Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most heartbreaking NCAA loss growing up?

Started by Hums, February 26, 2006, 04:27:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Boner on February 27, 2006, 05:26:10 pmWe almost became the first 1 seed to lose in the first round.  Thank goodness that guy missed that free throw.

Actually, we were a 2 seed that year, and 2 seeds have lost to 15 seeds before.  Arizona losing to Santa Clara comes to mind.

I think that 2 vs 15 game in 1995 was some Texas school, but I can't remember their name.

tbhogfan

I saw an interview with Bob Heaton a few years ago.  As much as I wanted to despise him, he seemed a very humble and engaging man.   He said he was amazed when that horrible shot went in. 

Even all these years later, thinking of that horrible call against US Reed makes me sick. 

The Indiana State game is it for me, hands down, no other even comes close.
Go Hogs!

Boner

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 27, 2006, 05:30:51 pm
Quote from: Boner on February 27, 2006, 05:26:10 pmWe almost became the first 1 seed to lose in the first round.  Thank goodness that guy missed that free throw.

Actually, we were a 2 seed that year, and 2 seeds have lost to 15 seeds before.  Arizona losing to Santa Clara comes to mind.

I think that 2 vs 15 game in 1995 was some Texas school, but I can't remember their name.

I stand corrected.  It was Texas Southern.

Hogger

'98 vs. Utah because it's freshest in my mind.  :-\

Big Papa Satan

Texas Southern, yep, that was it.

Arkansas was darned freaking lucky to have even made the Elite 8, much less the Final Four.  Syracuse had us flat-out beat.  Moten's brainfart was what decided that game.

I remember throwing up after that game was over from sheer nervousness.

wupigsuey

Georgetown for me...He shoulda never got to the basket that easy
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Pigonometry

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on February 26, 2006, 04:38:53 pm
1979 versus Indiana State.  It took me literally years to get over it, and I despised Larry Bird for his entire professional career because of it.

Larry Bird was my favorite pro player of all time.  I've never figured out why hog fans hate him for this game ---- Sidney shut him down the last eight minutes.  It was Bob Heaton that threw up the left-handed, off-balance, lucky shot that bounced four times and went in............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

llhog

'91 Loss to Kansas in the elite 8 ruined my weekend.  That team should have been playing for the title. 

zwhogfan

I was only 10 at the time but the '95 NC game loss to UCLA killed me. I cryed like a baby for about an hour after that darned game. We should have killed UCLA, it was sickening, worst basketball that team had played in two years.

The UnderHog

but also a loss in the NCAA's in around 1990 when we could've gone to the Elite 8 (I believe) but got beat by Bama I think - I was in Atlanta and remember being really POd but can't remember the details - anyone else? The UnderHog

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Jim Harris

Quote from: The UnderHog on February 27, 2006, 09:56:32 pm
but also a loss in the NCAA's in around 1990 when we could've gone to the Elite 8 (I believe) but got beat by Bama I think - I was in Atlanta and remember being really POd but can't remember the details - anyone else? The UnderHog

Kansas, 1991, in Charlotte. We beat Alabama in the Southeast Regional semifinals. We won twice in Atlanta the week before.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

proffitthog

I'am going with the Wake Forest 77 game, because i believe we were the best team that year. if we would have won that game i think we would have went on and won the national championship. That was a classic case of not having been their before and not knowing how to handle the spot light.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Definitely '95 UCLA for me.  That was traumatic for a 15 yr. old.

On a side note, the '98 Tennessee football game remains the most heartbreaking football loss for me.  I'm not sure I'll ever get over that one.  I can't stop wondering what might have been.  What made it worse was that I had just graduated from high school in East Tennessee and always had to defend my Razorbacks around my friends.  It was tough being a Hog fan living in a sea of orange. 
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

pfrg999

Tyus Edney with 3.4 seconds left ran the floor and scored against Missouri.... That gave them the momentum to beat us in the Championship... I hate Missouri for that....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

wrightobe

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on February 28, 2006, 10:24:39 am
Definitely '95 UCLA for me.  That was traumatic for a 15 yr. old.

On a side note, the '98 Tennessee football game remains the most heartbreaking football loss for me.  I'm not sure I'll ever get over that one.  I can't stop wondering what might have been.  What made it worse was that I had just graduated from high school in East Tennessee and always had to defend my Razorbacks around my friends.  It was tough being a Hog fan living in a sea of orange. 
Since a heartbreaking loss to Tennessee, because of the Clint Stoerner fumble was brought as a memorable heartbreaking loss, I remember several years ago, Arkansas was playing Tennessee in the Liberty Bowl, and it was in the fourth quarter, and time running down, and we were moving the ball with a 6 point lead, I think it was, Jon Richardson, the Arkansas halfback ran the ball for a short gain, and he fumbled, and our big tackle, whose name  I do not remember at this moment, recovered the ball, got up and handed the ball to the referee.  As we all know the Liberty Bowl is played in Memphis.  The referee, who lived in Memphis, and was involved with booster activities for the Tennessee Volunteers, ruled that Tennessee had recovered the fumble, gave the ball to Tennessee, which was in Arkansas territory, and Tennessee made its only real good drive that night to win the ball game, as they scored with very little time remaining in the game.  That was sickening.  Frank Broyles, who then was the coach, vowed to never play in the Liberty Bowl again.

hogtheball

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 28, 2006, 10:48:00 am
Tyus Edney with 3.4 seconds left ran the floor and scored against Missouri.... That gave them the momentum to beat us in the Championship... I hate Missouri for that....

True - but then Edney was hurt and didn't play against us. Corliss got destroyed in the finals by Jiri Zidek. Whatever happened to that guy?  He looked like Bill Walton against Corliss that game.  If we could have had our pick of Missou healthy or UCLA without Edney - most of us would have chosen UCLA.

My biggest heartbreak loss was to Kentucky in '79.  I loved the triplets - I was 11 and they were my heroes.  I still hate Kyle Macy.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Topcat

Geohul

1.      The loss to Memphis in '92.  I remember I had some relatives in town that weekend so my parents made me go to dinner with them.  I had to listen to the game on the car radio on the way to dinner.  After dinner I got back into the car to listen to what I was sure would be the final minutes of another Hog victory, only to listen to what, at the time, I thought was definitely the end of 40 minutes of hell.  Who knew two short years later we'd be cutting down the nets in Charlotte?  The whole way home from the restaurant I sat in the back seat of the car fighting back tears so my folks wouldn't see me cry.  I never forgave my mom for making me miss watching the last game of the MAY-DAY, Big O era. 
2.     The '79 ISU game.  I was only one year old but my dad still swears that after Heaton hit that shot, I started bawling.
3.     UCLA '95.  I remember it was my junior year of high schoool.  The year before that I had watched us win it all in Bud Walton on the big screens set up in the Arena, but afterward I hadn't been allowed to stay out and celebrate with my buddies.  So I had talked my parents into giving me a 12:00 curfew for the '95 game.  I was fully prepared to  umm.... Enjoy myself after the game.  I remember that I was so sure we would win because we had already overcame two really scary games to get there and because UCLA was without Edney.  Just didn't matter.  Toby F@#$king Bailey DESTROYED us.  I remember the announcer at Bud Walton all night kept saying "Toby BAAAILEY for two."  I just remember feeling sick by the end of the game.  I even made the paper the next day with a picture of me and my friends with our head in our hands on the front of the sports page.  I remember showing up the next day to school and my GF asking me if we had won.  I promptly broke up with her.

LA HAWG

Quote from: hogtheball on February 28, 2006, 08:50:54 pm
Quote from: pfrg999 on February 28, 2006, 10:48:00 am

True - but then Edney was hurt and didn't play against us. Corliss got destroyed in the finals by Jiri Zidek. Whatever happened to that guy?  He looked like Bill Walton against Corliss that game.  If we could have had our pick of Missou healthy or UCLA without Edney - most of us would have chosen UCLA.

My biggest heartbreak loss was to Kentucky in '79.  I loved the triplets - I was 11 and they were my heroes.  I still hate Kyle Macy.

It was George Zidek and he did not shut Corliss down single handedly.  Corliss was double and triple teamed all night.

Lokirain

National Championship game loss to UCLA, no contest.

razorbackfan4life

D-macs cuz

Quote from: llhog on February 27, 2006, 07:33:34 pm
'91 Loss to Kansas in the elite 8 ruined my weekend.  That team should have been playing for the title. 

I agree, I was in shock that whole 2nd half....I can't believe May-Day never won a title...they played some pretty good teams but still.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Lokirain on March 01, 2006, 10:42:01 am
National Championship game loss to UCLA, no contest.

Agreed.

In 2nd was the "loss" to Indiana State....I still believe that ref was paid....The guy walked.  The NCAA wanted a Bird-Magic final.

D-macs cuz

if we're talking football, Stoerner fumble I still have the feeling of heartbreak. The recent Texas loss was pretty hard to swallow as well.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Pigonometry on February 27, 2006, 07:12:55 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on February 26, 2006, 04:38:53 pm
1979 versus Indiana State.  It took me literally years to get over it, and I despised Larry Bird for his entire professional career because of it.

Larry Bird was my favorite pro player of all time.  I've never figured out why hog fans hate him for this game ---- Sidney shut him down the last eight minutes.  It was Bob Heaton that threw up the left-handed, off-balance, lucky shot that bounced four times and went in............

I never said that Bird made the last-second shot.  All I said was that I despised Larry Bird for his entire career afterward.  He WAS that ISU team, and because of it, I never forgave him for it.  When he was in Boston afterward, I pulled for ANYBODY playing the Celtics.

Reed was tripped, and Heaton walked his azz off on the shot.  The refs blew that one big time.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

dhornjr1

1. 1979-Indiana State-Larry Bird torched us early, then Sir Sid switched to defend him and shut him down. Then, U.S. Reed gets tripped at mid-court and is called for traveling. Finally, Bob Heaton, a career nobody, shoots an off-balance left-handed (he was right-handed) shot that bounces around the rim and goes through. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGH!!!!!! My dad still has this game on VHS tape. It was recorded live. Hewas telling me about watching it again just the other day. Bryant Gumbel was the floor reporter.

firecampbell

When I came home and from U of A getting beat by UCLA in the national championship, and I found my wife in bed with our neighbor...I've been drinking ever since.

D-macs cuz

Quote from: firecampbell on March 01, 2006, 04:12:19 pm
When I came home and from U of A getting beat by UCLA in the national championship, and I found my wife in bed with our neighbor...I've been drinking ever since.
::)

hogmary

Wake Forest when Sidney fouled out (I thought the foul was on Brewer) and the 1979 Indiana State game.  I enjoyed seeing Larry Bird cry his eyes out after Michigan State beat them in the championship.
Sidney shut him down the whole second half of the game.  US Reed signed autographs for a year after "I was tripped, US Reed".  Of course, the 1995 UCLA game...another reason to hate Missouri...they should have beaten UCLA earlier in the tournament, but had a complete breakdown on defense on the last play.