Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steph Curry

Started by RazorPiggie, June 29, 2017, 08:14:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

Gets a sponsor's exemption for a Web.com event, really?

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 29, 2017, 08:14:40 am
Gets a sponsor's exemption for a Web.com event, really?

He's a scratch golfer and I believe has shot par at Augusta.  He's a huge golf fan and has said if he weren't in the NBA he would give golf a shot.  As for the web.com, they need all the publicity they can get.

EastexHawg

Why would anyone, other than someone far down the list among Web.com golfers, mind if Curry gets to play in one event?  If you are an alternate on the Web.com tour do you really expect that a sponsor is going to say "we really need that guy" and give you an exemption?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 09:11:04 am
I believe has shot par at Augusta.
Maybe from the womens tees with a mully per 9 and gimmes.

Hawgndaaz

no different than tebow getting moved up in the minors.

publicity stunt to sell tickets (and I'm fine with it)

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 29, 2017, 09:53:49 am

Dude can play golf, he'll probably win it.

Jim Harris

They don't have women's tees. They have members tees and professional tees. I hear mullies are frowned upon. Gimmes, not so much.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2017, 09:59:23 am
Dude can play golf, he'll probably win it.

That would be terrific. Anyway, the sponsors' exemption is a win for the sponsor, they even have people on Hogville talking about a tournament that otherwise nobody outside of the Web.com golfers would have known about.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on June 29, 2017, 10:01:57 am
That would be terrific. Anyway, the sponsors' exemption is a win for the sponsor, they even have people on Hogville talking about a tournament that otherwise nobody outside of the Web.com golfers would have known about.

He won't win win, but he's worthy of a sponsor's exemption on both name, and his golf game. Now, some local Jr amateur probably didn't get in, but besides his family, no one would follow him.

Wildhog

A 2 handicap will get absolutely destroyed.  I'd be floored if he didn't come in dead last.

I get it, publicity-wise.  Kinda rubs me the wrong way, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Jerry Rice has played in this tournament three times on a sponsor's exemption, so it isn't groundbreaking.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2017, 11:34:02 am
Jerry Rice has played in this tournament three times on a sponsor's exemption, so it isn't groundbreaking.

Didn't realize that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 29, 2017, 11:34:56 am
Didn't realize that.

"NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice, who carries a slightly better handicap than Curry, has played in the Ellie Mae Classic three times, never coming close to making the cut."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/06/28/stephen-currys-goal-at-pro-golf-tournament-not-go-happy-gilmore/?utm_term=.8a6b731c3530

onebadrubi

Whats wrong with a professional athlete being good at another sport?  It obviously is something you are insecure about for some reason.  You do know tony Romo has tried to qualify for multple US opens dont you?

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 11:41:41 am
Whats wrong with a professional athlete being good at another sport?  It obviously is something you are insecure about for some reason.  You do know tony Romo has tried to qualify for multple US opens dont you?

Big difference between trying to qualify for an open and getting a sponsor's exemption to a tour event.  I could try to qualify for the Open if I wanted.  It'd be pointless, but I could.

If he weren't an NBA superstar, he would have a zero percent chance of getting into this tournament.  A two handicap has no business on the Web.com tour, and I'm not sure you understand that. 

It's just a PR stunt, and one they've done before, as Rice pointed out.

1909/1964/1965/1977

RagingHawgOn

Wonder if he'll play with a mouthpiece hanging out?  Dude just kinda pisses me off to look at him.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on June 29, 2017, 12:56:36 pm
Big difference between trying to qualify for an open and getting a sponsor's exemption to a tour event.  I could try to qualify for the Open if I wanted.  It'd be pointless, but I could.

If he weren't an NBA superstar, he would have a zero percent chance of getting into this tournament.  A two handicap has no business on the Web.com tour, and I'm not sure you understand that. 

It's just a PR stunt, and one they've done before, as Rice pointed out.

There is also a difference in a tour event and a web.com event.  Web.com is begging for publicity and found just a person that could bring JUST THAT!  I'm not sure you understand that.  If this were the quicken loans pga event, I don't think he would be extended the offer nor do I think he would accept the offer. 

NO one has tried to deny it's a PR stunt.

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 02:13:08 pm
There is also a difference in a tour event and a web.com event.  Web.com is begging for publicity and found just a person that could bring JUST THAT!  I'm not sure you understand that.  If this were the quicken loans pga event, I don't think he would be extended the offer nor do I think he would accept the offer. 

I just didn't understand you going after RazorPiggie.  Insecure about him being good at more than one sport?  It didn't make sense to me.

1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 11:41:41 am

Nothing wrong at all with Pro athletes being good at other sports. If he somehow qualified to play in the tournament I would have no problem with this at all. But in my opinion he is taking a spot away from someone that is trying to make it in the golf world. Not someone that has millions of dollars and is a household name, that will more than likely miss the cut by a large number. Why not give it to a local college golfer or an elite Jr golfer (Spieth @ HP Byron Nelson in 2010) that will try to make it his profession one day?

And there is no comparison to Romo trying to qualify for the US Open rather than getting a sponsor's exemption. Has Curry ever tried to qualify for any tournament?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 02:13:08 pm

I think he'd accept the offer.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on June 29, 2017, 02:15:23 pm
I just didn't understand you going after RazorPiggie.  Insecure about him being good at more than one sport?  It didn't make sense to me.

I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

Like I said I would prefer it go to someone trying to further their golf career. Not some NBA superstar doing it for fun.

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 29, 2017, 02:28:48 pm

Like I said I would prefer it go to someone trying to further their golf career. Not some NBA superstar doing it for fun.

Agreed.  It's just kinda bush league for a serious tour.

That's their prerogative, though.  They'll certainly sell more tickets/have more TV viewers now.
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

He's taking one out of about 156 spots (based on the one Web.com tournament I looked up)  There are what, something like 144 in the field in a typical PGA Tour field and 156 here?  If Steph Curry taking one sponsor's exemption out of 300 possible slots is keeping you from being able to play that weekend, I don't think it makes much sense to say he is the reason you are unable to make a living and pursue your dream.

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 29, 2017, 04:02:56 pm
He's taking one out of about 156 spots (based on the one Web.com tournament I looked up)  There are what, something like 144 in the field in a typical PGA Tour field and 156 here?  If Steph Curry taking one sponsor's exemption out of 300 possible slots is keeping you from being able to play that weekend, I don't think it makes much sense to say he is the reason you are unable to make a living and pursue your dream.

Not an unreasonable point.  I doubt the guy that got left out because of this cares, though.

It's their tournament.  It's just bush league, is all I'm saying.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on June 29, 2017, 02:55:56 pm
Agreed.  It's just kinda bush league for a serious tour.

That's their prerogative, though.  They'll certainly sell more tickets/have more TV viewers now.

It is the Web.com tour.

No they won't, people have work on Thursday and Friday. Steph won't be there on the weekend.

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 29, 2017, 04:54:00 pm
It is the Web.com tour.

Which is a big time tour, IMO.  Those guys are insanely good.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 29, 2017, 04:54:48 pm
Which is a big time tour, IMO.  Those guys are insanely good.

Yeah, several guys who've been on the tour, and lots looking for their break to get on it. There's very little difference in the majority of the guys on the tours, they all hit it far and have a good iron game, it's making putts.

hogbud

At least it's not Michelle or Anika taking up spots on PGA tour.

hawgon

Curry seems to have the right attitude about it.  He said he was out there to have fun and raise some money for charity.  And he added that he hoped he didn't get embarrassed too bad.  Rice, on the other hand had delusions of competing.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hogbud on June 29, 2017, 06:10:59 pm

Is this you Vijay?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 29, 2017, 02:28:48 pm

Trying to figure what out?  The dude has gone on record playing with others at Augusta shooting par and you take a shot that he played from the womens and had a mulligan when there aren't even women's tees, and I'm. It exactlybsure but I think it was from the tips.  Not much to figure out after your comment to understand where mine came from.

It's not bush league, it's someone trying to attract attention to an event to raise money.  It's a sponsors exemption, in sorry you guys don't understand the meaning of exactly that.

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 11:02:32 pm
Trying to figure what out?  The dude has gone on record playing with others at Augusta shooting par and you take a shot that he played from the womens and had a mulligan when there aren't even women's tees, and I'm. It exactlybsure but I think it was from the tips.  Not much to figure out after your comment to understand where mine came from.

It's not bush league, it's someone trying to attract attention to an event to raise money.  It's a sponsors exemption, in sorry you guys don't understand the meaning of exactly that.

Understand, I don't really care.  I don't watch golf anyway.

But it's a little bush to have a player in the field who isn't even there to compete.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on June 29, 2017, 11:08:40 pm
Understand, I don't really care.  I don't watch golf anyway.

But it's a little bush to have a player in the field who isn't even there to compete.

So it was bush league to have jack playing in the masters 10 years ago?  In ALL actuality, you are making a ststaemrnt that you actually have no clue about.  You are assuming he can't compete.  Albeit, I don't expect him to win or even finish close, but there is not a single person that knows. 

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 11:13:52 pm
So it was bush league to have jack playing in the masters 10 years ago?  In ALL actuality, you are making a ststaemrnt that you actually have no clue about.  You are assuming he can't compete.  Albeit, I don't expect him to win or even finish close, but there is not a single person that knows. 

I heard on Bo's show today that he scores mainly in the mid-70's, posting a low score of 71.

The winner of the Ellie Mae Classic last year shot -30.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jim Harris on June 29, 2017, 10:00:32 am
They don't have women's tees. They have members tees and professional tees. I hear mullies are frowned upon. Gimmes, not so much.

Some who have managed to get on the course actually say that is something that is weird about playing at ANGC.  They feel the members tees makes the course too short, and they feel the professional tees makes the course too long.

Probably need a set of tees between those 2 existing tees.

Then you have the fact that Hole 14 and Hole 17 are blah holes.  Also, some feel the 18th Hole is a disappointing finishing hole for such a highly thought of course.

Courses such as Southern Hills and Merion (East Course) don't have 3 weak holes.  Also, probably no weak holes at Crystal Downs and Shinnecock Hills.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 29, 2017, 11:51:14 pm
Some who have managed to get on the course actually say that is something that is weird about playing at ANGC.  They feel the members tees makes the course too short, and they feel the professional tees makes the course too long.

Then you have the fact that Hole 14 and Hole 17 are blah holes.  Also, some feel the 18th Hole is a disappointing finishing hole for such a highly thought of course.

Courses such as Southern Hills and Merion (East Course) don't have 3 weak holes.  Also, probably no weak holes at Crystal Downs and Shinnecock Hills.

And guess what?  Larger couldn't win the masters if he played from the member tees

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2017, 02:10:10 am
And guess what?  Larger couldn't win the masters if he played from the member tees

He has won there twice from the professional tees (1985 and 1993).

Langer has 106 wins during his professional career (which is only 11 wins away from Jack Nicklaus' 117 wins as a professional).  Highly doubtful Langer is playing from member tees at any course.

ricepig

Nah, it's good, there really isn't that big of difference between them.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 11:02:32 pm

My gosh the womens tee statement was a joke!

I still don't believe he shot par at Augusta. The rating is what around 78?

I'd just rather see the exemption go to someone that is a local college golfer or a elite local Jr golfer that will try to pursue golf as their profession.

It may get more people inside the ropes on Thursday and Friday but he won't come close to making the cut.

I hope you have fun watching Steph though. I know won't be. I may look it up that Monday to see how bad he did.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 30, 2017, 02:20:36 am
He has won there twice from the professional tees (1985 and 1993).

Langer has 106 wins during his professional career (which is only 11 wins away from Jack Nicklaus' 117 wins as a professional).  Highly doubtful Langer is playing from member tees at any course.

Sure, 25 years ago.  I'm referring to the last decade and the next

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 30, 2017, 08:23:04 am
My gosh the womens tee statement was a joke!

I still don't believe he shot par at Augusta. The rating is what around 78?

I'd just rather see the exemption go to someone that is a local college golfer or a elite local Jr golfer that will try to pursue golf as their profession.

It may get more people inside the ropes on Thursday and Friday but he won't come close to making the cut.

Ok, so how does giving the exemption to someone who also is merely there for to play because of their amateur status any different?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2017, 02:10:10 am

Who is Larger?

Dillar Dog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2017, 08:25:44 am
Ok, so how does giving the exemption to someone who also is merely there for to play because of their amateur status any different?

The amateur could more than likely break 80 on that course?

onebadrubi

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2017, 08:25:44 am

Coulda gave it to Maverick McNealy from Stanford. He's getting some sponsors exemptions from PGA tour events. He's ranked #2 Am in the world and is an All-American. I'd bet he'd make the cut and probably contend. Could be a great jump start to his career on the tours.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 30, 2017, 08:39:25 am
Coulda gave it to Maverick McNealy from Stanford. He's getting some sponsors exemptions from PGA tour events. He's ranked #2 Am in the world and is an All-American. I'd bet he'd make the cut and probably contend. Could be a great jump start to his career on the tours.

Can't, he and Goose have to save us from the Ruskies.

Jim Harris

Perry Maxwell redesigned hole No. 14. How can you of all people say it is a blah hole? ;)

Jim Harris

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2017, 11:15:01 am
How many people will run out and apply for a mortgage with Ellie Mae because of this? 
Now if the sponsor was for Maker's Mark (or better) then I'd see the logic, and be willing to give it a go......

I don't know, but until this week I didn't even know there was any other Ellie Mae but the Clampett one. Maybe somebody who just heard about it and needs a loan will apply. Seems to me the biggest thing was getting people out there to the tournament, which Steph Curry will do. Heck, they could give a special invite to Charles Barkley and get more people out there than a regular Web.com event would draw.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 30, 2017, 08:39:25 am

It's a Bay Area tournament affiliated with the golden state warriors foundation.   As Chris carter would say, come on man.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogbud on June 29, 2017, 06:10:59 pm

I didn't mind the Annika thing back in '03 or whenever it was.  She was a clear-cut #1 in the world for the ladies at that time, and having her compete on a course where she could conceivably do okay was intriguing.  Plus it hadn't been tried in forever and she made it clear it was a one-time thing.  I thought she handled it well and I was fine with it.

Michelle Wie, on the other hand, was a publicity hound (or more accurately, her parents were), and I know she accepted exemptions to five or six tournaments, maybe more, before everyone finally caught on.  Her schtick wore thin right away and she should never have been given exemptions after that first one.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.