Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When was the last time the Hogs were ranked #1, and what are the chances it happens this year?

Started by HogMantheIntruder, May 12, 2015, 12:43:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMantheIntruder

I tried to just look this up, but I got lazy and decided I'd just ask some of our Hogville Historians.  I don't mean finishing the season #1.  I already know that answer.  I mean at any time during the season.  I don't remember it ever happening in my lifetime.

My main reason for asking this (aside from going through FB withdrawals) is in another thread, it was mentioned by someone (name escapes me) that if we go 4-0 in the  vs A&M, Tenner, Bama, and Auburn, then we would, in all likelihood, be ranked #1.  I realize that's a tall order, but it could happen. 

So how long has it been, and do you think we make it happen this year?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Peppa Pig

I don't know the answer.  I'm just so happy that that idea is not completely ridiculous.  While very far from likely, it is legitimately a possibility.

BudweiserHog

As along as OSU stays undefeated they will be #1. Which is likely to be all season with their schedule. But I dont know the answer to you question

threeNout

I think pre-season 1978, the year after the big Orange Bowl win,  Holtz's 2nd year.

At least SI had us on their pre season issue as #1, not sure if either the AP or UPI agreed at the time though.

as far as this year, I'd say we have more than a "Jim Carrey, so you're saying there's a chance", chance.  same as about 15 or 20 other teams.

ricepig

Quote from: threeNout on May 12, 2015, 12:58:45 pm
I think pre-season 1979, the year after the big Orange Bowl win,  Holtz's 2nd year.

At least SI had us on their pre season issue as #1, not sure if if either the AP or UPI agreed at the time though.

That would be my guess, but it was after the 77 season after the 78 Orange Bowl, I believe.

threeNout

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2015, 01:01:43 pm
That would be my guess, but it was after the 77 season after the 78 Orange Bowl, I believe.

yep, I corrected, that's what I meant.

hawginbigd1

Were we not #1 in 80 when we opened the season with a loss to Texas on Labor day weekend?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 12, 2015, 01:04:22 pm
Were we not #1 in 80 when we opened the season with a loss to Texas on Labor day weekend?
I was born on August 2, 1980, so if that is the case, then the Hogs have been ranked number one for the first month (depending on when the rankings were released) of my life, and have not done it since.  Don't know about ya'll, but I think we're overdue.
   -Harry Solomon

jjdlc

It has been a long time.  This is just my opinion, but I would think for us to be number 1 this year, just about every team in the early season top ten will have had to suffer a loss, while we remained undefeated.  We would also need a defining win, blowing out Bama in Tuscaloosa, would go a long ways, assuming everyone else had lost.  It's no knock against the team, just climbing to the top of the top 10 isnt an easy road, usually requires help.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: jjdlc on May 12, 2015, 01:26:17 pm
It has been a long time.  This is just my opinion, but I would think for us to be number 1 this year, just about every team in the early season top ten will have had to suffer a loss, while we remained undefeated.  We would also need a defining win, blowing out Bama in Tuscaloosa, would go a long ways, assuming everyone else had lost.  It's no knock against the team, just climbing to the top of the top 10 isnt an easy road, usually requires help.
I think there is a lot more mobility in the polls than there ever has been, mostly due to the consensus that preseason polls are utterly worthless and should not factor into how a team is ranked during the season.
   -Harry Solomon

Jamie Jones

Quote from: BudweiserHog on May 12, 2015, 12:52:49 pm
As along as OSU stays undefeated they will be #1. Which is likely to be all season with their schedule. But I dont know the answer to you question
Not necessarily. The Hogs would have beaten ranked opponents on the road, at Bama, at Tenn, and in Dallas against A&M. OSU would have been "tested" by only Virginia Tech on the road and Penn State at home. I think the voters and the committee will give the Hogs the nod in that situation. It is a big step, but at least not an insurmountable one.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

jjdlc

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2015, 01:33:51 pm
I think there is a lot more mobility in the polls than there ever has been, mostly due to the consensus that preseason polls are utterly worthless and should not factor into how a team is ranked during the season.

