Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis' 8/9 Column

Started by club monaco, August 09, 2005, 08:10:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

club monaco

Does this mean FL is back in the picture for Mitch and now possibly Norman?

OKhogfan1959

I didn't take it what way..I took it that Williams and Cleveland had bought into a bunch of BS...Meyer doesn't throw the ball anymore than Nutt when Nutt has the QB...

pgmhawg

great article, otis. it just proves a lot of points, i hope Ben and Damien get a chance to read it.

Boared

Quote from: OKhogfan1959 on August 09, 2005, 08:38:44 am
I didn't take it what way..I took it that Williams and Cleveland had bought into a bunch of BS...Meyer doesn't throw the ball anymore than Nutt when Nutt has the QB...

That's what I took away from it as well. Whether you agree w/ Otis or not, at least stats were used to back up his point.

club monaco

I just remember the last time Otis devoted that much column space to breaking down passing stats was when TX was the rumored leader for Mitch. He also threw some line in there about hearing something about MM and Norman going to FL. Maybe I read too much into it. Coffee had not kicked in yet.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Boared on August 09, 2005, 08:42:57 am
Whether you agree w/ Otis or not, at least stats were used to back up his point.

EXACTLY... I thought this was an excellent article simply because he backed up what he was saying.  and yes, he was calling Urban Meyer a piece of darn.  it's amazing the lies that take place with college coaching.  if you've got to cheat, lie, and steal to be the best, then screw it....  I'll keep on doing what I know is right and watch you go down when the NCAA comes knockin' ;)
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

club monaco

Utah's average margin of victory was 26 points. They won 5 games by 30+ points. You cannot tell me that in most of those games the offense was not shut down in the 4th quarter of those games.

Jim Harris

Quote from: pgmhawg on August 09, 2005, 08:40:19 am
great article, otis. it just proves a lot of points, i hope Ben and Damien get a chance to read it.

great article? Hell, Houston Nutt should have just put his own byline on it.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: club monaco on August 09, 2005, 09:19:21 am
Utah's average margin of victory was 26 points. They won 5 games by 30+ points. You cannot tell me that in most of those games the offense was not shut down in the 4th quarter of those games.

yea, and you can't tell me that their offense would've had near as much success they had if they were in the SEC.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Jim Harris

Quote from: HoopHog on August 09, 2005, 08:57:00 am
Quote from: club monaco on August 09, 2005, 08:52:16 am
I just remember the last time Otis devoted that much column space to breaking down passing stats was when TX was the rumored leader for Mitch. He also threw some line in there about hearing something about MM and Norman going to FL. Maybe I read too much into it. Coffee had not kicked in yet.

He isn't talking about another school, just using other schools as a basis of comparrison to highlight the fact that their is a hole heaping pile of bull being tossed around out there!

you're right, there is a whole bunch of buillshit out there, but this column spelled out to me the desparation Nutt is feeling right now, particularly with the way the last paragraph reads. Otis is left pleading the case at the end.

I tell you, this whole recruiting darn for the past 25 years or whatever it is I've watched it closely has finally hit a point that I (almost) don't care anymore. THey were lying like crap about Hatfield when he was trying to recruit back in the day, the guy hadn't even coached an Arkansas game yet, had the most wide open attack going at airforce, and (I am going to be banned, because I use profanity) were telling Keith Jackson he'd never get thrown the ball at Arkansas but would at Oklahoma. Yeah, that made a lot of sense, they had Marcus Dupree at the time and a horde of other backs, all who were probably promised 40 carries a game, but they were going to throw the ball 10 times to the [CENSORED] tight end? bull darn. And, what happened. Even though OU was in the I when Jackson was recruited, it was back to the wishbone, where they threw to him four times a game.
Current day: If we had a Joe Dean Davenport, we'd throw to him. That was proven. We have Jared Hicks, basically a lineman. we had Peters, and we threw to him. And when he was a junior against Kentucky, he dropped four passes that probably were the difference in that game. What's Nutt to do, just keep running plays to the tight end until he catches it? Could Heath afford to let selfish Olu come down court and shoot 20 times until he finally hit a 3? The selfishness of these kids is enough to drive anyone else crazy. The stupidity of these kids and what they will believe and won't believe has to be driving the coaches crazy. Hell, Nutt, for gosh sakes, was lied to by Broyles when he was choosing between Arkansas and Alabama. Broyles promised him a wide open passing game like Joe Ferguson had, and yet he had to spend  his first year, under Broyles and the gosh-awful Bob Gatlin as recruiting coordinator, running the veer, which of courzse Holtz swore by and kept at Arkansas when he took over during Nutt's sophomore year.
So much for truth in recruiting.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Swino

