Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After a recruit commits to a school, do we continue to recruit?

Started by You know me!, August 08, 2005, 11:12:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

You know me!

What is the protocol if and after a recruit verbally commits to another school, do we continue to recruit them?  I know nothing is in stone until the sign the LOI, but do we continue to go after kids that have chosen to elsewhere?  I'm pretty sure we do, but to what extent?

Thanks for the info,

You know me!

8-3, + bowl win.  GHG

jhog

Bomis Hawg

Carnell Williams turned face from Tennessee to Auburn last minute, I believe -- or late in the game.  Can you imagine the swing that would have been looking back?

I think you continue to influence the kid as long as he said point-blank no to everyone.  That can vary on what coaches think and that sort of deal, but definitely worth sticking with as long as you can.

JackJohnson

i know we have gotten hurt far worse with losing commits than gaining them from other places...

committed then lost

AJ Ricker (Mizzou)
Cedric Houston (UT)
Zarnell Fitch (UT)
Charles Silas (South Carolina)
Jimmy Wilkerson (OU)
Bruce Davis (UCLA)
Deangelo Williams (Memphis)
Aaron Scranton (UGA)

Gained from other schools

Mark Pierce (TCU)
Jeremy Harrell (UCLA)

Bomis Hawg

Fitch didn't make at UT.  I think most Arkansas fans were happy when they heard the news of him not making it.  But, now, he's a Senior and probably a starter for TCU this year -- which would have been nice to add for us.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 08, 2005, 11:52:42 am
Fitch didn't make at UT. I think most Arkansas fans were happy when they heard the news of him not making it. But, now, he's a Senior and probably a starter for TCU this year -- which would have been nice to add for us.

Yea, i know about Fitch, as well as Scranton for UGA.  But, i was just coming up with some names...

Bomis Hawg

I am with ya, just throwing a note in there.

There was a Houston recruit couple of years ago, forget his name, that Arkansas got -- Ivory Williams, maybe?  He went to JC, I believe, but they did nab him from Houston.  Kentucky had a RB that see-sawed from Arkansas to Kentucky a couple of times, but I think everyone knew he was a academics casualty anyway.

CarolinaHog1176

it most definitely pays off to keep in contact... what if a school pulls an offer or suddenly backs off because of grades, then the recruit reopens his recruiting and you're on top of the list because you've kept in contact.  I would say that it's unethical to continue to recruit a kid after he's already committed to someone else, but we all know that every recruit that commits to the hogs doesn't hear the last of the phone calls then.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

JackJohnson

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 08, 2005, 12:04:38 pm
I am with ya, just throwing a note in there.

There was a Houston recruit couple of years ago, forget his name, that Arkansas got -- Ivory Williams, maybe? He went to JC, I believe, but they did nab him from Houston. Kentucky had a RB that see-sawed from Arkansas to Kentucky a couple of times, but I think everyone knew he was a academics casualty anyway.

Actually, Ivory Williams was uncommitted when he committed here.  He decommitted and signed with Houston on signing day.  Don't know if he made it there or not ,which is i guess why i forgot about him.

Joe Casey was committed to UK, committed to us, then signed with them (and a JC at the same time i believe).  Unfortanately, he will never play a down of D1 football, and i am not sure if he is even at a JC any longer.

Gosh, can't beleive i forgot about those guys.

Bomis Hawg

I knew that Joe Casey flip-flopped on both schools.  I thought Ivory Williams was commited to Houston first.  Guess I forgot those exact details.  I do remember everyone wondering about him during National Signing Day, on where he'd go.  Don't think Ivory made it to Houston, though.