This is very true, but once you hit the top ten, it is still difficult to jump someone ahead of you without them losing, or an absolutely stellar win on your part.  That becomes even more true the closer you get to the top. 

oldhawg

Whether it happens or not, it is great to see expectations and enthusiasm so high again.

TNhawgfan

I would give us a zero % chance of being ranked #1 this year; however, I would have given Miss. State a negative % chance of being ranked #1 last year, so crazier things have happened
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2015, 01:14:04 pm
I was born on August 2, 1980, so if that is the case, then the Hogs have been ranked number one for the first month (depending on when the rankings were released) of my life, and have not done it since.  Don't know about ya'll, but I think we're overdue.

I am certain we were never ranked 1 in 1980.  And I don't think you can count the preseason SI when AP and UPI were the only polls that really counted.  I don't think we were ever higher than 3 in 78 and that didn't last long.

It's been a long time, if in fact we've EVER been an AP no. 1, almost certainly since the 60s.

ifghog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 12, 2015, 01:55:05 pm
We will lose up to 4 games. no way we are #1.
You think 4 huh......hmmm.....I think 3 losses with a bowl win. Maybe even better if we stay healthy. I do agree we will not be ranked number 1 this year.

thirrdegreetusker

UA press guide say last time we played a game as #1 was October 23, 1965. We won 55-20, and dropped to #2. ESPN hates us.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 12, 2015, 02:10:35 pm
UA press guide say last time we played a game as #1 was October 23, 1965. We won 55-20, and dropped to #2. ESPN hates us.

In the '78 season, with SI picking us #1, we started the season at #2, won two games, and dropped to #4. Then we won, and climbed to #3. Lost to Texas next week, dropped to #9.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

popcornhog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2015, 12:43:29 pm
I tried to just look this up, but I got lazy and decided I'd just ask some of our Hogville Historians.  I don't mean finishing the season #1.  I already know that answer.  I mean at any time during the season.  I don't remember it ever happening in my lifetime.

My main reason for asking this (aside from going through FB withdrawals) is in another thread, it was mentioned by someone (name escapes me) that if we go 4-0 in the  vs A&M, Tenner, Bama, and Auburn, then we would, in all likelihood, be ranked #1.  I realize that's a tall order, but it could happen. 

I want to say pre-season after the 1978 Orange Bowl. But a quick google search didn't give me a quick answer, so I gave up. I was born in 1983. We've been close in my life time but I don't recall ever being #1.

This year it's an incredibly slim possibility, but I do think that we have a very real chance to creep into the top 10 at some point and finish in the top 15.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: ifghog on May 12, 2015, 02:04:19 pm
You think 4 huh......hmmm.....I think 3 losses with a bowl win. Maybe even better if we stay healthy. I do agree we will not be ranked number 1 this year.

He said "up to 4." He didn't predict 4 losses.

Maximum possible losses:

1) @ Bama
2) @ Tennessee
3) @ LSU
4) @ Ole Miss
5) Auburn
6) Mizzou
7) State
8.) A&M

It's absolutely within the realm of possibility that we could lose any of those games.

Personally, I have us going 9-3 or 8-4 with losses @ Alabama; @ Tennessee; @ Ole Miss and/or at home against AU.

I believe that most reasonable media outlets and fans will have us winning between seven to nine regular season games.
WPS

aar0n

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 12, 2015, 01:55:05 pm
We will lose up to 4 games. no way we are #1.

Ah yes, the required "taking this hypothetical situation way too seriously" poster.  There is at least one of these posters required in any hypothetical situation thread. 

DLUXHOG

It's been a long, long time.... and yes, I think we will crack it this year.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HogWall Jackson

This is the Correct Answer and it was just for 1 week. Should Arkansas ever run the table in the SEC, they would have to be considered for the Number 1 Ranking during the season and would get their shot in the Playoffs as they are structured today.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2015, 12:43:29 pm

It does depend on our performance but because of the built-in media prejudice for other storied college football programs, it also depends on their performance as well. I'm not counting on it happening at all, but if it does it will be a great day.
Go Hogs Go!

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 12, 2015, 01:04:22 pm

UA press guide says #6

RT1941

I'm hoping UA cracks the top 10 this season, IMO that is much more reasonable than a #1 ranking. 
RazorTusk!!!!

NaturalStateReb

I think there's a low single digits chance of being #1 at some point in the season, like 2% or less.

The same could have been said at Mississippi State last season, though.  That's why they play the games.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Bacons Rebellion

On October 16, #3 Arkansas beat #1 Texas 27-24 on TV and passed Nebraska and Texas for our only AP #1 ranking. Michigan St. beat Michigan and moved from 4th to 2nd.

Rank   Change   Team   (1st Votes)   Points   Record
1.   +2   Arkansas                  (28)         468         5-0   
2.   +2   Michigan St.             (14)         420         5-0   
3.   -1   Nebraska                  ( 8 )         393         5-0   
4.   +2   Southern California                  268         4-0-1   
5.   -4   Texas                                       253         4-0-1   
6.   +1   Purdue                                    239         4-0-1   
7.   +1   Notre Dame                            192          3-1   
8.   +1   Florida                                    139         4-1   
9.   (NR)   Louisiana St.                          79          4-1   
10.   -5   Georgia                                   65          4-1   

On October 23, Arkansas beat 1-4 North Texas 55-20 (only victory over now defunct Parsons College), while Michigan State beat a 3-1 Ohio State team (who had previously lost to North Carolina 14-3) by 32-7.

Rank   Change   Team      (1st Votes)   Points   Record   
1.   +1   Michigan St.             (19)           473   6-0   
2.   -1   Arkansas                   (23)          466   6-0   
3.           Nebraska                   (9)          424   6-0   
4.   +3   Notre Dame                             346   4-1   
5.   +4   Louisiana St.                            230   5-1   
6.      Purdue                                         201   4-1-1   
7.   +1   Florida                                     200   4-1   
8.   -4   Southern California                     93   4-1-1   
9.   -4   Texas                                        68   4-2   
10.   (NR)   Alabama                               62   4-1-1

CallThemHawgs!

hoghiker

Quote from: RT1941 on May 13, 2015, 09:53:21 am
I'm hoping UA cracks the top 10 this season, IMO that is much more reasonable than a #1 ranking. 
This. I think some people aren't going to be happy with our improvement this year because we don't go undefeated. I love my Hogs, a lot, but every time I  read stuff like this I think back, to the  not too distant past, about the Year Slappy was our coach. Half of Hogville was convinced we were going to be contenders.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 13, 2015, 09:43:02 am
UA press guide says #6

Arkansas has only been #1 in the AP pole one time in the week following the upset of #1 Texas in Fayetteville in October 1965.  Despite winning the following week they fell to #2 behind Alabama which would go on to win the NC despite losing their bowl again.

The 1980 team was picked pre-season #1 by SI after finishing #3 in the final 1977 AP poll.

Hogarusa

I believe the answer is 0.001% (nothing is impossible) on doing any of the following 3: being ranked #1 this season,  sweeping that 4 game stretch, and jumping an undefeated Ohio St.

May threads be crazy
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

LZH

I am certain that we've never been AP/UPI #1 in my lifetime (1967-present).  With the exception of the first month of the 1978 season (#2 AP/UPI), the week before the LSU game a few years ago was as high (#3) as we've ever been during the season since I've been keeping up with Razorback football (1977-present).

Whoever it was that mentioned Ohio State above is right, though.  Ever since Urban Liar...er, Meyer, arrived in Columbus, they will be the type of media darlings previously reserved for programs like Notre Dame.

Cinco de Hogo

If we are in that position after that four game stretch then the the SEC will be viewed as the fourth best conference in football.  Therefore we wouldn't be good enought to earn a number one ranking.

LRRandy

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2015, 01:33:51 pm
man are you right about that. There was more volatility in the polls week to week than I have seen in 30 years. aTm is a perfect example. They went from preseason #21 to number 9 after just one game. They rose as high as #6 the next few weeks but by week 9 they were unranked and they finished the year unranked. I can't remember a roller coaster like that or a 12 spot jump into the top 10 in just one week. Crazy.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Jamie Jones on May 12, 2015, 01:37:51 pm
Not necessarily. The Hogs would have beaten ranked opponents on the road, at Bama, at Tenn, and in Dallas against A&M. OSU would have been "tested" by only Virginia Tech on the road and Penn State at home. I think the voters and the committee will give the Hogs the nod in that situation. It is a big step, but at least not an insurmountable one.
not a chance of the nod going to the hogs over an undefeated defending national champion. That would be great though for the Razorbacks undefeated number 2 working their way through the final weeks anticipating a playoff invitation.
This is fun, isn't it.

jgphillips3

Theoretically, we could hit #1 if we are undefeated after the Bama game and Ohio State slips.  Other than that, we have a better chance of winning a national title than being ranked #1 during the year.

TexasTransplant

There wasn't any ESPN in 1965.  Must have been someone else that hated us.

redeye

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 13, 2015, 10:33:08 am
On October 16, #3 Arkansas beat #1 Texas 27-24 on TV and passed Nebraska and Texas for our only AP #1 ranking. Michigan St. beat Michigan and moved from 4th to 2nd.

On October 23, Arkansas beat 1-4 North Texas 55-20 (only victory over now defunct Parsons College), while Michigan State beat a 3-1 Ohio State team (who had previously lost to North Carolina 14-3) by 32-7.

After all the egg the AP had on it's face after '64, you'd think they would've been kinder to us in '65, but nope.  As long as all things are equal, I don't think Arkansas has a chance of being #1 in the AP.  The only way we'll ever do that is if we're the only undefeated team left, and as history has proven before, that may still not be enough.

Augustus

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 13, 2015, 05:41:43 pm
If we are in that position after that four game stretch then the the SEC will be viewed as the fourth best conference in football.  Therefore we wouldn't be good enought to earn a number one ranking.

I think the talking points will continue to be: "SEC teams did not their win their bowl games, and the dominance is over"

But with that said... if we go 7-0 and beat A&M at Jerry's World, @ Tenn, @ Bama, and Auburn in Fayetteville? I think we'll have a strong argument for #1.

I don't see it happening though, sadly.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Augustus on May 14, 2015, 01:35:48 am
I think the talking points will continue to be: "SEC teams did not their win their bowl games, and the dominance is over"

But with that said... if we go 7-0 and beat A&M at Jerry's World, @ Tenn, @ Bama, and Auburn in Fayetteville? I think we'll have a strong argument for #1.

I don't see it happening though, sadly.

And up to that same date, Oct 24th, Ohio State will likely be 8-0 with a schedule that lines up like this:

at Virginia Tech Hokies
Saturday

Sep. 12 Warriors Hawaii Rainbow Warriors
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH

Sep. 19 Huskies Northern Illinois Huskies

Sep. 26 Western Michigan Broncos

Oct. 3 Hoosiers at Indiana Hoosiers
Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN

Oct. 10 Terrapins Maryland Terrapins (HC)

Oct. 17 Nittany Lions Penn State Nittany Lions
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH 8:00 p.m. ET

Oct. 24 Scarlet Knights at Rutgers Scarlet Knights
High Point Solutions Stadium, Piscataway, NJ

If they are 8-0 on that same date there isn't anyway that they aren't probably anointed the #1 team in the country, especially if there are some dominating wins in that group.

Just sayin, it isn't just about what we do, it's what others do or don't do, as well.
Go Hogs Go!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on May 13, 2015, 11:19:37 am
Arkansas has only been #1 in the AP pole one time in the week following the upset of #1 Texas in Fayetteville in October 1965.  Despite winning the following week they fell to #2 behind Alabama which would go on to win the NC despite losing their bowl again.

The 1980 team was picked pre-season #1 by SI after finishing #3 in the final 1977 AP poll.

Locutus, you are mixing up two years - 1964 and 1965.  After upsetting Texas in 1964, we ended up #2 in the final regular season poll, to Alabama's #1.  We were never ranked #1 that season.  Of course, they went on to lose their Bowl game - to the same Texas team we had beaten in Austin (giving the defending National Champions their only loss of that season), while we beat #5 Nebraska to finish as the only undefeated D1 team and claim the post-Bowl Championships.  The AP and  UPI famously did not conduct a post-Bowl poll that season.

In 1965, after - again - beating Texas, we did catapult to our first and only ranking of #1 in the AP poll; but, as mentioned by others, we slipped to #2 the next week after dusting off N. Texas by 35 points (Michigan State passed us).  Ironically, Alabama ended up ranked #1 in the first ever POST-Bowl vote by the AP (an obvious reaction to getting it wrong the year before), after the top 3 undefeated teams (Michigan State, Arkansas, Nebraska) all lost their Bowl games.  Bama was 8-1-1 prior to the Bowl and jumped all the losing teams to get the vote. But they were not #1 the last half of the season.

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 14, 2015, 06:07:25 am
And up to that same date, Oct 24th, Ohio State will likely be 8-0 with a schedule that lines up like this:

at Virginia Tech Hokies
Saturday

Sep. 12 Warriors Hawaii Rainbow Warriors

Sep. 19 Huskies Northern Illinois Huskies

Sep. 26 Western Michigan Broncos

Oct. 3 Hoosiers at Indiana Hoosiers
Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN

Oct. 10 Terrapins Maryland Terrapins (HC)

Oct. 17 Nittany Lions Penn State Nittany Lions
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH 8:00 p.m. ET

Oct. 24 Scarlet Knights at Rutgers Scarlet Knights
High Point Solutions Stadium, Piscataway, NJ

If they are 8-0 on that same date there isn't anyway that they aren't probably anointed the #1 team in the country, especially if there are some dominating wins in that group.

Just sayin, it isn't just about what we do, it's what others do or don't do, as well.

Isn't Va Tech supposed to be a lot better this year?

thirrdegreetusker

I look back at the 2014 season and, after that opening loss to Auburn, we were so close. Two games where one more field goal in regulation wins it for us. Three games we lost by 7.

With just a little improvement, we're right there. I kinda get why some out-of-state prognosticators have us picked top 10 or 15.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: LRRandy on May 13, 2015, 06:25:04 pm
not a chance of the nod going to the hogs over an undefeated defending national champion. That would be great though for the Razorbacks undefeated number 2 working their way through the final weeks anticipating a playoff invitation.
Really? Not a chance that an undefeated defending national champion would be ranked behind the best SEC school at the time??? (Hypothetically speaking, of course.) Florida State says hi.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Hogs-n-Roses

1978 went into Austin first game of the year. I think it was like the first kickoff classic.Couldn't keep up wit da Jones :'(
Srry my apologies. Wrong year. That might have been '80.

wildturkey8

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 13, 2015, 10:33:08 am

Big 10, Northern Media. ::)

LZH

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 14, 2015, 11:18:59 am
1978 went into Austin first game of the year. I think it was like the first kickoff classic.Couldn't keep up wit da Jones :'(
Srry my apologies. Wrong year. That might have been '80.

Yeah, in '78 we were about four games into the season before we went to Austin wearing red britches (which was unheard of in those days) and lost, knocking us out of the #3 spot.  And I believe you're right, it was 1980 when they moved the Texas game up to the first game of the year (we lost that one, too).

LRRandy

Quote from: Jamie Jones on May 14, 2015, 10:38:55 am
Really? Not a chance that an undefeated defending national champion would be ranked behind the best SEC school at the time??? (Hypothetically speaking, of course.) Florida State says hi.
a team that started at number 2 or 3 maybe. Not a team that starts outside the top 15.
This is fun, isn't it.