Correct, Monaco.  The stats Otis posted are BS all the way around.  Otis did a very nice job of posting information that suited his homer article.  I thought that this article really damages Otis' reputation and objectivity as a journalist.  He is a sunshine pumper, but hey, we already knew that.  However, it is now crystal clear that he will pad any number, say anything, in order to make HDN and the U of A look good.  Ugh.

Facts are that Stoerner changed about 60% if HDN's called plays, so the stat about how much the razorbacks passed is useless in this argument.  The fact that the Hogs were being drummed so bad and HAD to go to the air in several of our losses skewed our passing stats WAY up. 

Ole Leotis is quick to point out that HDN had to change the way he called plays because of Jones, but lets not forget that HDN did everything possible to get anybody else to play QB.  The passing attack didn't come out then either.

Fact:  Utah ran the ball so much because of so many big leads that they sat on and Arkansas padded its passing stats by playing catch up in a number of blowouts.  Otis made the very firm statement in this article that he is loyal to HDN.  To the homers, this is a great article.  To the haters, this is an atrocity.  To the people in the middle like me who desire info raw so we can make up our own minds, it is disturbing.  Disturbing because we now HAVE to discount every single thing Leotis says.

Donald Miller

Quote from: Swino on August 09, 2005, 09:36:29 am

Correct, Monaco. The stats Otis posted are BS all the way around. Otis did a very nice job of posting information that suited his homer article. I thought that this article really damages Otis' reputation and objectivity as a journalist. He is a sunshine pumper, but hey, we already knew that. However, it is now crystal clear that he will pad any number, say anything, in order to make HDN and the U of A look good. Ugh.

Facts are that Stoerner changed about 60% if HDN's called plays, so the stat about how much the razorbacks passed is useless in this argument. The fact that the Hogs were being drummed so bad and HAD to go to the air in several of our losses skewed our passing stats WAY up.

Ole Leotis is quick to point out that HDN had to change the way he called plays because of Jones, but lets not forget that HDN did everything possible to get anybody else to play QB. The passing attack didn't come out then either.

Fact: Utah ran the ball so much because of so many big leads that they sat on and Arkansas padded its passing stats by playing catch up in a number of blowouts. Otis made the very firm statement in this article that he is loyal to HDN. To the homers, this is a great article. To the haters, this is an atrocity. To the people in the middle like me who desire info raw so we can make up our own minds, it is disturbing. Disturbing because we now HAVE to discount every single thing Leotis says.

It's embarrassing to read.  The entire time I was reading it I was trying to decide who his projected audience was.  I guess Otis feels it's his duty to get the "Truth" out so we don't lose any more recruits because of misinformation?  I'd say if we have to rely on him to convince our fans and recruits about the Hogs, then we're in big trouble.

CarolinaHog1176

Facts are that Stoerner changed about 60% if HDN's called plays, so the stat about how much the razorbacks passed is useless in this argument.

WHAT?  you think that our team's success came from Stoerner changing all of the plays?  WHAT A LOAD OF darn.  there is such a thing as an "audible", but if Stoerner was so good at calling his own plays, why did we go 4-7 the two years before Nutt took the job?

Otis made the very firm statement in this article that he is loyal to HDN.

HIS FIRM STATEMENT WAS FOR OUR PROGRAM, PERIOD.  he finds out about a bad recruiting practice going on and has the power to actually do something about before it's all said and done and all you can do is call him a homer?  let me ask you a question.. .where's your home?  'cause it sure as hell isn't the razorbacks.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Donald Miller

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on August 09, 2005, 09:57:05 am
Facts are that Stoerner changed about 60% if HDN's called plays, so the stat about how much the razorbacks passed is useless in this argument.

WHAT? you think that our team's success came from Stoerner changing all of the plays? WHAT A LOAD OF Shoot. there is such a thing as an "audible", but if Stoerner was so good at calling his own plays, why did we go 4-7 the two years before Nutt took the job?

Otis made the very firm statement in this article that he is loyal to HDN.

