Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could pick any ONE game to win this fall . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 12, 2015, 07:48:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig In The City

NaturalStateReb

Alabama is always the answer.  Beating Gump is like beating Texas or Notre Dame--even if they're not all that good, beating them gives you instant notoriety.

Outside of Bama, this year it's Auburn.  They'll be highly rated; beating them not only gives the Gus Bus a flat, it probably moves you up in the bowl pecking order.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

holman24

Missouri because if we go undefeated Missouri will be the last game we play if we want to make the playoffs WPS.

hawganatic

Yeah, I'm not taking Bama off the table for this.  We haven't beaten them since 2006, and that was on a fluke - Bama kicker having a horrible night.

We could go 1-11 this season, and I'd be happy, with that 1 win being against Bama...

GolfnHog

Since Alabama is not an option for this particular exercise, I'll go w/ the game we are playing on any given Saturday this fall.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

RT1941

RazorTusk!!!!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Theolesnort on May 13, 2015, 05:22:42 am
With the bugaboo we have with Bama you can't take them off the table. Why waste a magic wish on somebody else when we don't need it? So despite the way you phrased your question my answer is Alabama, the rest we don't need any blankity blank magic. Heck, we might not even need it for Bama. Heck we beat A&M good last year except for a man in a stripped shirt with little man syndrome who decided he was going to show us and he did.

Because if Alabama is included, 90% of the responses would be that.  We already know that, so it's not interesting.

And, in fact, this isn't a "strategy" thing . . . as in "if I say the SEC Championship game, that means we must have won the Division and therefore, beaten almost everyone else".  What I'm asking about is a visceral, emotional thing.  What team do you - because of a boastful co-worker, or in-law, or spouse, or whatever - want to beat more than any other.  Beating them doesn't mean we win or lose any other games . . . I'm NOT asking if you can win one and only one game.  I'm just saying which one game would be the most satisfying to you for purely personal reasons.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 13, 2015, 10:15:09 am
Because if Alabama is included, 90% of the responses would be that.  We already know that, so it's not interesting.

And, in fact, this isn't a "strategy" thing . . . as in "if I say the SEC Championship game, that means we must have won the Division and therefore, beaten almost everyone else".  What I'm asking about is a visceral, emotional thing.  What team do you - because of a boastful co-worker, or in-law, or spouse, or whatever - want to beat more than any other.  Beating them doesn't mean we win or lose any other games . . . I'm NOT asking if you can win one and only one game.  I'm just saying which one game would be the most satisfying to you for purely personal reasons.

I want to see Gus cry.  Is that visceral enough?

HoGFromTheStart

Take out Auburn Hogs!! Take them all out, blow our freakin minds!!! Go Hogs Go!!!
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

Medic821

razorsharptusk

GO HOGS!!

LZH

Quote from: Theolesnort on May 13, 2015, 05:22:42 am
Heck we beat A&M good last year except for a man in a stripped shirt with little man syndrome who decided he was going to show us and he did.

My tummy hurts now.....

Birminghog

Quote from: hawganatic on May 13, 2015, 10:06:14 am
Yeah, I'm not taking Bama off the table for this.  We haven't beaten them since 2006, and that was on a fluke - Bama kicker having a horrible night.

We could go 1-11 this season, and I'd be happy, with that 1 win being against Bama...

I would much rather go 11-1, losing to Bama, than 1-11, beating them. They're not THAT important to me.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Birminghog on May 13, 2015, 01:10:50 pm
I would much rather go 11-1, losing to Bama, than 1-11, beating them. They're not THAT important to me.
how many wins are they really worth though.

would

1-11 beating bama

or

2-10 not beating bama
3-9?
4-8?
5-7?
6-6?

I'd probably take 1-11 right up until it cost us a bowl game.

but then again, if we beat them and went 1-11 it would mean bama was really really bad, so how much would it really mean...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

wupigsuey

Mizzou. On a side note, as I sit here watching the ttu game from last year, I sure am gonna miss Korliss Marshall.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

PorkSoda

toss up between Auburn/Mizzou/TAMU in terms of hate but I like the reasoning behind the Tenner Game.  But I gotta go with LSU, the Battle of the Boot has always been my favorite game and the one I judge the season by.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: GolfnHog on May 13, 2015, 10:06:47 am
Since Alabama is not an option for this particular exercise, I'll go w/ the game we are playing on any given Saturday this fall.

"The NEXT game" is the one I want to win, always.

Free beer tomorrow.

LRRandy

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on May 13, 2015, 09:50:25 am
Alabama is always the answer.  Beating Gump is like beating Texas or Notre Dame--even if they're not all that good, beating them gives you instant notoriety.

Outside of Bama, this year it's Auburn.  They'll be highly rated; beating them not only gives the Gus Bus a flat, it probably moves you up in the bowl pecking order.
this is the best answer.
This is fun, isn't it.

HogInFlorida

Auburn. They're the most hyped team in the SEC right now.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Cinco de Hogo

I honestly can't answer the question like it is posed.  I have to pick our first conference game and then I could move on to the next.

PGTIGERHOG

TheRazorback500

Quote from: HogBreath on May 13, 2015, 08:27:48 am
No, even a dumb corndogger knows how thoroughly they got their arces handed to 'em that nite.

But they did get to enjoy a lot of nice warm cocoa that evening.
You may be giving them too much credit! Lol

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

TheRazorback500

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 13, 2015, 08:27:01 am
It may well have been, corndogs are stale in freezing weather. Now if we do it death valley, we have something to crow(oink) about. I ain't giving it back though.
Not no but heck no!

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

jgphillips3

Well, if I can't pick Bama as my #1, Auburn would be #2.  Given their recent prestige and Gus' Arkansas connections, beating them would be more meaningful than any other team.

bennyl08

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 13, 2015, 10:15:09 am

In that case, I choose Tennessee. My hate for them runs almost as deep as for Texas.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawgzinbowlz

A&M for momentum and Auburn/Gus for the soul.

" GO HOGS "

daBoar

Tennessee, because I'll be there in the nose bleed section.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

HogShat

Quote from: PGTIGERHOG on May 13, 2015, 06:51:23 pm
The next one -
Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 13, 2015, 04:28:29 pm
"The NEXT game" is the one I want to win, always.

Free beer tomorrow.

My thoughts exactly. Because I promise you this is the one these guys focus on.... #1-0... WOO PIG!

gawntrail

HammusArkansus

Since Bama is off the table, it would be A&M for obvious 'state of Texas' recruiting purposes.

hawganatic

Quote from: Birminghog on May 13, 2015, 01:10:50 pm

Never said 1-11 was preferable to 11-1.  But if 1-11 DID happen, and it was Bama, then it would take some of the sting out of the season.

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

arkansasrazorback

A&M.  Everyone should be saying A&M.  We will be 3-0 going into that game.  If we win we are 4-0 going to Tennessee.  If we lose we could be sitting at 3-3 after the Bama game. 

mr_v8horsepower

Aggies, or anyone from Texas!!! I really enjoyed beating Texas!

The NewEra

Sorry, but I can't play this game by your rules.

All the cream puff teams because they shouldn't have scheduled us.
Texas Tech because they have glamor boy and are step children in a mediocre conference.
A&M because I've grown to dislike Sumlin and I've always hated the team.
Tennessee because they are Tennessee.
Alabama because it's time to dethrone them in front of their fans on Homecoming.
Auburn because Gus needs to be exposed by a better coach.
Ole Miss because they act like game day is the Kentucky Derby.
LSU because they have the most obnoxious fans on the planet.
Mississippi State because they need Cow Bells to help them make noise.
Missouri because they have had it far too easy coming into the SEC, playing in the East.

That's 12 - 0 isn't it?  :)