Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not just about the losses, we're being mislead

Started by pa_rob424, September 14, 2017, 04:33:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pa_rob424

Losses are one thing, but all the talk is another. We were told just how fast Jordan Jones is all during camp and how if anyone scares the secondary it's him. Why give him all that talk and not throw a single deep ball to him?  You can't say because our o-line won't block long enough for them to do this, bc there have been many plays where AA holds the ball for what seems like an eternity. If teams are stacking the box, we have single coverage somewhere!

They say they want to get the ball to Hammonds in space. Well then put him in!  He can't have he ball if he's on the sideline. Some have said that maybe he isn't healthy enough yet. If that's the case he shouldn't be playing at all right now. I would argue that he barely is. Don't build these guys up and then never give them a chance to show everybody you are right. Just makes me question everything that comes out of his mouth when nothing he says about his own team is true.

We were told last year that he felt so comfortable about that team and he didn't have to worry about them because "I know my guys". Then at the end of the year supposedly there were upperclassmen who hadn't bought in. Which one is it??

We're told that Clary played so well that he won the starting guard spot. Ok, fine. If he can play, he can play, scholly or no scholly. But WTH does this have to do with Gibson taking over at RT?  Did he ever play RT before?  I never heard of him even taking reps there. Leading up to game 1 I was hearing that the light is finally coming on for Wallace and that the "last 10 practices have been as productive as he's been since he's been here". If that's true, why is he on the bench because Clary is better than everyone thought when Clary doesn't play his position??

We're told about how Hayden can make something out of nothing in a hurry. Sounds like someone you'd want in the game if the box is being stacked. What'd he get, 2 carries on consecutive plays then didn't sniff the field afterward?  He didn't sniff the field after that. Wasn't late enough in the game and we weren't behind enough to abandon the run.

Post game PC, Bielema said that Limpert had been hitting the ball well and he didn't want to put them in bc he'd have to change holders and he wanted Limpert concentrating on KOs. What??  You don't wanna change kickers bc you'd have to change holders?  Does the guy who holds for Limpert not practice this every day?  You want Limpert focusing on KOs?  Do you realize the only time we will be kicking off is after we score or at the beginning of a half??  How much time do you need to concentrate on that?

We are told we are switching to a 3-4 defense to get more playmakers on the field and be multiple/unpredictable. We don't have the LB depth or playmaking ability to switch to a defense that requires even more LBs to be on the field. You have a player like Agim whose being asked to not rush the passer but to take on blockers. That isn't using him to the best of his abilities and it isn't working so far. Unleash the guys instead of dropping 8 and getting no pressure. Only guy I've seen edge rush is Ramsey who is pushed upfield by opposing tackles because he is too light to speed rush and turn the corner if they get hands on him.

Bielema is always saying that what he sees on film isn't anything that can't be corrected. If that's so, why isn't it being corrected?

It's not our recruiting or talent. We aren't developing players like his system is predicated on. Our recruiting rankings are higher than they have been in more recently successful seasons under other coaches, but he has big problems getting the most out of his guys and with motivating them to play to the best of their abilities. He even said that he doesn't want to be hard on his players because a lot of them have no support system and he feels sorry for them. The support system issues may be true, but always telling a kid they are special regardless of effort or lack of improvement doesn't mean you are helping them become better men. An expectation of performance isn't being set, or not set high enough if he doesn't push them to be better than they are, he isn't helping them. I call that enabling.

I just question every single thing that comes out of his mouth because it rarely makes sense, or it contradicts something he previously said, or otherwise I feel like I'm being mislead.

You can be objective about your team's performance without throwing individuals under the bus. I know we are capable of more and I'm sick of watching this side show every weekend. I want to see at least one coach be in a kid's ear when he screws up, but not hold it against him afterward.

I know he doesn't call the plays, but when you hire the guy that calls he plays and he works for you, then you are ultimately responsibile for his production/execution. That about sums it up for me I guess. I'll step down off my soap box.

Kevin

coaches are ask to speak to much to the media.

after 4 years, & 2 games, his act is getting old
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogmolar

There was a deep ball thrown to Jones.  He was open but stumbled.  Didn't help the pass was thrown to the hash mark behind him though.   Also Hammonds was put in motion out of the backfield and the ball was thrown over his head.  Clary is starting but the bad news is that he and Gipson are beating out Merrick and Wallace who if I remember were 4 star cant misses that this board were drooling over when they signed.  :'(

010HogFan

Great post!!! Same things happened last year. It's a damn shame that at the end of the day, the true talent of the team is being minimized and wasted because they. won't. play. them. It's baffling. To a lesser extent, I thought Koilan Jackson would be involved with the offense this season as much as we heard his name being mentioned in camp. I've said I'm done listening to the offseason hype in the past, but I'm really done now.

