Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#1 basketball recruit in the nation goes to.....

Started by cwwyatt, August 04, 2008, 01:13:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Kevin

no, dwon clifton is his aau coach.  he was hired at baylor as player development coach.  i know the guys at baylor, i thought they were above this.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

newhog

Porkatarian

I'm thrilled with his decision.  That sure can't hurt our chances with A.J. Walton!

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

hawgsav1

I don't know if we'll have room for Walton with Shawne Williams and Jenirro Bush coming in...I hope we do though...

Though, has anyone noticed the late trend of great HS players going to mediocre schools in order to help "improve" the program?  Look at OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Demarcus Cousins, Demar DeRozan, etc.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

razorzapp

i can't believe the ncaa hasn't put a stop to this kind of thing yet.

pitbull1

Whats with Baylor this year, they've gotten some hugh commitments this year???

Porkatarian

Quote from: hawgsav1 on August 04, 2008, 08:41:53 pm
I don't know if we'll have room for Walton with Shawne Williams and Jenirro Bush coming in...I hope we do though...

Though, has anyone noticed the late trend of great HS players going to mediocre schools in order to help "improve" the program?  Look at OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Demarcus Cousins, Demar DeRozan, etc.

I'm pretty sure that Walton will get a scholarship before Bush.  Too bad we don't have room for both, but it's a good problem to have.

Pel is flat out upgrading our talent.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Jeffcphog

Alot of AAU coaches are using these kids to enrich their pocketbooks.  It just does not seem right.  I love the AAU, but it needs to be regulated as to who has contact and influence on these young men.

CollinsvilleHawg

I love the fact that his team name is D-One and his coach's name is Dwon...wonderful.

311Hog

Oh yeah this looks totally legit and above board......

I can almost see the NCAA investigation now.  Baylor of all places stooping to these tactics.

Marc Maggard

There is a 20 year (or longer) history of teams making hires to get players.....not sure why anyone thinks this is a new thing, or something that would incite and investigation.....it won't.

mm

mhogs

Peter Venkman

Quote from: Marc Maggard on August 05, 2008, 03:01:10 pm
There is a 20 year (or longer) history of teams making hires to get players.....not sure why anyone thinks this is a new thing, or something that would incite and investigation.....it won't.

mm

I think Danny Manning's dad was on Larry Brown's staff at Kansas.

Can anyone confirm this or think of another example from years past?

Kevin

yes, danny manning's dad was hired by larry brown.

found out today the player who transferred from michigan to baylor after he visited us and we wondered why.

rumor is his aau coach was paid $20,000 to speak at the baylor camps this summer.  remember this is rumor.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorzapp

mm

i know it's not a new thing.  i just don't understand why it's still allowed to go on.

sasnakrafan

mario chalmers dad is an assistant and kansas and therefore he went to kansas. oru tried to steal rotnei from us by hiring his dad. i think the talks about hiring a coach or a father shouldn't be allowed to happen until after the kid commits to the school- then we will really see how many schools still hire coaches and fathers on credentials as oppose to trying to gain a commit.

rude1

Yeah thats like hiring a kids high school coach to become your offensive coordinator inorder to secure their commitment. Oh wait, we did that, never mind.

Peter Venkman

I recently read Mitch Albom's "The Fab Five: Basketball, Trash Talk, and the American Dream" and Steve Fisher hired Jalen Rose's high school coach in order to secure his servies. (There is actually a bunch of illegal activity described in the book including Mississippi State calling Chris Webber's parents and offering an absurd amount of money Chris to come to Starkville. {insert Starkville joke here})

I also read that K-State hired Michael Beasley's AAU coach. The same article also stated that when the AAU coach called Beasley to inform him where he was going Beasley said he didn't know where Kansas was on the map. I guess Beasley wanted to go to K-State to put them on the map.

It seems to be a common practice.

Adam Stokes

Seems like a Mustain/Malzahn scenario.  I don't think stuff like this is too wrong.  Baylor will be stuck with a lower level coach for a couple years and will get Wall for only one.  It greatly improves our chances with Walton and Wall's going to a team that never really plays us.  They will always be team #4 in Texas anyways.  Regardless, do what it takes to get the best kids on campus.  If it isn't against the rules it isn't cheating.

cwwyatt

Quote from: ajs15razorman on August 06, 2008, 02:18:15 pm
  They will always be team #4 in Texas anyways. 

