Jeff Long

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is he the man for the AD job at Arkansas

Yes , And needs to keep Bret B.
72 (14.3%)
Yes, just needs to hire a new head coach
103 (20.5%)
No, he is on a seperate page from the fanbase,hire someone new.
327 (65.1%)

Total Members Voted: 501

Hogs-n-Roses

September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:17:57 pm by Hogs-n-Roses
I voted #3 as he has a 29-43 record in the SEC and I think he's the wrong person for the job in other ways. Such as the constant pumping up of the grades and graduation rates like they are as important as winning games and not being embarrassed regularly.I think the grades and graduation issues are important but as long as we're within NCAA limitations,I'm fine. For example. In all the years and games I went to I never looked down there and said" Boy ole #73 has a 3.99 overall GPA" WOW, I'm proud of that. If he has a 2.6 and is wrecking backfields from the DT spot, I'm just fine.

Hogs-n-Roses

So in a 20+ hour period 130 folks looked at the poll. 19 voted and 18 of them felt like Long needed to go.94%

yraciv

High graduation rates, successful programs across the board, impressive facility growth, and respect of his colleagues across the country.  The football program may have things to work out, but that is a small part of who an AD is. Jeff Long has been and will continue to be an excellent man for the job!

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-earn-top-20-directors-cup-finish/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-ad-wins-national-award/

Joe_Shmo

Quote from: yraciv on September 11, 2017, 09:36:55 am
High graduation rates, successful programs across the board, impressive facility growth, and respect of his colleagues across the country.  The football program may have things to work out, but that is a small part of who an AD is. Jeff Long has been and will continue to be an excellent man for the job!

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-ad-wins-national-award/

Ya but Jeff Long hasn't done a good job recruiting OL and DB!! 

hawgon

Sounds real impressive until you realize 8 SEC schools finished in the Top 25 of the Directors Cup and at 20, Arkansas was still 6th in the SEC.  And, of course, the best AD award is from two years ago and the main accomplishments listed in the write up were serving on the playoff committee, firing Petrino, and hiring Bielema.

So, as for the Directors' Cup, his performance is right in line with any middle of the pack SEC AD.  And as for the other...lol

HardCore

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:47:23 am
Sounds real impressive until you realize 8 SEC schools finished in the Top 25 of the Directors Cup and at 20, Arkansas was still 6th in the SEC.  And, of course, the best AD award is from two years ago and the main accomplishments listed in the write up were serving on the playoff committee, firing Petrino, and hiring Bielema.

So, as for the Directors' Cup, his performance is right in line with any middle of the pack SEC AD.  And as for the other...lol

Glad to know he has done so well for himself, destroying my Alma Matter in his process.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Hogs-n-Roses

29-43

Pecos Hog

Jeff Long owes us.   About $11MM to be correct....and, a big apology.   

This one's all on JL.  The jury is in on Bret.   It has not worked out - plain and simple.   And JL didn't even set the bar very high for him to "succeed".     He's lost my confidence that he - by himself - could hire a quality coach that could compete at the SEC level.     This time it has to be a committee of people who know the heck they're doing.     

Hogwild

High graduation rates,

In the ten years he has been here we have been 10th or higher in APR. It is CBB's push for academics is the only thing keeping us from being in the cellar.

Großer Kriegschwein

Got no issues with Long, per se. However, the extension and buyout were suspect when they were given. It wasn't a sound business decision based on performance.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hogs-n-Roses

30+ hrs. 509 views and 76% still a No for Long. No comments necessary Hogvillians just vote anonymously.

Kevin

hired coached smile
hired cbb to a no fire contract due to the buyout
hired a terrible softball coach, who he had to fire
hired dykes to coach wbb, a disaster

has lowered the expectations of our football team.
is only concerned with furthering his integrity image
loves to loved by his peers

fire him, replace him with someone who wants teams to win, not just participate
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

The real Hogules

Another winner of a statement from our A.D. - "Yes, winning is important," he said. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.

