Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Greatest College Football Player From Every State

Started by hogcard1964, April 18, 2017, 07:40:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

We touched a bit on this earlier in regards to the "best Razorback ever". So I thought this was interesting.

Mississippi: Jerry Rice
Missouri: Grant Wistrom
Louisiana: Peyton Manning
Arkansas: Darren McFadden
South Carolina: AJ Green
Florida: Deion Sanders
Georgia: Herschel Walker
Alabama: Bo Jackson
Texas: Sammy Baugh
Tennessee: Reggie White
Kentucky: Jim Marshall-I forgot about Marshall. He was a great one.

http://247sports.com/Gallery/The-greatest-college-football-player-from-every-state-52337080/GallerySlides

mizzouman

Are we talking went to high school in these states or born? 

For Missouri, if it's born, then it's got to be Billy Sims who was born in St. Louis then moved to Texas for high school, I think his freshman year.

If it's 'went to high school', then I would put Roger Wehrli or Justin Smith ahead of Wistrom who was very good, very good.

hogcard1964

Quote from: mizzouman on April 18, 2017, 08:10:03 am

For Missouri, if it's born, then it's got to be Billy Sims who was born in St. Louis then moved to Texas for high school, I think his freshman year.

If it's 'went to high school', then I would put Roger Wehrli or Justin Smith ahead of Wistrom who was very good, very good.

Mel Gray was awfully good.

Pudgepork

Jerry Rice had a great career and a knock for getting open although they always pointed out that he wasn't a speed receiver.  For Mississippi tho, I'd say the best was Bambi.  Some would say Marcus Dupree.

HamSammich

Was moss from South Carolina? Or West Virginia? I'd go ricky Williams Texas to be honest

justmakeit2thebcs

HamSammich

Also in an unpredictable reckless move I'd go Tim tebow for Florida.... was unstoppable in high school, college, and really the pros until being bad in practice stopped him.

jst01

mizzouman

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 08:39:56 am
Mel Gray was awfully good.
Yes, but not from Missouri.  Play for the Cards back in the day.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: jst01 on April 18, 2017, 09:44:00 am
Dan Hampton has done more than DMac.

Read again . . . this is for the "greatest COLLEGE football player".

In other words, based on how they performed in college . . . not the NFL.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 18, 2017, 11:29:33 am
Read again . . . this is for the "greatest COLLEGE football player".

In other words, based on how they performed in college . . . not the NFL.

BOTH Dmac and Hampton were picked fourth in the draft. However since they played different positions it is all about one's bias.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Poker_hog

A lesson for the instate kids.  The great ones almost always play at their home state school.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hogcard1964

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 09:42:06 am
Also in an unpredictable reckless move I'd go Tim tebow for Florida.... was unstoppable in high school, college, and really the pros until being bad in practice stopped him.

+1000

No doubt.  He was a much more impact type of player than Sanders was.  ..."in college".

Hogwild

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 07:40:51 am

Mississippi: Jerry Rice - Didn't go to Ole Miss or Miss. State
Missouri: Grant Wistrom- Didn't go to Mizzou
Louisiana: Peyton Manning- Didn't go to LSU
Arkansas: Darren McFadden
South Carolina: AJ Green- Didn't go to South Carolina
Florida: Deion Sanders- Didn't go to the Gators
Georgia: Herschel Walker
Alabama: Bo Jackson
Texas: Sammy Baugh- Didn't go to A&M
Tennessee: Reggie White
Kentucky: Jim Marshall- Didn't go to Kentucky

Of the 14 conference schools only 4 got the best player from their state.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Poker_hog on April 18, 2017, 12:58:58 pm
A lesson for the instate kids.  The great ones almost always play at their home state school.