HIS FIRM STATEMENT WAS FOR OUR PROGRAM, PERIOD. he finds out about a bad recruiting practice going on and has the power to actually do something about before it's all said and done and all you can do is call him a homer? let me ask you a question.. .where's your home? 'cause it sure as hell isn't the razorbacks.

Lighten up Francis.

Jim Harris

if Stoerner was so good at calling his own plays, why did we go 4-7 the two years before Nutt took the job?

Pardon me for butting in but, Why? Because the offensive line was a sieve the one year Stoener was starting quarterback, 1997, and there were no running backs outside of the game Rod Stinson that season. We had the most weapons  we've ever had together in one season in 1998-99. That's why we won 9 and 8 games those years.

As a freshman and with just one year of quarterbacking in high schooo, he backed up Pete Burks in 1996, the other 4-7 year, btw.

Swino

Quote from: drakehog on August 09, 2005, 10:04:10 am

if Stoerner was so good at calling his own plays, why did we go 4-7 the two years before Nutt took the job?

Pardon me for butting in but, Why? Because the offensive line was a sieve the one year Stoener was starting quarterback, 1997, and there were no running backs outside of the game Rod Stinson that season. We had the most weapons  we've ever had together in one season in 1998-99. That's why we won 9 and 8 games those years.

As a freshman and with just one year of quarterbacking in high schooo, he backed up Pete Burks in 1996, the other 4-7 year, btw.
Thanks Drake.

CarolinaHog1176

my point is that Otis used his power to try to right a wrong.... which will benefit our program if it's point is taken.  but all Swino wants to do is spin it in the total opposite direction.  WHY?  do you want all of the arkansas kids with D1 talent to leave year after year?  I'm thinking that a fan wants the best for their program, but all you want is to is be anti-program, anti-nutt, anti-otis, anti-anything that tries to make our program look good.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

club monaco

I want a successful program that does not have to rely on a hack like Otis to do any recruiting for us.

Swino

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on August 09, 2005, 10:13:11 am
my point is that Otis used his power to try to right a wrong.... which will benefit our program if it's point is taken. but all Swino wants to do is spin it in the total opposite direction. WHY? do you want all of the Arkansas kids with D1 talent to leave year after year? I'm thinking that a fan wants the best for their program, but all you want is to is be anti-program, anti-nutt, anti-otis, anti-anything that tries to make our program look good.

Power?  Jeebers, let me spell it out for you a little slower.  Otis is a member of the media, he isn't supposed to take sides and print whatever he feels will make the U of A look better.  That is Kevin Trainor's job, and he is employed by the U of A to do so.  Otis works for the Demozette, not the U of A.  Otis' "power" or whatever you want to call it, should be to give information accurately with no agenda.

Since when is wanting information without spin called "spinning".  By your logic, if Otis is "for" the Uof A and wishes to use his wizard like powers for the good of mankind and the U of A and I am spinning his story "in the total opposite direction", then I am evil and hate the U of A and wish for its downfall???  Or something like that.   I want the information that is out there without anybody, including the pumpers and the haters spinning it before I get it.

And your last few lines are nothing but silly and deserve no response.

GorillaJMonsoon

August 09, 2005, 11:47:37 am #19 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:29:00 am by GorillaJMonsoon

Swino

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on August 09, 2005, 11:47:37 am
Facts are that Stoerner changed about 60% if HDN's called plays

Lets see the facts. How did you get this #? What you are saying is that the QB changed the majority of the plays called in by the coaching staff. I'd like to see this backed up and I wont believe it until I see something that backs this up.

Fine, don't believe it.  Just keep on thinking that HDN was calling every one of those plays and that it really is the personnel that is keeping us from running that type of offense again.

Just don't watch TCU or Louisville play if you truly don't want to believe it.

Bomis Hawg

August 09, 2005, 11:59:45 am #21 Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 12:31:48 pm by Bomis Hawg
For all of those who don't think Urban Meyer do much with the passing game, you're all wrong -- including the TE.

The fact that the TE didn't catch much last year is the fact that he lost his starter, who was frickin good, from the previous year.  I can't ready Wally's article, or I'm too lazy to go to the Demozette's site to find it.  But, here are some stats for you:

Meyer isn't swayed to one side or the other, its balance.  It's not just a word to hime, I don't think.  His number are usually close to even.  Under Meyer, Ben Moa was a Mackey Award Semifinalist.  He's had duos of WRs his entire career.  Cole Magner/Robert Redd/Charles Sheron -- all of those at BGSU.  At Utah, he had Paris Warren and Steve Savoy, with Travis LaTendresse.  To me, he needs a back that can get him 800-1000 yards (PJ Pope and Joe Allis at BGSU; Brandon Warfield and Marty Johnson at Utah).

