Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last years UGA game

Started by Arazorbackguy1, May 16, 2015, 03:44:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

a game no one wants to remember or talk about.  Why did we get whipped so badly?  Was it due to the lack of mental toughness after the 1 point loss to Bama the week prior?  Was it the difference in talent? 

The game was never really in doubt and one most of us wrote off and forgot.  However, either something happened at halftime of that game that changed the rest of the season or UGA was the toughest opponent we faced all year and we just came up well short against superior talent. 

What say you?
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

GoHogs1091

Tracy Rocker happened, that is what happened.

It doesn't matter how big your Offensive Line is, or how good a OL is perceived to be, the Offensive Linemen better bring their lunch pal when facing a Tracy Rocker coached Defensive Line.

BatesvilleHOG

Georgia fielded a damn good defense last year. Our offense couldn't get going in the first half because they were getting a lot of pressure on BA. You are very right about one thing, from half time of that game to the end of the season we were definitely a completely different team.

luke hawg

If I remember fumbles and unnecessary penalties didn't help

rtr

Quote from: luke hawg on May 16, 2015, 04:29:06 pm
That was the biggest thing. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 16, 2015, 04:00:56 pm
Tracy Rocker happened, that is what happened.

It doesn't matter how big your Offensive Line is, or how good a OL is perceived to be, the Offensive Linemen better bring their lunch pal when facing a Tracy Rocker coached Defensive Line.

You sure it wasn't Brent Venables?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: luke hawg on May 16, 2015, 04:29:06 pm
Somewhere between 17 and 24 points given up by our offense was too much to overcome against a very good football team

racinghog

WarPig88

Too athletic on both sides of the ball that day.

Fumbles or not, they did whatever they wanted to that day from big plays to long drives.

It happens.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on May 16, 2015, 06:01:32 pm
You sure it wasn't Brent Venables?

Lol.  He sure does love him some Brent. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bennyl08

We were definitely off that game with several unforced errors. However, their team was very good, just inconsistent last year and that day their team was clicking. We would have last game no matter how we played, but our own struggles led to the larger score difference, IMO.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LA Football fan

No, Jim Chaney happened.  We take the opening drive and just ram it down that throat.  Don't think we threw a single pass or if we did it wasn't but 1-2 max.  Never a doubt about us dominating their d-line.  They score and try an onside kick and we are sitting pretty on their side of the fifty.  What does Chaney do?  3 straight incomplete passes and then punt and our defense is right back out on the field.  They score again and then Chaney keeps going with the passing game and we start turning the ball over in our own territory and their d-line starts teeing off expecting pass.  A couple of quick scores later and the game is pretty much toast at that point.

Keep pounding the ball and we would have been very much in that game the second half.   Just let momentum get away from us and then we uncharacteristically starting making mistake after mistake.  Like others said, I also think playing them right after Bama put us at a distinct disadvantage in team morale.  We gave everything we had in that Bama game and we just weren't at that level against Georgia plain and simple.   That and their wideout just ate up our outside corner all game long.  He was WIDE open anytime they needed to make a play to keep a drive going.   Just the price you pay for playing in the SEC.  Sometimes you catch teams at the right time and sometimes they catch you at the right time.  Hopefully we have improved enough on both sides of the ball that we can pull out games where our motivation level is flat this coming year.

Albert Einswine

The fact of the matter is UGA has been a tough matchup for us forever. They're always big and extremely physical. Hopefully Bret can get us competitive in future games with them.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hoggish1

Turnovers and player ejection.

Hoggish1

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 16, 2015, 07:33:22 pm
We were definitely off that game with several unforced errors. However, their team was very good, just inconsistent last year and that day their team was clicking. We would have last game no matter how we played, but our own struggles led to the larger score difference, IMO.

Don't forget—that was an away game for us.  UGA was home before we were...

southhog

Sed76

Georgia was just a lot better than most people gave them credit for.

ZERO

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 16, 2015, 07:43:19 pm
The fact of the matter is UGA has been a tough matchup for us forever. They're always big and extremely physical. Hopefully Bret can get us competitive in future games with them.

This is a little unrelated, but speaking of tough match-ups for us, we have never beaten Florida while we've been in the SEC. Granted, we don't play them super often, but they're coming to town in '16, and I'm hoping BB can land us our first ever win against them.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Josh Goforth

First drive of the game Georgia played all base defense sat back in coverage. On subsequent drives after that they turned the dcoordinator free calling multiple blitz and stunts up front. The quickness of their dline caused all kinds of problems. Then on with the Arkansas defense Georgia took advantage of taller more physical wrs against smaller dbs.

Steef

Quote from: racinghog on May 16, 2015, 07:18:22 pm
Bama hangover.

This.

First half = hangover. And we dug ourselves a hole we couldn't quite climb out of.

Second half = we sure tried, though. We outscored them  (I think it was ) 27-6 in the second half.

Which means they weren't able to dominate us, when we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

Turnovers cost us that game.