Let's hope not for our sake. We NEED out of state great ones....................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HamSammich

This is fun... great topic OP!

lets give this a go

Arkansas -Dmac
Mississippi -I want to say Favre or Air McNair but we are talking college... --- Eli Manning.
LSU -Kevin Faulk
Tenner --- White or Manning.... I'm going Manning
Kentucky -I'm thinking outside the box with Howard Schnellenberger
Bammer- ozzie newsome
Georgia - Walker
Florida- Teeeebow
South CarowhineAh - Brian Dawkins
texas- ricky Williams I guess...  wait/ I forgot earl Campbell ... he is my choice.

EastexHawg

Illinois - Red Grange
Pennsylvania - Tony Dorsett
Texas - Earl Campbell
California - O.J. Simpson
Oregon - Ndamukong Suh (the man should have won the Heisman; he was the best and most dominant player I saw in 2009)
Kansas - Gale Sayers
Ohio - Roger Staubach

Hogwild

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 18, 2017, 04:53:48 pm
Illinois - Red Grange
Pennsylvania - Tony Dorsett

Red Grange was from Pennsylvania, he played college at Illinois

And I respect Gale Sayers but Barry was the Goat from the state of Kansas

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogwild on April 18, 2017, 05:04:48 pm
Red Grange was from Pennsylvania, he played college at Illinois

And I respect Gale Sayers but Barry was the Goat from the state of Kansas

Grange played high school football in Wheaton, Illinois...hence the nickname "Wheaton Iceman". 

I didn't know Barry Sanders is from Kansas.  I didn't look any of these guys up, they were all off the top of my head.  If Sanders is from Kansas I agree he is the greatest.

HamSammich

To be fair guys sanders player college in Oklahoma.... stiff competition in Oklahoma but he is still the goat there

Hogwild

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 18, 2017, 05:41:15 pm
Grange played high school football in Wheaton, Illinois...hence the nickname "Wheaton Iceman". 

I didn't know Barry Sanders is from Kansas.  I didn't look any of these guys up, they were all off the top of my head.  If Sanders is from Kansas I agree he is the greatest.

The only one I looked up was Pennsylvania, between Unitas, Kelly, Montana, Blanda, Namath, Dorsett and George was curious who they went with.  They chose-

http://247sports.com/Gallery/The-greatest-college-football-player-from-every-state-52337080/GallerySlides/526801

justmakeit2thebcs

you guys are going to have to define "from"....My vote would be for where they grew up and played HS.   

Eli Manning wasn't "from" Mississippi, he was from New Orleans.  Plus Archie was way better in college than Eli.

Hogwild

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 05:50:57 pm
To be fair guys sanders player college in Oklahoma.... stiff competition in Oklahoma but he is still the goat there

Its not where they played college ball, it is where they are from, hence Manning is listed for Louisiana and not Tennessee. I haven't looked it up Oklahoma, but I would think their choice would be  Jim Thorpe.

HamSammich

Quote from: Hogwild on April 18, 2017, 06:27:59 pm

Its not where they played college ball, it is where they are from, hence Manning is listed for Louisiana and not Tennessee. I haven't looked it up Oklahoma, but I would think their choice would be  Jim Thorpe.

I think the OP needs to clear this mess up..... "The Greatest College Football Player From Every State "

daBoar

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 18, 2017, 05:27:32 pm
Yep, my vote would be Danimal.
While I agree that Hampton meant more to the Hogs than DMac, I believe the greatest from Arkansas was Keith Jackson. He had a stellar college career and was on a national championship team, where his stats were worth something.   Important to me, he had a solid pro career.

sowmonella

Hampton was great but D Mac should have won 2 Heisman Trophies. He was far and away the best in college.   Keith Jackson was a better pro than both.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: sowmonella on April 18, 2017, 07:59:13 pm
Hampton was great but D Mac should have won 2 Heisman Trophies. He was far and away the best in college.   Keith Jackson was a better pro than both.

