Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Cleveland

Started by Boared, July 27, 2005, 09:14:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boared

HI has an odd headline for a story for Ben? Anyone know what's up?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=2013939

The Coletrain

I saw that.  What the heck does a horse have to do with anything?  Or am I just missing something really obvious and is going to make me look very stupid when someone enlightens me?  Here goes . . .
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

CarolinaHog1176

it's possible that his nickname is "horse"... yes?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

OKhogfan1959

well..Not sure if this is alright but he named a top 5 and Arkansas was not in it...What's up with these springdale guys....

Hoggysoprano

Cleveland is not a top notch recruit, he and Norman are the tag alongs in this whole thing,

jhog

Wow..I did not know that Flordia did not recuit top-notch recruits.  ...He maybe they should fire Urban Meyers for not knowing what the hell he is doing signing someone who is not a top notch recurit.

You ill me you jackass!

DOGALUM

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 29, 2005, 10:54:40 am
Cleveland is not a top notch recruit, he and Norman are the tag alongs in this whole thing,
I like you hoggy......but Cleveland is a big time guy.  He doesn't have the stats that other TE's might have (partly because he missed several games last year via a shoulder injury) but he is a rock that has a bright future.  And personally, I'd take Norman over Williams.  6'1" 185 pound speed guys are not hard to find.  And don't get me wrong, I'm a big Williams fan, but I've not seen a receiver who can bring in any pass he can touch like Norman can, in a long time.  He's not got BLAZING speed, but is always open, and catches everything.  Smart player too.  Williams has been known to develope a case of the dropsies from time to time. 

This isn't a post to badmouth Williams, just to say that Cleveland and Norman are both quality guys.  As a matter of fact, of the 5 kids at Springdale, Webb, IMO, is the biggest tag along.  Great technique, but not near as strong as he needs to be.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

CorningHog

I agree Dogalum,

I sure hope we get Norman & of course Mustain!  Williams seems an attitude problem and may be explosive in his sheer athleticism and speed but there are lots of speed guys.  I like what I have seen of Norman.

Webb, what else to say, another attitude type that is very weak for a D1 OL.  Weak, weak, weak.  Could develop, but will not play as a fresh or soph at ND, maybe, just maybe, he can be a good blocking dummy and practice player and after colliding with kids his own size he may in fact develop a taste for the weight room.  I see him getting pounded that first year.

Cleveland, well, not seen much on him, looks the part.  No film on him but again, should be good just seeing Meyer wanting him at Florida!  That speaks volumes to me.  Now, hope the committment thing sticks and Florida doesn't play early numbers game and then get to picking between the Texas, Louisiana & Florida talent that may change their minds as the season wears on.  Hoping Ben gets to fulfill his dream.  Now, I would rather if he is that good, come to Arkansas.

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Chad44

Quote from: CorningHog on July 29, 2005, 01:05:37 pm
Williams seems an attitude problem and may be explosive in his sheer athleticism and speed but there are lots of speed guys. I like what I have seen of Norman.

I've never seen or heard any problems with Williams's attitude.  Why do you say that he seems to have an attitude problem?

Swino

Funny that Cleveland how quickly Cleveland went from our #1 TE recruit to he wasn't that good. 

He just got a free ride to one of the best college football schools in the nation folks, he is good.  Meanwhile, we have converted d-linemen, O-linemen and walk-ons for our TE... yet Cleveland didn't measure up.  Homerism at its worst.

Hogz87

Well it continues, I said all along at least three of the Springdale 5 will not be playing football in Fayetteville and so far two are gone, can't wait to see who's next.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Swino on July 29, 2005, 03:00:55 pm
Funny that Cleveland how quickly Cleveland went from our #1 TE recruit to he wasn't that good.

He just got a free ride to one of the best college football schools in the nation folks, he is good. Meanwhile, we have converted d-linemen, O-linemen and walk-ons for our TE... yet Cleveland didn't measure up. Homerism at its worst.

couldn't have said it better.  not to mention that when the recruiting season started, nutt and vaughn told otis and dudley, who reported it numerous times, that we were going to sign at least 1 TE this year, maybe two.  Of course, now TE isn't going to be a need position, filtered down from the top via the propaganda machine

DOGALUM

He just got a free ride to one of the best college football schools in the nation folks, he is good. Meanwhile, we have converted d-linemen, O-linemen and walk-ons for our TE... yet Cleveland didn't measure up. Homerism at its worst.
Well said Swino!!  Despite the sour grapes feelings lots of people have, make no mistake about Ben Cleveland.  This kid is a top notch guy. 
Plain and simple....Houston dropped the ball on this one.  Don't know that Ben would have gone there anyway, but to have Ben say that Arkansas never recruited him very hard, pisses me off.  He would have been an asset to the Razorback football program!  When you have a kid in your back yard, and he leaves, that's bad enough.  But to hear that we never recruited him that hard is really a kick in the pants.  I guess Houston has a good enough stable of tight ends already on campus.  What am I saying...of course he does.  Just look at the bodacious #'s our TE's put up every year.  We're loaded! 

_Collin1

Lets hold a seminar and get HDN to come....  We'll start off with Bartley Webb and Charlie Weiss.  They will give HDN a lecture on how to recruit from hundreds of miles away...  how to make a 17/18 year old kid feel welcome and that he can succeed.  We'll make an outline in PowerPoint for HDN to use on Norman, Mustain and Williams.

Next, Ben Cleveland will come in with Urban Meyer and tell him how to recruit kids from other SEC schools backyards.  Urban can throw in some tips also about having an undefeated season and how to run an offense.  We can add a PART 2 to the powerpoint presentation for HDN.

Stamped by JFB, Houston can then take this Powerpoint to living rooms across America and learn to recruit at least a top 6 SEC class.  Hell, then maybe he can recruit a guy that is 5 interstate exits down.

I'm not an HDN hater...  but we are 0/2 in our backyard.  You people that think this is not a big deal, you need your head checked.  This is embarrassing.  You should be embarrassed for your Hogs.  In 3 years when our team is suffering cause of talent, you can blame HDN for not driving his dealership borrowed Excursion to Sprindale to help our program out.

MY NEW PREDICTION....  0/5 on the recruiting boys.  We wont get any of them.  Williams isnt coming here, thats a given.  Norman will follow Mitch and I am done holding my breath on Mitch.  0/5 posters...  its over.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

CarolinaHog1176

this guy's got us listed HIGH on his list with everybody else low... .not sure who he is, but he's got a pretty impressive list of suitors.

we're also in on several guys who have us listed right in the middle of the pack with everybody else on their list, so you never know... it's a long way to february.  and for all we know, cleveland might've been our #1 TE prospect because of a certain teammate of his?

either way, good luck in florida.  we'll see you in the SEC championship game in a couple of years
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Swino

Quotewe'll see you in the SEC championship game in a couple of years

Who is we?  If you want to go to the SEC championship game and watch a bama/LSU/Auburn play, your going by yourself.

SEvenbridgES81

Quote from: Chad44 on July 29, 2005, 02:48:29 pm
Williams seems an attitude problem and may be explosive in his sheer athleticism and speed but there are lots of speed guys. I like what I have seen of Norman.

I've never seen or heard any problems with Williams's attitude. Why do you say that he seems to have an attitude problem?

He has an attitude problem b/c he's not coming to ARK. and has pretty much hinted it for a while. I talk to the guy everynow and then when i c him out, great guy. NO attitude problem. I first talked to him about goin to the U of A when he was a sophmore and he said he was a big fan he just wanted to go to a passing school.
So Mr. Murphy, will you further your studies in france?

No, I hate Puerto Ricans!(Eddie Murphy, SNL)

OKhogfan1959

July 29, 2005, 05:00:56 pm #17 Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 05:03:47 pm by OKhogfan1959
Dogalum ...I couldn't agree with any post any more than yours...Norman is a catching machine...A Shibest with more speed if you will....Very underrated...Mustain is the real deal...I want Williams badly!!
Cleveland is a great prospect or Florida wouldn't of recruited him..But Nutt and Co. didn't think eh was that great evidently...No problem as long as he gets Mustain and Norman, Williams..If I could get only two I want Mitch and Norman...
Webb is so far behind in the weight room that he might never catch up? Usually if a kid hasn't committed to the weights by his Sr year he won't ever make the full commitment...I am not worried about Webb we are recruiting bigger stronger lineman who are way ahead of his numbers in the weight room...Cleveland won't hurt us as long as Winston develops..And Nutt really throws the ball to the TE's this year..I'll believe it when I see it! I don't blame those two kids for going out of state if Arkansas was not showing them the love that the other schools were...I just ain't worried so much yet?

OKhogfan1959

Why was he at the school today? If he's not somewhat interested? Why would he bother? Not doubting you but it looks like he's interested enough to Check it out...

Quote from: SEvenbridgES81 on July 29, 2005, 04:09:30 pm
Quote from: Chad44 on July 29, 2005, 02:48:29 pm

I've never seen or heard any problems with Williams's attitude. Why do you say that he seems to have an attitude problem?

He has an attitude problem b/c he's not coming to ARK. and has pretty much hinted it for a while. I talk to the guy everynow and then when i c him out, great guy. NO attitude problem. I first talked to him about going to the U of A when he was a sophomore and he said he was a big fan he just wanted to go to a passing school.

Hoggysoprano

It will probably go to by tomorrow that we "were not offering him" if the status quo holds true.

I had heard that Mustain, Webb and Williams were the top three and other two were the "tag alongs". Is this true or not true?

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 29, 2005, 05:04:01 pm

It will probably go to by tomorrow that we "were not offering him" if the status quo holds true.

I had heard that Mustain, Webb and Williams were the top three and other two were the "tag alongs". Is this true or not true?

No, Mustain, Norman and Williams are the top three. That's because they are the only three left. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: drakehog on July 29, 2005, 05:27:21 pm

No, Mustain, Norman and Williams are the top three. That's because they are the only three left. ;D

So those are the only three we "really want". ;D

CorningHog

You "dang" skippy bud!

We surely could do better than Webb and although Cleveland sounds good, I am not sold on him yet!  Will watch to see the whole season play out.

Wiliams, not sure why I said "attitude" problem, just going by the body language he was stating a while back.  Hopefully I was stupid for making that statement.  The prima donna type is what I hope he is not.

Norman and Mustain seem grounded and it looks like there is still a chance to get all 3 of them!

We could see some changes happen down the road!  Who knows!

GO HOGS!!!!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 29, 2005, 05:30:28 pm

Rick Homer Schaeffer pretty well blew that Nutt-hugger theory out now on Drive Time, saying the Hogs definitely wanted Cleveland.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: drakehog on July 29, 2005, 07:18:03 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 29, 2005, 05:30:28 pm

Rick Homer Schaeffer pretty well blew that Nutt-hugger theory out now on Drive Time, saying the Hogs definitely wanted Cleveland.

His marching ordes must of been intercepted before they got to him. ;D

WindyCityHog

The spin is getting to me....Football season can't begin soon enough.

This recruiting season....you would think it was October....0-fer...

Try as I might...I can't let HDN off the hook for this one.....The Hogs weren't even in Cleveland's top 5....so he says.

Chicken Little.....what are his combine numbers?

DOGALUM

Very nice hogmommy.....very nice.    :D