After watching his "system" for quite a while, not just passingly, he would like to have a QB that can move (Josh Harris, Omar Jacobs, Alex Smith, and now Chris Leak) out of the pocket and run if needed. He needs a back that'll pull in some yards, get some catches (He did this more at BGSU than Utah; PJ Pope is the mold of that quality) DeShawn Wynn might be that guy or Skyler Thornton.  Also, a good duo that is going to compliment each other with a 3rd role WR.  Andre Caldwell will be the Parris Warren/Robert Redd of this team -- big stats.  Dallas Baker and/or Chad Jackson will be the Steve Savoy/Cole Magner.  I suspect Jackson.  Seems one is usually has a higher YPC but less catches.  Makes sense that Jackson step into that role.  Of course, Florida has 2 or 3 guys that can be that #3 guy.  And, Tate Casey is a very good TE.  He had 8 catches last year, and under Meyer, I'll predict he'll probably double that. 

Meyer's team might be looking at 240 pass; 200 rush.  When people did research on the TE for Meyer, they forget the best one -- Moa.  He finally has someone thats up to his level, and even much better.  Tate Casey will be a stud under Meyer.

PiggoBitttys

August 09, 2005, 12:04:27 pm #22 Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 12:12:57 pm by PiggoBitttys
Bomis, you are right on the TE Moa. He had 366 yards the year before. However, I would like to see the stats when we had Joe Dean at TE.

We didn't exactly have Tony Gonzalez's out there the last couple of years. Peters got close to 250 yards though.

GorillaJMonsoon

August 09, 2005, 12:31:00 pm #23 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:29:19 am by GorillaJMonsoon

pgmhawg

wow, some of you guys amaze the hell out of me. all you ever want to do is downgrade everything about the program, from coaching,players,recruiting, even reporting. i don't give a darn if we go 0-11 i'll still go to every game and get pissed off like the rest of you. but i'll still support our guys. if things piss you off this much about the program, move. bottom line we don't need this negativity right before the season starts. we need to look at the positive points, have faith. because you are the same people when we do the "unheard" of, and have a great season, you'll be back on the bandwagon praising the hogs.

we should'nt let these kids see what the "fans" think about them, cuz belive it or not, they all have internet access and they read this. i know i would rather play hard for fans who supported me rather than downgrade everything i'm trying my damndest to do. 

sorry about the rant but i couldn't hold it in anymore. lets get ready for the season cuz we're just mere weeks away from callin the f'in hogs.
GO HOGS
peace out

Bomis Hawg

Joe Dean had 21 catches for 227 yards and 5 touchdowns his Senior Season.

Jim Harris

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on August 09, 2005, 12:31:00 pm
Swino,

Its not that I dont want to believe it, Im just not going to believe it until I see some proof of it.  Just because you say it doesnt make it so.  I don't think that it is wrong for me to doubt your statement that our QB changed 60% of the plays called by the coaches if you don't show me proof.  If you are going to make a statement like that, then back it up man!  I haven't heard you give any proof other than you heard something on the radio.  did he say 60%, or did you just pull that out of your hat?  Show me some proof and I will listen.  And for the record, I am aware the QBs change plays, but saying that Red changed 60% of coaches plays is a huge number. I dont care about TCU or Louisville, I want you to back up your statement about changing 60% of the plays.

J

why is it that Richard Smith goes to Kansas City, surprises everyone in preseason, gets interviewed by their press up there, and complains about the passing game (and lack of it) he played under in college and how he wasn't used the way he thought he should have been? Why are professional coaches quoted as saying that Arkansas's skill players apparently received the MINIMUM of coaching and played in a scheme that required little of them? Why do people at New Orleans wonder what the hell Boo Williams was doing his two years at Arkansas? Why do people question Matt Jones' apparent work ethic and lackadaisical attitude and all Houston Nutt can say is, to the locals, "Welcome to my world"?

