Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better go get J. Dancy from Junction City...

Started by MrKlem10, November 29, 2014, 07:31:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

He has eye popping stats and committed to LA Tech. Very cool pic on front page of ADG sports section today BTW.

No idea if he's good enough, but 12 yards a carry is good at any level....

GO

For some reason no and they have seen him play several times while watching Bell. I think LA Tech is his best offer right now from anywhere. Kid can run.

JaketheSnake

The Recruiting Guy

They know about Dancy. Barry Lunney Jr. was at last week's game.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hog1952

Our coach knows what we needs in a running back. Trust our coach.  ;)

jackflash

This kid maybe as good as some people think. But with Williams, Collins, Walker, Mitchell, Day, Evans and Williams at running back. I think their are greater needs else where.

NLRHog92

Quote from: jackflash on December 12, 2014, 11:48:04 pm
This kid maybe as good as some people think. But with Williams, Collins, Walker, Mitchell, Day, Evans and Williams at running back. I think their are greater needs else where.

Walker plays FB, Mitchell I think will progress back to WR. I still think we need 1 more back, and hopefully it's one off the radar that's highly thought of.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 08, 2014, 02:39:03 am
I'd be more concerned with his 100m times in 2014.  Best time there is an 11.6.   Kid is slow for any position that requires speed.  Especially in the SEC.  I doubt we recruit many running back running in the 11s.  Can he play FB or LB?
11.6 is fast if a kid can keep that on a field in pads.  In fact, that is damn fast.  Furthermore, unless he trains for stamina in the 100m dash and it isn't natural for him (too much fast twitch muscle), he may be running the first 50m in world class time and losing ground with every step the last half.  Maybe he had a tight hamstring the entire spring.  All kinds of possibilities.

His coach says he is sub 4.5 and he is the best RB he has coached.  All he does is win and run all over every defense he faces.

Anybody that believes a RB is slow if they can't run a mid 10 second 100m is so out of touch it isn't funny.  I would bet my life saving 2/3 of NFL RB can't run in the 10s on their best day.

kodiakisland

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 13, 2014, 10:27:51 am
11.6 is fast if a kid can keep that on a field in pads.  In fact, that is damn fast.  Furthermore, unless he trains for stamina in the 100m dash and it isn't natural for him (too much fast twitch muscle), he may be running the first 50m in world class time and losing ground with every step the last half.  Maybe he had a tight hamstring the entire spring.  All kinds of possibilities.

His coach says he is sub 4.5 and he is the best RB he has coached.  All he does is win and run all over every defense he faces.

Anybody that believes a RB is slow if they can't run a mid 10 second 100m is so out of touch it isn't funny.  I would bet my life saving 2/3 of NFL RB can't run in the 10s on their best day.

No an 11.6 is not fast.  You can spin it any way you want, but an 11.6 is not fast, at least for a RB.  If we are talking about a 225+lb kid, then OK.  You talk about mid 10s, but there is a huge differnce in running 11 flat verses 11.6.  I wonder if we would even be having this conversation if the kid played in 4A or higher.

The coaches have seen him multiple times.  If they haven't offered it's not because they aren't as smart as you.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hawgfan4life

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 13, 2014, 10:44:30 am
No an 11.6 is not fast.  You can spin it any way you want, but an 11.6 is not fast, at least for a RB.  If we are talking about a 225+lb kid, then OK.  You talk about mid 10s, but there is a huge differnce in running 11 flat verses 11.6.  I wonder if we would even be having this conversation if the kid played in 4A or higher.

The coaches have seen him multiple times.  If they haven't offered it's not because they aren't as smart as you.

If your talking D1 100meter times, you are correct.  Anything out of 10s would be slow.  If your talking RB, it doesn't mean squat whether they are 12 flat or 10 flat unless you are lining up at the end of camp and racing the length of the field.  I watched the kid from Benton win meet of champs with a mid 10 race.  He was behind a kid from 2A by ten meters at half way point and won by ten meters.  The 2A kid won the indoor state championship in 60meter and then he missed the outdoor 100m state record by 1/1000 of a second after slipping on the start according to coaches there at track.  He was blowing all the runners away in the meet of champs first 40 meters and finished middle of the pack in that race.  The moral is football isn't track and RB almost never run more than 40 yards in a game.  First step explosion and ten yard speed much more important than 100m speed.  Then you factor agility or elusibility, strength and power, vision, ability to hold onto the ball, etc., all of which is far more important than 100m time.  I still guarantee you half the NFL RB can't run in the 10s in 100meters.

MrKlem10

15 yard run and a 67 yard punt return in the first half...pretty much bottled up in the first half...

But in the 3rd Q, he is heating up.  Just ripped off a 51 yarder that was spectacular, tight roping the sideline and breaking tackles.

Oh for you haters, they said Baylor is now interested, not just LA Tech.

lefty08

Quote from: MrKlem10 on December 13, 2014, 08:10:48 pm
15 yard run and a 67 yard punt return in the first half...pretty much bottled up in the first half...

But in the 3rd Q, he is heating up.  Just ripped off a 51 yarder that was spectacular, tight roping the sideline and breaking tackles.

Oh for you haters, they said Baylor is now interested, not just LA Tech.

Good for Baylor......who is "hatin"?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

razorback44

Looking at 100m times for a RB is ridiculous. The times they will actually run 100m in a game are slim to none. You get absolutely nothing from those numbers when comparing a 10.6 guy to an 11.6 guy and how it will translate to a football field.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 13, 2014, 06:25:49 pm
If your talking D1 100meter times, you are correct.  Anything out of 10s would be slow.  If your talking RB, it doesn't mean squat whether they are 12 flat or 10 flat unless you are lining up at the end of camp and racing the length of the field.  I watched the kid from Benton win meet of champs with a mid 10 race.  He was behind a kid from 2A by ten meters at half way point and won by ten meters.  The 2A kid won the indoor state championship in 60meter and then he missed the outdoor 100m state record by 1/1000 of a second after slipping on the start according to coaches there at track.  He was blowing all the runners away in the meet of champs first 40 meters and finished middle of the pack in that race.  The moral is football isn't track and RB almost never run more than 40 yards in a game.  First step explosion and ten yard speed much more important than 100m speed.  Then you factor agility or elusibility, strength and power, vision, ability to hold onto the ball, etc., all of which is far more important than 100m time.  I still guarantee you half the NFL RB can't run in the 10s in 100meters.

I want to believe you, but can't.i follow Arkansas HS track and field pretty well I believe. The kid from Benton was Zach Riley correct? And this was 2012? Correct? He also won the indoor 60m that year with a time of 7.01. Now, they do split the indoor meets 5A-7A and 1A-4A. Thw latter was won by a young man from Star City 7.17.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hobhog

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: hobhog on December 14, 2014, 09:23:20 am
Thanks. All I need to know.

Rumor has it that Baylor is asking about him. At least that was in the other thread.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 14, 2014, 05:22:38 am
I want to believe you, but can't.i follow Arkansas HS track and field pretty well I believe. The kid from Benton was Zach Riley correct? And this was 2012? Correct? He also won the indoor 60m that year with a time of 7.01. Now, they do split the indoor meets 5A-7A and 1A-4A. Thw latter was won by a young man from Star City 7.17.
. Correct.  The 2A kid came in 2nd I believe.  Regardless.  My point is it doesn't translate to RB in football and if a kid can run in the 11s, he is usually fast enough for RB.  Most D1 RB do not run consistent sub 4.6 timed forty times and track is generally FAT timed.  Apples and oranges but I enjoy the discussion

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 14, 2014, 09:54:43 am
. Correct.  The 2A kid came in 2nd I believe.  Regardless.  My point is it doesn't translate to RB in football and if a kid can run in the 11s, he is usually fast enough for RB.  Most D1 RB do not run consistent sub 4.6 timed forty times and track is generally FAT timed.  Apples and oranges but I enjoy the discussion

Dylan Yazell was the young man that finished second at 7.19. He also has a a time of 10.91 in the 100m.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ReversePart34

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 07, 2014, 01:00:11 pm
Hermitage has a d1 player on there team... And he is gonna be a good one

Yes he is...hopefully Mauldin and crew will keep him in the weight room to get him ready.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: razorback44 on December 14, 2014, 02:24:23 am
Looking at 100m times for a RB is ridiculous. The times they will actually run 100m in a game are slim to none. You get absolutely nothing from those numbers when comparing a 10.6 guy to an 11.6 guy and how it will translate to a football field.

Fred Talley would like to speak to you when you're finished. ???

#1 STUNNA

hawgfan4life

I loved Fred Talley.  He is proof that body mass is important for taking the punishment.  Very fun player to watch.  Tons of heart.  If I had a chance, I would sign Fret Talley every time without blinking.

lefty08

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 14, 2014, 06:43:13 pm
SMU offered him today

Yep, if he's good enough for SMU he has to be good enough.....nevermind
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hawgfan4life

Watching his highlights and considering what he does against every defense he faces, I hope he gets a chance at AR.  Regardless of where he goes, if he will stay healthy and put in the work, I bet he ends up being a very good college RB.  I like the fact he is a winner, comes from a winning program, and is from AR.  That is worth a lot whether he is never anything more than a role player. 

hawgfan4life

Also watched Brown's highlights.  While Brown's highlights are against better overall competition.  A hole on the field and running out in space is pretty much the same.  Brown appears to be a stockier built kid but appears to lack that extra gear you want to see in a smaller type back.  Comparing the two, Dancy appears to be much quicker, more elusive, and has the knack for exploding through tacklers on contact making them miss the tackle.  Granted, whether he could do that against bigger defenders is a huge question but it isn't a problem if they can't catch him.  Whoever thinks Dancy is too slow is insane.  Brown isn't too slow but his issue is he isn't fast enough for his size.  His size is too small for his speed but he is a good RB.  Probably not a D1 type RB from what I see on film.

seikocanon

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 08, 2014, 04:18:38 pm
I'm not thinking anything.  I'm looking at track times that were posted by someone else in this thread.  Running an 11.6 is not fast even for 2A in Arkansas.  I have no doubt he is quick and better than the 2A competition he is playing against.  All we ever hear is how we need SEC speed.  An 11.6 100m is not SEC speed at RB.  Is he big enough to play FB?

Agree - you got to be below 11 to have breakaway SEC speed.  The girls 100M time for last year was 11.93 in Arkansas.  She is a remarkable athlete but 3 tenths of a second would translate to about a 3 yard difference at the finish line.  I have to believe breakaway speed would be a little faster than that.

Here is a link for comparision

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Track_Field/2014_7A_State_Track_Results.pdf

I do agree that a RB does not have to have that speed but the original poster was touting the 11.6 as being fast.  There are many intangibles that make a person a great running back.

Good luck to him and if the coaches think he is good enough, they will pull the trigger.

#1BOOM

Very talented kid but he's not fast enough to play in the SEC.. Improve on his speed I'm sure he will but coming from a great program had me expecting better times.. Just how much faster will he get is in question?

greenie

Alex Collins was on a 4x100m team in Florida in 2013 that ran a 41.98 second race.  Thats and average of 10.5 seconds per 100m per runner.  I'm guessing that Alex, at a minimum, ran sub-11 seconds for his leg.  Regardless, there's probably not many people on this board who think AC has outstanding speed (good speed, but not outstanding), and yet he likely runs a sub-11 second 100 meters. 

If the 11.6 time on this guy is for real, then speed will not be his forte at the college level.  With the stats I've seen for him and the reports from those who have seen him, its hard for me to believe he runs only an 11.6. 

hawgfan4life

HOLY CRAP!  Football RBs rarely run more than 20 yards in a play.  It matters zilch how fast their 100m time is on a track.  What matters is their 10 yard time on grass, in cleats, wearing pads, combined with their ability to hold to a football when hit, power through arm tackles, read blocks, remember plays, etc.

I have been around athletes that ran in the 12 to high 11s in the 100m dash in track but ran 4.6 forty times.  There are NFL RBs that run the forty in the 4.6s.  There are few RBs at D1 major colleges that run the 40 consistently sub 4.5 on a lazer timer and track times are electronically timed if it is any kind of track meet at all.  Track calls it FAT or Fully Automated Timer.

Now we have someone averaging the times of a relay time.  Do you realize that three of the athletes are getting a running start at the line?  How fast can 40 yard time be if athletes start at 45 yards and we only time them the last 40 yards?  Same difference.  The entire race covers the full distance, but the handoff zone allows a running start.  Makes the average time much different than if all four started from a gun and finished at a line like a 100m dash.

Track and football is completely two different animals.  You guys looking at 100m times are being silly.  There are tons of kids out there that can run 4.4 fortys and not crack a 11 second 100m dash because they burn out around 60 yards and peter out because of phsiological reasons that the common person calls, "A monkey jumping on their back."

An incredibly fast 100m dash does NOT mean an incredibly explosive start and 40 time which is much more important for a RB.

The Dancy kid might have issues keeping the big schools away, they might be concerned about his size, but I can guarantee you his speed and ability to run with the football are not a concern at all.  He is bigtime in both of those areas.  If you can't see that watching his HUDL highlight video, then I don't know what else to tell you other than stick with track.

philobeddoe

He's the best running back I've seen at JC, and I've seen almost every game since the early 80's. He's good enough to play AND contribute significantly for our beloved Hogs.

That's all I have to say about that.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: philobeddoe on December 17, 2014, 07:55:59 pm
He's the best running back I've seen at JC, and I've seen almost every game since the early 80's. He's good enough to play AND contribute significantly for our beloved Hogs.

That's all I have to say about that.
I have seen JC play a few times and they are always impressive.  I have no clue why he does not have big school offers.  He could be a risk for a variety of reasons.  Just watching film, I can say 100% he is not a risk at all for his speed and ability to run the football.  He is a big-time talent with speed and running ability.  Only a non-football person would think otherwise watching his highlights and his record.  The only visible question I see on film is his size.  He looks awfully skinny on video and his frame may not be able to add a lot of muscle onto it and him still keep his speed and agility.  An everydown TB for an offense at AR might be a mismatch. 

If he is not a high risk for anything other than size, I hope he gets a shot if he wants one.  I'm a sucker for pulling for underdogs.  Regardless if he goes to AR, he will be a quality player somewhere if he stays healthy and puts in the effort.

Peter Porker

Film can be deceptive. You look a lot bigger and faster running through and away from 2A teams than 7A.

RazorPiggie

I think I'll trust the Head Coach thats had 10-1000+ yard rushers since 2006 (and another RB 4 yards shy of 1000) rather than a bunch of "experts" on Hogville. If we offer then cool, he'll more than likely redshirt and wait for his turn. If we don't then cool, we'll be perfectly fine. With CBB here I will NEVER worry about the RB position.

philobeddoe

I am speaking of his "on field talents" ONLY. I honestly have no idea about his character or grades. The kid is thick and looks very capable of carrying more weight, without sacrificing speed. HOWEVER, as others have said, CBB definitely knows running backs, and I'm sure he and his assistants are on top of this. All I'm saying is that I BELIEVE that this kid has the physical tools to positively contribute to our beloved Hogs running game.

pigroots

Quote from: lefty08 on December 14, 2014, 07:09:19 pm
Yep, if he's good enough for SMU he has to be good enough.....nevermind
I have no idea whether the guy can play or can't play but if Baylor is interested( they have arguably the best offense in the country) and SMU has offered(Chad Morriss is the new coach and great hire for SMU...recognized by most as an offensive guru)..then I hope we take a good long look before we pass on him. That said 11.6 is slow for a running back. Wonder what his 40 is?

hawgfan4life

I am not touting him over Coach BB's judgment.  If he believes he isn't what they want, I am behind that 100%.  However, from what I see, I know it won't be because of speed and running ability.  People on this board do not know my qualifications and I am not going to list them, but I know what I am looking at when I look at a football player.  What I have said and to clarify for where it was open to speculation, is that I hope the kid gets the chance.  What I mean is I hope that the coaches find that he does meet the standard they are looking for and the take him as a preferred walk-on or as a scholarship athlete. 