BallHog1

As a quarterback, it's bad to throw to a receiver who is not open. Lots of bad things could happen. I'm going to guess the ball hasn't been thrown to Jordan because he hasn't been open. I'm not going to guess that its because the coach made up lies. But that's just me.

010HogFan

Quote from: BallHog1 on September 14, 2017, 04:45:51 pm
As a quarterback, it's bad to throw to a receiver who is not open. Lots of bad things could happen. I'm going to guess the ball hasn't been thrown to Jordan because he hasn't been open. I'm not going to guess that its because the coach made up lies. But that's just me.

Deep shot plays are usually 50/50 balls as it is...to me it looks like we don't even try.

BallHog1

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 14, 2017, 04:47:51 pm
Deep shot plays are usually 50/50 balls as it is...to me it looks like we don't even try.
We definitely didn't go deep the first game. I assumed it just wasn't needed.
The second game, I felt like the desire was there but nobody gave the qb a target. My observations were limited to tv so I could be dead wrong.

010HogFan

Quote from: BallHog1 on September 14, 2017, 04:50:03 pm
We definitely didn't go deep the first game. I assumed it just wasn't needed.
The second game, I felt like the desire was there but nobody gave the qb a target. My observations were limited to tv so I could be dead wrong.

I was there and we did try to go deep a couple times, but it looked like it was just the result of Austin not having anyone open short, so he chucked it downfield. We need to have specific plays drawn up where the primary receiver is going deep and we're throwing it to him hell or high water. Put Brandon Martin in and let the big guy go up and get one. It's higher percentage than half the crap we do.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 14, 2017, 04:43:26 pm
Great post!!! Same things happened last year. It's a damn shame that at the end of the day, the true talent of the team is being minimized and wasted because they. won't. play. them. It's baffling. To a lesser extent, I thought Koilan Jackson would be involved with the offense this season as much as we heard his name being mentioned in camp. I've said I'm done listening to the offseason hype in the past, but I'm really done now.

Koilan Jackson is out with an acl injury.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: pa_rob424 on September 14, 2017, 04:33:45 pm
Losses are one thing, but all the talk is another. We were told just how fast Jordan Jones is all during camp and how if anyone scares the secondary it's him. Why give him all that talk and not throw a single deep ball to him?  You can't say because our o-line won't block long enough for them to do this, bc there have been many plays where AA holds the ball for what seems like an eternity. If teams are stacking the box, we have single coverage somewhere!

They say they want to get the ball to Hammonds in space. Well then put him in!  He can't have he ball if he's on the sideline. Some have said that maybe he isn't healthy enough yet. If that's the case he shouldn't be playing at all right now. I would argue that he barely is. Don't build these guys up and then never give them a chance to show everybody you are right. Just makes me question everything that comes out of his mouth when nothing he says about his own team is true.

We were told last year that he felt so comfortable about that team and he didn't have to worry about them because "I know my guys". Then at the end of the year supposedly there were upperclassmen who hadn't bought in. Which one is it??

We're told that Clary played so well that he won the starting guard spot. Ok, fine. If he can play, he can play, scholly or no scholly. But WTH does this have to do with Gibson taking over at RT?  Did he ever play RT before?  I never heard of him even taking reps there. Leading up to game 1 I was hearing that the light is finally coming on for Wallace and that the "last 10 practices have been as productive as he's been since he's been here". If that's true, why is he on the bench because Clary is better than everyone thought when Clary doesn't play his position??

We're told about how Hayden can make something out of nothing in a hurry. Sounds like someone you'd want in the game if the box is being stacked. What'd he get, 2 carries on consecutive plays then didn't sniff the field afterward?  He didn't sniff the field after that. Wasn't late enough in the game and we weren't behind enough to abandon the run.

Post game PC, Bielema said that Limpert had been hitting the ball well and he didn't want to put them in bc he'd have to change holders and he wanted Limpert concentrating on KOs. What??  You don't wanna change kickers bc you'd have to change holders?  Does the guy who holds for Limpert not practice this every day?  You want Limpert focusing on KOs?  Do you realize the only time we will be kicking off is after we score or at the beginning of a half??  How much time do you need to concentrate on that?