"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered.

http://hitthatline.com/long-in-lr-arkansas-not-win-at-all-cost-program/
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

EastexHawg

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 12, 2017, 08:38:54 am
Another winner of a statement from our A.D. - "Yes, winning is important," he said. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.

"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered.

The self promoter acts as if he has changed something.  What is he talking about?  We have never, under any athletic director or head coach in my lifetime, been a "win at all costs" program.  We used to be a "win" program, so I guess I should admit that Long has changed SOMETHING.

Just go.  Away.  Far away.  The thought of Long hiring the next football coach is even less desirable than keeping Bielema on the job.  We have already seen plenty of his decision making.

And for the 895th time, every athletic department in the SEC makes a profit.  We aren't profitable because Long is doing such a great job managing our money.  We are profitable because the conference passes out massive checks to each member.  The man who made us all that money is Frank Broyles, who moved us to the SEC in the first place.  No one...Long, me, you, a monkey on a leash...could lose money at Arkansas no matter how hard he tried, and goodness knows Long is in the process of testing that truth.

jgphillips3

Jeff Long was fine when he had Petrino.  Good coaches make AD's look good.  Now, my confidence in him hiring the right guy is shaky, but if he did, Long is a decent administrator.

Kevin

question for mr long:

does he believe people will keep contributing to the foundation, buying tickets, and buying advertising, for him to go out and sell the program on APR, GPA, & Graduation rates, with mediocre on field results.

Arkansas Razorback Football is a participation sport
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

RME

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 11, 2017, 09:55:22 am
29-43

Didn't know Long coached the team. Dude has an impressive resume if that's the case.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2017, 08:52:10 am
The self promoter acts as if he has changed something.  What is he talking about?  We have never, under any athletic director or head coach in my lifetime, been a "win at all costs" program.  We used to be a "win" program, so I guess I should admit that Long has changed SOMETHING.

Just go.  Away.  Far away.  The thought of Long hiring the next football coach is even less desirable than keeping Bielema on the job.  We have already seen plenty of his decision making.

And for the 895th time, every athletic department in the SEC makes a profit.  We aren't profitable because Long is doing such a great job managing our money.  We are profitable because the conference passes out massive checks to each member.  The man who made us all that money is Frank Broyles, who moved us to the SEC in the first place.  No one...Long, me, you, a monkey on a leash...could lose money at Arkansas no matter how hard he tried, and goodness knows Long is in the process of testing that truth.

right on

hogcard1964

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 12, 2017, 08:54:27 am
Jeff Long was fine when he had Petrino.  Good coaches make AD's look good.  Now, my confidence in him hiring the right guy is shaky, but if he did, Long is a decent administrator.

The PTB need to remove him from all football related personnel decisions going forward.

DoctorSusscrofa

Most fans are pure 100% idiots.  Long just needs to recognize that BB is losing the fans and it's time to make a change. There's no need to panic or bulldoze the entire athletic department. Yet.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Nafunu32

Years ago, I had an athletic scholarship to play football at Henderson State, or to go to other schools on academic scholarships. I chose academics because I felt that I didn't have a career in the NFL. A lot of these college football players don't have the option of an academic scholarship. They also feel that playing for a D1 SEC school, they have a shot at the NFL. Obviously, academics is important... but I believe that starting on Saturdays, and ultimately, playing in the NFL is higher on their priority list. As long as our players are passing their classes, I could care less if they are making Cs or As. The phrase, "Cs get degrees" comes to mind.

At the end of the day, I prefer a player that is smashing heads and making Cs than a cupcake making As. If they want 4.0 GPAs, focus on that instead of football.

jkstock04

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 12, 2017, 08:38:54 am

http://hitthatline.com/long-in-lr-arkansas-not-win-at-all-cost-program/
Lol wow. Hell of a time to double down on the winning doesn't matter stuff. Wow wow wow.

I miss Frank Broyles. For all his faults...you never would've heard him relate to fans this message that winning doesn't matter or is secondary. Especially the day or so after a terrible loss at home.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 11, 2017, 08:54:05 pm
hired coached smile
hired cbb to a no fire contract due to the buyout
hired a terrible softball coach, who he had to fire
hired dykes to coach wbb, a disaster

has lowered the expectations of our football team.
is only concerned with furthering his integrity image
loves to loved by his peers

fire him, replace him with someone who wants teams to win, not just participate

What took you so long??

I realized that hiring Long was a mistake  when he tried to hire Tommy Bowden and Jim Grobe as Football HC while ignoring Bobby Petrino and then, he was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair.

I'll admit that I gave him high marks for hiring Bret Bielema, he sure fooled me with that one. I really believed Bret would turn things around.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 09:28:24 am
What took you so long??

I realized that hiring Long was a mistake  when he tried to hire Tommy Bowden and Jim Grobe as Football HC while ignoring Bobby Petrino and then, he was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair.

I'll admit that I gave him high marks for hiring Bret Bielema, he sure fooled me with that one. I really believed Bret would turn things around.

all this academic crap. the hypocrisy of it. if he wants to be an ad in the patriot or ivy league then go. but he will not because of money & all the prestige he gets from his peers. this is all about him.

Marshfieldhog

Bret was never going to work, there are just not enough high schools playing smash mouth football. Our recruiting base plays spread football which is why we should have hired Gundy. That hire would have been a much better fit. We are screwed with Bret, he may pull out a bowl game this year but he is never going to be a 10 win coach here. His assistant coach hires are also troubling, he simply does not hire SEC level assistants.

hoglady

The integrity thing with Long may really just be a mirage.
If it's true that he offered a deal to Petrino to stay - then stated in the public press conference he did not offer a deal to Bobby / that just makes him a liar.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on September 12, 2017, 09:45:09 am
If it's true that he offered a deal to Petrino to stay - then stated in the public press conference he did not offer a deal to Bobby / that just makes him a liar.

And they never offer the head coaching job to but one person, lol.

Kevin

I will go one step further, I think long probably knew about petrino's extra curricular activity

lefty08

You guys do pretty well with this hindsight thing. Bielema was a homerun hire when the hire was made. It hasnt worked out for sure, but Long no doubt made a good hire at the time. He is also really good at his job, which involves much more than hiring football coaches. This is a dumb thread
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

gchamblee

Quote from: Kevin on September 12, 2017, 09:47:40 am
I will go one step further, I think long probably knew about petrino's extra curricular activity

You didn't read his notes did you. I posted them a few posts up to answer that question for you. You guys can stop speculating if you would just read the notes, but you don't have the attention span to read them. It is easier to act pissed over a Jeff Long lie while defending many Bobby Petrino lies. You guys can see in the notes that he asked Bobby to help him find  way to defend his actions and act like Bobby is the lesser of the 2 evils here.

This thread is an example of how many win at all costs fans we have, and how stupid they are willing to act to justify that position.

Kevin

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 09:58:27 am
You didn't read his notes did you. I posted them a few posts up to answer that question for you. You guys can stop speculating if you would just read the notes, but you don't have the attention span to read them. It is easier to act pissed over a Jeff Long lie while defending many Bobby Petrino lies. You guys can see in the notes that he asked Bobby to help him find  way to defend his actions and act like Bobby is the lesser of the 2 evils here.

This thread is an example of how many win at all costs fans we have, and how stupid they are willing to act to justify that position.

what notes

EastexHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 09:55:30 am
You guys do pretty well with this hindsight thing. Bielema was a homerun hire when the hire was made. It hasnt worked out for sure, but Long no doubt made a good hire at the time. He is also really good at his job, which involves much more than hiring football coaches. This is a dumb thread

Arkansas joined the SEC in 1992.  Our first four head coaches were for the most part smashmouth coaches and during our first 16 seasons we never once made it to a BCS bowl or finished higher than 15th in the polls.  Some of us said for years that we COULD be a better program than we appeared to be, that we merely needed a better coach and the right approach, as in right for Arkansas.  We hired that coach in 2008 and by the end of 2011 we had played in the Sugar Bowl and finished in the top five.

