Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2006 Football Season

Started by Albert Einswine, January 02, 2007, 12:32:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

To me at least,  this season has come to be defined by the 4 losses rather than the 10 wins.

Losing the last 3 in a row to finish the season isn't shocking to me,  given our head coach.

Three straight losses.  Does anyone even remember the last win?

Your thoughts if you care to share,  Hogville.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RazorRaider

I am going out on a limb here but I think our last win was Miss St. Man there is a football powerhouse right there. Let me tell ya. :puke:
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

pigmania

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 02, 2007, 12:32:22 pm
To me at least,  this season has come to be defined by the 4 losses rather than the 10 wins.

Losing the last 3 in a row to finish the season isn't shocking to me,  given our head coach.

Actual win or a moral victory?

mike7156

At the first of the season you could see where this team was headed. You could see the influence that Gus had on the offense. The excitement in the offense. The defense was lacking a little, but that didn't matter because you were going to have to score allot of points to beat us. Then the more we won the more you could see HDN slipping into the offense. Becoming more Conservative. Sure there was still some of Gus there but not like there should have been. The offense became one dimensional. And the new toy that HDN found (the wild cat ) got run into the ground. There is a serious lack of willingness to adjust the offense to the defense by HDN.

The keys to beating Arkansas this year. Put four receivers on the field. Look and see who #4 and #20 are covering and throw the ball to them. If you don't catch it, that's OK because they will get a flag for holding. run the ball as little as possible but enough to keep the line backers honest,they are to good to just turn loose. quick slants so you don't have to worry about the D-Ends using their speed rush. On D you play technique position football stay in your lanes rushing, play the outside thirds of the field on passing plays and up the middle on run and most of the time ( about 80-85%) you will have played it right. If Gus is calling the play at the time all bets are off. thats the other 15-20%
True Heroes wear the uniform that serves this country proudly.

hoginator

in '98 we went into a tailspin.
in '06 we went into a tailspin.

Man, I'm dizzy...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

RazorRaider

Quote from: hoginator on January 02, 2007, 01:12:34 pm
in '98 we went into a tailspin.
in '06 we went into a tailspin.

Man, I'm dizzy...

What about '03?
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: RazorRaider on January 02, 2007, 01:23:33 pm
What about '03?

In '03 we went into an "October tailspin".   I know it's only semantics,  but I thought I would differentiate it from the standard Nutt "end of season/Bowl Game" tailspin.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

spudhog

usc loss doesnt get to me. its those last 3 that tick me off. bad taste in the ole mouth. can only be washed out with another 10 win season next year.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: spudhog on January 02, 2007, 03:00:38 pm
usc loss doesnt get to me. its those last 3 that tick me off. bad taste in the ole mouth. can only be washed out with another 10 win season next year.

Rather than just a season with some stated number of wins as the goal,  I'd like to see a season where at it's conclusion,  we're not being jabbed at or ridiculed by the sports print journalists and TV and radio talking heads.

PAHog

Looking back on the year I will remember two big wins against Auburn on the road and TN at home with Gameday.  I will also recall getting are a$$e$ handed to us by USC, and the fact that we finished 0-3 losing to 3 good, not great teams, that we should have beaten.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: RazorRaider on January 02, 2007, 12:33:54 pm
I am going out on a limb here but I think our last win was Miss St. Man there is a football powerhouse right there. Let me tell ya. :puke:

It was not a very convincing win either.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

hognelson

I am with ya.  LSU, Florida and Wisconsin is a tough pill to swallow.  Bad taste in mouth.  Your post though has made me think back about our great wins this year and have brought at least a small smile to my face. 

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hognelson on January 02, 2007, 03:28:10 pm
I am with ya.  LSU, Florida and Wisconsin is a tough pill to swallow.  Bad taste in mouth.  Your post though has made me think back about our great wins this year and have brought at least a small smile to my face. 

I know,  I think about beating Auburn and Tennessee and it makes me happy,  then I think about the 3 straight losses to end the season and it makes those wins bittersweet.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: PAHog on January 02, 2007, 03:20:35 pm
Looking back on the year I will remember two big wins against Auburn on the road and TN at home with Gameday.  I will also recall getting are a$$e$ handed to us by USC, and the fact that we finished 0-3 losing to 3 good, not great teams, that we should have beaten.

The high water mark of the season, to me, was the win over Tennessee and the whole gameday atmosphere.  Six weeks later, HDN's program was being openly laughed at by the commentators calling the bowl game.  Now that is a roller coaster ride!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

gatecrasher

Quote from: spudhog on January 02, 2007, 03:00:38 pm
To me, the bad taste gets washed out with nothing less than an outright SEC championship...
NOTHING LESS!!!
We've had our "breakthrough season," despite the 3 straight losses to end the season...it's now time to go to the next level, which means the SEC title and a BCS berth at the very least. 
A 10-win season without a title will be meaningless.  It won't do.  There's too much talent coming back, especially in the running game.  There will be no excuses as far as ONE of the quarterbacks (preferably Mustain) grabbing the starting job in the spring, and no excuses for the receiving corps.
We also need a kicker.  Special teams were a liability the last three games.

It's schitt or get off the pot for HDN in 2007. 
SEC championship, or the season is a failure.  Who doesn't agree??

bigyellowdog

Forget about 0 for October.  It is now:

0 for December
0 for January

hognelson

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on January 02, 2007, 05:04:05 pm
To me, the bad taste gets washed out with nothing less than an outright SEC championship...
NOTHING LESS!!!
We've had our "breakthrough season," despite the 3 straight losses to end the season...it's now time to go to the next level, which means the SEC title and a BCS berth at the very least. 
A 10-win season without a title will be meaningless.  It won't do.  There's too much talent coming back, especially in the running game.  There will be no excuses as far as ONE of the quarterbacks (preferably Mustain) grabbing the starting job in the spring, and no excuses for the receiving corps.
We also need a kicker.  Special teams were a liability the last three games.

It's schitt or get off the pot for HDN in 2007. 
SEC championship, or the season is a failure.  Who doesn't agree??

Apparently Broyles doesn't agree with you.