We are told we are switching to a 3-4 defense to get more playmakers on the field and be multiple/unpredictable. We don't have the LB depth or playmaking ability to switch to a defense that requires even more LBs to be on the field. You have a player like Agim whose being asked to not rush the passer but to take on blockers. That isn't using him to the best of his abilities and it isn't working so far. Unleash the guys instead of dropping 8 and getting no pressure. Only guy I've seen edge rush is Ramsey who is pushed upfield by opposing tackles because he is too light to speed rush and turn the corner if they get hands on him.

Bielema is always saying that what he sees on film isn't anything that can't be corrected. If that's so, why isn't it being corrected?

It's not our recruiting or talent. We aren't developing players like his system is predicated on. Our recruiting rankings are higher than they have been in more recently successful seasons under other coaches, but he has big problems getting the most out of his guys and with motivating them to play to the best of their abilities. He even said that he doesn't want to be hard on his players because a lot of them have no support system and he feels sorry for them. The support system issues may be true, but always telling a kid they are special regardless of effort or lack of improvement doesn't mean you are helping them become better men. An expectation of performance isn't being set, or not set high enough if he doesn't push them to be better than they are, he isn't helping them. I call that enabling.

I just question every single thing that comes out of his mouth because it rarely makes sense, or it contradicts something he previously said, or otherwise I feel like I'm being mislead.

You can be objective about your team's performance without throwing individuals under the bus. I know we are capable of more and I'm sick of watching this side show every weekend. I want to see at least one coach be in a kid's ear when he screws up, but not hold it against him afterward.

I know he doesn't call the plays, but when you hire the guy that calls he plays and he works for you, then you are ultimately responsibile for his production/execution. That about sums it up for me I guess. I'll step down off my soap box.

B.S.

We're not being misled. I believe the coaches (ALL of them) when they say the team doesn't look the same at GAME TIME as they do in practice through the week. This team has the stank, and the players have got to get over the fear that's creeping in. They appear to have had it off and on since the first game last year, but it's been choke level since the 2nd half at Mizzou... I don't know if CBB can get them back, or even if he has to do so. It may just be a player problem, but it also may not clear up until these SR's are gone. I don't know, but it's as good a theory as any...

Y'all that's a good post... LOL..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on September 14, 2017, 04:54:52 pm
Koilan Jackson is out with an acl injury.

No that's not it, Jeff Long told CBB to not play him because he doesn't want us to win, he hates winning. You are going to have to keep up with whats going on around here, or else you will just look ignert.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hobhog

Hilarious. Coaching staff is hyping players and then not playing them just to mislead the fans. Brilliant!

azhog10

Quote from: hogmolar on September 14, 2017, 04:40:10 pm
There was a deep ball thrown to Jones.  He was open but stumbled.  Didn't help the pass was thrown to the hash mark behind him though.   Also Hammonds was put in motion out of the backfield and the ball was thrown over his head.  Clary is starting but the bad news is that he and Gipson are beating out Merrick and Wallace who if I remember were 4 star cant misses that this board were drooling over when they signed.  :'(
Pretty sure Pettway stumbled not Jones.

urkillnmesmalls

What we're seeing is a QB and receivers who are not on the same page.  I wasn't at the game, so I didn't see what was happening to cause that...if they were getting manhandled at the LOS and not getting into their routes, or if they were rounding their cuts and not getting separation, or possibly just not putting 100% effort in...which we've seen before. 

Here's what I know from playing QB.  When you have a field littered with receivers that you know, you can throw them open WHEN you can trust them to be where they are supposed to be.  When the field is littered with receivers you don't know, you wait for separation so you don't throw a beautiful ball right to the defender when your receiver isn't where he is supposed to be.  That leads to QB sacks, rushes, and bad results.  Passing is about timing, and from what I saw in those first two games, we are VERY far from that luxury.   

