Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sumlin/Bielema Hot Seat

Started by Hoggie17, September 18, 2017, 08:54:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

Sumlin  is at #4 and Bielema has moved up to #5.

Murr

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Murr on September 18, 2017, 10:25:20 am
Per......?

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

When they thought up the Southwest Classic I'm sure they expected it would be a Top 5 showdown but not this soon.

Graham, Riley, and Whipple all look worried.

Ed the Ogre fell 101 places from #109 to #8 but moving down in the bottom 10 isn't easy.

DeltaBoy

Welcome to the UHaul Bowl where the Losing Coach wins free moving at the end of the season from UHAUL!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sickboy

Look, I don't think A&M is a good football team right now, nor do I think Sumlin deserves a ton of slack... but the guy has lost Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray to transfer, Trevor Knight to graduation, and now their starting QB, Jake Hubenak, and their backup QB, Nick Starkel, to injuries.

If we're keeping track here... that's six quarterbacks in the span of a year and half.

Not saying some of that attrition wasn't Sumlin's fault. I'm just saying that Bielema has come by his woes honestly.

hog of steele

Quote from: sickboy on September 18, 2017, 10:59:38 am
Look, I don't think A&M is a good football team right now, nor do I think Sumlin deserves a ton of slack... but the guy has lost Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray to transfer, Trevor Knight to graduation, and now their starting QB, Jake Hubenak, and their backup QB, Nick Starkel, to injuries.

If we're keeping track here... that's six quarterbacks in the span of a year and half.

Not saying some of that attrition wasn't Sumlin's fault. I'm just saying that Bielema has come by his woes honestly.

This is all true. But like our coach, their coach is responsible for the roster. He mishandled so many QB's tryign to find his next johnny paycheck. He didn't build quality depth. If you listen around here, you will hear this same complaint about our coach. The difference for Sumlin is that his recruiting area is about perfect. He gets texas while the longhorns stink. It doesn't get better than that. There is no excuse for not having talented players at every spot.

PorkRinds

How exactly did CBB move up two spots with a bye week?

hog of steele

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 11:04:20 am

Maybe coaches above him won. Maybe it takes into account fan board ire which is crazy high right now.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Etowah

Agree that Sumlin has been dealt a tough hand with all the QB departures.  He has had some good one's and at least one of them should be an upper classman with experience.

But like a poster above mentioned...in spite of all the good recruiting done to get those QB's, he was terrible in the way he managed them.  He swithched QB's like we change our underwear...or most of us anyway.  He ran them off.  His own fault..thus he is on the hot seat and rightfully so.

jgphillips3

The Dallas Dumpster Fire Elimination Match 2017

"There can be only one..."

PorkRinds

Quote from: Etowah on September 18, 2017, 11:28:33 am
Agree that Sumlin has been dealt a tough hand with all the QB departures.  He has had some good one's and at least one of them should be an upper classman with experience.

But like a poster above mentioned...in spite of all the good recruiting done to get those QB's, he was terrible in the way he managed them.  He swithched QB's like we change our underwear...or most of us anyway.  He ran them off.  His own fault..thus he is on the hot seat and rightfully so.

He dealt that hand himself.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hog of steele on September 18, 2017, 11:05:17 am
Maybe coaches above him won. Maybe it takes into account fan board ire which is crazy high right now.

That and 26-27 in 5 years will do it. Hell Ed O is on such a short leash that his 2nd loss has him on the edge...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 18, 2017, 08:54:17 am
Sumlin  is at #4 and Bielema has moved up to #5.
These two guys are on completely different levels of hot seat.
Barring a miracle season, Sumlin is getting fired; barring a complete program collapse, Bielema is here next year.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

hogcard1964

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on September 18, 2017, 11:39:45 am
These two guys are on completely different levels of hot seat.
Barring a miracle season, Sumlin is getting fired; barring a complete program collapse, Bielema is here next year.

Kind of agree.  I think if Sumlin can somehow win 8 again, they'll allow him to stay on another year.  ...knowing the injuries and QB issues he's had to deal with.  Also, he has a very young team.   If Bielema wins 7 again, he'll probably have life until next season.

This shows you what the hotseat fellers know.  BB is not on anyone who matters hotseat.  Sumlin likely is.  A&M won't put up with losing and canning the coach is not a huge problem for them.  Us, we gotta take into consideration the 11 million and Jeff Longs feelings. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: 12247 on September 18, 2017, 11:53:00 am
This shows you what the hotseat fellers know.  BB is not on anyone who matters hotseat.  Sumlin likely is.  A&M won't put up with losing and canning the coach is not a huge problem for them.  Us, we gotta take into consideration the 11 million and Jeff Longs feelings. 

If CBB loses to A&M again, with all their struggles, particularly if the team looks unprepared and incompetent after two weeks to prepare, you might want to revisit that statement.

sickboy

Quote from: Etowah on September 18, 2017, 11:28:33 am

I think this a result of recruiting style. You have to be very careful not to make promises or insinuate to a recruit that he's "the" guy, especially at QB. That's a hard instinct to fight, because as a coach, you know how much a QB can influence your program. The down side of this is is you may miss out on some big time QBs. But you run the risk of getting into a mess when you end up with three guys who are all five and four star guys who feel that you led them to believe they were the future Johnny Manziel.

Now, should a Kyle Allen or a Kyler Murray be able to handle competition and prove their worth? Sure. But you gotta be careful what you promise an 17 year old kid who has dreams of being in the NFL.

DeltaBoy

Sumlin made is mess, so has Bielema.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seebs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 18, 2017, 10:50:45 am

Welcome to the UHaul Bowl where the Losing Coach wins free moving at the end of the season from UHAUL!

Coaches that make $4MM don't UHaul.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

FWF79

Both of them are on their way out and should be looking for their next gig.
Sumlin probably goes first at the end of the year or sooner, while we are stuck with Bret (thanks Jeff) for another year.
There are going to be a lot of coaches with new jobs at the end of this season.   
If we are forced to keep Brett one more year (once again thanks Jeff), then hopefully we can get Brohm.   

Razorbackers

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 11:04:20 am

How you gonna get fired on your day off?