It seemed obvious that the winning pattern had been identified.

So what does Long do?  He hires not just A smashmouth coach, but maybe THE smashmouth coach.  Again, a lot of us said at the time that it seemed foolish to try to out-Saban Saban and wondered why we hadn't learned anything from what had just happened. 

Long hired a name, but not the right name for Arkansas.  A sledgehammer can be a useful tool but if you are trying to change the battery in your watch it's not the best choice for the job.  I honestly don't think Long understands Arkansas, the SEC, and what it takes for us to be successful on the field.  That shouldn't surprise anyone, because he apparently didn't comprehend what it would have take at Pitt, either.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Kevin on September 12, 2017, 09:03:42 am
question for mr long:

does he believe people will keep contributing to the foundation, buying tickets, and buying advertising, for him to go out and sell the program on APR, GPA, & Graduation rates, with mediocre on field results.

Arkansas Razorback Football is a participation sport

If this is the case we can save a ton of money on a coach who doesn't have to worry about winning.    Hire a coach for $1MM and get a bunch of acedemic counselors with the leftover change.   

Kevin

I find it hard to believe with them meeting in the car, & she going to razorback club meetings, that people in the department did not know what was going on

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:27:08 am
Got no issues with Long, per se. However, the extension and buyout were suspect when they were given. It wasn't a sound business decision based on performance.

That was done specifically to assure BB he would have 8 years to get his program up and running.  Reason I believe this: no one in their right mind is going to fire a coach at Arkansas and give him $15 mil, $8 Mil, or even $4 Mil just to walk away.

Was never a Long enthusiast from the start but BB's last contract finished it with Long for me.  Just an asinine piece of business by an AD for a coach who had not proven anything athletically in the SEC, and that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

2020 is well into the future, (the last year of BB's contract) and if the fan dissatisfaction gets anywhere near the HDN years Long's future at Arkansas could become tenuous as well.  I certainly think it will get worse now that the media is fanning the "fan dissatisfaction" flames after the TCU game.

If the A&M game ends in a loss, I think BB will be in danger of totally losing the fan base.  We need wins badly.

Tusks

Can someone explain to me what Jeff Long does that is so damn magical.  Tell me something he does that is outside his job description.  Is being competent in what he's getting paid to do all of a sudden makes him a rock star?

He drew up a facilities plan and had the lawyers issue some bonds (borrow money) to pay for it.  He's convinced alumni to help out the athletic department with donations.  Ok, well there were names on the facilities before JL got to the hill so it's not like that was an earth shaking concept.

It's not like the hogs had a bad balance sheet and he had some special financial insight and balanced the budget or found a new line of revenue.  Pro teams have been hitting up fans during the game for years.

Someone tell me what is so great about him, other than doing the job he was hired for.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2017, 10:07:22 am
Arkansas joined the SEC in 1992.  Our first four head coaches were for the most part smashmouth coaches and during our first 16 seasons we never once made it to a BCS bowl or finished higher than 15th in the polls.  Some of us said for years that we COULD be a better program than we appeared to be, that we merely needed a better coach and the right approach, as in right for Arkansas.  We hired that coach in 2008 and by the end of 2011 we had played in the Sugar Bowl and finished in the top five.

It seemed obvious that the winning pattern had been identified.

So what does Long do?  He hires not just A smashmouth coach, but maybe THE smashmouth coach.  Again, a lot of us said at the time that it seemed foolish to try to out-Saban Saban and wondered why we hadn't learned anything from what had just happened. 

Long hired a name, but not the right name for Arkansas.  A sledgehammer can be a useful tool but if you are trying to change the battery in your watch it's not the best choice for the job.  I honestly don't think Long understands Arkansas, the SEC, and what it takes for us to be successful on the field.  That shouldn't surprise anyone, because he apparently didn't comprehend what it would have take at Pitt, either.

Who would you have hired at the time? Let's see if I actually get an answer this time. Every time I ask that question to someone who [CENSORED] about the Bielema hire, I never see a response.

lefty08

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:14:31 am
Who would you have hired at the time? Let's see if I actually get an answer this time. Every time I ask that question to someone who [CENSORED] about the Bielema hire, I never see a response.

Its because Bjelema was a good hire at the time, they just dont want to admit it.mi have no clue why people hate Long short of ignorance. The dude does his job as well as anyone for what he has to work with
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Tusks

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 10:24:54 am
Its because Bjelema was a good hire at the time, they just dont want to admit it.mi have no clue why people hate Long short of ignorance. The dude does his job as well as anyone for what he has to work with

Some of us weren't all that enamored with the hire so don't say everyone agreed. 

Answer my question above, are you too ignorant to come up with something other than his job description?

DoctorSusscrofa

IF is a great word.  If doesn't require you to show fact, it just lets you speculate.  I imagine Long did try to find a way to keep Bobby.  I also imagine Bobby popped off.  When Bobby did that I imagine Long felt there was no way he could keep Bobby. 

BUT - I don't know for sure about all that. 

What I do know is that Bobby got himself into that mess voluntarily. And I do know that Bobby could smart off.  I haven't seen Long behave anywhere near the way Bobby flatly did behave.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

RME

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 10:28:15 am
Some of us weren't all that enamored with the hire so don't say everyone agreed. 

Answer my question above, are you too ignorant to come up with something other than his job description?

Okay, same question to you that I asked Eastex. You clearly weren't enamored, so who was your guy?

Kevin

cbb at the time was a great hire. you just cannot put that kind of contract together.

arkbuck

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 11, 2017, 10:01:08 am
Jeff Long owes us.   About $11MM to be correct....and, a big apology.   

This one's all on JL.  The jury is in on Bret.   It has not worked out - plain and simple.   And JL didn't even set the bar very high for him to "succeed".     He's lost my confidence that he - by himself - could hire a quality coach that could compete at the SEC level.     This time it has to be a committee of people who know the heck they're doing.     

yes yes same committee that hired Houston Dale...

hoghearted

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:14:31 am

Butch Davis wanted the job, never got a look.

It's been said Venables wanted the job, never got a look.

There are countless other up and comers who might have wanted the job, but no one else wrote a handwritten love letter to the AD.

Jeff Long doesn't really care about the everyday fan. His focus has always been on the uber rich donors and corporate sponsors. Oh, and burnishing his image as some icon of 'integrity'.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WOOPIGMAN

GET JERRY JONES IN HERE! LONG LIVE THE COWBOYS AND HOGS! PIG NATION!

Tusks

Mike MacIntyre, Darrell Hazell, P.J. Fleck.

I just didn't like the hire.  Wasn't impressed at all when the nutter blew the game against him and wasn't impressed with his teams winning in a severely watered down Big10.  He's just not that bright.

RME

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 10:36:56 am
Butch Davis wanted the job, never got a look.

It's been said Venables wanted the job, never got a look.

There are countless other up and comers who might have wanted the job, but no one else wrote a handwritten love letter to the AD.

Jeff Long doesn't really care about the everyday fan. His focus has always been on the uber rich donors and corporate sponsors. Oh, and burnishing his image as some icon of 'integrity'.

Butch Davis worked out so well for UNC.

Link to the Venables report? A quick Google search during that whole time period yields nothing.

"Countless other up and comers" aren't names. That's a broad generalization. And more speculation.

hoghearted

Butch Davis is a fine coach, did very well at Miami. UNC has never been known for its football program. And their scandal had nothing to do with him, as he was cleared in the investigation. Try again.

You asked, I answered. Bielema never seemed a good fit for Arkansas to me.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle