Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Old Time, Ft. Smith Wrestling

Started by BassinHawg, February 01, 2007, 12:50:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BassinHawg

February 01, 2007, 12:50:02 am Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 01:28:06 am by BassinHawg
Reading through some of these threads brought back some old memories of when my dad would take to the wrestling matches on Wednesday night in Ft. Smith.  It was in some old building downtown on Towson Ave.

I was just wondering if anybody else went to these and can remember any other names other than the ones I am listing:

(spelling don't count)

Leroy McGuirk - Promoter
Danny Hodge
Tom Jones
Jack Brisco
Dr. X
The Spoiler
Bruiser Bob Sweetan
Dick Murdoch
Yellowbelly Buck Robely
Scandar Akbar
Ivan Putski
Igor Putski
Porkchops Cash
Cowboy Bill Watts
Sputnik Monroe
Killer Karl Krupp
Wahoo McDaniel
Dandy Jack Donovan

I will try to think of more that I saw in Ft. Smith.

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

gregasaurausrex

Scandar Akbar was on Memphis tv about a little over a year ago and was in Jerry Lawler's corner in a couple of matches.

I hear great things about Danny Hodge.

Jack Brisco has his own messageboard. I have to look up the address.

There were several Spoilers.  I remember mostly the Memphis version of the Spoiler not the original.

Bob Sweeten I have not seen much of him.

Dick Murdoch.Captain Redneck.He died of a stroke.don't remember the year.

Ivan Putski I remember.

Bill Watts.have seen very little of him.

Porkchop Cash. Fondest memory was when he was in Lawler's army back in the 70s. had a good tag team with Rocky "The Soulman" Johnson. also tagged with Troy Graham as the Bruise Brothers with Jimmy Hart as Manager. He was a huge draw at a legends card in Batesville Mississippi last July.

Sputnik Monroe is a huge legend in Memphis . Up there with Jerry Lawler and Jackie Fargo. contributed to civil rights. died last year.

Killer Karl Krup, classic German heel.

I remember Wahoo Mcdaniel.played in the NFL.He was an Indian wrestler. He died but don't remember the year.

Check out my Memphis wrestling group at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mempho

scarohr

Quote from: BassinHawg on February 01, 2007, 12:50:02 am
Reading through some of these threads brought back some old memories of when my dad would take to the wrestling matches on Wednesday night in Ft. Smith.  It was in some old building downtown on Towson Ave.

I was just wondering if anybody else went to these and can remember any other names other than the ones I am listing:

(spelling don't count)

Leroy McGuirk - Promoter
Danny Hodge
Tom Jones
Jack Brisco
Dr. X
The Spoiler
Bruiser Bob Sweetan
Dick Murdoch
Yellowbelly Buck Robely
Scandar Akbar
Ivan Putski
Igor Putski
Porkchops Cash
Cowboy Bill Watts
Sputnik Monroe
Killer Karl Krupp
Wahoo McDaniel
Dandy Jack Donovan

I will try to think of more that I saw in Ft. Smith.

I USE TO GO WITH MY DAD AND BROTHER.  I THOUGHT IT WAS THE OLD SALVATION ARMY BUILDING DOWNTOWN.

COWBOY BILL ASH
COCO BEWARE
ICEMAN KING PARSONS
THE VON ERIKS WRESTLE HERE
DR DEATH STEVE WILLIAMS
HACKSAW (EARLY YEARS)
TED DIBIASE (BEFORE MILLIONAIRE STATUS)
JYD (THUMP)
BUTCH REED
MAGNUM TA (EARLY YEARS I THINK)

gregasaurausrex

COWBOY BILL ASH.Wrestled some in Memphis in 70s.Don't remember him much.
COCO BEWARE Koko Ware. Met him backstage at Midsouth Coliseum 3 years ago. He still wrestles.  Feuded with Corey Maclin the promotor last year.He overcame a stroke and last Frankie in a house fire.
ICEMAN KING PARSONS. Was on Memphis wrestling a few months ago.
THE VON ERIKS WRESTLE HERE.sad story.
DR DEATH STEVE WILLIAMS.Last I heard he was wrestling in Japan.
HACKSAW (EARLY YEARS)He was way better back then. He got caught in a car smoking a joint with the Iron Sheik by the Police when they were feuding in the WWF.
TED DIBIASE (BEFORE MILLIONAIRE STATUS).He is now a preacher.Remember him on Georgia wrestling.
JYD (THUMP).He died in an auto accident.Saw him before he was JYD back in the 70s in Memphis.never realised that the JYD was him.Remembered him mostly on Georgia wrestling feuding with the Freebirds via clip from new orleans.
BUTCH REED.remember him from Georgia.
MAGNUM TA (EARLY YEARS I THINK)Just from his TBS days.
Check out my Memphis wrestling group at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mempho

hydrophonic

Looking at the roster and noting that Leroy McGuirk is mentioned as promoter, this looks like the early days of Mid South Championship Wrestling.  Since Danny Hodge is mentioned, this could be before Bill Watts bought Tri State Wrestling from McGuirk.  Mid South was the first wrestling promotion that I watched, their TV show was on in Little Rock on Saturday mornings.  I think it was on channel 4.

According to Gary Hart, McGuirk contacted Fritz Von Erich and another promoter I can't remember - seems like it was the St.Louis territory - and begged to borrow talent.  Hart says nobody wanted to work Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana, so Hodge was really McGuirk's only established star.

Guys y'all have mentioned that I remember:
JYD - my first "favorite wrestler."  I still vividly remember his feud with DiBiase (Wrestling Observer "Feud of the Year" for 1982).  The feud came to a close with a tag match - DiBiase & Jim Duggan v JYD & Mr. Wrestling II - where the guy who took the fall had to leave town for 90 days.  JYD took the fall.  Within a couple of weeks a new masked wrestler named Stagger Lee appeared on the scene with a familiar build and move set.  Those were the days....

DiBiase - Those that only saw him in WWF really missed out, this guy was GOLD in Mid South.  In addition to his feud with JYD, his feud with Duggan was Wrestling Observer "Feud of the Year" for 1984.  DiBiase's incredible face turn in 1985 is considered by some to be the greatest wrestling angle of all time.

Skandar Akbar is the only manager I remember in Mid South, though I'm sure there were some others.  Akbar was the first I ever saw use the "fireball" gimmick.  Even though he was a one trick pony, he had the right gimmick at the right time and had an INCREDIBLE amount of heat.

Dr. Death Steve Williams was somebody I liked in Mid South, but he had his greatest success after MS and UWF folded.

I remember Parsons and the Von Erichs in World Class, and Wahoo McDaniel in the early days of WCW when Crockett took over the Saturday night show on TBS.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

BumpieJohnson

I grow up on the Mid South my fav was Mr. Wrestling number 2

TR1

hogheat1

i met bill watts last year in tulsa. he is in good health,but is out of wrestling all together. he gets no credit for keeping wcw afloat before bischoff took over

maniax22bolts20

Quote from: hogheat1 on February 03, 2007, 09:28:28 pm
i met bill watts last year in Tulsa. he is in good health,but is out of wrestling all together. he gets no credit for keeping wcw afloat before bischoff took over
He had a book released last year I believe. The Diaper Match 3 way tag team and his rightful humbling of Jim Coronette might be the biggest event in Barton Coliseum history. They turned people away from the gates by the droves because it was already full.