They wont even be that low in the Big 12.  Baylor is poised for a conference run this year fellas.  OU is the only Big 12 team that is more talented on paper.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: cwwyatt on August 06, 2008, 02:46:01 pm
They wont even be that low in the Big 12.  Baylor is poised for a conference run this year fellas.  OU is the only Big 12 team that is more talented on paper.

yeah on paper Baylor is talented.   I say they will finish no higher than 4th in the Big 12.

olivebranchhog

mm

i wonder if anyone else remembers a team hiring a players coach to help get the recuit. coughmitchmustaincough. remember that when you talk about this situation
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

cwwyatt

I dont think Arkansas is on Williams radar, look for him to commit to Texas soon.

Quote from: hawgsav1 on August 04, 2008, 08:41:53 pm

hawgsav1

Quote from: cwwyatt on August 08, 2008, 10:17:01 am
I dont think Arkansas is on Williams radar, look for him to commit to Texas soon.

Yeah, I had just read about Williams committing to texas.  Kind of a shame.  Eh, I'm sure things will work out.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

razorzapp

Quote from: olivebranchhog on August 06, 2008, 05:48:36 pm
i wonder if anyone else remembers a team hiring a players coach to help get the recuit. coughmitchmustaincough. remember that when you talk about this situation

I don't put one of the best young offensive coaches in the country and someone's AAU basketball coach in the same category.

Lake City Hog

I suppose that if Bev. leaves that will open up another scholly for this year?

rude1

Quote from: razorzapp on August 09, 2008, 11:56:23 am
I don't put one of the best young offensive coaches in the country and someone's AAU basketball coach in the same category.
It is in the same category. NOBODY hires a coach right out of highschool to be an offensive coordinator in the premier conference in the nation. This was something that was out of the norm. Normally a guy is brought in to be a position coach for years before ever earning a coordinators position. This was done for one reason and only one reason. Get those Springdale kids on campus.

razorzapp

Quote from: rude1 on August 09, 2008, 11:25:13 pm
It is in the same category. NOBODY hires a coach right out of highschool to be an offensive coordinator in the premier conference in the nation. This was something that was out of the norm. Normally a guy is brought in to be a position coach for years before ever earning a coordinators position. This was done for one reason and only one reason. Get those Springdale kids on campus.

yeah you are right.  gus had to have been strickly hired for that reason.  afterall he has shown he doesn't know what he's doing and was just riding the coat tails of the springdale kids.  that's why we created a position for him and hired him.  just like dwon clifton at baylor this year.

Billy

Quote from: rude1 on August 09, 2008, 11:25:13 pm
It is in the same category. NOBODY hires a coach right out of highschool to be an offensive coordinator in the premier conference in the nation. This was something that was out of the norm.  NORMALLY a guy is brought in to be a position coach for years before ever earning a coordinators position. This was done for one reason and only one reason. Get those Springdale kids on campus.
i think the terms norm and normally cannot apply to gus. he has proven he is legit on his own 2 feet. heck, he may prove it to us first hand this year.

razorzapp

Quote from: Billy on August 10, 2008, 09:31:37 pm
i think the terms norm and normally cannot apply to gus. he has proven he is legit on his own 2 feet. heck, he may prove it to us first hand this year.

i hope not but me just might.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: razorzapp on August 10, 2008, 07:37:20 pm
yeah you are right.  gus had to have been strickly hired for that reason.  afterall he has shown he doesn't know what he's doing and was just riding the coat tails of the springdale kids.  that's why we created a position for him and hired him.  just like dwon clifton at baylor this year.

ok so what if the head coach of south panola high school in batesville ms was hired on at ole miss to be the head dc. And in turn brought his best players(3-4 star and 2-3 star prospects) to ole miss. would that be a different situation?
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

jgphillips3

So...anyone think some money is changing hands at Baylor?

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Peter Venkman on August 06, 2008, 10:54:13 am
I recently read Mitch Albom's "The Fab Five: Basketball, Trash Talk, and the American Dream" and Steve Fisher hired Jalen Rose's high school coach in order to secure his servies. (There is actually a bunch of illegal activity described in the book including Mississippi State calling Chris Webber's parents and offering an absurd amount of money Chris to come to Starkville. {insert Starkville joke here})

I also read that K-State hired Michael Beasley's AAU coach. The same article also stated that when the AAU coach called Beasley to inform him where he was going Beasley said he didn't know where Kansas was on the map. I guess Beasley wanted to go to K-State to put them on the map.

It seems to be a common practice.
Anybody remember Allan Houston?  His dad was on Denny Crum's staff at Louisville when he signed with the Cards out of high school.  Afterwards, Tennessee hired Wade Houston and little Houston was allowed to follow his dad to Tennessee.  Crum released him from his LOI to follow his dad.  Reportedly, this is the sole reason for hiring Wade.  Get the All-Everything from Ballard High in Kentucky.

razorback44

"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR