Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better go get J. Dancy from Junction City...

Started by MrKlem10, November 29, 2014, 07:31:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

According to the college track scholorship guide for track and field, to get a college scholarship as a 100 meter sprinter, your time needs to be in the range of 10.5 to 11.0 for D1 and it progressively gets slower down to lower levels like NCAA DIII being 11.0 to 11.4 times.  I am not arguing fast sub 11 times are not indicators of speed.  It is an indicator of speed.  It is not an indicator of being a good football RB.  Likewise a mid 11 time is an indicator of speed.  If anybody thinks that is an indicator of a kid being slow, they don't understand football or track very well.  Again, you must consider an athlete running a mid 11 time might have ran a blistering first half of the race and can't maintain due to endurance issues.

If your wanting a D1 sprinter for 100m dash, you probably want to focus on mid 10 times. If you want a D1 RB, you probably check out any football player that runs a mid 10 because that is a clear indicator of speed.  However, you still equally consider 40 times because they transfer to football much more than 100m dash.  To a recruiter of RB, I guarantee you they love a sub 11 time but they aren't scared off of a 11.5 time if the athlete is running a 4.5 forty.

Forget track times and focus on 40 yard speed, explosiveness or power, and agility.  Those are far greater indicators.

I have no idea if Dancy is D1 material at the SEC level.  From what I see on video, the program he is in, and his performance record, I believe he could at a minimum be a role player for AR and maybe be a little more in time. If they can sign better, they should.  Personally, I love he is from AR, from an elite program, and he is fun to watch.  If the kid wants a chance at AR, I hope he meets their standard and gets the chance.  I fully support their evaluation process.

Should he not meet the standard and not get an offer, it won't be because he is a slow RB as was stated and it will have nothing to do with 100m times he ran in track.

ReversePart34

Well I think he's a really good player, but the problem I see is that he doesn't have elite speed for his size. Looking at him, and I haven't looked up his size,  I'm guessing he's around 5"10"-5"11, 170-180 lbs. The only position I could see him projecting as SEC-wise would be at corner, and SEC corners have to have elite speed. Some of those sub-11 times like Chubb were ran by 220 lb running backs. I wouldn't want to see him trying to chase those guys down from the defensive backfield because he just wouldn't be able to do it. I may be wrong but I think that's probably why Arkansas, LSU, etc is not interested. Nothing against the kid at all, because I think he may have the ability to make up for lack of blazing speed by just being a great football player with great instincts. I'm just saying from what I see it's not surprising that the Hogs are not offering. Sometimes it's just more about how they project than what they do in high school. I just can't see BB putting a scholly out there for a RB that's not built to tote the ball 20-25 times a game if need be.

ReversePart34

Just looked it up and Talley ran a 10.43 in high school.

ReversePart34

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 19, 2014, 11:15:00 pm
I'm an idiot to keep posting.  Why can it not sink in the whole point is the 100m time is a non indicator.  It is not fast enough to say he is a fast RB in a 20 yard sprint which is what is actually important.  It is not slow enough to say he is too slow in a 20 yard run which is actually important.  100m times are not very strong indicators of how good of a RB a kid will be.  I would wager the long jump is as good an indicator as a 100m dash because it combines both speed, power, and athleticism to transfer the jump into distance.  It doesn't prove yes or no either.  100 meter time is not a determining factor.  Watch the kid on film.  He is fast.  He is blowing by players that have the angle on him that are moving pretty well themselves.  Forget the 100m time.  I bet the top RB for AL can not run a 11.6  right now.  I bet JWill can't run a11.6 right now.  Most the sprinters in the entire state in all classifications can't run consistent 11.6.  Although it is irrelevant, 11.6 isn't as slow as people think.  Track speed yes!  Overall speed it isn't too bad if the runner was out of gas at 60m and ran a slow last 40.  Watch the kid run on film.  He is flying.

I see your point but I think you are failing to take his size into account. He's around 175 lbs, so at that size I believe that his speed does raise a red flag as far as SEC RB is concerned. I can't think of one undersized running back that has had success in the SEC that wasn't an elite sprinter. Jeff Demps, Fred Talley, O. McCalleb, all were world class sprinters. Talley ran sub 10.5, so did Demps. I'm pretty sure McCalleb did too. IMO it has been shown in the past that for an undersized back to have success in the SEC they have to have blazing speed.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 20, 2014, 12:36:13 pm
According to the college track scholorship guide for track and field, to get a college scholarship as a 100 meter sprinter, your time needs to be in the range of 10.5 to 11.0 for D1 and it progressively gets slower down to lower levels like NCAA DIII being 11.0 to 11.4 times.  I am not arguing fast sub 11 times are not indicators of speed.  It is an indicator of speed.  It is not an indicator of being a good football RB.  Likewise a mid 11 time is an indicator of speed.  If anybody thinks that is an indicator of a kid being slow, they don't understand football or track very well.  Again, you must consider an athlete running a mid 11 time might have ran a blistering first half of the race and can't maintain due to endurance issues.

If your wanting a D1 sprinter for 100m dash, you probably want to focus on mid 10 times. If you want a D1 RB, you probably check out any football player that runs a mid 10 because that is a clear indicator of speed.  However, you still equally consider 40 times because they transfer to football much more than 100m dash.  To a recruiter of RB, I guarantee you they love a sub 11 time but they aren't scared off of a 11.5 time if the athlete is running a 4.5 forty.

Forget track times and focus on 40 yard speed, explosiveness or power, and agility.  Those are far greater indicators.

I have no idea if Dancy is D1 material at the SEC level.  From what I see on video, the program he is in, and his performance record, I believe he could at a minimum be a role player for AR and maybe be a little more in time. If they can sign better, they should.  Personally, I love he is from AR, from an elite program, and he is fun to watch.  If the kid wants a chance at AR, I hope he meets their standard and gets the chance.  I fully support their evaluation process.

Should he not meet the standard and not get an offer, it won't be because he is a slow RB as was stated and it will have nothing to do with 100m times he ran in track.

Why do you think Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and other big-time area coaches have looked over him? No doubt they know who he is because they've all recruited his teammate. What could be the reason you see?

I've watched tons of track meets and I know fast. Now, I know there are several factors that play into times. Last year my son was down in Hot Springs running the 100m. I was excited because he would be racing the kids from Texarkana who have been putting up great times. He ran an 11.46 and finished 7th in his heat (last heat), 14th overall. Not a terrible time, but nothing to get excited over. His blocks literally slipped from underneath him causing him to have an obviously horrible start. Of course, it doesn't say by his time anything about the block slipping.

Another race in Conway he ran an 11.55. Pretty pedestrian. He finished 4th overall. The problem is that heat was ran into a 10 mph headwind. The boy was snakebit all season last year.

With that said, I know fast. 11.6 is not fast. 2 years ago I watched Tenpenny at 50 lbs heavier than Dancy run a sub 11 second 100m. You could see his explosive athleticism right there on the track and in order to run a sub 11, yone has to be explosive throughout the race.

Now, I suppose you could cover 40 yards quickly and run an 11.6. I don't think you could run a 4.3 for the first forty of a 100m race and slow down to an 11.6 though.

My son, who coaches said had the best start they've seen in high school, did run a legit 4.4 forty. His issue was horrible technique during the lift phase. He didn't trust his technique, so instead of running with a beautiful stride,he chopped his feet. I could show you film after film of him leading races, only to be walked down at the end by better sprinters. His best time last year was an 11.2. He expected to and should have ran a sub 11. There are lots of factors why he did not. He will beat himself up over the ones he had control over (practice habits).

I say all that to say I see your point. He could be explosive and then have horrible technique, or headwind issues or running surface issues, etc.

I also see the other side as well. 11.6 usually means, "not explosive".

One thing you have to take into account. Junction City plays in a small classification. Dancy is a D1 runningback playing against guys that, 99% of them, won't be playing college football on any level. A D1 athlete versus that looks a lot better than a D1 athlete versus 7A competition. All one has to do is compare Dancy film vs DJ Brown film.
Both are committed to lower level D1 schools. Both are listed with similar size, weight, and speed. Where Dancy just flat-out dominates, Brown doesn't nearly as much. Is it because Brown isn't fast? Of course not. It's an amazing difference when every member of a 7A defense is a few steps (at least) faster than that of a 2A defense.

