Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark can never sign a top 10-15 class b/c the media won't rank them that high...

Started by JackJohnson, August 04, 2005, 02:34:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

that is the biggest crock there is going right now!! Why??  Well, the recruits are already ranked, and all you have to do is go out there and get them.  Rivals bases their rankings on how many guys you sign, and what their star ratings are, so if you get those 3, 4, and 5 stars, and avoid to 1 and 2 stars, you will get a top class.

Here is the Arkansas prospects and their rankings with Rivals
5* Mustain
4* Williams, Stuman
3* Webb, Cleveland, Walker, Norman, Hart

That is 8 players with an average star rating of 3.5!!  What that does is give you an excellent base to start from, and when you are only  planning on signing 15-18, then that takes the pressure off of having to go out and sign a bunch from out of state, and instead allows you to focus in on a half a dozen or so studs to fill out your class. 

Take those 8 and add Barnett, who is currently not ranked as they have yet to assign stars ratings to jucos.  Barnett was a 4* out of HS, and has an outside chance at being a 5*.  For the sake of argument, lets just assume he will be a 4*.  Well, then that is 9 guys from in state, with an average star rating of 3.55!!  That my friends, is an excellent start to a dynamite class, all from this little ole state that doesn't produce enough talent to compete!!

Throw in the 3 out of state 3* commits of Gregory, McKinney, and Wilkens, and that is 12 guys with an average star rating of 3.41.  Here is 3 teams comparable to that that finished in the top 15 classes in the country last year.

Iowa was #11 with 23 commits with a 3.22 average
Auburn was #13 with 21 commits with a 3.19 average
Florida was #15 with 18 commits with a 3.39 average.

Say we only sign 18, and the remaining six are 3*, then that gives us a 3.27 average.  That is not counting some of the studs the "gurus" have been talking about that currently have lukewarm interest in us until Mustain decides. 

Yes, this was our year to get that class that we have never gotten, the one that is ranked in everyones top 10, and builds the foundation for that NC under construction, and Nutt is blowing it. 

Sadly, as nice a guy as Nutt is, after 8 years of running on fumes, it is time to move on...

Bomis Hawg

The "NC under construction.." and why everyone bashes it.  No one will say that they aren't going to win a national title or try just to win .500.  And, he never said "In eight years, we'll be winning a national title."

On to recruiting...  There are numerous guys that aren't just luke-warm on the Hogs that are highly recruited.  They land Lance Kendricks and Damian Williams with Mustain?  That's going to be talked about for a while.  Now, you hope to still land those book ends and try get Terrell Reese in there. 

Yes, the Hogs lost two guys from in-state that was needed (Williams and Cleveland).  If Arkansas pulls Andre Smith out from all of the big guys, people will forget Webb.  Until then, it is not a good thing right now.

Recruiting season isn't over.  We'll never change each other's opinion on Nutt, so I'll leave it at that.

JackJohnson

Hoop, not sure you are following.  The basis of my post was saying if we got all the recruits in state.  And go look at Texas' list again, since the 3 stars are out.  They sure aren't having any problem in state.  You are just hurting nutts cause because they are loading up in state, while we are struggling. 

Oh, and you obviously don't keep up much with recruiting if you have never heard otis, dudley, rainwater, shaeffer, barrett or the like in ark media saying that no matter who we get, we won't ever have a top 10 type class.   

Tammany Tom

Quote from: HoopHog on August 04, 2005, 03:35:45 pm
We have many more slots still open and can still fill them with four and possibly five star recruits before it is all said and done.  Mitch Mustain, Andre Smith are both five star recruits and still on the radar for the Hogs.  Chris Brown, Jocque Crawford, Lance Kendricks, Jared Mitchell, Zhamal Thomas, Deantwan Whitehead, Aleric Mullins, Van Stumon are all current four star recruits who have Arkansas still on their list of considerations (and Freddie Barnett was a 4 star prospect his senior year). 

If and when Zhamal Thomas qualifies, he will immediately receive an offer from LSU and he will commit to LSU within 3 days. Take that to the bank.

Andre Smith ain't happening for you guys. According to my information it is between these schools: Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, OU, Tennessee, & USC.  I would love for Big Andre to come to LSU, but I just don't see him leaving the state of Alabama.

Chris Brown is definetly there for the taking for you guys.

Jared Mitchell is definetly in play.

Bomis Hawg

July 14 -- OL Andre Smith: graciously mentions his faith in this update, and that his final dozen school choices are Miami, Florida, Florida St., Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, and Arkansas

That was a good while back, but I found that being his Top 12 per a Georgia recruiting site.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=23342.0

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 04, 2005, 08:23:24 pm
July 14 -- OL Andre Smith: graciously mentions his faith in this update, and that his final dozen school choices are Miami, Florida, Florida St., Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, and Arkansas

That was a good while back, but I found that being his Top 12 per a Georgia recruiting site.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=23342.0

On the Andre Smith issue. This may mean nothing, but I watched "Full Ride" on ESPN and every time he mentioned schools he was interested in, he never once mentioned the Razorbacks even though at the time of taping we had offered already. I don't see this as a good sign for us. I could be wrong but if a player is even REMOTELY considering a school he'll usually mention them off the top of his head. He may just have us listed as a courtesy to his HS coach's buddy at Arkansas. I don't really know, but I do know that I really don't see us getting him. I wish it looked more positive because he is one helluva studly player...

Bomis Hawg

I don't think they will get Andre Smith.  But, as long as the Hogs are in his mentioned list, I'm still going to hope for the best.  Mustain could help lean him over, I think. 

Lionel Mapp is a big mofo... Maybe they can tap more roots in Georgia.  Reshad, Mapp...