I know this, because we had stud receivers my Soph year and I looked like a future hall of famer.  Then those guys left, and I looked like I should take up playing Tuba.  :-) 

I want to think that it could turn around quickly with some better communication, an extra week to prepare, and a few good breaks to develop some confidence.  Maybe it will...dunno.  What confounds me is, why we have the same coaches, and the same system, and it looks like no one is doing what they are expected to do. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

010HogFan

Troll all you want about Koilan, I still agree with what the OP said. This staff is all talk and no action. I know they aren't going to come out in camp and say "wow we really suck" but I'm tired of hearing how improved we are and how many flashy new playmakers we have when the time comes around and they hardly even see the field. And all we hear is "we gotta find a way to get such and such more touches." Well duh! If I were a recruit I wouldn't have much confidence that this staff would put me in a position to succeed.

pa_rob424

The point I was making about being mislead is that we are told one thing but see another. Has nothing to do with coaches hyping players, not playing them specifically to torque off fans. It's the feeling that I get when I listen to interviews and pressers and NOT seeing what was previously discussed happen in games.

As I said before, don't tell me how good Wallace is doing if you already know you're replacing him with the guy who has been playing RG and hasn't had any experience at RT. Don't tell me how good the receivers look, and then say that they aren't doing what they are supposed to do.  How do they do what they're supposed to do in practice but can't do it in games thus far? What Bielema is saying is misleading to me. Maybe it isnt on purpose. Maybe he says so much stuff to different people he can't remember what he said and who he said it to, but regardless of the intent of his communication it IS misleading. When you tell me how good someone is, I expect to see them get playing time and opportunities to succeed. One pass to a receiver or one rushing attempt for a back isn't giving them a chance to succeed. If the guys you're playing aren't doing what they're supposed to do, for goodness sake, play someone else standing on the sideline who has a scholly. There have been plenty of players who weren't great during practice, but when the lights came on that's when they shine. Never know if we have someone like that if they don't get a chance. And for all you that will twist my words, that doesn't mean to play the worst guy we have and assume he will be great. It simply means, keep doing what you're doing and there is no chance you will be anything more than what you are. The best coaches coach to what their players are capable of, NOT coaching only their system with players who can't execute it. 

Boardon Hamsay

So, we're being mislead by a lot of coach speak from fall camp? Seems like a "you problem" if you buy into everything that's said at a presser, especially from practice. What happens in practice doesn't always transfer to game day.

I'm sure we have all kinds of speed in practice. That's great and all but if the opposing team has more speed, ours isn't quite as impressive all of a sudden. Our passing game may be fantastic in practice against situational/scripted defenses but what my eyes see is a QB with little rapport or timing with our WRs, who themselves need to improve their route running and playbook knowledge.

I'm not defending CBB one bit. I'm saying let your eyes set your expectations, not your ears. On O, we have a SR QB with young WRs and OL inconsistency. On D, we have a new scheme and inconsistency galore in part due to youth and in part due to them being on the field too long. No ears needed to take an eye test. If you take everything said at a presser as what will be, you're probably the last to figure out the sucker at the poker table is you.

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: pa_rob424 on September 14, 2017, 06:09:28 pm
The point I was making about being mislead is that we are told one thing but see another. Has nothing to do with coaches hyping players, not playing them specifically to torque off fans. It's the feeling that I get when I listen to interviews and pressers and NOT seeing what was previously discussed happen in games.

As I said before, don't tell me how good Wallace is doing if you already know you're replacing him with the guy who has been playing RG and hasn't had any experience at RT. Don't tell me how good the receivers look, and then say that they aren't doing what they are supposed to do.  How do they do what they're supposed to do in practice but can't do it in games thus far? What Bielema is saying is misleading to me. Maybe it isnt on purpose. Maybe he says so much stuff to different people he can't remember what he said and who he said it to, but regardless of the intent of his communication it IS misleading. When you tell me how good someone is, I expect to see them get playing time and opportunities to succeed. One pass to a receiver or one rushing attempt for a back isn't giving them a chance to succeed. If the guys you're playing aren't doing what they're supposed to do, for goodness sake, play someone else standing on the sideline who has a scholly. There have been plenty of players who weren't great during practice, but when the lights came on that's when they shine. Never know if we have someone like that if they don't get a chance. And for all you that will twist my words, that doesn't mean to play the worst guy we have and assume he will be great. It simply means, keep doing what you're doing and there is no chance you will be anything more than what you are. The best coaches coach to what their players are capable of, NOT coaching only their system with players who can't execute it.

All the secrecy and closed practices don't always help this situation either.  BB is old school in many regards.  He strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to value work ethic and desire VERY heavily.  So...if he sees drive in a player who listens, shows improvement, and the desire to put in the extra effort...his philosophy is to reward that, and that it will be catching to those around him, and the entire team benefits from that attitude.  It's certainly one way to approach it. 

