Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jalen Merrick - Twitter

Started by trashcan maN, December 18, 2014, 07:56:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

December 18, 2014, 07:56:02 am Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:08:48 am by trashcan maN
Like many, I've been losing a little bit of hope on Merrick over the past couple of days. I'm not sure if it's the dead period, the fresh FSU predictions on 247 or just a bit of little man syndrome at the realization we're going up against an elite program for a kid in their back yard.

BUT...

After glancing over Richard's Tuesday bits and seeing that Jalen is announcing his decision on Twitter and hearing that Jalen had been following some Razorback fans over the past few days, I decided to take a look at exactly who he's following.

I don't follow any recruits and never tweet them, but I glanced through his following list and he is CLEARLY seeking out people with Razorbacks as their profile picture, people with #WPS or Razorback Fan in their profile.

I scrolled through probably 200 of his list of 2000 following and saw no less than 70-80 blatant Razorback pictures and even more folks with Razorback stuff in their profile. I believe these are people he has followed most recently, as they were at the top of the list.

I did not see one Seminole picture or one 'Noles Fan' in any of those profiles.

I think he has been committed since Pittman visited him in home on the 10th and has been stacking hundreds of Hog followers on Twitter in preparation for his big Twitter announcement ever since, and I don't really feel like I'm going out on a limb in saying that.

JaketheSnake

I agree with this. He and the coaches already know where e is going, just trying to add some drama to it. Which is fine for him to enjoy te Spotlight a bit longer. 

IBleedRazorbackRed

This has barry odom written all over it

trashcan maN

After taking a second look, I'm going to say over half of his most recent 200 follows have been Hog fans.

I didn't see any other school represented.

trashcan maN

TechHawg

He followed me out of the blue yesterday. My only twitter activity lately was a retweet of something Razorback related. And I don't follow recruits so it wasn't like I followed him, then he followed me back. I found it very interesting.

Music City Hog

Hogdomer

Quote from: TechHawg on December 18, 2014, 08:08:06 am
He followed me out of the blue yesterday. My only twitter activity lately was a retweet of something Razorback related. And I don't follow recruits so it wasn't like I followed him, then he followed me back. I found it very interesting.

He has followed me too.  I'm wondering if there is a mechanism you can set up to automatically follow anyone who has mentioned you.  If so, it may just mean that more Hog fans are active in trying to sway him.

Bad News Boar

Good post. Definately isn't a negative. Not sure we can read into it tooooooo much, but certainly don't feel worse because of it.

Reading back on this post, I realize I basically said nothing. Good Times...
Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted.

ar_hog_fan

Quote from: Bad News Boar on December 18, 2014, 09:36:20 am
Good post. Definately isn't a negative. Not sure we can read into it tooooooo much, but certainly don't feel worse because of it.

Reading back on this post, I realize I basically said nothing. Good Times...

Thanks for the great insight. +1

ARtillahog

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 18, 2014, 09:31:25 am
He has followed me too.  I'm wondering if there is a mechanism you can set up to automatically follow anyone who has mentioned you.  If so, it may just mean that more Hog fans are active in trying to sway him.

I feel left out in the "Jalen Merrick just followed me on twitter" situation.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 18, 2014, 09:31:25 am
There are programs that will auto-follow back etc, but the total lack of FSU and UF follows in the recent past suggests that's not what is happening. They're actively recruiting him on Twitter too.

Hogdomer

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 18, 2014, 09:40:43 am
There are programs that will auto-follow back etc, but the total lack of FSU and UF follows in the recent past suggests that's not what is happening. They're actively recruiting him on Twitter too.

Good to hear. 

Amityvillehogger

We can only hope. Reading the mind of an 18 year old kid is something I haven't mastered yet. It changes from day to day. I do like our chances with Pittman on our side on any OL recruit however.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

greenie

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on December 18, 2014, 08:05:10 am
This has barry odom written all over it

Only difference is Barry was waiting on us to make a decision on him.  Here, we're waiting on JM to make a decision. <over analysis  :)

I will say that I do remember a few recruits that actively trolled us for Twitter followers, even when it was obvious that they were not coming...just after the numbers.

All that said, I'm a believer that Merrick is leaning hog.

Peter Porker

I looked at his follows and some are fans of other schools.

Edit: jut looked again and he definitely is following a bunch of Hog fans. Gotta like that.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

immahog

Quote from: greenie on December 18, 2014, 09:50:57 am
Only difference is Barry was waiting on us to make a decision on him.  Here, we're waiting on JM to make a decision. <over analysis  :)

I will say that I do remember a few recruits that actively trolled us for Twitter followers, even when it was obvious that they were not coming...just after the numbers.

All that said, I'm a believer that Merrick is leaning hog.

yea but those kids did not follow back they would just tweet WPS an ask for followers ....JM is following hog fans before they follow him plus he is making his choice on twitter  where hog fans will be not at some location in florida where those fans will be ... maybe we are reaching but this is a reach I like
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

muddhogger

I looked as well and I would say at least 95% of the people he most recently followed are hog fans. This includes Jeremiah Leddbetter, Mike Conrad (Quality Control Coach), Bobby Alleb, Jim Cheney and Patrick Doherty (graduate assistant) I would say he is a silent commit as well.

JackJohnson

not being a tweeter...how does this compare to Solly Thomas' most recent followings before he chose Stanford.   Seems i remember reading threads on him in the days before signing day where he started following a bunch of our coaches/players as well

Hogberry Snortcake

forrest city joe

Quote from: muddhogger on December 18, 2014, 10:31:37 am
I looked as well and I would say at least 95% of the people he most recently followed are hog fans. This includes Jeremiah Leddbetter, Mike Conrad (Quality Control Coach), Bobby Alleb, Jim Cheney and Patrick Doherty (graduate assistant) I would say he is a silent commit as well.
It does not mean much in my opinion. and i have been on twitter for years. i hope you guys are right and he picks the Hogs. but i do not believe who he fallows on twitter will have anything to do with it. it's hard to get kids from Florida that FSU,FL or Miami wants. but we got Collins and Kirkland, so anything can happen. i so hope Merrick picks the Hogs.

LRHawg

Anyone know off the top of their head if he's set an announcement time and date?

trashcan maN

Only date is before Jan 5 and announcement will be on Twitter

LRHawg

Hey Super

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 18, 2014, 07:56:02 am
Like many, I've been losing a little bit of hope on Merrick over the past couple of days. I'm not sure if it's the dead period, the fresh FSU predictions on 247 or just a bit of little man syndrome at the realization we're going up against an elite program for a kid in their back yard.

BUT...

After glancing over Richard's Tuesday bits and seeing that Jalen is announcing his decision on Twitter and hearing that Jalen had been following some Razorback fans over the past few days, I decided to take a look at exactly who he's following.

I don't follow any recruits and never tweet them, but I glanced through his following list and he is CLEARLY seeking out people with Razorbacks as their profile picture, people with #WPS or Razorback Fan in their profile.

I scrolled through probably 200 of his list of 2000 following and saw no less than 70-80 blatant Razorback pictures and even more folks with Razorback stuff in their profile. I believe these are people he has followed most recently, as they were at the top of the list.

I did not see one Seminole picture or one 'Noles Fan' in any of those profiles.

I think he has been committed since Pittman visited him in home on the 10th and has been stacking hundreds of Hog followers on Twitter in preparation for his big Twitter announcement ever since, and I don't really feel like I'm going out on a limb in saying that.

You sure know how to raise a hog fans hopes. Hope you're right!!!!  :razorback:
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

SPAL

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 18, 2014, 10:41:05 am
It does not mean much in my opinion. and i have been on twitter for years. i hope you guys are right and he picks the Hogs. but i do not believe who he fallows on twitter will have anything to do with it. it's hard to get kids from Florida that FSU,FL or Miami wants. but we got Collins and Kirkland, so anything can happen. i so hope Merrick picks the Hogs.

So you are on record as saying we will not land him?  I'm shocked. If you pick against us with every recruit, you will have nly be wrong 25/250. That is pretty good. Keep up the good work.

Tusks

As long as FSU doesn't ask his step dad for a refund then I think he picks the hogs.

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 18, 2014, 10:41:05 am
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hawgwild child

I followed him and never tweeted him and he followed me back as well

forrest city joe

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 18, 2014, 11:16:30 am
So you are on record as saying we will not land him?  I'm shocked. If you pick against us with every recruit, you will have nly be wrong 25/250. That is pretty good. Keep up the good work.
No piss fight here in the recruiting forum. move along.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 18, 2014, 10:36:30 am
not being a tweeter...how does this compare to Solly Thomas' most recent followings before he chose Stanford.   Seems i remember reading threads on him in the days before signing day where he started following a bunch of our coaches/players as well

He got followed by a Richard Sherman.

greenie

Quote from: immahog on December 18, 2014, 10:28:48 am
yea but those kids did not follow back they would just tweet WPS an ask for followers ....JM is following hog fans before they follow him plus he is making his choice on twitter  where hog fans will be not at some location in florida where those fans will be ... maybe we are reaching but this is a reach I like

Agree on all points.  I just did think there was much similarity with what was going with Merrick as compared to what went on with Barry Odom...beyond there being a Twitter element. 

I also believe that Merrick is leaning towards us.

The real Hogules

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 18, 2014, 12:00:51 pm
He got followed by a Richard Sherman.

The only Richard Sherman that I know of is a DB for the Seahawks.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ARtillahog

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 18, 2014, 01:15:16 pm
The only Richard Sherman that I know of is a DB for the Seahawks.

Exactly, and he attended Stanford.

trashcan maN

Florida starting OT DJ Humphries declares for NFL draft. Im sure theyre selling his spot hard.

forrest city joe

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 18, 2014, 01:31:25 pm
Florida starting OT DJ Humphries declares for NFL draft. Im sure theyre selling his spot hard.
That's a big selling point for Florida. but remember that we are losing our starting RT.(Brey Cook) so that hob is up for grabs.I think Brian Wallace will win it, but it's open. Jalen could be our swing tackle his first year.

Uncommon

We can sell early playing time as well.  Probably not playing time as a true freshman but a good possibility of being able to start by his redshirt freshman, sophomore, or redshirt sophomore season.

I mean this is all we have returning for 2015 as of right now:

3 Redshirt Seniors
68 Austin Beck
59 Marcus Danenhauer
65 Mitch Smothers

1 Senior
73 Sebastian Tretola

2 Juniors
55 Denver Kirkland
76 Dan Skipper

1 Redshirt Sophomore
54 Reeve Koehler

1 Sophomore
72 Frank Ragnow

1 Redshirt Freshman
60 Brian Wallace

3 Freshmen
Josh Allen
Colton Jackson
Zach Rogers

redeye

Nice work detective!

I've noticed the same thing and it's one of the reasons I didn't understand all the concern around here.  Ironically, someone even posted that he was mostly following FSU fans now.  After hearing your argument, I agree that he sounds likes a silent commit, but let's allow it to play out, without getting our hopes up too high.

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 18, 2014, 10:36:30 am

The main thing with Thomas was that his girlfriend and/or sister attend Arkansas.  Most of the Arkansas people he followed were friends in real life, IIRC.  In hindsight, he tweeted things suggesting he wasn't coming, but I admit that I thought he was.  For example, I think he responded to a WPS tweet from his girlfriend with an emoticon throwing up or something of that nature.

Also, all the national guys were picking Arkansas at the very end and they're currently picking FSU, which is why some are worried.  I don't see any similarities between them at all.

My guess is that Florida's a bigger concern then FSU, but that's just a guess.

jjdlc

Just my humble opinion, but I see this one as a toss up.  I believe Jalen is leaning towards coming here, and his dad wants him at FSU (Why?).  Jalen has played his decision close to his chest, so it's hard to predict who will win out.  Right now, I don't think anyone, not even the recruiting guys on 247 know anything, and I think the new predictions on 247 are simply from people going with best guess, and then a few others following their lead. 

We'll know either way soon.

The_Boot_stops_here

just FYI, RD said on Game On today that he felt good about the Hogs chances with Merrick and Haughton....just passing it along

porkinsons disease

I think he is a silent commit.Just a guess. That could help explain the Barnett situation also.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 18, 2014, 03:09:35 pm
I think he is a silent commit.Just a guess. That could help explain the Barnett situation also.

not sure it has anything to do with Barnett

Oklahawg

Weathersby + Merrick help explain Barnett. Not sure that is the entire story. And, we have no need to pollute another thread with the sad tale of Barnett.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Snowball the Pig

I'm telling you guys, he and Pitt are like brothers

[attachment deleted by admin]

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 18, 2014, 03:59:46 pm
Weathersby + Merrick help explain Barnett. Not sure that is the entire story. And, we have no need to pollute another thread with the sad tale of Barnett.
Agreed. Barnett was very classy through the whole process. My hope/guess is that we got the silent from Merrick and moved on from Barnett.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 18, 2014, 03:59:46 pm

I highly doubt that everyone will just 'move on' in regards to Barnett, at least until after NSD. some will but many won't (including me). Im not sure your expectations are realistic in this case. Its not as simple as 'moving on' with a kid that was as talked about and hyped as Barnett (and not just by message board fans)

Deep Shoat

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 18, 2014, 05:53:01 pm
I highly doubt that everyone will just 'move on' in regards to Barnett, at least until after NSD. some will but many won't (including me). Im not sure your expectations are realistic in this case. Its not as simple as 'moving on' with a kid that was as talked about and hyped as Barnett (and not just by message board fans)
It's as simple as this.  We don't need interior linemen.  We got a shot at some really quality Tackle prospects. We told Barnett we weren't going to be able to give him a scholarship.  GG...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Ray Piggers

He randomly followed me about 2 weeks ago as well. Fingers crossed
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Scott7703

Lots of retweeting Florida things recently. Not sure what to think about our chances.

jry04

His last 2 retweets in the last 24 hours are Florida recruits talking about joining UF.

alwaysnextyear

He's deleted all the recent UA stuff. I've seen this movie before. It doesn't end well.