Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Whitt commits to Arkansas

Started by HawgAdvocate, June 02, 2014, 10:32:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

June 02, 2014, 10:32:27 am Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:00:57 pm by HawgAdvocate
There's a new Scout article (Evan Daniels) on Whitt's success he's had this spring, as well as an update to his recruiting situation. Whitt says he plans to begin narrowing his list of schools to five to eight following the July evaluation periods. He'll then make a decision before his senior season begins.

He mentioned new interest from Kansas, UNC, and Indiana, but says he talks mostly with K-State, Mizzou, Arkansas, Colorado, Wake Forest, Illinois, & SMU.

He doesn't mention anything of interest about any of the other schools, aside from two paragraphs discussing his thoughts on meeting Mizzou's new coaching staff.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1407820-whitt-having-big-spring?s=75

Evan Daniels then added a special article about Whitt entering UNC's radar. UNC assistant Steve Robinson saw him for the first time at the Jayhawk Invitational. UNC then contacted Whitt to find out where he'd be playing in July so they could get Roy and the other coaches involved with watching him play.

UNC has next to nothing at SG in the coming years. They will almost certainly offer at some point it appears. Despite Whitt having heavy family ties to the state of Indiana, the Hoosiers' backcourt looks to be pretty solid the next few years, thus I'd be surprised if they end up being a factor. KU is KU...always a threat though they have more appealing options than Whitt right now.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1407815-whitt-enters-unc-radar?s=75

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

tusksincolorado

I'm getting old...but is there not a rule about Premium Site postings on Hogville???   ::)
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: tusksincolorado on June 02, 2014, 10:54:17 am
I'm getting old...but is there not a rule about Premium Site postings on Hogville???   ::)

I didn't copy and paste anything. Basic summaries are fine. The only real relevant info is his time-table on a decision and reaffirming which schools he's involved with currently....snitch.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

tusksincolorado

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 02, 2014, 10:58:46 am
I didn't copy and paste anything. Basic summaries are fine. The only real relevant info is his time-table on a decision and reaffirming which schools he's involved with currently....snitch.

But to get the information I had too join a Premium Site....Snitch? Really?....Don't get your Gurly Panties in such a wad.

The_Iceman

Nothing will make HA happier than to see Mike Anderson miss on Whitt.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 02, 2014, 11:13:28 am

Hor$ecrap. Typical Jump Ball garbage, shoot the messenger. Throw in a Youtube video, you'll feel better.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: tusksincolorado on June 02, 2014, 11:05:08 am
But to get the information I had too join a Premium Site....Snitch? Really?....Don't get your Gurly Panties in such a wad.
From my understanding, nothing that the OP did was illegal.  You are paying that "premium" site in order to be the first to know, to read the full article, and to have direct access to the guys writing it.  Crying about someone posting a quick summary and a link is silly.

Ironhawg

I don't know about the rest of Hogville, but it would be very troubling to me if MA misses on Whitt and ends up settling for a lesser option.  I want MA to succeed at Arkansas for a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, I love Arkansas basketball and I want to see the Razorbacks fighting it out for a spot at the top of the SEC again.  Second, I like Mike Anderson.  He seems to me to be a truly nice guy who is intent on giving Arkansas success and giving the players success not just on the court, but off the court too. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Hawgvillain on June 02, 2014, 11:28:23 am
From my understanding, nothing that the OP did was illegal.  You are paying that "premium" site in order to be the first to know, to read the full article, and to have direct access to the guys writing it.  Crying about someone posting a quick summary and a link is silly.

I was asking a QUESTION....DEAR GAWD some men on here need to go to the store and buy some friggin' TAMPAX and MIDOL!

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

The Boar War

Quote from: tusksincolorado on June 02, 2014, 12:01:15 pm
I was asking a QUESTION....DEAR GAWD some men on here need to go to the store and buy some friggin' TAMPAX and MIDOL!

Seems like you've received your answer.

Hogberry Snortcake

Nothing earth shattering but good to know.  We'll talk again in July it seems.

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HawgAdvocate

^^^^^ The latest incarnation of Jamie90210/Hambone ^^^^^

How many different Hogville accounts does one person need?

Pork Twain

Direct quoting is completely different than a summary using their info as a source.  Everyone that has ever written a decent paper knows that.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 02, 2014, 08:05:28 pm
^^^^^ The latest incarnation of Jamie90210/Hambone ^^^^^

How many different Hogville accounts does one person need?

You're hambone

HawgAdvocate

The usual juvenile foolishness aside, there is a **free** article with an update on Whitt that came out today from Phenom Hoops.

He claims that "right now I am just going through the process, no schools are really sticking out right now," but he's staying busy with various prep events. He reportedly has 19 scholarship offers he's currently considering. He's a popular recruit right now.

http://phenomhoopreport.com/phenom-hoops-catches-jimmy-whitt/

forrest city joe

BINGO! +1000.

RazorPiggie

Hopefully we land Whitt. If not then I'll be extremely upset that we didn't get any of the top 3 we were after @ a position of need.

Hawg Red

Curious to know how Porkatarian feels about our chances currently. Seemed pretty confident before Whitt started blowing up.

It will be interesting to see how many tunes change about losing KeVaughn Allen hurting if we lose out on Whitt.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 11:28:31 am
Curious to know how Porkatarian feels about our chances currently. Seemed pretty confident before Whitt started blowing up.

It will be interesting to see how many tunes change about losing KeVaughn Allen hurting if we lose out on Whitt.

KeVaughn Allen hurts regardless of what happens.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 03, 2014, 11:37:06 am

What I tried to tell people....

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 11:54:27 am
What I tried to tell people....

Hurt is hurt, can't worry about it now.

TomBigBeeHog

He's not the only one. Posters will cut loose with all kinds of evidence of the failures of the staff. It won't matter that we can still in win without those specific players.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

mbgrulz

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 03, 2014, 11:37:06 am
I don't agree...the chances of us getting 2 high-major guys at the same position to come in here the same year is very slim IYAM...Getting Allen would have likely pushed Whitt elsewhere, and vice versa.

The ENTIRE thing hinges on us getting Whitt, or flipping Allen. If you whiff on both, then its a problem...ON PAPER.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 03, 2014, 01:25:10 pm
I don't agree...the chances of us getting 2 high-major guys at the same position to come in here the same year is very slim IYAM...Getting Allen would have likely pushed Whitt elsewhere, and vice versa.

The ENTIRE thing hinges on us getting Whitt, or flipping Allen. If you whiff on both, then its a problem...ON PAPER.

Its a problem period. We aren't getting anyone better.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 12:01:19 pm
Hurt is hurt, can't worry about it now.

There is no worrying at all, then. That's your logic? What happens, happens. No point in worrying about anything at all.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 03, 2014, 01:25:10 pm

I fail to see where "on paper" doesn't translate to "on the court" in that situation.

Allen and Whitt are both combo guards. This means you can play them together, so I disagree with you that one would have pushed the other away.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 01:42:25 pm
There is no worrying at all, then. That's your logic? What happens, happens. No point in worrying about anything at all.

How does it help by worrying? If worrying mattered, we would never lose a game.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 02:08:33 pm
How does it help by worrying? If worrying mattered, we would never lose a game.

Does not worrying help?

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 02:13:26 pm
Does not worrying help?

Sure, you should try it every once in a while.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 02:19:56 pm
Sure, you should try it every once in a while.

Doesn't help fix recruiting issues, is my point. But you know that. And I know you just don't want people bringing up how damaging it is to lose in-state talent like Allen. But this is....wait for it.....a message board about Razorback athletics. Everyone here cares and worries about the Hogs. Very few people's health is at risk because of it.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 02:34:00 pm
Doesn't help fix recruiting issues, is my point. But you know that. And I know you just don't want people bringing up how damaging it is to lose in-state talent like Allen. But this is....wait for it.....a message board about Razorback athletics. Everyone here cares and worries about the Hogs. Very few people's health is at risk because of it.

Well, keep up the good work and see if it improves recruiting.

TomBigBeeHog

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 03:55:10 pm
Well, keep up the good work and see if it improves recruiting.

Not my job to improve recruiting. There's a well-paid coaching staff for that. It's my function as a message board poster to talk about it, though. Just a hunch, but I think that's what Lanny or whoever created this "Recruiting Forum" was going for.

ricepig

June 03, 2014, 04:45:22 pm #35 Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:56:38 pm by ricepig
Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 04:36:55 pm
Not my job to improve recruiting. There's a well-paid coaching staff for that. It's my function as a message board poster to talk about it, though. Just a hunch, but I think that's what Lanny or whoever created this "Recruiting Forum" was going for.