Give me a few minutes and I could really come up with a few juicy examples.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Swino on August 09, 2005, 11:57:28 am
Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on August 09, 2005, 11:47:37 am
Facts are that Stoerner changed about 60% if HDN's called plays

Lets see the facts. How did you get this #? What you are saying is that the QB changed the majority of the plays called in by the coaching staff. I'd like to see this backed up and I wont believe it until I see something that backs this up.

Fine, don't believe it. Just keep on thinking that HDN was calling every one of those plays and that it really is the personnel that is keeping us from running that type of offense again.

Just don't watch TCU or Louisville play if you truly don't want to believe it.

apparently everyone around the country, outside of a bunch of our fans, sees us for what we are: a conservative, pedestrian, try-to-not-lose offense. And while we're at it on how great things were in 1998-99, let's recall just what happened to Nutt after halftime of the Tennessee game, up 21-10, when he apparently darn in his pants. We were down 19-0 to Mississippi State the next week before we even made a move. The blowout losses at Kentucky, Ole Miss and LSU ([CENSORED] 2-8 at the time LSU for gosh sakes) were really impressive offensive shows.

Really, there ought to be a way to, say, suspend the Razorback season for one year and force every Hog fan to watch the rest of the college football teams for a year, then come back the next year and see Arkansas run its offense under Nutt. I wonder what the reaction would be. LSU had an average quarterback and a  bunch of good running backs like Arkansas and still managed to have a great passing attack too under Saban in 2003.

HogFanLR

Quote from: drakehog on August 09, 2005, 02:09:30 pm
apparently everyone around the country, outside of a bunch of our fans, sees us for what we are: a conservative, pedestrian, try-to-not-lose offense.

Are you sure about this.  When I read articles from around the country it is about how good HDN does with the talent he has.  I read/heard Saban's recommendation to LSU for HDN included the comment "most prepared of any team he faced"

I think you will take whatever is said right now and use your bias against HDN to color it.  While others may like HDN and do the same.  Best part here is....just watch and see.  There is no arguement (IMO) he matched his offense to MJ ability.  Now lets see if does more with a better throwing QB, either this year or next with MM.  (hope)  This settles itself in time.

Jim Harris

August 09, 2005, 02:41:34 pm #29 Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 02:46:13 pm by drakehog
Quote from: HogFanLR on August 09, 2005, 02:21:15 pm
Quote from: drakehog on August 09, 2005, 02:09:30 pm
apparently everyone around the country, outside of a bunch of our fans, sees us for what we are: a conservative, pedestrian, try-to-not-lose offense.

Are you sure about this.  When I read articles from around the country it is about how good HDN does with the talent he has.  I read/heard Saban's recommendation to LSU for HDN included the comment "most prepared of any team he faced"

I think you will take whatever is said right now and use your bias against HDN to color it.  While others may like HDN and do the same.  Best part here is....just watch and see.  There is no arguement (IMO) he matched his offense to MJ ability.  Now lets see if does more with a better throwing QB, either this year or next with MM.  (hope)  This settles itself in time.

Saban beat Houston Nutt 55-24 and 43-14 the last two times they played. How can anybody take those Saban comments seriously?
Also, they share the same agent. That means something in the world of big-dollar coaching.
It's like Lou Holtz poo-poohing New Mexico State and how great an offense they had and how much trouble they gave us after we beat their ass 53-10. It's coachspeak. The only preparation problem Saban had for Nutt and Arkansas was getting his team fired up for the game after they'd seen our films against Ole Miss and Mississippi State.
To answer your first question (that lacks a question mark but sounds like a question), yes, I'm sure about this.
Also, to any of you who feel like this poster, I don't have some hateful bias against Nutt. I didn't think he was qualified for the job in 1997 but I accepted the decision and he certainly made Arkansas football seasons bearable again in seasons 1 and 2. I think he's sold a lot of folks a bill of goods the past seven years, though. I think he'd make a good replacement for Bernie Cox at Central or Steve Roberts at ASU or even Rich Brooks at Kentucky. I don't hate him personally, though I think he tends to spew a lot of bovine hockey. I just think he's a weak recruiter given the advantages he has now, he's indecisive and unorganized, he can't tell people the truth. I believe smart high school quarterbacks tend to see through his b.s., and that's why he's had trouble recruiting them, and why Mitch Mustain hasn't told folks months ago that he'd be a Hog. I think he's got enough skill and knowledge as a coach to get a team fired up and keep a game close, but he falls well short in innovation (Frank Broyles, on the other hand, was innovative). He's an average coach in a league that requires great coaching for a program to rise to the top. He's done all he can do here. I believe there are coaches who can take Arkansas higher.
So forget this idea about any bias against HDN or how I might color it. I'm offering an opinion, an opinion that I have written elsewhere.
Lastly, and sorry for the diatribe, but you point out the interest comment of "how good HDN does with the talent he has." That's a cop out. After eight years, the talent level should be much greater, but instead even the best players in state, with the exception of a few, are leaving. I'm just not in to having a competitive program that played some of the better teams close and lost and managed to keep it close most games, or go 6-5 for the season, with far less talent. If you read Sporting News' preseason mag, you'll note the unnamed SEC coach who pointed out the same thing, that Nutt is held in high regard for getting more out of less, but why after eight years does he still have less.

