Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charles Barkley admits he doesn’t hate Univ. of Alabama; just 'ungrateful brats'

Started by jbcarol, September 28, 2023, 08:01:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Charles Barkley admits he doesn't hate Alabama, just Tide fans he calls 'ungrateful brats'

By Mark Heim |

QuoteIt's Auburn-Georgia week. Hate should be spewing, right?

Charles Barkley joked, "You can't have that much hate in your heart."

That's right. The Inside the NBA analyst and former Auburn basketball star has only hate in his heart for one rival. On Wednesday, he joined "The Next Round," and he was asked if he hates Georgia.

"Not really," he said. "I hate Alabama. That's a different animal."

The former NBA star revealed, however, the hate is pointed in a very specific direction.

"I really don't hate Alabama," he admitted. "I just want to beat them. I hate their fans because they're obnoxious. They lost two games last year, and it was like, 'Kill us now. That's the end of the world.' Then, after the lost to Texas, it was like, 'Oh my God.'

"You got the greatest coach ever. They are a bunch of ungrateful brats. That's the only thing I hate about Alabama. Listen, Alabama's a great program. I have a lot of friends that played there. You know how much love and respect I have for coach (Nick) Saban, but I just hate their fans because they are obnoxious and entitled."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

What excites Charles Barkley the most about Auburn basketball?

The lofty expectations

By Ainslie Lee |

QuoteAuburn basketball icon Charles Barkley jokes that he feels like his time as a student-athlete at Auburn was 100 years ago.

But it was really just over 40 years ago that Barkley sported the No. 34 jersey for the Tigers. However, when you think about the direction of the Auburn men's basketball program since then, it does feel like it's been much longer than that.

Before Barkley arrived to The Plains in 1981, the Tigers had never appeared in the NCAA Tournament.

With "Sir Charles" leading the way during a season he was also crowned the SEC's Player of the Year, Auburn finally punched its ticket to the big dance in 1984.

In the years immediately following Barkley's time at Auburn, the Tigers continued to be NCAA Tournament contenders before seeing a drop off in the early- and mid-1990s. Auburn returned to the tournament just before the turn of millennium in 1999 and then again in 2000 and 2003.

But then Auburn experienced a 15-year drought and didn't return to the tournament until the 2018 season.

"I gotta tell you, as much as I love Auburn and have high expectations, I never thought Auburn would make it to the Final Four... ever."

--Barkley

So when Bruce Pearl led the Tigers to the Final Four in 2019, you can bet it was a pleasant surprise.

And that pleasant surprise has sense changed the expectations of Auburn men's basketball.

"Ever since we made it to the Final Four one time, that changed the whole dynamics of the program.

"My goal in coming to Auburn was to get the basketball program up to the level of excellence that the rest of the sports programs enjoyed and the other parts of the university enjoyed," Pearl said ahead of Auburn's first practice on Sept. 26. "So whatever that means."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Watch Charles Barkley 'push' Adam Silver on 'disturbing' NBA domestic violence

Mark Heim

QuoteCharles Barkley changed the tone of "Inside the NBA" on Tuesday during the NBA's opening night when he asked league commissioner Adam Silver about "disturbing" domestic violence issues connected to the league.

Prior to the start of the Lakers-Nuggets game in Denver, Barkley raised the question instead of cutting to commercial.

"I got a serious question for you," Barkley said. "There's a couple disturbing incidents of domestic violence in the NBA right now. What are we doing to address that? ... You can't put your hands on women, man. ... What are we, as a league, going to do about that?"

Here's what Silver said:

"That's an area where we're not looking to compete against other leagues. ... Our players' association, credit to them, this wasn't adversarial. We put in place a new program for how we deal with, first of all, accusations of domestic violence even before they are prosecuted. Part of it goes to training of our players, counseling of our players to make sure they understand during high-stress situations, never resort to violence against anyone. We're addressing. We have state of the art counseling professionals dealing with our players. But of course, if a guy does cross the line, the consequences are enormous."

Miles Bridges turned himself in to authorities over an arrest warrant that was issued in January for violation of a protection order stemming from a 2022 domestic violence case.

Kevin Porter Jr. is facing charges of second-degree strangulation and third-degree assault stemming from an alleged domestic violence incident that occurred at a New York hotel.

jbcarol

Charles Barkley threatens Stephen A. Smith with a 'whooping'
Sydney Hunte |

QuoteCharles Barkley and Stephen A. Smith are part of TNT Sports and ESPN's collaborative coverage of the NBA In-Season Tournament. And with each of the network's most bombastic personalities staked out in Las Vegas and sharing the air, things went about how you'd expect.

"Let me tell you something, Stephen A.," Barkley said. "If you come over here with all that loud a** talking today — hey, this ain't 'First Take'. This gonna be the first to a** whooping you take if you come over here with that loud a** talking."

Long time coming

jbcarol

Joe Kleine responded to where he was when Arkansas won the National Championship game in 1994.  Playing for the Suns, Kleine recalled watching in the Marriott hotel bar in Portland with Sir Charles and Dan. Joe pulled out a large display of cash that he claimed is what was still left from the bar bet he won picking the Hogs against Barkley and Majerle.

jbcarol

Charles Barkley calls San Francisco 'bunch of homeless crooks;' Here's his top jabs of night

By Mark Heim |

QuoteCharles Barkley, in true form, didn't hold back on Sunday night during TruTV "alt-cast" of the NBA All-Star Game, going after the city of San Francisco.

The former Auburn star and NBA analyst asked Reggie Miller: "If you had the chance between being cold or being around a bunch of homeless crooks in San Francisco, which would you take?"

Barkley added you needed a bullet proof vest to walk around the city.

Back in 2022, Barkley referred to the city as a "hellhole."

"You know what the bad thing is about all this rain? It's not raining in San Francisco to clean up those dirty-ass streets they got there," Barkley said then.

jbcarol

Leaked TNT footage shows Charles Barkley uproariously roasting Shaq

Expletive-filled exchange

By Mark Heim |

QuoteCharles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal are always verbally sparring on the air, usually at each other's expense.

As it turns out, not much changes off the air.

Leaked, behind-the-scenes footage of "Inside the NBA" during all-star weekend reveals O'Neal was venting about TNT not airing his recent Orlando Magic jersey retirement ceremony. Barkley pounced on the opportunity and joked that Shaq was mad it was shown on NBA TV and not on TNT.

Due to the language in the video, it was not used for this post

jbcarol

March Madness: Charles Barkley questions Auburn's seeding, why state schools are in Spokane

By Mark Heim

QuoteCount Charles Barkley among those who believe the Auburn Tigers got jobbed by the NCAA committee when it comes to their seeding for March Madness.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl and assistant coach Steven Pearl both voiced frustration with the Tigers' seeding and destination.

"I'm trying to figure out why they sent all the Alabama schools to Spokane, Washington," Barkley said Monday of Auburn, Alabama and UAB. "I have a problem with that first and foremost."

jbcarol

Auburn alum Charles Barkley publicly thanks Nick Saban for retiring from Alabama

by:
Dan Morrison

QuoteCharles Barkley is a legendary figure in basketball and a proud member of the Auburn family and alum. So, perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that he recently publicly thanked former Alabama head football coach Nick Saban for retiring from coaching.

jbcarol

Charles Barkley sums up the feelings of BBN
Andrew Olson | 

QuoteBarkley may have been a little shaky with the facts, but he summed up the feelings of Big Blue Nation as he talked about Kentucky's NCAA Tournament slump.

Barkley is part of the studio crew for CBS/Turner Sports' March Madness coverage. During halftime of an early Thursday game, the Wildcats came up. Barkley recognized John Calipari as an accomplished coach, while also pointing out that it has been a bit too long for many in BBN since UK has competed for the national championship.

"At some point, they've got to make a deep run," Barkley said of the Wildcats. "They can't keep getting upset. I mean, they're the University of Kentucky. They're one of the greatest programs in history, and Cal is a terrific coach and a good friend.

"But at some point, he can't keep living off what happened during the Anthony Davis era. He's got to go deep in this tournament at some point and this might be the year."

jbcarol

Charles Barkley roasted

Auburn loss to Yale

Pretends to call Tom Izzo

By Mark Heim |

QuoteIt was a tough day for the Auburn Tigers. It may have been tougher for Charles Barkley.

The former Auburn star and March Madness analyst made it clear leading up to the Tigers' upset loss to Yale on Friday night he was quite confident with his team's first-round draw.

The Round Mound of Rebound has predicted a Sweet 16 for Bruce Pearl's Tigers.

"We going to play UConn," he said earlier this week. "We're going to beat Yale. We're always going to beat the smart kids. Then, we're probably going to beat San Diego State."

jbcarol

CBS Sports
@CBSSports
·

THE CHUCK BLIMP

"And the head is actual size."

"You're a funny guy, Ernie." 🤣

jbcarol

jbcarol

Charles Barkley congratulates Dabo for Clemson's win over Arizona

QuoteThat's right, the former Auburn basketball star congratulated the Clemson football coach, not the basketball coach. The panel of Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Clark Kellogg didn't react, which made things even more confusing.

Alli McCraw
@allimccraw

Are we gonna talk about the fact that Charles Barkley just shouted out Dabo Swinney for Clemson's win? 😂

jbcarol

Charles Barkley yells 'Roll Tide,' predicts Alabama to beat UNC in March Madness

By Mark Heim |

QuoteCharles Barkley promised he would use a bad word Thursday during CBS' broadcast of the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16.

As it turns out, Alabama is the word, but it took it further than anyone anticipated.

He gave a "Roll Tide" and did so with a little country twang.

Auburn fans may need to sit down.

However, he was simply picking who he thought would win Thursday's Alabama-North Carolina game.

The Tide is 2-9 overall in Sweet 16 appearances.

"They are going to have to make 15 3-pointers to win this game, but they cannot match up with the physicality of UNC," Barkley said roughly 90 minutes before the start of the game. "But their 3-point shooting, led by (Mark) Mr. Sears, as one of the great leaders on this team. If they can make enough 3-point shots, they can win this game."