Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What a Difference a Year Makes

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 16, 2015, 06:27:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Athlon Pre-Spring article from 2014. You can see some of the questions they posed here, and how they were answered. Check out the entire article. There is more there than just this quote, below.

"2014 Early Projected Win Range: 3-5 Arkansas should be able to run the football on offense again in 2014 with seven starters returning, including one of the best backfields in the SEC. But this coaching staff doesn't really know what it has at either quarterback or wide receiver and is replacing its top offensive lineman."

"Finding balance on offense will be crucial because it doesn't appear that the defense will be all that improved. Only four starters are back and the star power is gone (Smith, Bennett). Even the schedule is nasty for Bielema, as things get started with road trips to Auburn and Texas Tech in the first three weeks. Three wins in the non-conference would be a great step and an upset (or two) at home against an SEC power — Alabama, Georgia, LSU or Ole Miss — will be mandatory if the Razorbacks are going to be bowling at season's end."

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/arkansas-razorbacks-2014-spring-football-preview
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

"Finding balance on offense will be crucial because it doesn't appear that the defense will be all that improved. Only four starters are back and the star power is gone (Smith, Bennett)."

We can all see that this prognostication didn't turn out to be accurate but in all fairness, who knew the impact that Robb Smith would have on our defense? We lost Smith and Bennett, 3 others step up last year. This year we lost those 3, who will step up this coming season?

Just goes to show that about 50% or less of these pre-season predictions are accurate.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2015, 07:34:50 am
"Finding balance on offense will be crucial because it doesn't appear that the defense will be all that improved. Only four starters are back and the star power is gone (Smith, Bennett)."

We can all see that this prognostication didn't turn out to be accurate but in all fairness, who knew the impact that Robb Smith would have on our defense? We lost Smith and Bennett, 3 others step up last year. This year we lost those 3, who will step up this coming season?

Just goes to show that about 50% or less of these pre-season predictions are accurate.

The job that Robb Smith did with the defense last year was as about as impressive of a one-year turnaround as any I can remember.  Our back seven went from being tentative and standing around watching...to aggressive form tackling and doing a much better job of playing the ball in the air.

And I was howling louder than anyone else when he was hired......"OMG, another generic hire - who the hell is Robb Smith?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2015, 07:45:38 am
The job that Robb Smith did with the defense last year was as about as impressive of a one-year turnaround as any I can remember.  Our back seven went from being tentative and standing around watching...to aggressive form tackling and doing a much better job of playing the ball in the air.

And I was howling louder than anyone else when he was hired......"OMG, another generic hire - who the hell is Robb Smith?"

We are about to find out what he can do when it has less to do with a quick fix and what seemed to be something magical, to development and experience. The Staff sounds confident. I'll be ecstatic if the defense is as good from the first game of the coming season, as they were in the last game of last season. Better would be great, but I would take a repeat of last years second half of the season performance.

Then the onus will be on Enos to create situations on offense where we can be more successful in all phases. I can't wait for August.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tusked on May 16, 2015, 08:01:57 am
Robb Smith is a fricken genius.

He certainly seemed to be the first year out of the chute. This year he gets the chance to solidify that opinion of himself among fans. I hope he does so to the "nth" power.
Go Hogs Go!

McKdaddy

Agreed
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Laughing Hog

^^^ This ^^^ totally agree. I also was one of the 'who the hell is this guy' people.

I was shocked when I started seeing our secondary actually turning around and looking for the ball on pass plays - it was a thing of beauty!
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Theolesnort

Who the hell is Rob Smith? Isn't he the guy that made our offense look bad when we played Rutgers? We should have been paying attention to that detail when Rutgers Al was telling us on here what was going to happen. Just throw this in.... he did it with talent that wasn't even close to ours too. As Bielema and company recruit better and better talent to the defense just expect better and better results. Well as long as we can keep him because he is headed for a good head coaching job somewhere like Bob Stoops got.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Theolesnort

Let me add this, more than likely Smith will not be with us very much longer because the rest of the football world will wise up. Smith has a very good system and we should have the wisest and smartest grad assistants understudying him and absorbing this system while retaining what we have and adding to it as we go along in the future. just saying
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on May 16, 2015, 09:57:10 am
Let me add this, more than likely Smith will not be with us very much longer because the rest of the football world will wise up. Smith has a very good system and we should have the wisest and smartest grad assistants understudying him and absorbing this system while retaining what we have and adding to it as we go along in the future. just saying

Not just grad assistant's. I am sure the other full time Assistant's on staff are paying close attention and studying his philosophy. Those guys may be the likely "heirs apparent" when and if he moves on.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

[/quote]
They obviously thought the offense would be better last year, much better than the defense.  I'm still wondering about last year's offense.  Did they underperform or were the expectations too high?

Hawgzinbowlz

Our defense is ahead of where we were, at this time of the Spring of '14.
Having UTEP, Toledo and TT to start the season, Coach Smith will have time to find out about our player rotation and chemistry by the time we roll into 'Jerry's World'.
Watching the Spring practices and the R&W made it clear we are going to be salty this year, on defense.
Our offense was working on timing along the OL and with the play execution (integrating CDE system changes), and as is the case with most offenses the defense was ahead of the offense during the Spring. After Frank is integrated into the OL and Kirkland/Skipper adjust to their position changes our offense should end up better than '14. With another year under their belt BA, the receivers and the OL should be dialed in for A&M...I'll go out on a limb here and say we are 3-0 when we get to AT&T in Arlington. Our offense should be better than '14, and this is not taking into consideration any newcomers...I didn't mention our two 1,000 yard rushers returning, and Coach Enos.
Last year we hoped for a turnaround, and some SEC wins. This year we expect success, and will be rewarded with enough wins to call it progress.
Some of last years close losses should be wins in '15...and what a difference a year makes.

" WOO PIG "

Styflin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2015, 10:10:08 am
Not just grad assistant's. I am sure the other full time Assistant's on staff are paying close attention and studying his philosophy. Those guys may be the likely "heirs apparent" when and if he moves on.

The system is only part of it. All systems are studied and copied by coaches all over the country. The coach that is teaching that system, recruiting, game day calls etc are what are important IMO.

Another top notch coach with a different system can yield the same results. Coach B has certainly shown he is more than capable of bringing in great assistants. I am going to enjoy watching this defense for as long as we have Coach Smith and worry about the next guy when it's time to worry.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on May 16, 2015, 10:55:55 am

They obviously thought the offense would be better last year, much better than the defense.  I'm still wondering about last year's offense.  Did they underperform or were the expectations too high?

The first paragraph of the quote in the opening of the thread pretty much lays that all out. Should be able to run again, not sure about the passing game. That was their expectation.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Styflin on May 16, 2015, 11:28:57 am
The system is only part of it. All systems are studied and copied by coaches all over the country. The coach that is teaching that system, recruiting, game day calls etc are what are important IMO.

Another top notch coach with a different system can yield the same results. Coach B has certainly shown he is more than capable of bringing in great assistants. I am going to enjoy watching this defense for as long as we have Coach Smith and worry about the next guy when it's time to worry.

Not sure anyone is worried. We will have someone good, whether a current assistant or someone brought in from the outside that will do a good job as a DC, when and if that day comes.
Go Hogs Go!

Styflin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2015, 11:35:12 am
Not sure anyone is worried. We will have someone good, whether a current assistant or someone brought in from the outside that will do a good job as a DC, when and if that day comes.

Hogville always worries about losing assistants that we love and can't wait for the others to be fired or move on. Nature of the beast. Coach Smith becoming a head coach has been mentioned numerous times on this site and even in this thread itself.

I think it's natural for us to worry about losing top coaches and top talent too early. I know I do. I'm trying something new this year. Enjoy it while it lasts. We will see if that actually works for me or not.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Styflin on May 16, 2015, 11:41:16 am
Hogville always worries about losing assistants that we love and can't wait for the others to be fired or move on. Nature of the beast. Coach Smith becoming a head coach has been mentioned numerous times on this site and even in this thread itself.

I think it's natural for us to worry about losing top coaches and top talent too early. I know I do. I'm trying something new this year. Enjoy it while it lasts. We will see if that actually works for me or not.

Oh I know and understand where you are coming from on this. Personally I think we have Robb Smith for at least this coming season and the next before there is a chance that he moves on, but I could be wrong. I didn't figure Chaney was going anywhere for 3 seasons either and "boom" he was gone after 2. I'm glad he left, but I really figured he would get at least 3. So who knows?
Go Hogs Go!

TeufelHog

The truth of the matter is that it hasn't been a "year difference made."  It's been three . . . A VERY LONG THREE.  For the first time as a Razorback fan, I have no doubt in our fundamental football foundation.  These coaches have done an amazing job rebuilding this program and instilling an identity in our Hogs.

Can you imagine the difficulties overcome by someone like BA who has endured 4 Offensive Coordinators.  That's unheard of.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TeufelHog on May 16, 2015, 11:50:10 am
The truth of the matter is that it hasn't been a "year difference made."  It's been three . . . A VERY LONG THREE.  For the first time as a Razorback fan, I have no doubt in our fundamental football foundation.  These coaches have done an amazing job rebuilding this program and instilling an identity in our Hogs.

Can you imagine the difficulties overcome by someone like BA who has endured 4 Offensive Coordinators.  That's unheard of.

I agree with you about how long and hard it is has been, but the title in the original post, "What a Difference a Year Makes", had to do with the link and the prediction of our coming year, in that case going into last season, how wrong they turned out to be and to your point, how much better off we are now.

But you are right, the year under JLS and the first year under Bielema and even some parts of last year have made it seem like a long time since we have experienced any level of real success.
Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2015, 06:27:46 am
Athlon Pre-Spring article from 2014. You can see some of the questions they posed here, and how they were answered. Check out the entire article. There is more there than just this quote, below.

"2014 Early Projected Win Range: 3-5  Even the schedule is nasty for Bielema, as things get started with road trips to Auburn and Texas Tech in the first three weeks. Three wins in the non-conference would be a great step and an upset (or two) at home against an SEC power — Alabama, Georgia, LSU or Ole Miss — will be mandatory if the Razorbacks are going to be bowling at season's end."

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/arkansas-razorbacks-2014-spring-football-preview
To be fair this part is almost spot on, we won 6 games instead.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 16, 2015, 12:17:30 pm
To be fair this part is almost spot on, we won 6 games instead.

I agree, it is fair. What about the other part about our defense?
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Quote from: Styflin on May 16, 2015, 11:28:57 am

Well I know what you are saying there but it is not that easy. Ask Auburn or A&M or even LSU after losing Chavis to A&M. Having the money to raid another team for a big name coordinator is one thing but identifying the next Rob Smith from a distance is quite another. Fundamentals in Rob Smith's system is key especially the tackling, then we have the improved dbacks playing the receivers and the ball in the air which we have not done as well this century. Kudos to all our defensive coaches. If it were that easy it would not have taken us that long to figure things out. In fact if it were that easy everyone would have a great defense.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Theolesnort on May 16, 2015, 02:33:20 pm
Well I know what you are saying there but it is not that easy. Ask Auburn or A&M or even LSU after losing Chavis to A&M. Having the money to raid another team for a big name coordinator is one thing but identifying the next Rob Smith from a distance is quite another. Fundamentals in Rob Smith's system is key especially the tackling, then we have the improved dbacks playing the receivers and the ball in the air which we have not done as well this century. Kudos to all our defensive coaches. If it were that easy it would not have taken us that long to figure things out. In fact if it were that easy everyone would have a great defense.
+1 post
Chemistry of the coaching staff/program/players is as important as the chemistry of both the offensive and defensive teams, on the field.
Money can hire a hot rod coach and that doesn't necessarily mean said coach is a good fit.
With that being said, I think CBB would hire someone who is a good fit for our philosophy. It starts with the HC, and his hiring skills.

" GO HOGS "

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2015, 11:35:12 am
yep. Because the one paying more attention to Smith than anyone else is Coach B.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

nchogg

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 16, 2015, 03:22:30 pm
+1 post
Chemistry of the coaching staff/program/players is as important as the chemistry of both the offensive and defensive teams, on the field.
Money can hire a hot rod coach and that doesn't necessarily mean said coach is a good fit.
With that being said, I think CBB would hire someone who is a good fit for our philosophy. It starts with the HC, and his hiring skills.

" GO HOGS "
That was not the case with JLS. It was the opposite. I agree with what you say about CBB.

Styflin

Quote from: Theolesnort on May 16, 2015, 02:33:20 pm

Absolutely agree here. I would venture to say Rob Smiths approach to tackling isn't really a defensive system. It's more of an approach that is unique to him. In that aspect you couldn't be more correct. I hope we can keep him for a as long as possible. Hopefully we don't lose him to a higher bidder for the same position.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Styflin on May 16, 2015, 04:34:19 pm
Absolutely agree here. I would venture to say Rob Smiths approach to tackling isn't really a defensive system. It's more of an approach that is unique to him. In that aspect you couldn't be more correct. I hope we can keep him for a as long as possible. Hopefully we don't lose him to a higher bidder for the same position.

I doubt that Robb Smith's approach to tackling is unique, as he has probably learned this somewhere along the way in his career. But his dedication to the emphasis on that technique might be somewhat more unique than some others coaching at this level. Really, kind of hard to say.

What I do know is that there is only emphasis on certain things in any program if the guy at the top agrees and believes in them and is willing to back his assistant's to the hilt in reinforcing that culture on a team.

Remember Bielema talking about having a heated discussion with Smith about his beliefs in terms of defense and how it should be coached when they met to discuss the job? Apparently it was loud enough that folks in neighboring rooms called the front desk to complain about the noise. Now there is a man (Robb Smith) who was willing to stand by what he believed in, even if it potentially cost him a job. That had to impress Bielema. That is probably at least part of what got Robb Smith hired.
Go Hogs Go!

Styflin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 18, 2015, 07:36:05 pm
I doubt that Robb Smith's approach to tackling is unique, as he has probably learned this somewhere along the way in his career. But his dedication to the emphasis on that technique might be somewhat more unique than some others coaching at this level. Really, kind of hard to say.

What I do know is that there is only emphasis on certain things in any program if the guy at the top agrees and believes in them and is willing to back his assistant's to the hilt in reinforcing that culture on a team.

Remember Bielema talking about having a heated discussion with Smith about his beliefs in terms of defense and how it should be coached when they met to discuss the job? Apparently it was loud enough that folks in neighboring rooms called the front desk to complain about the noise. Now there is a man (Robb Smith) who was willing to stand by what he believed in, even if it potentially cost him a job. That had to impress Bielema. That is probably at least part of what got Robb Smith hired.

Coach Smith's approach tackling has been highlighted by Bret and players. It's been talked about on numerous occasions.

I would also say, that Coach Smith standing up for himself and demanding certain things are what I was referring to earlier. It's not always the system. It's the man.

hawgXi

don't forget the contributions by clay jennings & rory segrest to the defense last year.  hopefully more to come.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Styflin on May 18, 2015, 07:58:09 pm
Coach Smith's approach tackling has been highlighted by Bret and players. It's been talked about on numerous occasions.

I would also say, that Coach Smith standing up for himself and demanding certain things are what I was referring to earlier. It's not always the system. It's the man.

Or perhaps, both, when meshed with a HC that allows a Coordinator the freedom (subject to HC approval) to employ his own system. I like Smith and his approach. Bielema made a home run evaluation and hire for a DC. I hope that Enos turns out to be the same.
Go Hogs Go!

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 18, 2015, 08:27:18 pm
Or perhaps, both, when meshed with a HC that allows a Coordinator the freedom (subject to HC approval) to employ his own system. I like Smith and his approach. Bielema made a home run evaluation and hire for a DC. I hope that Enos turns out to be the same.

I am a long time fan (54yo) who didn't know a lot about the college/pro coaching (played HS ball at Rison only) stuff, but from reading Mike Irwin's insider stuff on Lou Holtz, coupled with the things we knew/found out about HDN and BP, I have the feeling we are truly seeing the best staff (coaching)/talent(recruiting) combination since Frank Broyles was in his prime. Certainly, the last half season results coupled with the effects of the betterment of the coaching staff have me very optimistic about this season. I am really psyched to see what happens.

WPS GHG!
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

presidenthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 18, 2015, 07:36:05 pm

I do not remember this heated discussion but since the information is coming from you I'll take your word on it. I do know that robb's tackling technique comes from schiano at Rutgers after the one guy get hurt while tackling.

Chief Mac

I was there with ya LZH.  Glad I had some tasty crow to eat in regards to Robb Smith
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2015, 07:34:50 am

Most of these guys just flip a coin.  I trust Steele to do his homework.