He should have won one over the Ohio state qb.  Hard to argue him winning over tebow when he couldn't even get more rushing TDs than him. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

TheGrove68

Quote from: mizzouman on April 18, 2017, 08:10:03 am

What about Winslow....
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

Inhogswetrust

hogcard1964

No, Hampton was dominant.

hogcard1964

HognitiveDissonance

The "from" subject is tricky, and each site will have their definition.

For example, Sports Illustrated to celebrate their 50th Anniversary compiled a list of rankings, one of which was 'Greatest Athlete From Each State'.
Their definition was trickier, but made the most sense.
They didn't go by birthplace. They went by where is that person/athlete most associated with?
For example, John Daly was born in Carmichael, CA but best known for Arkansas. So he was counted under Arkansas.
On the other hand, Bear Bryant was born in Moro Bottoms, AR but most associated with Alabama. So he was counted under Alabama.
This method makes the most sense. Otherwise, you have guys who spent a few months or years in one state but most of their life somewhere else.
Douglas McArthur, famous Civil War general, was born in Little Rock, but considered himself a Virginian. Arkansas shouldn't claim him.
Frank Broyles was born in Georgia, but has coached/lived nearly his entire life in Arkansas, so Arkansas should claim him.
Lou Brock, famous Cardinals baseball player, was born in El Dorado and I'm sure he's in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame, but he only lived a few years there. It's silly for Ark to induct him.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 19, 2017, 09:56:30 am
The "from" subject is tricky, and each site will have their definition.

For example, Sports Illustrated to celebrate their 50th Anniversary compiled a list of rankings, one of which was 'Greatest Athlete From Each State'.
Their definition was trickier, but made the most sense.
They didn't go by birthplace. They went by where is that person/athlete most associated with?
For example, John Daly was born in Carmichael, CA but best known for Arkansas. So he was counted under Arkansas.
On the other hand, Bear Bryant was born in Moro Bottoms, AR but most associated with Alabama. So he was counted under Alabama.
This method makes the most sense. Otherwise, you have guys who spent a few months or years in one state but most of their life somewhere else.
Douglas McArthur, famous Civil War general, was born in Little Rock, but considered himself a Virginian. Arkansas shouldn't claim him.
Frank Broyles was born in Georgia, but has coached/lived nearly his entire life in Arkansas, so Arkansas should claim him.
Lou Brock, famous Cardinals baseball player, was born in El Dorado and I'm sure he's in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame, but he only lived a few years there. It's silly for Ark to induct him.

Please tell me Daly wasn't listed as Arkansas' best athlete?

mizzouman

Quote from: TheGrove68 on April 19, 2017, 02:24:32 am
What about Winslow....
Played at Mizzou but from ESTL, Illinois.  May have been born Missouri, not sure.  I know he played high school ball at ESTL. 

Anyway, depends on the question.  Sims was a Heisman winner and born in STL but moved to Texas in the 9th grade.

Hard to say Winslow, as great as he was in college, was better than a Heisman winner.

mizzouman

EastexHawg

Douglas MacArthur a Civil War general?  He looked pretty good wading ashore in the Philippines considering he must have been close to 120 years old by that time.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 19, 2017, 10:08:43 am
Just an example. I don't recall who SI picked from Arkansas.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 19, 2017, 01:05:43 pm
Douglas MacArthur a Civil War general?  He looked pretty good wading ashore in the Philippines considering he must have been close to 120 years old by that time.
Brain fart.
World War II, obviously.

HognitiveDissonance

Looks like they chose Scottie Pippen to represent Arkansas.

Here's the list of working names to consider for Arkansas. I just googled this stuff.