Turnovers cost us the Bama game and MSU game. Mental mistakes cost us the TAMU game.

The only games we got "beat"...were Auburn (depth) and Mizzoo (really...depth again).

I'm VERY proud of the Georgia game. Our guys didn't ever give up. After two years of losing and being laughed at?

That second half may be the best Hog football I've ever seen. Certainly the best since the 78 Orange Bowl.

idochog

Early in the year there were people playing that didn't get much time later in the year. Improvements were made from that game on for sure
I love Jesus!

HOGINTENNESSEE

May 17, 2015, 09:18:38 am #21 Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:48:44 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Pretty much a combo of what everyone else said.

UGA was pretty good. Especially their Defense
Unforced Errors By Alex Collins and BA
It was probably our worse defensive performance under Robb Smith as we could not stop Nick Chubbs

Choctaw Hog

May 17, 2015, 09:22:50 am #22 Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:35:47 am by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on May 16, 2015, 03:44:34 pm
a game no one wants to remember or talk about.  Why did we get whipped so badly?  Was it due to the lack of mental toughness after the 1 point loss to Bama the week prior?  Was it the difference in talent? 

The game was never really in doubt and one most of us wrote off and forgot.  However, either something happened at halftime of that game that changed the rest of the season or UGA was the toughest opponent we faced all year and we just came up well short against superior talent. 

What say you?

It's called the scheduling effect.  Prior to playing Arkansas Georgia had two, very easy games beating Vandy 44-17 and Missouri 34-0 while Arkansas had two very hard and difficult games losing to A & M in overtime and to Bama by 1 in a very physical game.

Even thought Georgia jumped to a big lead the Hogs made a run in the second half and never quit.  Even though Georgia comfortably, I think the consensus from the Bulldogs was that it was still a physical game.  You might want to note that the following Week Georgia lost to Florida by 18.

That sort of thing happens in the SEC and that's what sets the SEC apart from all other conferences.  Take a look over the last several years at the schedule and results and I think you will find a strong correlation in what I call the "scheduling effect".   

jkstock04

How many turnovers and turnovers for touchdowns did we have in that game? More than I wish to remember. That's what happened...our offense was horrible and got absolutely dominated in the first half and Georgia was able to easily coast to a victory....no doubt Chaneys genius plan and play calling were probably awful too.

The overwhelming predictions On this board, radio shows, and buzz around town that we would throttle Georgia in a mismatch the entire week leading up to that game has got to be top 10 biggest fails I've ever seen as a Hog fan.  Majority of everyone not only were confident we would win, but that it would be in blowout fashion. The narrative was that Georgia wasn't a physical enough team to handle us...and they played in the weak SEC east.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

14erHog

They scored more points is what happened. 
We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer.
Zakk Wylde

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BadHog

War Memorial Stadium happened.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

HogMantheIntruder

Personally, I think UGA was one of, if not the best team in the country last season when they were clicking.  We caught them on one of those days, and it just happened to be right after we played Bama.  That alone is going to be a tough game (almost) regardless of the opponent, and I don't think that people realize how much of a factor that really is.  I forget what the actual stat is, and I'm too lazy to look for it right now, but most of the time teams lose the week after playing Bama.  Here's the good news- we have a bye after Bama this season :D
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: steefhog on May 17, 2015, 02:22:20 am
That second half may be the best Hog football I've ever seen. Certainly the best since the 78 Orange Bowl.
Seriously??? Do you just catch a game once every couple of seasons or something?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

King Kong

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 17, 2015, 09:18:38 am
Pretty much a combo of what everyone else said.

UGA was pretty good. Especially their Defense
Unforced Errors By Alex Collins and BA
It was probably our worse defensive performance under Robb Smith as we could not stop Nick Chubbs

Pretty much

arkfan81

May 17, 2015, 09:57:29 pm #30 Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:03:24 pm by arkfan81
Quote from: steefhog on May 17, 2015, 02:22:20 am
This.

First half = hangover. And we dug ourselves a hole we couldn't quite climb out of.

Second half = we sure tried, though. We outscored them  (I think it was ) 27-6 in the second half.

Which means they weren't able to dominate us, when we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

Turnovers cost us that game.

Turnovers cost us the Bama game and MSU game. Mental mistakes cost us the TAMU game.

The only games we got "beat"...were Auburn (depth) and Mizzoo (really...depth again).

I'm VERY proud of the Georgia game. Our guys didn't ever give up. After two years of losing and being laughed at?

This.

For those who thought UGA's defense was stellar maybe they should watched how Florida ran thru them. What we should have kept doing.

Have faith...

Steef

Quote from: arkfan81 on May 17, 2015, 09:57:29 pm
Wait, if Uga's defense was so good. What happened with the Florida game?

I didn't say anything about GA's defense.

arkfan81

Quote from: steefhog on May 17, 2015, 10:14:55 pm
I didn't say anything about GA's defense.

Oh I know, I just copied your post. I agreed with what your were saying. My post was more general. I'll fix it
Have faith...