Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema says to Sprinkle...

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 11, 2015, 06:06:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

"Eat a bigger brunch".

Bielema is obviously monitoring his players tweets and when Sprinkle posted this tweet, Bielema responded with one of his own.

Jeremy Sprinkle  ‎@sprinkle_memane 
Im tryna hoop this week
1:07 PM - 10 May 2015

Bret Bielema
‎@BretBielema 
Players in #SEC who dream of bigger days, leave hoops to hoops players. Eat a bigger brunch and read a book #WoooPig https://twitter.com/sprinkle_memane/status/597462882813612033 ...
1:36 PM - 10 May 2015

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-tight-end-twitter-eat-bigger-brunch/
Go Hogs Go!

Mike_e

OOOOPS, Busted!

CBB on the job.   lmao
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

hvsupastar

So I guess he thinks Sprinkle needs to put on weight to be successful at next level... I feel like that's good and all but I'd rather have my players playing pick up basketball in their spare time that  playing video games or smoking dope
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 11, 2015, 06:32:02 am
So I guess he thinks Sprinkle needs to put on weight to be successful at next level... I feel like that's good and all but I'd rather have my players playing pick up basketball in their spare time that  playing video games or smoking dope

I'm pretty sure they have a full schedule of things that they have been given to do over the summer. I think he wants them focused on getting better while not taking any chances on sustaining injuries in something like pick-up basketball. That's what I got from that. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

I would rather have them not messing around with sports they are not on scholarship to play.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Choctaw Hog

So, are you suggesting that if Sprinkle doesn't play pick-up basketball that he will be playing video games or smoking dope?  There are other activities. 

Pig in the Pokey

really? smoking weed relaxes a tired athlete and playing madden is a simulation of pro football. Both of those things are better for our athletes than risking injury on the basketball court. The NancyReagan is strong in this guy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

twistitup

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 11, 2015, 07:17:02 am
really? smoking weed relaxes a tired athlete and playing madden is a simulation of pro football. Both of those things are better for our athletes than risking injury on the basketball court. The NancyReagan is strong in this guy.

Just Say No

To Basketball
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

mizzouman

A lot of coaches like players who play hoops.  Show versatility and athleticism.  But at the same time, don't want to tear an ACL playing pickup.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: mizzouman on May 11, 2015, 07:22:52 am
A lot of coaches like players who play hoops.  Show versatility and athleticism.  But at the same time, don't want to tear an ACL playing pickup.
basketball is like a motorcycle ride or a bungie jump or something that is considered dangerous and not worth the risk. Playing video games? Did he really mean for it to come across like there was something WRONG with that? Dude apparently doesn't believe in rest n recovery. No relaxation, no medicine. He'd rather they risk it all playing a dangerous rec sport. Well, NFL GMs would disagree. They'd MUCH rather their star player tokes up and plays some League than to go bang with some randoms at the local Rec Center!
@Slackaveli

twistitup

I hope we don't get a light Sprinkle

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: twistitup on May 11, 2015, 07:35:12 am
I hope we don't get a light Sprinkle
hoping for a more golden one?
@Slackaveli

twistitup

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 11, 2015, 07:35:58 am
hoping for a more golden one?

That's not what Coach B was talking about Pokey

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 11, 2015, 06:38:00 am
I would rather have them not messing around with sports they are not on scholarship to play.

And I think that is where Bielema was going with this. Work on getting better at your position in preparation for the season instead of playing basketball and taking a chance on rolling an ankle, which would set back your off season work outs.
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Kind of reminds of back in the day when me and a buddy tried out for the 7th grade basketball team.  Coach rolled his eyes and said, "Fat tackles go to offseason not the basketball court.  Now head to the weight room, Jug Butts."

Dropkick

By all means then let your players play basketball

hoglady

Beliema's team - Beliema's players.
If he doesn't want them playing pick up basketball in the offseason - so be it.
Not really a big deal. 
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkRinds

Quote from: hoglady on May 11, 2015, 09:42:25 am
Not really a big deal.

We had a kid end up transferring who broke his arm playing basketball IIRC. 

Vantage 8 dude

[/quote It's CBB's team and so I suppose he has the right to "call the shots". There are plenty of ways a young man can keep in shape during the offseason. Workout either at the training facilities or on his own are definitely available. While playing some bb may seem harmless enough, it only takes one wrong move, jump, or shove to send a kid to the floor and screw up an ankle, leg or some other injury that will lead to some very bad consequences. It's certainly been known to happen or more than one occasion and so I can understand Bret's angst.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on May 11, 2015, 09:42:25 am
Not really a big deal. 

He probably would have been less thrilled knowing AC and some others were having dunk contests on the 9ft goals at my son's fraternity house during the season. Sprinkle needs to learn not post everything....

hvsupastar

So nobody agrees with me?  Jeez. Considering a lot of great tight ends were cross over players from basketball, it just seems like a good idea to me.  Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham. . . .  Let Sprinkle Ball
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

PorkRinds

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 11, 2015, 11:34:42 am
So nobody agrees with me?  Jeez. Considering a lot of great tight ends were cross over players from basketball, it just seems like a good idea to me.  Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham. . . .  Let Sprinkle Ball

Pick up basketball is not where folks tend to work on their footwork....

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2015, 11:40:21 am

Was for me, lol.....

MuskogeeHogFan

It doesn't matter whether we agree with you or not. Coach Bielema doesn't agree with you. That kinda carries more weight since we have to assume that he knows what he is talking about when it comes to what is best for his players.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

I have to ask. What would be your answer/attitude IF Sprinkle were to screw up an ankle or something else playing pick up bb? While not saying he will/would, the chance of such injuries is certainly not unknown. Again, there are plenty of physical activities that JS can do to keep in shape. As I said previously if CBB is not in favor of the games then that's more than enough for me. The good of the team must ALWAYS come first.

Pork Twain

Are those the only options?  How about film study, working out and reading?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Smalltownhog95

Saw that and instantly thought if Sprinkle is good enough I hear our basketball team is a little short handed ;)
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

jry04

Yeah, I agree. Go out there and risk tearing your ACL or breaking your ankle before the season playing a pick up basketball game!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2015, 11:40:21 am

Considering Sprinkle got beat out by a former QB - he needs to work only on football.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HOGGISHABOUTAR

bennyl08

I generally agree with coach on the subject. However, to play a little devil's advocate, can you not tear an acl or sprain your ankle going for a jog? Or better question since the answer to the first one is pretty obvious, what is the odds of getting a good injury jogging vs playing some basketball or tennis or whatever? I mean, the box jumps that we see the videos of can cause compound fractures, meniscus and acl tears etc...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SultanofSwine

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 11, 2015, 05:04:52 pm
Considering Sprinkle got beat out by a former QB - he needs to work only on football.

A former QB that just got drafted as a TE.

twistitup

(notOM)Rebel123

Your players? How many of your players have reached the NFL?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 11, 2015, 07:47:55 pm
A former QB that just got drafted as a TE.

Point was the new guy had never played the position and he beat him out. Sprinkle has a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to realize his full potential. Derby worked his butt off and beat out Sprinkle. Derby is now getting a chance at the next level based upon his hard work.

Hard work that required him to concentrate on one thing. Sprinkle has to do the same.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

atekido

You want your players to play pickup basketball.................................. you wouldnt last long as a coach lol. unless you want half your team on IR

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I love off-season arguments... When is that countdown to kick-off gonna get up and running...

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?year=2015&month=9&day=3&hour=18&min=0&sec=0&p0=412
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hvsupastar

Quote from: atekido on May 11, 2015, 08:34:11 pm
You want your players to play pickup basketball.................................. you wouldnt last long as a coach lol. unless you want half your team on IR

You sure about that?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 11, 2015, 09:22:55 pm
You sure about that?
Hey, you never answered my question about what your attitude would be if Sprinkle got hurt playing pickup bb. In other words, why take the chance?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 11, 2015, 07:47:05 pm
I generally agree with coach on the subject. However, to play a little devil's advocate, can you not tear an acl or sprain your ankle going for a jog? Or better question since the answer to the first one is pretty obvious, what is the odds of getting a good injury jogging vs playing some basketball or tennis or whatever? I mean, the box jumps that we see the videos of can cause compound fractures, meniscus and acl tears etc...

I think the staff understands that freak injuries can occur in any sport, but if they are going to occur they would prefer that it be in the pursuit of getting better at what should be their focus, instead of something else outside of football. One can't be helped sometimes, the other can by avoiding unnecessary participation.
Go Hogs Go!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 11, 2015, 07:17:02 am
haaaa +1... The Nancy Reagan... Good stuff
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

HoggyCat

We had a pretty decent WR/Basketball player that helped beat Texass and BlowU back to back on the hardwood. Maybe some have heard of him. His last name is Monk.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HoggyCat on May 12, 2015, 12:03:04 pm
We had a pretty decent WR/Basketball player that helped beat Texass and BlowU back to back on the hardwood. Maybe some have heard of him. His last name is Monk.

We aren't talking about playing for the hogs on the basketball court.  We're talking about a pick up game.

presidenthog

I'm curious if the book he is telling him to read is the playbook. would make sense if that is why he wants him to read a book rather than go do physical exercise to help stay fit while they are not meeting.

PorkRinds

Quote from: presidenthog on May 12, 2015, 12:14:06 pm
I'm curious if the book he is telling him to read is the playbook. would make sense if that is why he wants him to read a book rather than go do physical exercise to help stay fit while they are not meeting.

He can stay fit while they are not meeting by going to the work out facility and doing his workouts.  I think it was more like an overall "find something better to do that won't get you hurt" kind of suggestion.  The playbook would be a great option though,

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on May 12, 2015, 12:14:06 pm

Nope, he told all of his players to read "Fearless" about Adam Brown by Eric Blehm.

@BretBielema: Handed out to our players tonight summer break reading assignment. Thank you to Adam Brown parents for sharing! #WPS http://t.co/QOM9ptSU3Q