AUSTXHOG

Quote from: pgmhawg on August 09, 2005, 12:32:38 pm
wow, some of you guys amaze the hell out of me. all you ever want to do is downgrade everything about the program, from coaching,players,recruiting, even reporting. i don't give a Shiite if we go 0-11 i'll still go to every game and get pissed off like the rest of you. but i'll still support our guys. if things piss you off this much about the program, move. bottom line we don't need this negativity right before the season starts. we need to look at the positive points, have faith. because you are the same people when we do the "unheard" of, and have a great season, you'll be back on the bandwagon praising the hogs.

we should'nt let these kids see what the "fans" think about them, cuz belive it or not, they all have internet access and they read this. i know i would rather play hard for fans who supported me rather than downgrade everything i'm trying my damndest to do.

sorry about the rant but i couldn't hold it in anymore. lets get ready for the season cuz we're just mere weeks away from callin the f'in hogs.
GO HOGS
peace out
Excellent point pgmhawg!  Who cares.....practice has started... a new season!!  Put aside the negativity until after game 1.  I might start ranting then.  ; )

pioneerhog

I know one thing, I am ready for Mustain to commit, weather he comes here or goes elsewhere, and maybe when he does it will stop all this fighting and arguing between each other over a stupid article that Otis wrote. Was it a good article, I don't know I haven't read it and I don't care too but I don't think it is worth all of us arguing like a bunch of Jr high kids.

Swino

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 09, 2005, 04:09:29 pm
I know one thing, I am ready for Mustain to commit, weather he comes here or goes elsewhere, and maybe when he does it will stop all this fighting and arguing between each other over a stupid article that Otis wrote. Was it a good article, I don't know I haven't read it and I don't care too but I don't think it is worth all of us arguing like a bunch of Jr high kids.

Oh yeah?  Well your fat! :D

pioneerhog

Quote from: Swino on August 09, 2005, 04:14:30 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on August 09, 2005, 04:09:29 pm

Oh yeah? Well your fat! :D
HA HA well your wrong there I am 5'10" and around 140lbs, so I am probably actually one of the smallest ones on here, so ha.  ;D

Oklahawg

Any of you guys seen the movie "Pi"? The lead character goes insane trying to find a formula that deciphers the mathematics behind the stock market. Something like that. I am presently hacked into the National Security Agency mainframe computer trying to find out the coded messages HDN has given recruits in Otis' article this AM.

Two possibilities produced so far:
1. Offensive recruits must bring their high school playbooks with them so HDN can be inspired.
2. Someone broke the stick Clint Stoerner used to draw up plays in the huddle; QB recruits should bring their own.

PS. I really didn't hack into the NSA mainframe. :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

This should be the year that HDN proves what he can do with the offense, except for the fact that like 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005, he has been unable to sign the obviously qualified quarterback to play in his offense.  His best quarterback was the one he inherited from Danny Ford.  If you would have told the committee in 1997 this was going to happen, they never would have hired him.  Back then the QB position was a serious sore spot, and they thought they were getting a guy, a former QB, who obviously would be able to find QBs.

Nutt was an offensive coordinator for only a little bit of one season at Oklahoma State.  Why?  He had two winning seasons at Murray State, a 5-6 year at Boise, and boom! he's ready to run an offense and a team in the SEC.  This should be the year of proving something, and if I had any power I'd demand it.  Lack of progress this year should force more staff upgrades, including some of those touchy ones.  Real progress this year should be viewed as a breakthrough.
[CENSORED]!