Yeah, pretty sure they had you in mind when they started this forum. So, if we don't sign Whitt or Allen, is recruiting over in your mind?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 04:45:22 pm
Yeah, pretty sure they had you in mind when they started this forum. So, if we don't sign Whitt or Allen, ie recruiting over in your mind?

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 04:45:22 pm
Yeah, pretty sure they had you in mind when they started this forum.

Don't be dense. Of course they had me (meaning...me, you and every other Razorback fan interested in recruiting) in mind. You're better than that.

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 04:45:22 pmSo, if we don't sign Whitt or Allen, is recruiting over in your mind?

Nope, but our chances are bringing the requisite talent needed to compete at the national level in the backcourt are for the 2015 class. Jimmy Whitt is pretty much our last shot to get a Top 50-100 player to replace Madden. Our efforts to improve will be greatly damaged.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 05:02:01 pm

Nope, but our chances are bringing the requisite talent needed to compete at the national level in the backcourt are for the 2015 class. Jimmy Whitt is pretty much our last shot to get a Top 50-100 player to replace Madden. Our efforts to improve will be greatly damaged.

Was Madden a Top 50-100 player, has he played like one? Now, I think Ky has improved greatly last year, and I think the incoming PG's will help improve his game by relieving him from having to be the main PG.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 05:06:57 pm
Was Madden a Top 50-100 player, has he played like one? Now, I think Ky has improved greatly last year, and I think the incoming PG's will help improve his game by relieving him from having to be the main PG.

Madden was Top 40 player out of HS and I thought he was deserving of All-SEC honors this year. So, the answer to your question would be - yes.

Rivals - #32
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Ky-Madden-86821

ESPN - #36
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/63711/ky-madden

Scout - #36
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3767689

.....but, even if Madden wasn't a Top 50-100 player, shouldn't that be the expectation level for recruiting at this point anyway? Especially when we're talking about an in-state kid and a kid from Columbia, MO with strong ties to the staff.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 05:14:03 pm
Madden was Top 40 player out of HS and I thought he was deserving of All-SEC honors this year. So, the answer to your question would be - yes.

Rivals - #32
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Ky-Madden-86821

ESPN - #36
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/63711/ky-madden

Scout - #36
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3767689

.....but, even if Madden wasn't a Top 50-100 player, shouldn't that be the expectation level for recruiting at this point anyway? Especially when we're talking about an in-state kid and a kid from Columbia, MO with strong ties to the staff.

I don't think we have the staff to consistently recruit top 50-100 players, and until we are in the tournament yearly, that won't change. Which goes back to the chicken or the egg?

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 05:28:58 pm
I don't think we have the staff to consistently recruit top 50-100 players, and until we are in the tournament yearly, that won't change. Which goes back to the chicken or the egg?

Truly good coaches find ways to win with what they have. Mike Anderson has a McDonald's All-American and several top 100 players on his roster. There are coaches with less talent doing more, no? It can be done (winning).

But I do agree that we don't have the staff to recruit nationally the way we should be. Still, I was told by several posters that losing KeVaughn wouldn't be damaging. And a number of those posters were fairly confident we'd make up for it with Whitt. That's why I said I'd like to hear some of these opinions right now because he seems pretty wide open and is drawing interest daily.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 05:41:39 pm
Truly good coaches find ways to win with what they have. Mike Anderson has a McDonald's All-American and several top 100 players on his roster. There are coaches with less talent doing more, no? It can be done (winning).

But I do agree that we don't have the staff to recruit nationally the way we should be. Still, I was told by several posters that losing KeVaughn wouldn't be damaging. And a number of those posters were fairly confident we'd make up for it with Whitt. That's why I said I'd like to hear some of these opinions right now because he seems pretty wide open and is drawing interest daily.

I was one of those, if Allen didn't want to play for Arkansas or Anderson, then there isn't much one could do about it. If we don't get Whitt or a similar talented player, then it will be worry time.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 05:41:39 pm

I was one of those guys, and I'll admit I'm not feeling as confident about Whitt as I was, he stock is really rising and he's picking up major interest now.  It'll be interesting to see if the Watkins/Whitt family relationship will be enough to land him.  I really like Whitt's game and think he'd be perfect for our system, I'd be lying if I told you if we didn't get him I wouldn't be really really disappointed.

With that said I still hold to my stance of losing Kevaughn Allen isn't going to be as "damaging" as some make it out to be.  Does it hurt to lose an in-state recruit, yea but Kevaughn isn't a Bobby Portis or Malik Monk type of player that can completely turn your program around, and a once in every 10-15 year type of player that comes from Arkansas.  I'm not trying to downplay losing a nationally ranked in-state recruit, losing any recruit, especially to conference rivals hurt but the way Arkansas has been producing guards lately.... Goodwin, Beard, Allen, Monk, Moore we'll have more opportunities to get quality guards in-state.  And looking at our roster going into 15-16 we're not really hurting for guards, I'd like to see us get a quality guard, but I'm more concerned with us trying to retain the guys we already have like Portis and Qualls, that's much bigger than getting any recruit currently on the board for 15-16 IMO.  If we can bring both of them back, we can add just 2 role player "system" type players to fill out the 15-16 recruiting class and be in good shape.

What's going to be damaging to the program is if we don't perform well this season.  This season is by far the most important season we've had in a long time, so much is on the line.  We have a bad season this year and miss the tourney it's almost certain Portis will go ahead and enter the draft, and we would have wasted a MD AA.  And I'm sure we all can agree MAs seat would be getting a little warm as well, and that can hurt our chances with Monk, De'Ron Davis, De'Shaun Williams etc.  all these guys the staff has been working on for '16 class. 

mhuff

June 03, 2014, 08:44:03 pm #44 Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:51:31 pm by mhuff
Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 05:02:01 pm
Don't be dense. Of course they had me (meaning...me, you and every other Razorback fan interested in recruiting) in mind. You're better than that.

hdturner

I don't like our chances with Whitt now. He has more successful program than Arkansas after him now. We badly need to make Sweet 16 run next year to attract top recruits

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2014, 02:07:10 pm
I fail to see where "on paper" doesn't translate to "on the court" in that situation.

Allen and Whitt are both combo guards. This means you can play them together, so I disagree with you that one would have pushed the other away.
You answered the first part on your own in your post at 5:41....On paper it doesn't look good, but I wouldn't say that its impossible to put together a roster that CMA could win with. I think some of us forget that recruiting is a good indicator of future success, but not the end all be all.

It would be a real stretch for anyone to say that we could honestly have gotten both of those scoring guards. I understand that we could maybe sell them on Whitt at the 1 and Allen at the 2. We could also sell them on the fact that CMA's system doesn't have to have a true PG, and so on but honestly it was always get 1 of the 3 of McClure, Allen, or Whitt.

For the record, I'd take Whitt over Allen, but its really close.

Also, I would like to see a staff upgrade. I think its time for it. Would be nice if one of the 3 would move on so CMA didn't have to fire on of his guys tho.

mbgrulz

Quote from: hdturner on June 03, 2014, 08:57:36 pm
I don't like our chances with Whitt now. He has more successful program than Arkansas after him now. We badly need to make Sweet 16 run next year to attract top recruits
I definitely agree that we need to make a deep run ASAP to prove that we are for real, but Whitt will likely already be signed by the time our season plays out. Early signing is in November.

rzrbackramsfan

I think as far as taking over madden, maybe bell could do it along with babb? So more than we need the next guy to be as good as Whitt or madden or a top 100 recruit, we just need them to, by the time they're ready, be able to do what is needed of them.  That is where the recruiting talk gets difficult. Apparently hawg red knows the answers to everything though, so hang on to his every last word.

Oklahawg

UA was one serviceable off-guard or point guard (so Madden could be OG?) away from the tournament this year.  They only had to be better than...Gulley? Kikko? Scott? That bar is not excessively high.

Score a bid, win a game...voila, recruiting gets easier.

That said, this staff doesn't appear optimized for recruiting. Likely need someone to land a mid-major HC gig next off-season so we can upgrade. Lots of loyalty and I respect that. But, we need an ace recruiter.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra