley at S....IMO, he will be an upgrade at the position next year.  He really showed up this season.  He was involved on every tackle at the end of the LSWho game.  I enjoyed his "keep on feeding me" display after making 2 or 3 tackles in a row. STUD

ricepig

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on December 20, 2014, 08:54:42 am

Some opinions don't need to be said or typed, but I appreciate open and honest discussion vs a message board of closed and dishonest conversation.

PS.  My opinion...disappointed by losing the target at Safety....I will no longer mention his name.

but I really like De'Andre Coley at S....IMO, he will be an upgrade at the position next year.  He really showed up this season.  He was involved on every tackle at the end of the LSWho game.  I enjoyed his "keep on feeding me" display after making 2 or 3 tackles in a row. STUD

And no one has a problem with this, especially in the Recruiting Forum. It's the "recruiting is in the toilet, and the last of the class will suck", that's the problem.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on December 20, 2014, 08:54:42 am

There isn't anything wrong with being disappointed that we lost a kid that we wanted. Heck, eveyone is disappointed at one time or another in recruiting season. The only problem is when it goes beyond that and turns into ranting or being delusional in blaming a staff that is being extremely active and working harder and producing far more in recruiting than any staff we have had here since the Broyles days.

As good as this staff is at recruiting and as hard as they work, when you consider what they are accomplishing with only 2 SEC wins in the last two seasons to promote the program, they are far and away better than any staff we have had in 40 years. The more wins we get, the easier it will be to promote and sell the program to recruits. It is a process.
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

At the end of the day, this is the recruiting forum not MMQB.  Some will say recruits don't read this forum, I say BS.  If you don't think it makes the recruiting process even more difficult, you are extremely obtuse.

Objective discussion is one thing, pissing all over a recruit or a whole class is out of line.  You want to rain down negativity...find another forum.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 20, 2014, 09:42:47 am
At the end of the day, this is the recruiting forum not MMQB.  Some will say recruits don't read this forum, I say BS.  If you don't think it makes the recruiting process even more difficult, you are extremely obtuse.

Objective discussion is one thing, pissing all over a recruit or a whole class is out of line.  You want to rain down negativity...find another forum.

Head meet nail. My support of the mods comes from the believe that they do the best they can to allow open discussion with plenty of disagreements, until/if/when a thread or poster becomes a danger to the university. The whole point of this board is to allow Razorback fans from across the world to share in the good, the bad, and the in between, where they otherwise would have no one to talk to about the Hogs. A place where we can get an inside scoop to recruiting, learn a little of what goes on behind the scenes, and share in our most common bond, love for the hogs. It is when the board becomes a threat to our betterment as a program, in even the slightest way, that mods should exercise authority.

You can tell a lot about a person by the way they present themselves hidden behind a keyboard. If the only place you find yourself posting on game day is in the vent thread, it should probably tell you a little about yourself. You start with a negative attitude about anything in life and you're sure to find something to support that.

Qhog

You think people would learn the nature of recruiting is more recruits are not gonna pan out than are.  The staff talks to hundreds of recruits each year, and many of the ones we get excited about (based on our crack HV research team that NFL scouts are drooling over to hire for youtube evaluations) don't work out. 

I get excited about recruits too (I read HV more than I post), but I'm definitely not a sky is falling type when someone doesn't work out.  There is always a Trey Flowers type whose name we hear about two days before signing day ready to step in.  Or Philon who we never heard about until signing day. If you look at the big picture, I think most objective fans (and observers who aren't ARK fans) would say ARK's recruiting under Bielema is better than it has been in a long time.

LAHogfan123

Doing it, griping and having the (World is coming to and end) attitude is certainly not needed in the Recruiting Forum.  Kids that are being looked at to come here to be potential Razorbacks certainly don't need to see all that negativity that spews forth from some.

I kinda know what you're saying regarding Mods in a small sampling, but for the majority, they're a very good group that give us a very wide range to ride on.  There's only been a couple of what I'd call bad apples I've seen that after a Mod deleted a poster or two he boasted about doing so, which I thought was a bit classless.

lefty08

as far as the sunshine pumping goes, ill take 100 sunshine pumping posters over a handful of trolls anyday. its not funny or cute to rile people up from behind a machine, its sad really. Keep doing what you do Okla, one of the mods i respect a lot
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Oklahawg

Not quite. We want to eliminate the ONE poster who posts 3727273828 posts that don't do a damn thing to make UA fandom better, UA recruiting better, or HV more readable. We want the crap out of the way so that the rest can enjoy.

Ask yourself: when is the last time your post left a moderator going, "damn fine post"?

Wildhog

This board has always been my favorite.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: lefty08 on December 20, 2014, 12:43:11 pm
as far as the sunshine pumping goes, ill take 100 sunshine pumping posters over a handful of trolls anyday. its not funny or cute to rile people up from behind a machine, its sad really. Keep doing what you do Okla, one of the mods i respect a lot

I completely agree.  It's very sad.

The funny thing is that I don't really notice all these sunshine pumpers nowadays.  Maybe that's because I'm one myself?  I don't think so, because I grew up listening to Rick Schaeffer call games and I've seen it around Hogville in the past, so it's not that I don't know what it means.  I do, however, think many of us do our best to remain positive at all times, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Tusks

I would hate to be you, seriously I would.

I'll make a deal with you.  I will personally, out of my own pocket, give you a refund for the price of admission to this site and you can spend that money on another site that is more to your liking.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

mhuff

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on December 20, 2014, 09:53:43 am
Head meet nail. My support of the mods comes from the believe that they do the best they can to allow open discussion with plenty of disagreements, until/if/when a thread or poster becomes a danger to the university. The whole point of this board is to allow Razorback fans from across the world to share in the good, the bad, and the in between, where they otherwise would have no one to talk to about the Hogs. A place where we can get an inside scoop to recruiting, learn a little of what goes on behind the scenes, and share in our most common bond, love for the hogs. It is when the board becomes a threat to our betterment as a program, in even the slightest way, that mods should exercise authority.

You can tell a lot about a person by the way they present themselves hidden behind a keyboard. If the only place you find yourself posting on game day is in the vent thread, it should probably tell you a little about yourself. You start with a negative attitude about anything in life and you're sure to find something to support that.

mhuff

Quote from: lefty08 on December 20, 2014, 12:43:11 pm

A few years ago this board was not a pleasant place to be. Now it is better than ever..... The number of trolls has been weeded out ,and there is a lot more discussion. There are only a few on here that want to call people names and create havoc at every turn. If those posters were warned, perhaps this board could be even better. I question the loyalty and agenda of posters who only want to keep meaningless dialogue going. I personally have found it to be much easier to delete those posters rather than having to tolerate them.

Oklahawg has been instrumental in making this site more enjoyable. Thank you Oklahawg and all the mods who give of their time to improve this site. Thanks all the posters who provide all the info instead of talking on and on and on about nothing.

Oklahawg

Quote from: mhuff on December 20, 2014, 05:53:46 pm

Oklahawg has been instrumental in making this site more enjoyable. Thank you Oklahawg and all the mods who give of their time to improve this site. Thanks all the posters who provide all the info instead of talking on and on and on about nothing.

I appreciate it!

Two items to note:
1. mods can only do so much - we have to have the rest of you "getting it" and joining in the fun.
2. Mods, too, make mistakes.

PorcineSublime

A couple of other things that might be worth pointing out. We are no longer competing with North Texas State and Louisiana Monroe for players. What is means is that we will miss on a lot more than we are used to missing on. But the fact is that we are in the game on some of the best players in America, and that means we will swing and miss more too. A player who goes from AA to MLB will strikeout more than he did at AA. But oh what a glorious thing to hear the crack of the bat and see the ball hit the cheap seats.

As for mods being over the top, I will defend my cohorts to the end of the earth on that one. We attempt to be fair to a fault at times. It is one of the reasons that the board got in the state it was in for awhile. We all wanted everyone to have their say. Well, truth is, some can't have their say because they can't do it without trying to outshout the room. Being louder is only good if you have something vital to share. Otherwise it is just noise.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: mhuff on December 20, 2014, 05:53:46 pm
A few years ago this board was not a pleasant place to be. Now it is better than ever..... The number of trolls has been weeded out ,and there is a lot more discussion. There are only a few on here that want to call people names and create havoc at every turn. If those posters were warned, perhaps this board could be even better. I question the loyalty and agenda of posters who only want to keep meaningless dialogue going. I personally have found it to be much easier to delete those posters rather than having to tolerate them.

There's still a few trolls running around, I could count about 20 off the top of my head, but I think they're allowed to stay to cause traffic flow, other than that, they're harmless.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on December 20, 2014, 11:26:33 pm
There's still a few trolls running around, I could count about 20 off the top of my head, but I think they're allowed to stay to cause traffic flow, other than that, they're harmless.
Yep, at least it's down to a number were you can just scroll right past their posts if wanted, because you can remember all of them.

Since this past summer, Hogville overall has improved greatly, imo, because the number of posters with agendas have been thinned out. There will always be a few, at least they will be here for a while, but they are not coming in and owning the forums anymore.

Being a mod/adm is probably a much tougher assignment than most of us realize, at least if they are serious about Hogville remaining successful. There is certainly no room for a mod/adm to be on a power trip or have their own agenda, but I don't think we see much of that  (maybe a few mistakes here and there, but not even very much of that).

There has to be a different set of rules for each forum, which there is, but one of the problems with the trolls is that they don't realize it. You might get away with posting some things in MMQB that has no place in the recruiting forum and that's the way it should be. MMQB has gotten a lot better, but it will never be like the Extra Innings Forum and it probably doesn't have to be. I've enjoyed the RF and MMQB this year, thanks to the mods/adms and the posters (with common sense) that have taken ownership of the forums.