Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kids who don't get paid have to answer questions

Started by Next1_04, February 18, 2018, 11:57:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogsanity

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 18, 2018, 11:57:27 am
Why can't the ref's who do get paid have to answer them?

Im sure LakeCity will be here to say this was the best officiated game he has seen.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/watch-bob-huggins-blasts-refs-35-2-free-throw-disparity-loss-kansas/

How are they supposed to answer " why didn't you guys call more fouls on Team X " or " why was the Ft count so lopsided ". If they answer with " well, team Y played a lot tighter D and fouled a lot more " no one is going to buy it.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ballinhog

Anytime you make 5 more field goals and 7 more threes than your opponent and lose, something is wrong

hogsanity

Quote from: ballinhog on February 19, 2018, 09:48:13 am
Anytime you make 5 more field goals and 7 more threes than your opponent and lose, something is wrong

Maybe one team was fouling at the rim alot to prevent layups/dunks?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ballinhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 09:52:00 am
Maybe one team was fouling at the rim alot to prevent layups/dunks?

Possible. I didn't see the game so I can only assume. Not saying they didn't foul a lot. But the way these refs call fouls these days, there's no way Kansas fouled that little

hogsanity

Quote from: ballinhog on February 19, 2018, 10:17:15 am
Possible. I didn't see the game so I can only assume. Not saying they didn't foul a lot. But the way these refs call fouls these days, there's no way Kansas fouled that little

In big12 play WVU averages 23 pf's per game, and got called for 26 Sat including fouling late to stop the clock. Ku averages 17 pf's per game and got called for 14. WVU presses and traps and tries for steals & plays in your face man D. KU does not press alot and does not tend to try to climb in the other teams jersies and they do not go for many steals.

35-2 discrepancy, yea, that's out there but the foul counts were nothing abnormal for either team. 

twistitup

35-2

He's been coach for a looonngg time and he's never seen it - that speaks volumes
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on February 19, 2018, 10:37:06 am
35-2

He's been coach for a looonngg time and he's never seen it - that speaks volumes

When he was at Cincy, people used to complain all the time that his teams got to the line so much more than their opponents.

twistitup

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 10:43:43 am
When he was at Cincy, people used to complain all the time that his teams got to the line so much more than their opponents.

It's payback from his Cincy days?

It's a fact - the fouls called in that game need to be looked into - too lopsided. Something stinks....

ShadowHawg

35 free throws is explainable.

It's the 2 ft total that is not.

The other unexplainable things is how this never happens to basketball royalty regardless of what style they choose to play.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 19, 2018, 11:21:04 am
35 free throws is explainable.

It's the 2 ft total that is not.

The other unexplainable things is how this never happens to basketball royalty regardless of what style they choose to play.

Look at the shot chart.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400989189

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on February 19, 2018, 11:09:12 am
It's payback from his Cincy days?

It's a fact - the fouls called in that game need to be looked into - too lopsided. Something stinks....

o not payback, but in is cincy days they were winning games where they shot more ft's than the team that lost, so the LOSING team complained about it. In basketball, more than any other sport, the LOSERS complain about the refs more than anything.

twistitup

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 11:30:15 am
o not payback, but in is cincy days they were winning games where they shot more ft's than the team that lost, so the LOSING team complained about it. In basketball, more than any other sport, the LOSERS complain about the refs more than anything.

Losers always complain, but they don't always have stats to back their complaints up - Huggins has room to complain.

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on February 19, 2018, 11:32:52 am
Losers always complain, but they don't always have stats to back their complaints up - Huggins has room to complain.

I have not looked at every game, but what is the usual FT count in WVU games? In KU games?

Rocket23

When your team presses full court and plays aggressive man-to-man defense and your offense is an outside perimeter shooting offense, that lopsided count could happen.  I watched that game and it didn't look out of ordinary the way the game flowed.  KU attacked the basket.  There were a few no-calls I thought should have been whistled, but nothing out of the ordinary.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 11:26:42 am
Look at the shot chart.

What do you think you saw?

I see a shot chart where WV took way more shots inside the 3 point line than Kansas did. A sign that they aggressive enough about getting to the basket to have shot more than 2 free throws.

Are we also to believe that Kansas didn't foul enough while defending out on the floor and rebounding in what was a physical game to not have at least put WV in the bonus in either half?

2 ft is not likely

ballinhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 10:28:49 am
In big12 play WVU averages 23 pf's per game, and got called for 26 Sat including fouling late to stop the clock. Ku averages 17 pf's per game and got called for 14. WVU presses and traps and tries for steals & plays in your face man D. KU does not press alot and does not tend to try to climb in the other teams jersies and they do not go for many steals.

35-2 discrepancy, yea, that's out there but the foul counts were nothing abnormal for either team. 

Well like I said I didn't see the game so I could only assume

hawgfan4life

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 11:26:42 am
Look at the shot chart.

What does that say specifically?  It is clear to see Kansas shot more inside the paint, but it wasn't like WVU only shot a couple.  They had several inside the paint or just outside the lanes.  The video at the top of that page shows a WVU player going in for a shot and clearly getting fouled with no call.  The second block was probably clean, but the first one had all kinds of contact. 

Your blind allegiance to the officials because you are one is consistent.  I will give you props for that fact, but there is zero chance that the game was called equal in both lanes for both teams the entire game with the discrepancy that exists in the box score.  Hats off to Huggins for standing up for his players.  I wish MA would do that on occasion. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 19, 2018, 11:41:45 am
What do you think you saw?

I see a shot chart where WV took way more shots inside the 3 point line than Kansas did. A sign that they aggressive enough about getting to the basket to have shot more than 2 free throws.

Are we also to believe that Kansas didn't foul enough while defending out on the floor and rebounding in what was a physical game to not have at least put WV in the bonus in either half?

2 ft is not likely

Actually WVU had to be in the bonus in at least one half, since KU committed 14 fouls.

Actually the chart does not show that WVU took more shots in side the paint, if you roll over the KU shots, many have more than one shot in close, PLUS the shots they got fouled on do not show up at all.

As for the OP, just what ind of questions are the refs supposed to answer?

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 19, 2018, 11:45:58 am

Your blind allegiance to the officials because you are one is consistent.  I will give you props for that fact, but there is zero chance that the game was called equal in both lanes for both teams the entire game with the discrepancy that exists in the box score.  Hats off to Huggins for standing up for his players.  I wish MA would do that on occasion. 

And I wish all fans had to put on stripes and go call a game just to see what it is like. Instead they sit in their chairs and watch from 10 different super slow mo angles, and they go into it with a predisposition that the officials suck ( just look at all the posts about how college basketball is being ruined by the refs ) and they think every call is wrong, unless of course it goes against a team they do not like.

There was no foul discrepancy, both teams were almost right on their usual # of pf's for a game. It just happns that most of the WVU fouls were shooting fouls.

Next1_04

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 09:37:00 am
How are they supposed to answer " why didn't you guys call more fouls on Team X " or " why was the Ft count so lopsided ". If they answer with " well, team Y played a lot tighter D and fouled a lot more " no one is going to buy it.

Regardless, at least they would have to put on their balls and come out and defend their performance like the kids do who don't make any money. Ref's get paid then get to go hide in their little locker room afterwards.

BoarEd

What will be interesting to see is whether WVU gets caught up in this FBI crap-storm that's about to consume college basketball.

What I alledge is that there is a nationwide racketeering ring being ran through the NCAA itself and that some of the officials are on the take. We know for a fact that the shoe companies have been steering players to certain schools for various purposes. The university has a contract with said shoe company, the university offers an "easier path" to the NBA due to prestige and television exposure, etc. I think that when you see these blue bloods like Kansas' and North Carolina play teams that aren't in on the sham, the refs do their damnedest to protect the racket. We can't have schools that aren't playing the game beating teams who are putting the best talent money can buy on the court.

It would also explain the free throw deficit in our game with Miss State. We know they're caught up in this too.

Don't believe it if ya want, but it's gonna come out eventually.

hogsanity

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 19, 2018, 01:09:29 pm
Regardless, at least they would have to put on their balls and come out and defend their performance like the kids do who don't make any money. Ref's get paid then get to go hide in their little locker room afterwards.

Again, what kind of questions are they supposed to have to answer? A player usually gets asked pretty generic stuff like " did you guys have the same intensity you had last game? " or " what was different tonight than the 1st time you played team X?" No one is asking " why did you suck so bad tonight " or " why was your team mate so lousy in the 2nd half ".  So what questions are refs going to be asked? Are they going to be asked " You called a block on player 1 with 15 minutes to go in the 1st half, then with 3 minutes left in the game you called a charge on player 2 when it looked like the exact same play, why?"?

Next1_04

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 01:42:05 pm
Again, what kind of questions are they supposed to have to answer? A player usually gets asked pretty generic stuff like " did you guys have the same intensity you had last game? " or " what was different tonight than the 1st time you played team X?" No one is asking " why did you suck so bad tonight " or " why was your team mate so lousy in the 2nd half ".  So what questions are refs going to be asked? Are they going to be asked " You called a block on player 1 with 15 minutes to go in the 1st half, then with 3 minutes left in the game you called a charge on player 2 when it looked like the exact same play, why?"?

Could care less as long as they are available to be asked. They could be  asked "what's for dinner after the game"? We'll never know because they are never available to best asked. So it looks like we are back to the beginning question of why that is?

hogsanity

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 19, 2018, 02:18:51 pm
Could care less as long as they are available to be asked. They could be  asked "what's for dinner after the game"? We'll never know because they are never available to best asked. So it looks like we are back to the beginning question of why that is?

Why aren't officials in any sport available after the game? Probably because there is no way to ask them questions without sounding like you favor one team over another.

Baseball has seen umpires make statements on specific plays, especially in the post season. But basketball and football are all such judgement calls that asking questions is just going to sound like sour grapes most of the time.

jst01

To act like personal bias doesn't exist in officiating is being way naive. The human brain has weaknesses and people are weak. Refs are just people. Of course some games/calls become personal.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Mr.Gruntastic

The point is, it's time to hold refs accountable for there bull.

Not just in basketball but all sports.