Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving eve tidbits

Started by Porkatarian, November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 22, 2017, 02:15:32 pm
What's the third announcement got to do with?

Friday evening/Saturday - Bielema fired

Saturday - Tubs introduced as AD

Monday - Gus introduced as HC

That would be my guess.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The Hogfather

Quote from: TX HOG on November 22, 2017, 02:16:29 pm
1. Bret fired
2. Coach named
3. AD named

Idk

I think Bielema fired, AD named, coach named.

hawgjr

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 02:13:31 pm
I think we're very close to 2 and possibly 3 big announcements.

The first could come as soon as Saturday.

Porkatarian out...
THREE big announcements! AD, Coach, ?????

menace_hawg3

Porkatarian out...

I've been hearing that they could hire the new coach before the new AD. Have you heard anything similar to that?

TX HOG

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 22, 2017, 02:17:41 pm
I think Bielema fired, AD named, coach named.

Yes. Mine was out of order. I concur

Been10Hog

Porkatarian out...
Sounds kinda like Mike Irwin had said previously. There is a plan in place. Part one was getting rid of Long. They have a plan in place for who will be the coach (part 2)

Hollywood870

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 22, 2017, 02:15:32 pm
What's the third announcement got to do with?
A firing and two hirings, never mind.

cjack

Porkatarian out...

C'mon man.  "I think" and "could" are guess words.  Do you know anything to be fact about the coach/AD?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

HoopS

An AD being announced first makes sense. Gives the impression he's coming in and making his changes. Then firing. Then new coach.

oldman1015

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 22, 2017, 01:06:15 pm
They both scare the hell out of me.  MN could be the Stan Heath of football and GM could be the next Bielema (just making a move because of issues at current school and maybe not hungry enough to do what it takes to make Arkansas a top contender).
MN could also be the next Saban. If we wait to find out he is great we can't get him.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

lumphog

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 01:57:09 pm
I've heard zero mention of Kiffin.  I like Chad Morris and am intrigued by his ability to recruit Texas, but have heard zero mention of his name.

Porkatarian out...
I think Norvell will be a helluva recruiter. Young energetic and be able to pull TOP recruits to Arkansas like no other

Hawg Life

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 02:17:14 pm

That would be my guess.

If it's Tubbs I doubt Gus will be the HC.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: cjack on November 22, 2017, 02:27:04 pm
C'mon man.  "I think" and "could" are guess words.  Do you know anything to be fact about the coach/AD?

If he's not the guy making the decision and pulling the trigger what guarantee do you expect him to make?

TX HOG

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 02:29:56 pm
If it's Tubbs I doubt Gus will be the HC.

Bring on Tuberville then😜

DOC-T

I bet they already have their answer on Gus.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 01:53:38 pm
It's hard to take a job in a different city when your wife doesn't want to move.

Porkatarian out...

Can you imagine wanting to stay in LR over NWA. Depressing

Dropkick

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 02:17:14 pm

That would be my guess.
PLEASE NO!

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TX HOG

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 22, 2017, 02:32:35 pm
Can you imagine wanting to stay in LR over NWA. Depressing

Kinda what I was thinking. I've lived in NWA for 6 months. Texas 100% of the other years. Never lived in LR, but seriously?

The Hogfather

Quote from: oldman1015 on November 22, 2017, 02:27:46 pm
MN could also be the next Saban. If we wait to find out he is great we can't get him.

Sure, 1 in a million vs. 1 in 2.  1 in 2 coaches like him fail miserably (probably more like 1.5 in 2).  1 in a million becomes arguably the best college football coach ever.  You can't hire and fire based on the fact that a guy hasn't proven that he ISN'T Saban yet.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 22, 2017, 02:33:56 pm
Sure, 1 in a million vs. 1 in 2.  1 in 2 coaches fail miserably.  1 in a million becomes arguably the best college football coach ever.  You can't hire and fire based on the chance that a guy hasn't proven that he ISN'T Saban yet.
This.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: TX HOG on November 22, 2017, 02:33:44 pm
Kinda what I was thinking. I've lived in NWA for 6 months. Texas 100% of the other years. Never lived in LR, but seriously?

And what do you think of your first 6 months here? 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porkatarian

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on November 22, 2017, 02:18:46 pm
I've been hearing that they could hire the new coach before the new AD. Have you heard anything similar to that?

Yes, the job has been offered to Gus
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Hawg Life

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 02:33:29 pm
Why?

Tuberville above all is a football coach, and he'd have more input with Norvell or Venables. Tubbs would be a mentor to a younger coach.

TX HOG

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 02:35:14 pm
And what do you think of your first 6 months here? 

Love it. We chose to move here after 38 for me and 36 years(wife) of east Texas living

HF#1

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 02:36:08 pm
Tuberville above all is a football coach, and he’d have more input with Norvell or Venables. Tubbs would be a mentor to a younger coach.

We aren't hiring a mentor, we are hiring an athletic director. Why would you want a coach you'd have to mentor when you have a shot at a proven winner?

Dark Helmet Hog

If Gus does come here, it's going to be great entertainment lurking on the AU message boards. 99% of them think there is no way Gus would ever return to Arkansas. They will implode.

Porkatarian

Saturday morning

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 02:39:23 pm
Saturday morning

Porkatarian out...
AD, I'm guessing? Since Gus is coaching at 2:30

Dark Helmet Hog

Saturday morning

Porkatarian out...

For how many announcements? Just the first?

TX HOG

Tony Perkis

Quote from: TX HOG on November 22, 2017, 02:40:33 pm
AD hire would be only one for sat am I'd think.
Yessir. Caught myself after I thought about it for a sec.

rhames

Bet Bret gets fired before new ad.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HF#1

Quote from: rhames on November 22, 2017, 02:42:17 pm
Bet Bret gets fired before new ad.

I think that happens Friday evening.

menace_hawg3

Saturday morning

Porkatarian out...

Do you see Gus coaching the SECCG if Auburn wins the Iron Bowl? Have you heard of how he would deal with that particular situation?

Jim Harris

Quote from: Oliver on November 22, 2017, 09:39:23 am
What are the odds that we miss on our backup head coaching targets due to waiting on our first candidate to accept/refuse the job?

It's pretty simple. You'll know by Saturday evening if Gus is staying in or getting out at Auburn.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

rhames

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 02:42:54 pm
I think that happens Friday evening.

Naw it will happen Saturday IMO

Right about 2:15 pm
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Dropkick

I assume Saturday means first announcement which would be Bret being fired. 2nd could be either AD or HC according to how fast each situation moves.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 02:38:20 pm
We aren't hiring a mentor, we are hiring an athletic director. Why would you want a coach you'd have to mentor when you have a shot at a proven winner?

He'll be overly involved most coaches that become AD have input.. Broyles, Alvarez, are just a couple that come to mind. Tubbs would want to have some control and a younger coach would be more willing to listen. Tubbs has no experience as an AD, so he'll do more of what he knows.. helping the next coach. He'd go younger to make this more realistic. Tubbs could also help build a staff if needed. I don't think Tuberville gets the job, but he would fit in with The GOBN.

Oliver

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 22, 2017, 02:43:23 pm
It's pretty simple. You'll know by Saturday evening if Gus is staying in or getting out at Auburn.

To me that makes sense.  I just didn't know how long he might string us along or how dedicated we were to hiring him as our coach

HF#1

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 02:47:14 pm
He'll be overly involved most coaches that become AD have input.. Broyles, Alvarez, are just a couple that come to mind. Tubbs would want to have some control and a younger coach would be more willing to listen. Tubbs has no experience as an AD, so he'll do more of what he knows.. helping the next coach. He'd go younger to make this more realistic. Tubbs could also help build a staff if needed. I don't think Tuberville gets the job, but he would fit in with The GOBN.

If you hire the right coach, he won't have to do that. I could see him helping in other ways but I don't see him getting involved in day to day things.

Jim Harris

Quote from: lumphog on November 22, 2017, 02:28:46 pm
I think Norvell will be a helluva recruiter. Young energetic and be able to pull TOP recruits to Arkansas like no other

Is there any source or coverage out there from Arizona State that he's a high-level recruiter? If there is, I haven't found it.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hog Milanese

Tuberville and Gus would be two Arkansas guys returning home where they belong. Like them or not, that's a good thing, and it motivates a person to do a better job and try harder.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 02:48:39 pm
If you hire the right coach, he won't have to do that. I could see him helping in other ways but I don't see him getting involved in day to day things.

He would want to do it.. he'd be "Heppin". If he's hired there's no doubt this would happen. Before Long, who had never been a coach it happened for 40 years. If we hire TT we go back in time in many ways, not to 64 & 65, but 70's & 80's. History does repeat itself.

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 22, 2017, 02:51:22 pm
Is there any source or coverage out there from Arizona State that he's a high-level recruiter? If there is, I haven't found it.

I'm having trouble finding that info too Jim. But he recruited his QB apparently. So there is 1 player.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 22, 2017, 02:51:22 pm

He just signed the highest rated class in Memphis history, 40 spots above Fuente's 2 years.

TX HOG

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 02:54:51 pm
He just signed the highest rated class in Memphis history, 40 spots above Fuente's 2 years.

40 spot jump? Wow

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 02:53:26 pm
I'm having trouble finding that info too Jim. But he recruited his QB apparently. So there is 1 player.

His former boss thought so. I guess that's something.  https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2015/10/22/what-makes-mike-norvell-asus-top-recruiter/74400330/

Here's another saying basically the same. He did sign 4 and 5 start recruits to Arizona State and apparently has strong ties to Louisiana and Texas recruiting according to Rivals.
https://memphis.rivals.com/news/norvell-the-recruiter-1

rljjr

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 22, 2017, 11:02:12 am
Leach is a great offensive mind and his communications skills are a plus not a minus -- it probably helps him recruit, at least at the margin, and coach up college kids as well.

Nothing I have seen him do is disqualifying -- the worst accusation was the dumb thing with the TV commentator's son, which seemed ridiculous....

He reminds me a little of Steve Spurrier -- a colorful character but a winner.

Yeah man, true winner. 122-79 overall. Currently 38-36 in 6 seasons at Wazzou. Man, that is EXACTLY what we need. Whew!

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 22, 2017, 02:57:56 pm
His former boss thought so. I guess that's something.  https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2015/10/22/what-makes-mike-norvell-asus-top-recruiter/74400330/

Here's another saying basically the same. He did sign 4 and 5 start recruits to Arizona State and apparently has strong ties to Louisiana and Texas recruiting according to Rivals.
https://memphis.rivals.com/news/norvell-the-recruiter-1

They'd rather have Gus, which is beyond me. Norvell is what we need, and we'd have $2.5 million to build a staff second to none.