Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't understand the Stan animosity

Started by PAHog, February 21, 2006, 04:42:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylerhog

dmhog might be nolan himself, let it go dude, Stan wins, no problem, Nutt wins, no problem, they lose, white black yellow green blue pink (aahhhh pink) purple, it dont matter, PROBLEM!!!

Shag66

Hey DM  he meant that 6 TO 8 SEC teams get bowl games dude....

silvertip

Quote from: BigHog396 on February 21, 2006, 05:55:21 pm
Quote from: silvertip on February 21, 2006, 05:08:15 pm
Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on February 21, 2006, 04:47:31 pm
Houston: 6 Bowls. Doing more with less..

Stan: Nothing. Doing less with more.

That "6 bowls" is about the lamest of the hugger excuses.
Check this out:

FOOTBALL: 56/117 = 48% of Div-1 FB schools get a Bowl.

BASKETBALL: 65/325= 20% of BB teams get NCAAT invite.

SO, it's over twice as hard to get to the NCAAT as it is to get to a bowl game.

Furthermore, Nutt has been going downhill with HIS players after starting great with Ford's players. While Heath has been steadily on the rise while doing better as Nolan's boys wash out of the program.

Both coaches have to recruit. SO, tell us why you think Nutt has "less" while Heath has "more"?
You are kidding... right?  When you are a mid-level SEC team, you are basically guaranteed a spot in both bowl games for football, and in the NCAA tournament in basketball year-in and year-out.  The SEC has 7 or 8 guaranteed bowls if we have that many +.500 teams.  In a typical year, the top 6-8 SEC basketball teams make the NCAA tournament.  Your "statistics" are completely skewed, and show just how easy it is to make "statistics" support any point of view you may want to take.

For South-East-North-West Louisiana it's twice as hard, but to say that it is for an SEC school is a total joke.  Our basketball team has basically the same chance the football team does to make post-season play EVERY year.

Well, if your idea of how many SEC teams make the NCAAT in a "typical year" was correct, then you might have a point. The SEC does NOT get 6-8 basketball teams in the NCAAT in the typical year. Typical is 6. Then I would 5 is the next most common number. 7 is very rare & I bet it's never been 8. Can anyone do the research for this question? This is not worth my time, thanks.

Porky OLeary

I'd keep stan before that bumbling fool nutt any day.
Here's why:
Stan has had 4 years of on the job training, and his teams are improving.
Nutt's had 8 years, his teams are declining. Nutt had to hire a high school coach to save his program.
Nutt hates the fans, and at least stan doesn't let any hard feelings show.
Stan represents the program well, while nutt makes the whole state look like inbred idiots.
Smash the nutt, keep the heath.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: Shag66 on February 22, 2006, 12:03:26 am
Hey DM  he meant that 6 TO 8 SEC teams get bowl games dude....

Oh. Nevermind, then. Carry on.

12under

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on February 21, 2006, 04:48:01 pm
I have no animosity toward Stan, I simply want my BB program back among it's rightful place. I think that Stan is a good man but that in no way qualifies him to be a Div.1 HC. And if the rumors of Stan and Ramona being unhappy here are true, he will just leave at the first Big 10 job that offers him. If Stan can turn it around great, if not, then let's get someone in here who can. As far as wanting nutt gone all i can say is that I hate nutt with every fiber of my being, he's an a$$hole with an attitude toward the fans who won't accept mediocrity. I will not care if the Hogs win a NC in football, it will be in spite of the used car salesman and his BS, not because of him.    FIRE nUTT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
god forbid nutt having an attitude toward fans like you.  i guess you know nutt very well calling him and a$$hole.  and if you dont care about our football program, go ahead and step away.  never call yourself a "hog fan" again

mpeacock

100+GM,

So, since you don't "think" Heath can take us to the next level (in your words back to the Final Four, at minimum), despite inheriting in year 1 a group of players that might have struggled to beat A-State and improvement in record and (if you know anything about basketball other than mere stats) obvious improvement in the game-in, game-out quality of play, then your rationale is to get rid of him for this rare (and it is more rare than not) guy (who likely cheats at recruiting) that can turn a program around in 2-3 years?

The attitude of instant gratification permeates not only this entire board but our entire society. If there isn't a pill to take to provide immediate results, then we don't want to hear about it. What ever happened to rewarding class, dignity, and sustained effort and improvement? Oh yeah, since it's "hard" for fans to accept tough losses, in spite of in-your-face progress, they feel entitled to fire someone that has represented the program well, graduates his players (even some of Nolan's, God forbid!), and carries himself with class and dignity. But f*** all of the above, right, we need a Final Four NOW!!! It's ridiculous to truly expect that, and I say that knowing Stan needs to change and improve certain areas of the program. Must be miserable for you to be a Hog fan, 'cuz you have had your expectations fulfilled only 3 times in damn near 30 years!

wishyjoshy

hoggystyle78

Been a Hog fan since 1969, not going anywhere any time soon. I do not know nutt personally but I do hear and see him act like an a$$hole when the fans start complaining because we're tired of excuses and want to field a winning FB team. It's people like you who have your heads up dales butt and will accept mediocrity that have contributed to our program's fall. I have said before, and I will say again, I HATE hOUSTON dALE nUTT, he's an arrogant, egotistical a$$hole who lashed out at the fans who want better for the program. He will be gone soon enough, like when Gus, Alex, and Reggie win enough games to make him attractive to another program, there's no way the egomaniac can stand losing control to a highschool coach, who by the way is a better FB coach than dale. Just remember, "I called that play brotha!"
Quote from: 12under on February 22, 2006, 04:15:21 pm
Quote from: hoggystyle78 on February 21, 2006, 04:48:01 pm
I have no animosity toward Stan, I simply want my BB program back among it's rightful place. I think that Stan is a good man but that in no way qualifies him to be a Div.1 HC. And if the rumors of Stan and Ramona being unhappy here are true, he will just leave at the first Big 10 job that offers him. If Stan can turn it around great, if not, then let's get someone in here who can. As far as wanting nutt gone all i can say is that I hate nutt with every fiber of my being, he's an a$$hole with an attitude toward the fans who won't accept mediocrity. I will not care if the Hogs win a NC in football, it will be in spite of the used car salesman and his BS, not because of him.    FIRE nUTT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
god forbid nutt having an attitude toward fans like you.  i guess you know nutt very well calling him and a$$hole.  and if you dont care about our football program, go ahead and step away.  never call yourself a "hog fan" again

Biggus Piggus

You had a great opportunity to coin "Stanimosity" and didn't do it!  What a bobble.

2002-03  9-19 RPI schedule strength: No.2 in the country (nonconference No. 16)
2003-04  12-16 RPI schedule strength: No. 42 (nonconference No. 229)
2004-05  18-12 RPI schedule strength: No. 96 (nonconference No. 249)
2005-06  17-8 RPI schedule strength: No. 70 (nonconference No. 209)

2002-03 3-12 record vs. top 50 / 1-11 road-neutral record
2003-04 2-12 record vs. top 50 / 2-10 road-neutral record
2004-05 1-8 record vs. top 50 / 5-9 road-neutral record
2005-06 4-6 record vs. top 50 / 4-7 road-neutral record

Stan took one look at the schedules Nolan had been putting together and freaked.  Since then his nonconference schedules have been pantywaisted.  There's most of yer so-called improvement rat cheer.

If we could keep players for 10 years, then a sluggish pace of improvement would be fine.  Alas, they can't stay that long.  We gotta haul hay while the sun shines.  Better finish this season well, or the first four years will have been a complete waste.

Arkansas is a program that ranks second in college basketball for the number of 30-game winners it has produced.  High expectations are reasonable.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: mpeacock on February 22, 2006, 05:41:18 pm
despite inheriting in year 1 a group of players that might have struggled to beat A-State

That first group of players defended and rebounded better than any we've seen since.  Why is that?
[CENSORED]!

HawgWyld

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on February 23, 2006, 07:46:20 am
Been a Hog fan since 1969, not going anywhere any time soon. I do not know nutt personally but I do hear and see him act like an a$$hole when the fans start complaining because we're tired of excuses and want to field a winning FB team. It's people like you who have your heads up dales butt and will accept mediocrity that have contributed to our program's fall. I have said before, and I will say again, I HATE hOUSTON dALE nUTT, he's an arrogant, egotistical a$$hole who lashed out at the fans who want better for the program. He will be gone soon enough, like when Gus, Alex, and Reggie win enough games to make him attractive to another program, there's no way the egomaniac can stand losing control to a highschool coach, who by the way is a better FB coach than dale. Just remember, "I called that play brotha!"

Thank God not everyone in the state runs around talking about what a nice guy Houston Nutt is. You pretty well pegged the man.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 21, 2006, 11:07:10 pm
These people love Nutt and hate Heath when Nutt's teams are getting worse and Heath's improve.

Racists, I tell you. The whole lot of them.

On this board, the % who love Nutt is low.  The % who love Heath is low but rising.  As for the racist remark, if you are saying it is impossible to be disatisfied with Heath's performance without being a racist, you are way out of line.
[CENSORED]!

HawgWyld

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 23, 2006, 08:19:00 am
On this board, the % who love Nutt is low.  The % who love Heath is low but rising.  As for the racist remark, if you are saying it is impossible to be disatisfied with Heath's performance without being a racist, you are way out of line.

Exactly. Fans will love a coach who's winning, and race doesn't matter one whit in that regard. Nolan Richardson could have been elected governor in 1994.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 23, 2006, 08:12:31 am
You had a great opportunity to coin "Stanimosity" and didn't do it!  What a bobble.

2002-03  9-19 RPI schedule strength: No.2 in the country (nonconference No. 16)
2003-04  12-16 RPI schedule strength: No. 42 (nonconference No. 229)
2004-05  18-12 RPI schedule strength: No. 96 (nonconference No. 249)
2005-06  17-8 RPI schedule strength: No. 70 (nonconference No. 209)

2002-03 3-12 record vs. top 50 / 1-11 road-neutral record
2003-04 2-12 record vs. top 50 / 2-10 road-neutral record
2004-05 1-8 record vs. top 50 / 5-9 road-neutral record
2005-06 4-6 record vs. top 50 / 4-7 road-neutral record

Stan took one look at the schedules Nolan had been putting together and freaked.  Since then his nonconference schedules have been pantywaisted.  There's most of yer so-called improvement rat cheer.

If we could keep players for 10 years, then a sluggish pace of improvement would be fine.  Alas, they can't stay that long.  We gotta haul hay while the sun shines.  Better finish this season well, or the first four years will have been a complete waste.

Arkansas is a program that ranks second in college basketball for the number of 30-game winners it has produced.  High expectations are reasonable.

Freaked?  Great logic in that post.  Ever consider the schedule was downgraded a little in order to give a very inexperienced, rebuilding team(thanks to Nolan) confidence and experience winning?

The improvement in the program is obvious despite the agenda by some on this board.  Patience should also be "reasonable".

othermac

stan reaps what he sows here, we have been less than average since he arrived, the time is now for him to show improvement. we have finally gotten a couple of wins out together to show some indication that we are getting better, but the game prior to those we lost to ole miss, who lost 7 in a row beforE we played them and then lost the next 2 by 80. so its really not a "scientific rocket", the sob needs to post some wins, IT IS ABOUT TIME!!!
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

nwarazfan

Quote from: othermac on February 23, 2006, 08:46:42 am
stan reaps what he sows here, we have been less than average since he arrived, the time is now for him to show improvement. we have finally gotten a couple of wins out together to show some indication that we are getting better, but the game prior to those we lost to ole miss, who lost 7 in a row beforE we played them and then lost the next 2 by 80. so its really not a "scientific rocket", the sob needs to post some wins, IT IS ABOUT TIME!!!

sob? nice

othermac

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 23, 2006, 08:48:38 am
Quote from: othermac on February 23, 2006, 08:46:42 am

sob? nice

sob or s.o.b., that's not hateful, we have all been s.o.b.s at one time or another, figuratively speaking of course.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

mpeacock

Biggus,

Good question about the rebounding and defending. I wonder why they continued to be blown out every so often? Let's see could it be the following stats that you failed to mention about the '02-'03 team versus the '05-'06 team:

Points per game ('02-'03):                  PPG ('05-'06):
Us = 61.6                                        Us = 74.1
Opponents = 66.5                             Opp. = 64.6

FG% ('02-'03):                                 FG % ('05-'06):
Us = 39% (3's = 31%)                       Us = 46% (3's still stink = 34%)
Opp. = 41.9% (3's = 33%)                 Opp. = 41.5% (3's = 36%)

I'm not seeing a significant difference in overall defense (you are correct about the rebounding edge, however) being all that much better, and certainly the spike in FG% and PPG decrease the number of your own misses you must chase down for rebounds. I'll agree there has been a lack of intensity and focus with this year's team, at times, but to simplify the factors down to firing the head coach seems silly in the face of progress (which would seem blatantly obvious if you (and I hope you as a board administrator have) closely followed the program, both on and off the stat sheet, over the past four years). This team is not going to lose by 20+ points, and if they do I'll eat my words. (Waits for "the SEC is down" argument to counter). Ole Miss and Miss. St. are the two losses that I feel we truly should look back on with disgust. Never should have lost those.

nwarazfan

Quote from: mpeacock on February 23, 2006, 09:03:17 am
Biggus,

Good question about the rebounding and defending. I wonder why they continued to be blown out every so often? Let's see could it be the following stats that you failed to mention about the '02-'03 team versus the '05-'06 team:

Points per game ('02-'03):                  PPG ('05-'06):
Us = 61.6                                        Us = 74.1
Opponents = 66.5                             Opp. = 64.6

FG% ('02-'03):                                 FG % ('05-'06):
Us = 39% (3's = 31%)                       Us = 46% (3's still stink = 34%)
Opp. = 41.9% (3's = 33%)                 Opp. = 41.5% (3's = 36%)

I'm not seeing a significant difference in overall defense (you are correct about the rebounding edge, however) being all that much better, and certainly the spike in FG% and PPG decrease the number of your own misses you must chase down for rebounds. I'll agree there has been a lack of intensity and focus with this year's team, at times, but to simplify the factors down to firing the head coach seems silly in the face of progress (which would seem blatantly obvious if you (and I hope you as a board administrator have) closely followed the program, both on and off the stat sheet, over the past four years). This team is not going to lose by 20+ points, and if they do I'll eat my words. (Waits for "the SEC is down" argument to counter). Ole Miss and Miss. St. are the two losses that I feel we truly should look back on with disgust. Never should have lost those.

Looks like the program is progressing under Heath. Maybe he has shown more "chops" than some admit.

hogoh

The "Stan animosity" stems from the fact that Stan has not been mediocre long enough, like Nutt has. 

Once Heath has been mediocre for as long as Nutt, the Stockholm Syndrome well settle in, and the haters will turn loyal to Heath.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Damn it for some reason the quote thing is not working on this computer, so I am replying to mpeacocks stats. One reason that could justify saying that the current team is underacheiving is that the 02-03 team played a much harder schedule. The NC and SEC teams were much tougher, allowing for slightly lower stats. Also, the talent difference is huge. The current team has great players while the 02-03 team was made up mainly of scrubs who played hard. Also, the 02-03 team rebounded harder, yet was significantly shorter. Again, they played harder. Those stats may be close in comparision, but based on talent and schedule differences, the current team should have much better.

nwarazfan

Quote from: ShortHog on February 23, 2006, 11:02:19 am
Damn it for some reason the quote thing is not working on this computer, so I am replying to mpeacocks stats. One reason that could justify saying that the current team is underacheiving is that the 02-03 team played a much harder schedule. The NC and SEC teams were much tougher, allowing for slightly lower stats. Also, the talent difference is huge. The current team has great players while the 02-03 team was made up mainly of scrubs who played hard. Also, the 02-03 team rebounded harder, yet was significantly shorter. Again, they played harder. Those stats may be close in comparision, but based on talent and schedule differences, the current team should have much better.

Isn't 18-8 with wins over 4 of the rpi top 50 much better than 9-19?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

NWA I never said that the 02-03 team was better than the current team. I said that when looking at those stats you have to keep those things in mind. This team is obviously better than the 02-03 team. But that team did play much stiffer competition and did have less talent, yet their stats overall are not that much below the current team. I feel it was because they really hussled and played hard. The current team does this in small bursts. If they could do it for 40 minutes, we would be winning the West right now, which IMO is where we should be considering the talent, experience, and depth we have.

pfrg999

It is called  "Stanimosity"  it fits to well.... Besides we like to be pissed when we lose...we are spoilied by success
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

MrsPiggy

ok, so because basketball won a NC in my lifetime and football won one way before I was born, the 2 programs should be held to different standards?  Whatever!

The standard should be the same for both:  improvement over last year, postseason play, conference championship, national championship

Nutt should've have never been given a 2-year pass at the end of his SIXTH year of coaching.  Bad move on Broyles's part.   If you have no committment to winning in football, then how can you justify having one for bastketball?  Hopefully, the basketball team will make it to the NCAAT and eliminate the need to have the discussion of "do we fire Heath when we didn't have the guts to fire Nutt?" 

But there shouldn't be a double standard.  We should expect the best year after year and be willing to take action when it isn't there.   

Ugly Uncle

Karma for you mrs. Piggy.  Say hi to Kermit.
Retired Radio Host