The flip side is...players know who the best players are, and if/when they aren't being played, sometimes motivation is difficult, because the players don't feel they're being put in the best position to win games. 

BB just has that underdog mentality.  It's ingrained in him based on his past.  It's probably what JL took a shine to about him, because most people see Arkansas as an underdog out of the gate. 

I don't think he'll make it past next season if he doesn't get to the 7 win mark this year or next year.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 14, 2017, 06:10:24 pm
So, we're being mislead by a lot of coach speak from fall camp? Seems like a "you problem" if you buy into everything that's said at a presser, especially from practice. What happens in practice doesn't always transfer to game day.

I'm sure we have all kinds of speed in practice. That's great and all but if the opposing team has more speed, ours isn't quite as impressive all of a sudden. Our passing game may be fantastic in practice against situational/scripted defenses but what my eyes see is a QB with little rapport or timing with our WRs, who themselves need to improve their route running and playbook knowledge.

I'm not defending CBB one bit. I'm saying let your eyes set your expectations, not your ears. On O, we have a SR QB with young WRs and OL inconsistency. On D, we have a new scheme and inconsistency galore in part due to youth and in part due to them being on the field too long. No ears needed to take an eye test. If you take everything said at a presser as what will be, you're probably the last to figure out the sucker at the poker table is you.

Nicely said sir.  I've been wondering.  We all know about the DRFFFSH curse.  Do you think Texas fans are concerned that they might have to deal with a FBFFFSH moving forward?  That seems like something they should be worried about big time since they've already got issues to overcome.  That seems like the last thing they would need. 

Thoughts?  Too soon?   

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 14, 2017, 06:25:44 pm
Nicely said sir.  I've been wondering.  We all know about the DRFFFSH curse.  Do you think Texas fans are concerned that they might have to deal with a FBFFFSH moving forward?  That seems like something they should be worried about big time since they've already got issues to overcome.  That seems like the last thing they would need. 

Thoughts?  Too soon?   

This is a very astute observation, Bro' 'smalls. I can't speak for Texas fans but here's what I know. JFB planned well ahead for his bodily demise. For years now, the Ghastly Shrunken Wraithly Phantom Head of Wear Schoonover has set up shop in the abandoned mansion next to the Fayetteville Catfish Hole for the sole purpose of keeping that real estate out of anyone's hands. I don't know how he did it per se, but I have now uncovered that said haunting of said property was in fact organized by none other than undead JFB. JFB long fancied that little property for its proximity to good hush puppies, Razorback related festivities, and overall good shape for an apparition based afterlife. Rumors even maintain that JFB connected said mansion to the UofA tunnel system. I haven't found that evidence yet. I have yet to officially hear of JFB's preferred posthumous name either but my money is on Frank Broyles' Exsanguinous Diaphanous Squealing Scorching Supernatant Blazing Spectral Torso. I suspect he will focus on Texas fans at a time of his choosing.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Seebs

Holy Mother of long posts that I refuse to read through.  I got to the third paragraph and realized I read this 15 times earlier from 15 different posters. Yours is longer though, so grats.

I'm sorry you have been misled. Spoiler - there is no Easter BUnny.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

woodhog14

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 14, 2017, 05:20:40 pm
Troll all you want about Koilan, I still agree with what the OP said. This staff is all talk and no action. I know they aren't going to come out in camp and say "wow we really suck" but I'm tired of hearing how improved we are and how many flashy new playmakers we have when the time comes around and they hardly even see the field. And all we hear is "we gotta find a way to get such and such more touches." Well duh! If I were a recruit I wouldn't have much confidence that this staff would put me in a position to succeed.

He's not trolling you about Jackson. It's a fact that he is out this season with an ACL injury. Do you even know what trolling is? Because his response was the exact opposite of trolling.

010HogFan

Quote from: woodhog14 on September 14, 2017, 07:52:58 pm
He's not trolling you about Jackson. It's a fact that he is out this season with an ACL injury. Do you even know what trolling is? Because his response was the exact opposite of trolling.

Read the whole thread again. I understand that it's a fact. I was talking about the Woodrow guy trying to make a funny.

010HogFan

Quote from: pa_rob424 on September 14, 2017, 06:09:28 pm

The people on this board won't acknowledge it, but I think a lot of people feel this way. But on Hogville, if you think this way you're horrible and don't know anything about football (shrug).

DeltaBoy

There was a ton of bad personnel groupings Sat. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogusta National

This post is spot on in my opinion.  We've been constantly told from day 1 on the job one thing only to find out that it has never happened.  Player development - where is it on the Oline specifically on the right side.  This isn't an attack on Clary who seems to be doing a good job.  This is on the other guys who aren't seemingly able to jump in after two or three years in the system.

But there are too many good points made in the OP that make sense - and have for a long time.

I'm still with CBB, personally.  But for me, he needs to show me something pretty quick.  I need to see improvement - again this is something that he has once again promised time and again.

I won't compare him to Nutt with this one exception because I truly like CBB whereas I have no respect for Nutt...but Nutt, post season after post season, constantly talked about how we would improve our passing game.  And it NEVER happened.  Hope CBB begins to deliver on his OWN words and talk.

Athog

Quote from: Kevin on September 14, 2017, 04:38:19 pm
coaches are ask to speak to much to the media.

after 4 years, & 2 games, his act is getting old

I agree but so is the same negativity on here.

cj_sez

Call it misleading, call it miscommunication, whatever. In the post-game presser, he was asked about a player and he responded, "I assume he is improving in practice." How engaged is CBB? Is the problem simply that he isn't involved enough to make accurate statements to the media? Being in charge, he shouldn't have to "assume" what is happening, he should know.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 14, 2017, 09:21:13 pm
The people on this board won't acknowledge it, but I think a lot of people feel this way. But on Hogville, if you think this way you're horrible and don't know anything about football (shrug).

Those people are horrible that are not on Hogville too. At least you're in a position to know you're wrong.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

010HogFan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 15, 2017, 10:16:44 pm
Those people are horrible that are not on Hogville too. At least you're in a position to know you're wrong.

Sure thing man

hogblitz

Quote from: woodhog14 on September 14, 2017, 07:52:58 pm
If my memory is right, the injury happened AFTER the first game.  Where was he the first game? 

Biggus Piggus

I've enjoyed reading Hogville this week. A lot of people making good points, others making good jokes. Misery has kinda pulled us together, somewhat.
[CENSORED]!

hobhog

wow. Lots of words to regurgitate all the posts of last week....refreshing.

presidenthog

Our coach plays his favorites based upon personality and GPA. Its why Stewart is starting at WR, and KOR. Dude has no business starting at either. He is too small to play at this level.

They keep calling Stewart fast, but is as slow as Bert on KOR because He is terrified because He is 150 and going to get hurt. It is also why he fumbles. Our coach for some reason cannot fathom that why it is happening because in practice he does so well (when people do not go hard in the paint because they are not trying to hurt thier own team)

codeHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 14, 2017, 06:21:12 pm
All the secrecy and closed practices don't always help this situation either.  BB is old school in many regards.  He strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to value work ethic and desire VERY heavily.  So...if he sees drive in a player who listens, shows improvement, and the desire to put in the extra effort...his philosophy is to reward that, and that it will be catching to those around him, and the entire team benefits from that attitude.  It's certainly one way to approach it. 

The flip side is...players know who the best players are, and if/when they aren't being played, sometimes motivation is difficult, because the players don't feel they're being put in the best position to win games. 

BB just has that underdog mentality.  It's ingrained in him based on his past.  It's probably what JL took a shine to about him, because most people see Arkansas as an underdog out of the gate. 

I don't think he'll make it past next season if he doesn't get to the 7 win mark this year or next year.   

the are no secret practice. Media is there all day every day and sees everything :)  I kid

The fans don't have a clue as to how bad our second team OL does in practice,,,,,so bad that they don't see the field

Porkchop#1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2017, 08:30:23 am
There was a ton of bad personnel groupings Sat.
I'd say the competent coaching brought forth by the TCU head coach & staff was the most damaging of these bad personnel groups.  We were waaaaaaaay out manned in this particular match up.

Redhogs

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2017, 01:29:54 am
I've enjoyed reading Hogville this week. A lot of people making good points, others making good jokes. Misery has kinda pulled us together, somewhat.
True, as strange as that is. Humor has been at an all time high..as dark as things are.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

doc53

Well put. The talk is bothersome,especially when he keeps throwing people under the bus. When I heard him answer the question about why Hayden did not play more by saying that Coach Mitchell DETERMINES THE RUNNING BACKS PLAYING TIME, I shouted a bad word and turned off the radio. Add to that,where were the fullbacks?
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

Swestwill66

Why don't they give the fullback a couple carries a game? At least make the opponent think we might run the fullback.

