Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enemy within-interesting ESPN article Coach B quoted

Started by monty hawg, May 15, 2015, 11:18:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Styflin

Chemistry is where it all starts. This is a huge part of coaching a team of any age or sport. If the chemistry isn't right, you aren't going to win at a high level.

Show me a coach that doesn't understand this, and I will show you a coach that struggles. That same coach will blame the lack of talent, assistant coaches, or anything he can cling to for validation of losing.

All those things are variables in a team's success, but winning all starts with chemistry among the team. Football is one of the most team oriented sports out there.

This is one of my favorite qualities of Coach B. He will have a team fighting, winning, and losing together.

Sportster365

very interesting article. I think for this cause CBB advised B. Mitchell on transferring. The potential for derision could have been to strong with a highly liked and influential Senior like Mitchell not buying in.

I think the coach plays a tremendous roll in managing chemistry. In fact most of my smites came from me defending coach Jimbo Fisher. In my opinion the man's a true players coach. I'm positive most of his roster would line up and go to war for him. A major reason why FSU was able to come from behind in so many games last season. He's proven to be behind his players even if no one else is and as an athlete you've got to appreciate that. I like how CBB is implementing break bread with someone new.. .those things help but as the head you can control much of it from your actions. Because ultimately they are there for you. 

Josh Goforth

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Sportster365 on May 15, 2015, 12:36:42 pm
very interesting article. I think for this cause CBB advised B. Mitchell on transferring. The potential for derision could have been to strong with a highly liked and influential Senior like Mitchell not buying in.

I think the coach plays a tremendous roll in managing chemistry. In fact most of my smites came from me defending coach Jimbo Fisher. In my opinion the man's a true players coach. I'm positive most of his roster would line up and go to war for him. A major reason why FSU was able to come from behind in so many games last season. He's proven to be behind his players even if no one else is and as an athlete you've got to appreciate that. I like how CBB is implementing break bread with someone new.. .those things help but as the head you can control much of it from your actions. Because ultimately they are there for you.
However, as we know, there are always exceptions to the rule: prime example one Jameis Winston.

Sivad

Ah, Coach B. Once again making me glad he's ours.
Woo Pig :razorback:

gmarv

I like the fact that cbb puts as much emphasis on character as he does.you just have less problems all the way around.

LZH

One thing I'll say for BB regarding the (alleged) state of our locker room upon his arrival - he didn't hesitate to bounce some kids when he felt they weren't buying into his concept of 'team' (translation: they were more trouble than they were worth).  I believe "he has decided to transfer" is/was the polite term (and I am sure BB actually tried to help those kids find other places to play), but there's no doubt he did some much-needed housecleaning his first 18 months here.

Hawgey-Davidson

Bad chemistry/cliques was part of Hootie Dale's problem here. He never could get the program or players on the same page. I could go on but.......We are lucky to have CBB. WPS!!

Paul

chemistry & character can make up for a lack of talent.  I think our 2014 defense is an example of that

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on May 15, 2015, 01:14:07 pm
Bad chemistry/cliques was part of Hootie Dale's problem here. He never could get the program or players on the same page. I could go on but.......We are lucky to have CBB. WPS!!
Call it bad "chemistry" or whatever but ONE of the many problems within the locker room environment during Hooter's tenure was "some were more equal than others". It was probably the world's least best kept secret that if you were a starter or real star there was almost nothing too good for you. However, if you were not a major contributor you were likely going to have a different set of standards/set of treatment expected (and those weren't going to be particularly pleasant). Obviously with CBB everyone, starter/star/redshirt/reserve, is going to have the same standards of conduct (both within and outside the athletic complex), classroom expectations and overall abiding by rules set down by the staff. No more "premadonnas" are going to be allowed to rule the team in any way, shape or form.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Sportster365 on May 15, 2015, 12:36:42 pm

Good example and right on, IMO.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on May 15, 2015, 01:14:07 pm
Bad chemistry/cliques was part of Hootie Dale's problem here. He never could get the program or players on the same page.
Calling for Code Reds by his favored players against other players and his family supporting email harassment campaigns against his players didn't help either.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 15, 2015, 03:30:12 pm
Calling for Code Reds by his favored players against other players and his family supporting email harassment campaigns against his players didn't help either.
Like I said, I could go on. Glad you did.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 15, 2015, 03:30:12 pm

truth

MuskogeeHogFan

May 16, 2015, 05:41:27 am #17 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:37:36 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2015, 01:03:22 pm
One thing I'll say for BB regarding the (alleged) state of our locker room upon his arrival - he didn't hesitate to bounce some kids when he felt they weren't buying into his concept of 'team' (translation: they were more trouble than they were worth).  I believe "he has decided to transfer" is/was the polite term (and I am sure BB actually tried to help those kids find other places to play), but there's no doubt he did some much-needed housecleaning his first 18 months here.

Every new coach who is at a high-level program does the same thing. Some of it encouraged by the staff, some of it as a result of some of the players just not feeling comfortable with the new direction/scheme/philosophy of the program. Some might have been headed that direction anyway prior to the change in leadership of the program. not all transfers are created equal, in that way.

It may sound harsh to some, especially when dealing with kids lives, but sometimes you have to cut the kids loose who refuse to buy-in to the change in culture. "The train is leaving the station. You can choose to get on with everyone else, or you can choose to be left standing on the platform".
Go Hogs Go!