Dancy will gey his education paid for and could better his life because of that. That's something we all can celebrate.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

#1 STUNNA

Not sure if he has the speed or not to play... But he was the fastest player on the field when they played smackover who has a kid the runs a 4.3 with an offer from the hogs.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 21, 2014, 08:47:41 am
Not sure if he has the speed or not to play... But he was the fastest player on the field when they played smackover who has a kid the runs a 4.3 with an offer from the hogs.

Why, did they run a 100m sprint?

hawgfan4life

All great points.  I have said the one thing I see that might be a concern is his size.  If the kid has camped at big schools, they will offer if they liked him.  If he didn't camp there, they will be hesitant with him being from a small school but it doesn't mean they won't offer. 

I agree 100m times are great indicators but they are not the final factor that determines ability.  You say 4.3 like that is common.  4.3 is elite.  There are lots of sprinters running 4.4-4.5 forty times the first half of a sprint and finishing in the mid 11s at the end of the races.  Finishing in the 10s is not a sign of explosiveness but is a sign of strength and endurance.  The only sign of explosion in the race is how quick out of the blocks and time to cover about 20 yards.

Lastly, watch his highlights.  The kid has excellent ability to go from start to full speed and he is outrunning kids with angle on him that appear to be running pretty well themselves.  I don't care what his 100m time was in track last year nor do I care he is in 2A football.  I have eyes.  The film is not making information up about what he can do.  Speed and vision are big time.  Agility or cutting ability (hips) are excellent.  Ability to power through arm tackles is great at 2A level but that is a question for college because of his size and competition.  Work ethic, heart, disposition, etc. not able to see on film.  That is what recruiters have to learn.

For anybody that knows, did he camp at any D1 schools last summer?

ReversePart34

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 21, 2014, 04:04:56 pm
All great points.  I have said the one thing I see that might be a concern is his size.  If the kid has camped at big schools, they will offer if they liked him.  If he didn't camp there, they will be hesitant with him being from a small school but it doesn't mean they won't offer. 

I agree 100m times are great indicators but they are not the final factor that determines ability.  You say 4.3 like that is common.  4.3 is elite.  There are lots of sprinters running 4.4-4.5 forty times the first half of a sprint and finishing in the mid 11s at the end of the races.  Finishing in the 10s is not a sign of explosiveness but is a sign of strength and endurance.  The only sign of explosion in the race is how quick out of the blocks and time to cover about 20 yards.

Lastly, watch his highlights.  The kid has excellent ability to go from start to full speed and he is outrunning kids with angle on him that appear to be running pretty well themselves.  I don't care what his 100m time was in track last year nor do I care he is in 2A football.  I have eyes.  The film is not making information up about what he can do.  Speed and vision are big time.  Agility or cutting ability (hips) are excellent.  Ability to power through arm tackles is great at 2A level but that is a question for college because of his size and competition.  Work ethic, heart, disposition, etc. not able to see on film.  That is what recruiters have to learn.

For anybody that knows, did he camp at any D1 schools last summer?

I did see on 247 or somewhere that he went to the Razorback camp last summer.

hawgfan4life

If he went to their camp, that will play huge in their decision.

Again, it amazes me the misconceptions out there concerning speed to play and how fast players run.  It seems, some believe every RB is running 4.4 or faster 40 times.  I just looked at last years nfl combine forty times for RB.  There are 33 players listed that ran.  13 did not run under 6 seconds and only 14 ran sub 4.5 second forty times.  Remember that the elite nfl candidates are invited.  They do not invite those they think are marginal. 

LSU had three RB at combine.  Names are Alfred Blue, j.C. Copeland, and Jeremy Hill.  Forty times respectively are 4.93, 4.63, and 4.63.  You can go back and look at combine results and see similar results. 

Lastly, I am not debating AR should or shouldn't offer.  I hope they find him worthy and offer but I trust their choice.  I am saying it won't be decided against due to his speed alone.  When considering speed, his 100m time will not be a factor.  Coach says he is a 4.5 kid.  Colleges usually add speed making him a sub 4.5 forty college RB.  Witnesses that watched him play higher classification schools and against elite talents like the WR from Smackover say he is faster.

Regardless, he is an outstanding RB and high school football is losing a great player.  Good luck to the kid regardless what happens.

ricepig

How much did the LSU guys weigh? I think everyone is saying, that maybe he is not as fast as some would like for a change of pace back, in contrast with the other RB's.

#1 STUNNA

If he was commited to Arkansas everyone would watch his highlights and talk about how fast he is.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 22, 2014, 01:47:25 pm
If he was commited to Arkansas everyone would watch his highlights and talk about how fast he is.

Which is human nature.....

hawgfan4life

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2014, 11:45:22 am
How much did the LSU guys weigh? I think everyone is saying, that maybe he is not as fast as some would like for a change of pace back, in contrast with the other RB's.

You are like my wife.  You are now telling me what was said and I can't see it said that way anywhere.  One post alludes to speed and size combination.  I have said a few times size might be an issue.  Speed is not.  If he ran with exact same style and speed at 220 lbs as he does on film, he would be a five star recruit.

kodiakisland

Been gone for a week and can't believe this discussion is still going on.  OK, I can, but still.  If he doesn't have an offer, there is a reason.  The major D1 programs near him are not all stupid.  He may be an absolute stud for 2A ball, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be an SEC stud.  I'm guessing some posters here are too close to the situation to see it objectively.

No one here is saying he needs track speed to be a great running back.  Very few do.  I watched Trindon Holliday run a 10.0 in Fayetteville.  He had track speed.  I remember Florida having a player with track speed a few years ago but can't recall his name.  I don't recall a lot of other FB players with track speed.  I don't consider mid 11s track speed even for 2A highschool.

If this kid was 225+lbs, I don't think the speed would be an issue.  He doesn't look anywhere near that weight though.  Either we want SEC speed or we don't care about it.  Which is it?

There is a reason why he is not being recruited by any major schools.  We are just speculating it is speed but may be something else altogether.  I hope he has a great career where ever he goes, gets a college degree and is successful in life.  I hope nothing but the best for him regardless of his football abilities.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 22, 2014, 03:03:19 pm
You are like my wife.  You are now telling me what was said and I can't see it said that way anywhere.  One post alludes to speed and size combination.  I have said a few times size might be an issue.  Speed is not.  If he ran with exact same style and speed at 220 lbs as he does on film, he would be a five star recruit.

Well, if you've read this forum for months, they(posters) have been wanting a speed back, he doesn't fit that.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2014, 04:15:26 pm
Well, if you've read this forum for months, they(posters) have been wanting a speed back, he doesn't fit that.
Silly me.  I did not know general posts in the forum override individual threads and posts.  What a DA I am.  Posters have said he is too slow because he isn't running a fast enough 100m time.  Posters keep referring to fast 100m times and overall speed.  I am saying he is fast enough and that isn't the holdup on offers.

Every team in the country always wants a back with elite speed and size like Chubb from GA.  If that is what posters think we are holding out for, good luck with that thought. 

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 23, 2014, 01:26:30 pm
Silly me.  I did not know general posts in the forum override individual threads and posts.  What a DA I am.  Posters have said he is too slow because he isn't running a fast enough 100m time.  Posters keep referring to fast 100m times and overall speed.  I am saying he is fast enough and that isn't the holdup on offers.

Every team in the country always wants a back with elite speed and size like Chubb from GA.  If that is what posters think we are holding out for, good luck with that thought. 

Well, if you go back and read the first page of this thread, there are as many saying he is fast, as those saying his 100M time is slow. I didn't continue on, as you know this thread as well as anyone. Do I need to post them again for you? He doesn't have an offer, and there's obviously a reason for it, correct? And I'm not just talking about us, no significant others have either.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: ricepig on December 23, 2014, 01:56:27 pm
Well, if you go back and read the first page of this thread, there are as many saying he is fast, as those saying his 100M time is slow. I didn't continue on, as you know this thread as well as anyone. Do I need to post them again for you? He doesn't have an offer, and there's obviously a reason for it, correct? And I'm not just talking about us, no significant others have either.
Yes.  Please do post the ones other than mine that are saying speed is not the reason he has no offers.  While you are quoting, find the one I argued he should have an offer.  All I have argued is, he is not too slow to get an offer and I hope that AR deems him worthy and he gets an offer if he wants one.  Lots of players get last minute offers.  The RB that just departed and was soooooo fast had how many D1 offers?