Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Merrick getting close?

Started by ricepig, December 14, 2014, 05:22:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

@Jalen_Merrick:This probably is going be my last week of high school

Oklahawg

Yippee!

A decision. Might be for the Hogs, might be heading elsewhere. But, it will clear up our recruiting board one way or the other.

I am  very cautious, but optimistic, about this one.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hey Super

I think he ends up a gator. He's been tweeting about them a lot and UF fans have been blowing up his twitter account in desperation because their class is currently a train wreck.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

RBLtoHOG

I remember that awesome feeling of the last day of HS.

almost 10 years later and I want to go back.
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Royal Fortune on December 14, 2014, 05:58:21 pm
I think he ends up a gator. He's been tweeting about them a lot and UF fans have been blowing up his twitter account in desperation because their class is currently a train wreck.
Well, we can't have this, come on twitter guys, do your thing.  :razorback:

If the recruit is seeking tweets and retweets, I say tweet em. If not, leave them alone.

Razinhail

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on December 14, 2014, 06:07:29 pm
Well, we can't have this, come on twitter guys, do your thing.  :razorback:

If the recruit is seeking tweets and retweets, I say tweet em. If not, leave them alone.

I may be missing something, but it seems like hog fans have been all over him for a while on twitter. There may be a few Florida and Florida State fans representing, but it's majority hog fans, not even close.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Razinhail on December 14, 2014, 06:14:22 pm
I may be missing something, but it seems like hog fans have been all over him for a while on twitter. There may be a few Florida and Florida State fans representing, but it's majority hog fans, not even close.
Good to hear.

TMc

I'm still nervous about him.., even though I've read to not be. 

Hawgzinbowlz

We got Kirkland, and I thought he was a longshot. CBB and SP are capable of pulling this off. Cautiously optimistic.

We need JM.

" GO HOGS "

WBC Hog

Anybody else noticed that on his twitter profile it says something along the lines of

"Currently committed to the university of........."

I noticed it either a day or two CBB and Pittman made an in-home visit with him. Makes me wonder if he's a "silent commit"

Hogdomer

Sure does seem that way based on his twitter.  Who knows though.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 14, 2014, 05:24:51 pm
Yippee!

A decision. Might be for the Hogs, might be heading elsewhere. But, it will clear up our recruiting board one way or the other.

I am  very cautious, but optimistic, about this one.

Yep, we will know where we stand, I prefer it that way.

trashcan maN

Quote from: WBC Hog on December 14, 2014, 06:46:37 pm
Anybody else noticed that on his twitter profile it says something along the lines of

I noticed it either a day or two CBB and Pittman made an in-home visit with him. Makes me wonder if he's a "silent commit"
Did it say that before Florida hired their new coach?

redeye

Quote from: Razinhail on December 14, 2014, 06:14:22 pm

Yea, same here.  I don't follow him on Twitter, but have been keeping up with him over the past few weeks.  He doesn't tweet much and doesn't seem to be for followers, but I think he's tweeted more about Arkansas then anyone.  I don't actually feel either good or bad about him, but his tweets at least make me think we have a decent shot of gaining his signature.

redeye

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 14, 2014, 07:47:53 pm
Did it say that before Florida hired their new coach?

I think it did.  It's been that way at  least for several days now.  I think it's been like that for a while, because I remember thinking he'd committed the first time I noticed it, which was probably 2-3 weeks ago.

Uncle SI

Got a really good feeling about Merrick. Can't say I have gout or anything. But let's just say a "good" feeling.   He will be a big haul for our OLine this year.
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

Pig in the Pokey

i'm with you man !
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

RBLtoHOG

I've heard from a personal friend that has "inside" info that we have a VERY good shot at landing him.

Has he set an announcement date?
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

TMc

Quote from: RBLtoHOG on December 14, 2014, 11:36:59 pm
I've heard from a personal friend that has "inside" info that we have a VERY good shot at landing him.

Well.., this is his last week of high school.., so one would think he would announce soon, since he is a mid term enrollee.  I have read Dad wants him at FSU.., and he wants to come here.  I don't have any idea how this plays out.., but it will tough to beat out all those other schools.., and the family too.  I think if his family was on board - he probably would've already committed.

Potosihog

So he is a midterm enrollee, the recruiting dead period starts today and runs into January, but he hasn't decided where he is going?

Big decisions..........

The_Bionic_Pig

1. Arkansas
2. FSU
3. Florida
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

trashcan maN

Our coaches have been developing a personal relationship with him for a long time. Florida has only had a coach for a couple of weeks. They are on the outside looking in. It's Arkansas vs. FSU. It's also Arkansas vs. Stepdad, as it always seems to be.

If we go into Florida and pull a player that Florida State TRULY wants and is still actively recruiting, I'll be beyond impressed.

The_Iceman

So I guess that rules out Auburn.

Tim Harris

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 15, 2014, 08:17:06 am
Our coaches have been developing a personal relationship with him for a long time. Florida has only had a coach for a couple of weeks. They are on the outside looking in. It's Arkansas vs. FSU. It's also Arkansas vs. Stepdad, as it always seems to be.

If we go into Florida and pull a player that Florida State TRULY wants and is still actively recruiting, I'll be beyond impressed.

That depends on who Florida hires for their OL coach.  It is rumored that they are going to keep Summers so Merrick at least has that relationship.

I'm cautiously optimistic about him but like you said it is going to be tough to get a kid out of the state that every school there wants.  It happens but not often.

grayhawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 15, 2014, 08:40:17 am
That depends on who Florida hires for their OL coach.  It is rumored that they are going to keep Summers so Merrick at least has that relationship.

I'm cautiously optimistic about him but like you said it is going to be tough to get a kid out of the state that every school there wants.  It happens but not often.
His tweet after the FSU visit is a little concerning to me.

holeinthewall

QuoteI have read Dad wants him at FSU

You do know his dad went to grad school at Miami which is why he was so high on Miami. He isn't doing OV there becasue he had already been here so many times.

I am not sure anyone has a feel for where this kid ends up.

fullfan

I believe the staff has done all they can to get Merrick's commit.   If he stays in Florida do the Hogs go after another OL in addition to who they have committed?

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: fullfan on December 15, 2014, 09:10:36 am
I believe the staff has done all they can to get Merrick's commit.   If he stays in Florida do the Hogs go after another OL in addition to who they have committed?
I should hope so... we need OL depth.

Wildhog

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 15, 2014, 09:10:31 am
You do know his dad went to grad school at Miami which is why he was so high on Miami. He isn't doing OV there becasue he had already been here so many times.

I am not sure anyone has a feel for where this kid ends up.

His dad wants him to go to FSU.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Bionic_Pig

FSU has a 3rd party assisting them in Recruiting kinda like Kentucky where as (Family members benefit then have input on said recruits decision. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

greenie

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 15, 2014, 10:03:40 am
FSU has a 3rd party assisting them in Recruiting kinda like Kentucky where as (Family members benefit then have input on said recruits decision.

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying that a family member(s) is being "influenced" to help the process in a school's favor...in this case, FSU?  I know this kind of stuff happens, but you seem to know something.

fullfan

Are you saying they use a "Recruiting Service" and said Recruiting Service can provide monetary benefits to anyone that helps them in their business.   Family members and friends of recruits may provide information/influence that assists the "Recruiting Service"
Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2014, 09:14:50 am
His dad wants him to go to FSU.
Will his dad "benefit" from the 3rd party recruiting service if he does?  It would take an uncommon soul to stand up to that kind of pressure and make his own choice.   Amazing how much squeezing and pulling these kids have on them that is compounded when the thought of taking away something from a family member is introduced.

Bubba's Bruisers

So who are the other legit OT options for us?  Howell still a possibility?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GuvHog

Alex Collins' Mother badly wanted him to go to Miami but he's a Hog so you never know...
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dwyane Wade

Probably means nothing, but I tweeted him a Woo Pig and he just followed me

greenie

Quote from: Dwyane Wade on December 16, 2014, 12:12:41 am
Probably means nothing, but I tweeted him a Woo Pig and he just followed me
nice

Dwyane Wade

Let's hope that means he is bound for The Hill

Oklahawg

Fans grow attached to recruits. We think that a particular recruit (a name, set of measurables, and a blessed set of ratings/rankings, and usually nothing more) is a "must get". We are jubilant when we land a commit. We are despondent when we lose a commit.

UA has given Merrick a full-court press. The staff has done everything imaginable to get itself in the top 3! That we stand a reasonable chance of landing him away from the defending national champion located just a few hours down the road is stunning.

I think we get Merrick; I've thought that for a while. But, this is not a slam dunk. I do agree that FSU is the #2 school to worry about.

I am hopeful, and wish Merrick the best - he seems like a great young man. He'd seem even better enrolled in Herb's off-season program in about 4 weeks!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ldfergu

As a parent, how do you push your kid to go to FSU? Seriously.

ldfergu

Also, when can an early enrollee sign a LOI?

JaketheSnake

The coaches would have to know at this point where Merrick is going.  He may not have announced publicly, but several posters think he may be a silent commit here.  If not here, then somewhere since we are in the dead period and he is a January enrollee.

ricepig

According to RD, he'll announce sometime between now and Jan 5th.

jjdlc

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 16, 2014, 10:37:04 am

They still sign their LOI on national signing day, so February 4th I think it is this year.

Yes, this means early enrollee's are enrolled and taking classes before they sign their NLI.  I'm not sure what would happen if they chose to sign an NLI with someone else after they've already enrolled.

jb11

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 16, 2014, 10:37:04 am
Everybody signs in Feb. Even the early enrollees.

hawg1221

Richard Davenport @ArRecruitingGuy  ·  19h 19 hours ago
Arkansas commit @leddy_55 will sign his NLI on Wednesday. He will take part in spring practice.
0 replies 34 retweets 70 favorites
Reply  Retweet34  Favorite70
More

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawg1221 on December 16, 2014, 12:38:42 pm
Richard Davenport @ArRecruitingGuy  ·  19h 19 hours ago
Arkansas commit @leddy_55 will sign his NLI on Wednesday. He will take part in spring practice.
0 replies 34 retweets 70 favorites
Reply  Retweet34  Favorite70
More

Correct. If you can enroll early you participate in an early enrollee signing period. Typically for mid-term JUCO grads but HS players participate as well.

A few years back we had a WR from VA (under Bobby). Graduated early and came to UA then got homesick and left early. Funderburk? Pretty sure his goose was cooked once he set foot on campus.

Have to be a signed member of the team (LOI) to go through enrollment clearinghouse. Have to go through clearinghouse to set foot on campus. Have to be a full-time student (as far as that goes for athletes) to participate with the team.

greenie

Merrick just got a couple of crystal ball predictions to FSU

ldfergu

grayhawg

The only crystal ball pick to Arkansas is by Otis Kirk. Showing us at 4%