Lastly, 11.6 has nothing to do with a RB's 40 time and ability to be a good RB.  Yes a real fast 100m time is an indicator of good speed.  If you find a 210 lb RB that can run a sub 11 second 40, you should look at him strongly.  However, that still does not guarantee he is explosive on his first couple steps.  All you people that keep looking at 100m times are being ignorant.  I can tell you flat out I have personally witnessed players run 4.3 and 4.4 forty times and not be able to crack a sub-11 second 100m time with a wind at their back.  Why not look at 200m times?  It would be just about as useful.  Anybody that watches elite level track knows the 200m is an all out sprint for 200m.  Might as well use the 400m too.  It is all but an all out sprint.  At what point does it not be a factor?

People make such an issue about 40 times.  It is great to have a RB that has the 4.3 forty but does it automatically make them a great RB?  There are a lot of great RBs that run in the 4.6s. 

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 19, 2014, 10:19:30 am
I am not touting him over Coach BB's judgment.  If he believes he isn't what they want, I am behind that 100%.  However, from what I see, I know it won't be because of speed and running ability.  People on this board do not know my qualifications and I am not going to list them, but I know what I am looking at when I look at a football player.  What I have said and to clarify for where it was open to speculation, is that I hope the kid gets the chance.  What I mean is I hope that the coaches find that he does meet the standard they are looking for and the take him as a preferred walk-on or as a scholarship athlete. 

Lastly, 11.6 has nothing to do with a RB's 40 time and ability to be a good RB.  Yes a real fast 100m time is an indicator of good speed.  If you find a 210 lb RB that can run a sub 11 second 40, you should look at him strongly.  However, that still does not guarantee he is explosive on his first couple steps.  All you people that keep looking at 100m times are being ignorant.  I can tell you flat out I have personally witnessed players run 4.3 and 4.4 forty times and not be able to crack a sub-11 second 100m time with a wind at their back.  Why not look at 200m times?  It would be just about as useful.  Anybody that watches elite level track knows the 200m is an all out sprint for 200m.  Might as well use the 400m too.  It is all but an all out sprint.  At what point does it not be a factor?

People make such an issue about 40 times.  It is great to have a RB that has the 4.3 forty but does it automatically make them a great RB?  There are a lot of great RBs that run in the 4.6s. 

Not arguing with you, but I think the general concensus is that, if we take another back, we're looking for a pure speed guy.  That's where the pushback's coming from.  So your 4.6 argument doesn't really fly. 

hawgfan4life

I didn't say he is a 4.6 guy either.  Just because the kid ran a 11.6 time as a JR in the 100m means little about whether he has big time speed.  Track and football are NOT the same sport.  A fast 100m time does NOT mean a kid is a burner in pads on the football field.  Think of football and track like horseracing.  If you want a fast horse for a short distance, you want a quarterhorse.  If you want a fast horse for a long distance, you want a thoroughbred horse.  If you try to judge which is the best quarterhorse by which one runs the mile and a half the best, your an idiot.

Runningbacks may or may not have great 100m times.  A good or bad 100m time does NOT mean a kid is a speedster or a plodder necessarily within certain parameters.  If the 100m time is 13 seconds.  He is probably a plodder.  If the 100m time is 10.5 seconds, he is probably a speedster.  Anything in the 11s doesn't tell you either.  As I said earlier,  I have personally seen athletes run 4.3 and 4.4 forty times and they couldn't crack a sub 11 second 100m time on their best day.  RB is about quickness and power more than it is about pure speed.  Even for the pure speed guy you refer to.  A pure speed guy with an awesome 100m time might be a slow starter and be useless as a RB.  A slow 100m time guy might be at full speed in two steps and be able to cut on a dime and be a heisman candidate as a RB and be considered a speed back.  Two completely different things.

I don't know any other way to discribe it for those who are too stupid or too caught up in what they think is right.  Everybody has an opinion and a right to have a wrong one.  I may be an idiot about many things and I post some pretty idiotic things on this board occasionally just to mess with people.  However, I am right on this one.  Readers can side with me or be wrong.  Doesn't matter to me.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 19, 2014, 04:11:58 pm
I didn't say he is a 4.6 guy either.  Just because the kid ran a 11.6 time as a JR in the 100m means little about whether he has big time speed.  Track and football are NOT the same sport.  A fast 100m time does NOT mean a kid is a burner in pads on the football field.  Think of football and track like horseracing.  If you want a fast horse for a short distance, you want a quarterhorse.  If you want a fast horse for a long distance, you want a thoroughbred horse.  If you try to judge which is the best quarterhorse by which one runs the mile and a half the best, your an idiot.

Runningbacks may or may not have great 100m times.  A good or bad 100m time does NOT mean a kid is a speedster or a plodder necessarily within certain parameters.  If the 100m time is 13 seconds.  He is probably a plodder.  If the 100m time is 10.5 seconds, he is probably a speedster.  Anything in the 11s doesn't tell you either.  As I said earlier,  I have personally seen athletes run 4.3 and 4.4 forty times and they couldn't crack a sub 11 second 100m time on their best day.  RB is about quickness and power more than it is about pure speed.  Even for the pure speed guy you refer to.  A pure speed guy with an awesome 100m time might be a slow starter and be useless as a RB.  A slow 100m time guy might be at full speed in two steps and be able to cut on a dime and be a heisman candidate as a RB and be considered a speed back.  Two completely different things.

I don't know any other way to discribe it for those who are too stupid or too caught up in what they think is right.  Everybody has an opinion and a right to have a wrong one.  I may be an idiot about many things and I post some pretty idiotic things on this board occasionally just to mess with people.  However, I am right on this one.  Readers can side with me or be wrong.  Doesn't matter to me.

Of course, I'll have to ask the HV usual, you coach where in college?

hawgfan4life

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 04:29:09 pm
Of course, I'll have to ask the HV usual, you coach where in college?

Nice.  Go ask some big time coaches which is more important between quickness and power or great 100m times.  Ask them if a 100m team in the mid 11s proves a RB is too slow to be an effective RB.  I already know the answer but it sounds like you need to hear it from an authority.  I could tell you my background and experience but it wouldn't mean much to most.  However, I can tell you I have been around track and athletics long enough to know that I am right about a 11.6 time in the 100m doesn't mean a RB is too slow.  It could be an indicator but it doesn't mean it is a sure thing.  Kind of like cloudy weather is an indicator it might rain but it doesn't always mean it is going to rain.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 19, 2014, 04:38:22 pm
Nice.  Go ask some big time coaches which is more important between quickness and power or great 100m times.  Ask them if a 100m team in the mid 11s proves a RB is too slow to be an effective RB.  I already know the answer but it sounds like you need to hear it from an authority.  I could tell you my background and experience but it wouldn't mean much to most.  However, I can tell you I have been around track and athletics long enough to know that I am right about a 11.6 time in the 100m doesn't mean a RB is too slow.  It could be an indicator but it doesn't mean it is a sure thing.  Kind of like cloudy weather is an indicator it might rain but it doesn't always mean it is going to rain.

Well, big time coaches haven't been flocking. I don't know either way, it's not my call. I saw a sophomore RB, Jr now, that wasn't chased down, but ran a 12.0 in a track meet and he's committed to OM and a 4*. He was also lazy and I guess didn't want to run track.

greenie

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 19, 2014, 04:38:22 pm

Take a deep breath.  The entire discussion about his 11.6 100m time was started by one of his advocates who reported the time and said this was fast.  This clearly is not a fast time for most SEC RBs, however, this kid may be fast (just didn't show it in this race), quick, smart, strong, elusive, Heisman worthy ...  but 11.6 is not fast for the 100m.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 04:46:02 pm
Well, big time coaches haven't been flocking. I don't know either way, it's not my call. I saw a sophomore RB, Jr now, that wasn't chased down, but ran a 12.0 in a track meet and he's committed to OM and a 4*. He was also lazy and I guess didn't want to run track.

That kid was way out of shape. Ran faster as a 9th grader.

hawgfan4life

I'm an idiot to keep posting.  Why can it not sink in the whole point is the 100m time is a non indicator.  It is not fast enough to say he is a fast RB in a 20 yard sprint which is what is actually important.  It is not slow enough to say he is too slow in a 20 yard run which is actually important.  100m times are not very strong indicators of how good of a RB a kid will be.  I would wager the long jump is as good an indicator as a 100m dash because it combines both speed, power, and athleticism to transfer the jump into distance.  It doesn't prove yes or no either.  100 meter time is not a determining factor.  Watch the kid on film.  He is fast.  He is blowing by players that have the angle on him that are moving pretty well themselves.  Forget the 100m time.  I bet the top RB for AL can not run a 11.6  right now.  I bet JWill can't run a11.6 right now.  Most the sprinters in the entire state in all classifications can't run consistent 11.6.  Although it is irrelevant, 11.6 isn't as slow as people think.  Track speed yes!  Overall speed it isn't too bad if the runner was out of gas at 60m and ran a slow last 40.  Watch the kid run on film.  He is flying.

redswarmrising

some of y'all seem to forget the way our coaches recruit.if the kid doesn't have the right attitude,work ethic,grades,or if he does fit in the type of offense/defense the coaches run,he's not gonna get an offer

greenie

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 19, 2014, 11:15:00 pm
I'm an idiot to keep posting.  Why can it not sink in the whole point is the 100m time is a non indicator.  It is not fast enough to say he is a fast RB in a 20 yard sprint which is what is actually important.  It is not slow enough to say he is too slow in a 20 yard run which is actually important.  100m times are not very strong indicators of how good of a RB a kid will be.  I would wager the long jump is as good an indicator as a 100m dash because it combines both speed, power, and athleticism to transfer the jump into distance.  It doesn't prove yes or no either.  100 meter time is not a determining factor.  Watch the kid on film.  He is fast.  He is blowing by players that have the angle on him that are moving pretty well themselves.  Forget the 100m time.  I bet the top RB for AL can not run a 11.6  right now.  I bet JWill can't run a11.6 right now.  Most the sprinters in the entire state in all classifications can't run consistent 11.6.  Although it is irrelevant, 11.6 isn't as slow as people think.  Track speed yes!  Overall speed it isn't too bad if the runner was out of gas at 60m and ran a slow last 40.  Watch the kid run on film.  He is flying.

Ok, so I wasted way too much watching my wife wrap Christmas presents and searching around regarding the subject of high school 100m times for recent SEC RBs.  I absolutely concede that 11.6 is not that bad.  I found plenty of times in that area in state finals...mostly in lower classifications, but certainly in that range.  However, I did find these numbers for some current SEC RBs (and a few others)...and please understand, I'm not doing this to argue or prove/disprove anything.  I'm just posting it here because I thought it was interesting.  I understand it is not a direct indicator to how good a football player will be at the next level. 

Recent RBs (mostly SEC)
Corey Grant 10.48 (Auburn RB)
Henry Josie 10.97 (Mizzou RB)
Kirk Merritt 10.68  (TAMU RB)
Kendall Bussey 10.95 (Tenn RB)
Derrius Guice 10.98 (LSU RB)
Nick Chubb 10.79 (Georgia RB)
Sony Michel 11.12 (Georga RB)
Ameer Abdullah  11.29 (Nebraska RB)
Tyreek Hill 10.44 (Ok State RB)
Altee Tenpenny 10.94 (Alabama RB)
Korliss Marshall 10.90 (??)

These are just guys that I noticed while skimming through.  I did look for AC and JWill and found nothing.

Sources
http://arkansasstatechampionships.runnerspace.com/
http://floridastatechampionships.runnerspace.com/
http://alabamastatechampionships.runnerspace.com/
http://texasstatechampionships.runnerspace.com/
http://louisianastatechampionships.runnerspace.com/
http://georgiastatechampionships.runnerspace.com/

RedRock

We need a scat back ala Fred talley to compliment RW

Peter Porker