Swestwill66

DeltaBoy

We have tons of questions but NO real answers.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KlubhouseKonnected

Why won't Bret just show us his birth certificate?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 14, 2017, 07:42:25 pm
This is a very astute observation, Bro' 'smalls. I can't speak for Texas fans but here's what I know. JFB planned well ahead for his bodily demise. For years now, the Ghastly Shrunken Wraithly Phantom Head of Wear Schoonover has set up shop in the abandoned mansion next to the Fayetteville Catfish Hole for the sole purpose of keeping that real estate out of anyone's hands. I don't know how he did it per se, but I have now uncovered that said haunting of said property was in fact organized by none other than undead JFB. JFB long fancied that little property for its proximity to good hush puppies, Razorback related festivities, and overall good shape for an apparition based afterlife. Rumors even maintain that JFB connected said mansion to the UofA tunnel system. I haven't found that evidence yet. I have yet to officially hear of JFB's preferred posthumous name either but my money is on Frank Broyles' Exsanguinous Diaphanous Squealing Scorching Supernatant Blazing Spectral Torso. I suspect he will focus on Texas fans at a time of his choosing.

Spec freaking tacular!!!   ;D

RedRazorHog

Great Post!  Amen!  On the kicker - he said in his presser, that it's the same holder.  I caught that then...and knew then that he was full of BS (again).
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

buldozer

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 20, 2017, 10:38:57 pm
Great Post!  Amen!  On the kicker - he said in his presser, that it's the same holder.  I caught that then...and knew then that he was full of BS (again).
The OP is spot on with his post IMO. And I heard the BS about the kicker after the game where he said the holder had to be changed out because the other kid is a lefty and thats why he didn't make a change after he missed the first chip shot, then this week he says "no we will be using the same holder" for the kid that is a lefty.

At this point I believe the head coach is nothing but BS. The kids don't respect him is why they are not playing. His laid back approach has made it into the locker room and now the kids figure if he is sucking down $4.5M a year and not interested enough to engage on the sideline, heck they will play flag football and get their skollys and roll just like he does. You can't blame the players, the problem is the head football coach.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: buldozer on September 21, 2017, 03:41:27 am
The OP is spot on with his post IMO. And I heard the BS about the kicker after the game where he said the holder had to be changed out because the other kid is a lefty and thats why he didn't make a change after he missed the first chip shot, then this week he says "no we will be using the same holder" for the kid that is a lefty.

At this point I believe the head coach is nothing but BS. The kids don't respect him is why they are not playing. His laid back approach has made it into the locker room and now the kids figure if he is sucking down $4.5M a year and not interested enough to engage on the sideline, heck they will play flag football and get their skollys and roll just like he does. You can't blame the players, the problem is the head football coach.

Amen and I agree with Brother Buldozer!
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

Kevin

Just like after the loss at auburn to begin the year, they start peddling they want to play 2 sets of offensive lines. Pure crap
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

(notOM)Rebel123

I long for the days where we just watched the games, if lucky, or listened to the games on the radio, read the newspaper  account, and went on about our business. Geez. And before you chime in..yes, I've had Tix since 1974, my name is engraved in the sidewalk in front of Old Main. But c'mon... it's football. We will survive! Being "mislead"??? Wow! If so.. you are much too gullible.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

longpig

;nv;jfnv;ljfdnvfroufgnfdougrhfuiofnd;vvnfjvnfjkvn;j;adsnfsdafjkl;vnsdfjl;vnfd;lvnsdfl;ndfl;snfdl;sfnsdfl;nvsdfl;nlsdfk;vnsdfjklndfjkl;nasdfl;nsdkfjbnjkddffasd;lnm'kla'snv;kjlsdfnvkjl;sdfnv;lsdfnv;lsdfgn;sdfklvn;fsdlnvsdflk;nvfsdkjl;ns;lvgnjfkdgfsdnvjksdfvbksdfjvbksdfvn;sdfklnvl;sdfnvk;dfv;sdfklnv;asdflnfdskj;gvbndsfjkfggrjkalk;an;sanvfsdjkh;jghjfkdsfgsdjklhnsdfl;vnflgk;nsdfjklksdfnvfjkbjhdfhfgkdkfhgdghfjfjjkdsklfjfdljhfr;fj;asdlnf;ksdflfj;lf;lsdfk
Don't be scared, be smart.