ARKANSAS

1. Paul (Bear) Bryant Four states could claim him

2. Sonny Liston Heavyweight was 50-4-0 as pro

3. Bill Dickey Soul of Yankees in 1930s and '40s

4. Scottie Pippen One of the NBA's alltime top 50

5. Brooks Robinson 16 Gold Gloves at the hot corner

6. Dizzy Dean Ace of the Gas House Gang

7. Sidney Moncrief Five-time NBA All-Star

8. Don Hutson Possibly the best receiver ever

9. Barry Switzer Champion coach in college and NFL

10. George Kell Lifetime .306 hitter

11. Frank Broyles 144 wins as Arkansas grid coach

12. Nolan Richardson Led Hogs to 1994 hoops title

13. Bill Carr 400-meter gold at 1932 Olympics

14. Jerry Jones Arkansas alum made good

15. John McDonnell 34 NCAA titles as track coach

16. Hazel Walker Hoops star from 1933 to '65

17. Johnny Sain 24 wins for Braves in 1948

18. John Daly PGA title in 1991, British Open in '95

19. Bobby Mitchell Hurdler became NFL star

20. Joan Crawford AAU All-America in basketball

21. Willie Davis Anchor of Packers' defensive line

22. Ken Hatfield Twice led nation in punt returns

23. Mark Martin 17 seasons on NASCAR circuit

24. Corliss Williamson Star of Hogs' 1994 title team

25. Travis Jackson Hit over .300 six times for Giants

26. Wilson Matthews Coached 10 HS football champs

27. Ron Brewer Triplet played eight years in NBA

28. Fred Williams Defensive tackle in four Pro Bowls

29. Bettye Fiscus Razorbacks' first female hoops star

30. Clyde (Smackover) Scott 1940s multisport star

31. Reece (Goose) Tatum Harlem Globetrotter

32. Don Kessinger Six-time NL All-Star with Cubs

33. Cliff Harris Five Super Bowls, five Pro Bowls

34. Paul Runyan PGA winner in 1934 and '38

35. Dan Hampton All-America defensive tackle

36. Eddie Hamm Set world long jump record in 1928

37. Paul (Daffy) Dean Won 19 in Cards' 1934 title year

38. Caldwell Jones 14 seasons in the NBA

39. Jim Benton Led NCAA in receptions in 1937

40. Earl Bell Bronze in pole vault at 1984 Olympics

41. Dutch Harrison Won 18 PGA tournaments

42. Keith Jackson Tight end played in five Pro Bowls

43. Thomas Freeman Welterweight was 155-18-12

44. Billy Ray Smith Sr. Stellar defensive lineman

45. Ken Kavanaugh Scored on 50 of 162 receptions

46. Wear Schoonover All-America at end in 1929

47. Elijah Pitts Won five titles with Green Bay

48. Marvin Delph Third Triplet led Hogs in scoring

49. Monte Coleman LB with three Super Bowl rings

50. Amber Nicholas Stalwart Arkansas point guard

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on April 19, 2017, 10:56:03 am
Born at some intersection, some corner, right?

Take it easy Mizzouman................

Inhogswetrust

Big bull. Hampton's in the pro HOF. Keith isn't.

HamSammich

Sonny Liston is from Arkansas??? How did innot know that!?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 19, 2017, 01:05:43 pm

Smoke from a corn cob pipe makes you live longer I guess.......................

HamSammich

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 19, 2017, 10:08:43 am

Either Daly or Joe Johnson are the richest arkansans from sports all time. I could
Live with either being known as our best.

mizzouman

mizzouman

Quote from: HamSammich on April 19, 2017, 02:36:44 pm
Sonny Liston is from Arkansas??? How did innot know that!?
Spent time in St. Louis and in the Penitentiary.

LSUFan

Archie Manning.

Best QB in NFL history, just couldn't get an SOB to block or catch the ball.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Hogwild

Quote from: LSUFan on April 19, 2017, 10:25:47 pm
Archie Manning.

Best QB in NFL history, just couldn't get an SOB to block or catch the ball.

Archie Manning was ranked #1 in  the best of the worst, it was an NFL film. (watched it when I was reassigned to New Orleans)
He went 35-91 as an Saint, but didn't win game after that as Olier or Viking.

TheGrove68

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 19, 2017, 04:54:08 am
He's from Arizona................

He was Born In St.Louis played at Mizzou....Kellen Winslow
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot