Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unscentific Supplement Review

Started by H&D, August 14, 2014, 12:27:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Quote from: H&D on January 30, 2015, 05:27:26 pm
Jack3d was the best performing supplement I had taken since Andro  (back in high school and my early military days). And like anything else that actually works, it's banned now.

Andro is the stuff mark McGuire was supposedly taking right?

H&D

Yes and no. At the time of the picture of a Andro bottle in his locker surfaced, I do not believe it was a banned subatance. It is now. I think the issue with Mark is that Andro was likely an appetizer to much more potent substances.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on January 31, 2015, 02:08:10 pm
Yes and no. At the time of the picture of a Andro bottle in his locker surfaced, I do not believe it was a banned subatance. It is now. I think the issue with Mark is that Andro was likely an appetizer to much more potent substances.

Well I know that that's not all he was taking. I just remember a big uproar over him taking a supplement called andro and was wondering if that was the same one. I do remember that the mlb said he wasn't supposed to be taking it though.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: clutch on January 31, 2015, 03:38:18 pm
Well I know that that's not all he was taking. I just remember a big uproar over him taking a supplement called andro and was wondering if that was the same one. I do remember that the mlb said he wasn't supposed to be taking it though.

That was the one.  He had a big bottle that said ANDRO sitting in his locker while he was doing TV interviews. 

Polecat

Currently taking this. Good stuff, but seems to be quick to develop tolerance. Seeing nice pump and gains on it however.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

southarkhog06

I just wanted to bump this thread to say i recently switched from NOXplode to C4 and love, love, love it.

eequalsmcsquared

i vote monster energy lo carb or no carb before and or during workout and protein shake (60 grams) afterward does the trick. If i have a heart attack,  i guess ill stop.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: eequalsmcsquared on September 16, 2015, 06:42:42 pm
i vote monster energy lo carb or no carb before and or during workout and protein shake (60 grams) afterward does the trick. If i have a heart attack,  i guess ill stop.
Reduce protein intake and increase carbs post-workout; especially if your goal is hypertrophy or strength.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

clutch

If you like strong pre workouts, Hyde is probably the strongest stuff I've had in a long time. Actually has a really good taste too, something I can't say for most other brands.

eequalsmcsquared

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on September 18, 2015, 02:04:17 pm
Reduce protein intake and increase carbs post-workout; especially if your goal is hypertrophy or strength.
thanks for the tip!

Kenny Hawgins

southarkhog06

I workout from 6-7 every morning. My routine is granola bar and C4 before workout, High carb breakfast and chocolate milk after workout. Amino X from BSN as soon as I get to work (8:15ish), high protien supper and one scoop of Syntha-6 also from BSN mixed with 8oz of whole milk before bed.

The step I recently added that has yeilded great results is the chocolate milk, go figure.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 12, 2015, 11:24:28 am
I workout from 6-7 every morning. My routine is granola bar and C4 before workout, High carb breakfast and chocolate milk after workout. Amino X from BSN as soon as I get to work (8:15ish), high protien supper and one scoop of Syntha-6 also from BSN mixed with 8oz of whole milk before bed.

The step I recently added that has yeilded great results is the chocolate milk, go figure.
You can take it or leave it but some tweaks you could make that may help:
- do the aminos pre-workout AND post-workout.  It'll reduce catabolism (muscle breakdown)

- unless you are dead set on a granola bar pre-workout and the big breakfast post-workout, you may switch that out for liquid carbs.  It'll improve digestion rate & recovery since the liquid has a faster rate of gastric emptying.

- if you enjoy the chocolate milk and are happy with the results you're getting, keep it.  A change you could make would be to use something like dextrose, maltodextrin, or waxy maize starch along with whey.  You want high glycemic carbs and quick digestion postworkout.  The fats that are in chocolate milk reduce the rate of digestion and thus, glycemic index.  This lowers your insulin spike, which is a bad thing after weight training.

- you might look at a pre-workout supplement without creatine.  I like creatine but it would be more beneficial to take it post-workout.  Muscle uptake rate is higher at this point and creatine uptake is higher when it is consumed with carbs.

Again, just some tweaks that could help a little bit but, if you're happy with what you're doing, just ignore and keep going.  :)

southarkhog06

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on November 12, 2015, 03:00:47 pm
You can take it or leave it but some tweaks you could make that may help:
- do the aminos pre-workout AND post-workout.  It'll reduce catabolism (muscle breakdown)

- unless you are dead set on a granola bar pre-workout and the big breakfast post-workout, you may switch that out for liquid carbs.  It'll improve digestion rate & recovery since the liquid has a faster rate of gastric emptying.

- if you enjoy the chocolate milk and are happy with the results you're getting, keep it.  A change you could make would be to use something like dextrose, maltodextrin, or waxy maize starch along with whey.  You want high glycemic carbs and quick digestion postworkout.  The fats that are in chocolate milk reduce the rate of digestion and thus, glycemic index.  This lowers your insulin spike, which is a bad thing after weight training.

- you might look at a pre-workout supplement without creatine.  I like creatine but it would be more beneficial to take it post-workout.  Muscle uptake rate is higher at this point and creatine uptake is higher when it is consumed with carbs.

Again, just some tweaks that could help a little bit but, if you're happy with what you're doing, just ignore and keep going.  :)
thanx for the advice, my rule since i started working out is never become dead set on anything so i will try all this at some point.

H&D

The owner of the gym I go to gave me a sample of Jay Cutler Legend Pro, pre-workout. I haven't felt anything like that since the original formula Jack3d. Taste was very good, energy and focus were insane. Only thing I could have done without was the thermogenic. I got home, ate, took a shower and was still sweating.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: H&D on August 14, 2014, 12:27:38 am
So, a couple of months ago I made a supplement order and received a sample of bpi 1.M.R. Vortex pre-workout.  First thing I noticed was how much better it tasted than the Nutrex HemoRage I had bought. Well I finally got low on the Nutrex and noticed a good deal on 1M.R. Vortex with three 2lb containers of bpi Whey-HD. I ordered blueberry lemon ice Vortex, banana marshmallow whey, chocolate cookie whey and vanilla caramel ice cream whey.  The vortex taste amazing and is on the level of the original Jackd in terms of pump, intensity and focus, it's the best I've had since. I've only opened the banana marshmallow so far, and it has ridiculously good flavor.

Like I said, it's just personal opinion.       
makes no scents.  ;)

PP

Ragnar Hogbrok

Anyone know anyone, particularly females, who have used BSN's Isoburn?  My wife ordered some and is going to try it.

Any reviews?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

H&D

Quote from: The Chief on April 28, 2016, 11:51:44 am
Anyone know anyone, particularly females, who have used BSN's Isoburn?  My wife ordered some and is going to try it.

Any reviews?

I've always had luck with BSN products. I haven't needed a fat burner, so I'm not sure about that particular product. But let us know, after this winters bulk I have a spare tire I've never had before. My metabolism is slowing down with age, so I may be looking something soon.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Buff

Quote from: H&D on April 28, 2016, 10:12:07 pm
I've always had luck with BSN products.

I've had great luck with Syntha-6 products.  N.O.-Xplode made me violently empty my bowels.

H&D

Quote from: Buff on April 29, 2016, 08:56:09 pm
I've had great luck with Syntha-6 products.  N.O.-Xplode made me violently empty my bowels.

Think of it as a clense.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Buff

Quote from: H&D on April 29, 2016, 09:16:07 pm
Think of it as a clense.

Does one of those involve intense burning?  I'm not even Catholic but it had me repeating "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned." while I was on my phone trying to call a Priest.

Ragnar Hogbrok

The new formula did that? I only experienced that with the original formula which was chock full of magnesium. I love the new stuff.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

spe450

Quote from: Buff on April 29, 2016, 10:09:08 pm
Does one of those involve intense burning?  I'm not even Catholic but it had me repeating "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned." while I was on my phone trying to call a Priest.
Some preworkouts have cayenne in them now. Not sure if bsn does this.

H&D

Quote from: spe450 on April 30, 2016, 10:05:35 am
Some preworkouts have cayenne in them now. Not sure if bsn does this.

Natural thermogenic, good stuff to get that sweat going.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

The Syntha-6 is great stuff. Probably the best I've tried.

H&D

Quote from: clutch on April 30, 2016, 06:07:04 pm
The Syntha-6 is great stuff. Probably the best I've tried.

Right now I'm using just the plain ole chocolate Syntha-6 as a pre-bed shake. Flavor is really good and I'm not a big chocolate person. I'm also using a BPI ISO after the gym. It's banana cream and the taste is insane. Taste just like the banana pudding desert you always see pot lucks.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Buff

I love Strawberry.  Syntha-6 and AllMax both have great tasting Strawberry flavored shakes.

Buff

Quote from: The Chief on April 30, 2016, 08:49:29 am
The new formula did that? I only experienced that with the original formula which was chock full of magnesium. I love the new stuff.

That was in 2012.  Haven't even looked at the stuff since then.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Buff on May 01, 2016, 09:40:56 am
That was in 2012.  Haven't even looked at the stuff since then.

That was most likely the old junk. Two scoops of about 80% magnesium will send anyone to the restroom.  I hated the old, but love the new. It now has creatine and it cut out all of the junk. Much more concentrated. If you have a buddy that has it, I recommend you give it chance to see the difference. It's not like Jack3d or C4, but it's good.

Buff

I'm throwing down C4 like candy and it's great.  I always loved BSN's protein though so I may give it another shot when my current C4 supply runs low.

clutch

Quote from: H&D on April 30, 2016, 08:21:28 pm
Right now I'm using just the plain ole chocolate Syntha-6 as a pre-bed shake. Flavor is really good and I'm not a big chocolate person. I'm also using a BPI ISO after the gym. It's banana cream and the taste is insane. Taste just like the banana pudding desert you always see pot lucks.

I have the chocolate as well. Good stuff.

southarkhog06

Syntha-6 is by far my favorite protein on the market, I usually change my pre-workout every few weeks just because, and I haven't found one yet that hasn't emptied my intestines within 20 min.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Should be receiving my BSN's Creatine DNA today in the mail.

I'm 34 and I've never really achieved the body structure I've always wanted.  I've always been in great shape and strong, but I'm wanting the looks, dang it!  Hopefully, this stuff helps me recover quicker and work harder while in the gym.

For those who are smart on this stuff, is the 5 day creatine "load" phase necessary?  Or is one 5g dose per day starting off more than enough?

southarkhog06

Quote from: The Chief on May 04, 2016, 02:45:17 pm
Should be receiving my BSN's Creatine DNA today in the mail.

I'm 34 and I've never really achieved the body structure I've always wanted.  I've always been in great shape and strong, but I'm wanting the looks, dang it!  Hopefully, this stuff helps me recover quicker and work harder while in the gym.

For those who are smart on this stuff, is the 5 day creatine "load" phase necessary?  Or is one 5g dose per day starting off more than enough?
I have never noticed a difference in doing the "load" phase and not.

strictly for recovery I've had better results with Amino X.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 04, 2016, 03:00:00 pm
I have never noticed a difference in doing the "load" phase and not.

strictly for recovery I've had better results with Amino X.

Thanks.

Just off the top of your head, what's the difference between the BCAA's in Syntha 6 and the AA's in Amino X?

southarkhog06

Quote from: The Chief on May 04, 2016, 04:36:07 pm
Thanks.

Just off the top of your head, what's the difference between the BCAA's in Syntha 6 and the AA's in Amino X?
Man you are getting into territory where I have to think too much. Honestly, there prolly isn't much difference.

Dr. Starcs

Apologize for not having read the whole thread, but is there anything you guys would recommend for getting pumped with little to no side effects and cost efficient?

I've just been pounding the protein every day.

H&D

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 07:29:32 pm
Apologize for not having read the whole thread, but is there anything you guys would recommend for getting pumped with little to no side effects and cost efficient?

I've just been pounding the protein every day.

Do you drug test at work? And do you have any problems with meeting someone in a basement parking garage? I kid, I kid.

The tough part about that question is, different things work for different people. Too many variables. How many days do you lift? How heavy? Do you want a leaner body builder look or yoked power lifter build?

If you want to grow, drink more water than you think you should. Eat food, lots of it. Take in protein at the right times, especially immediately after you lift. Take in the right types of protien at the right time, BCAA and creatine.

Do all of that and be patient, it takes time. Or they're are shortcuts, I'm not willing to risk longterm health for shortterm gains.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Dr. Starcs

Thanks h&d.

Here's a little background.

I lift 4x a week. I'd just like to get big, but I have some limitations (pretty serious back problems). I am about 6'2 and only weight about 180. Have definitely gotten bigger but my skin just seems kinda soft. Maybe should go for a more ripped look, but I just don't see me getting that with my softness. Lol

Like you, I don't want to risk any health in the short or long term really. I try to get my body weight in protein and always make sure to take after workouts.

What is bcaa? And is creative pretty safe?

Again, thanks for the help.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Remember, it's a marathon not a sprint. I've been religious in the gym the last year and I'm still not where I want to be. It's going to take time.

Dr. Starcs

I understand that chief, but while I continue to work, do you have any suggestions on any supplements?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 09:12:07 pm
I understand that chief, but while I continue to work, do you have any suggestions on any supplements?

Here's my stack.  Remember, my goal is to get bigger but remain athletic enough to run a 15 minute 2 mile.

N.O. Xplode New Formula on top of Syntha 6 protein flavor of choice before working out.

Immediately after working out, like as I'm walking out of the gym, Syntha 6 stacked with one scoop of BSN's Creatine DNA.  Then, a sensible breakfast and lunch. When I get hungry, I drink another protein shake and I drink at least 120 Oz of water daily.

When I eat, I eat fruits, veggies, some bread, and either chicken, turkey, out tuna.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 07:52:56 pm
Thanks h&d.

I lift 4x a week. I'd just like to get big, but I have some limitations (pretty serious back problems). I am about 6'2 and only weight about 180. Have definitely gotten bigger but my skin just seems kinda soft. Maybe should go for a more ripped look, but I just don't see me getting that with my softness. Lol

Like you, I don't want to risk any health in the short or long term really. I try to get my body weight in protein and always make sure to take after workouts.

I've never had any issues with creatine. I think it's a pretty safe supplement as long as you cycle off of it. I doubt you'd want to stay on it year around.

If you are just looking for the pump and don't want to spend the money on any preworkout formula that typically delivers that pump, try buying some L-Argenine. You can order it online, find it at Walmart with the Vitamins, and it's really really cheap. It won't pack the same kind of pump that you will get out of a full preworkout formula, but it will help some.

H&D

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 07:52:56 pm
Thanks h&d.

BCAA = Branched Chain Amino Acids, building blocks of muscle. Depending on your brand of protien you may be getting plenty in it. Most decent brands have them in it. Creatine has been around forever and finding anything legitimate negative is nearly impossible. You have to take in plenty of water, it will dehydrate you. Also if you stop taking it you will lose some strength and size pretty quick (from my personal experience.)

We're pretty similar, I'm 6'0" with a 180 walking around weight. Right now I'm at 205, but it's been a long road and could be lost pretty quick with an injury. My goal isn't to be real ripped, I like carbs way too much and need them to maintain my higher weight. For my job,I want to be big enough and imposing enough that people think twice about stupid ideas they may have. From what I've been told by some not so nice people, my desired effect has been accomplished. And I've noticed our out of shape officers face a lot more resistance.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Dr. Starcs

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm kind of cheap so I will definitely look into these suggestions.

southarkhog06

Quote from: The Chief on May 16, 2016, 09:20:55 pm
Here's my stack.  Remember, my goal is to get bigger but remain athletic enough to run a 15 minute 2 mile.

N.O. Xplode New Formula on top of Syntha 6 protein flavor of choice before working out.

Immediately after working out, like as I'm walking out of the gym, Syntha 6 stacked with one scoop of BSN's Creatine DNA.  Then, a sensible breakfast and lunch. When I get hungry, I drink another protein shake and I drink at least 120 Oz of water daily.

When I eat, I eat fruits, veggies, some bread, and either chicken, turkey, out tuna.
That's a pretty solid stack, I use C-4 instead of N.O Xplode and I have started using Cellmass as my Creatine. I am 5' 11" and 183 I try to stay between 180 and 190 because any heavier than that I get stress fractures in my shins and feet when I run.

Have you thought about getting a cheap protein for your midday snack? Unless you are absolutely slamming creatine and carbs your body can only metabolize about 2 scoops of Syntha-6 worth of protein daily.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 17, 2016, 08:53:48 am
That's a pretty solid stack, I use C-4 instead of N.O Xplode and I have started using Cellmass as my Creatine. I am 5' 11" and 183 I try to stay between 180 and 190 because any heavier than that I get stress fractures in my shins and feet when I run.

Have you thought about getting a cheap protein for your midday snack? Unless you are absolutely slamming creatine and carbs your body can only metabolize about 2 scoops of Syntha-6 worth of protein daily.

I'm doing a total of 2.5 scoops per day. I use .5 scoop with the NO Xplode.  The rest is through diet. I use a lot of the protein as quick energy fuel for running and HIIT workouts. I'm burning, on average, 3500 calories per day.

And I can't do the cheap protein. They all cause me to have gas, bloating, and discomfort. The syntha6 has the carbs and fiber I need as well.

southarkhog06

Quote from: The Chief on May 17, 2016, 09:16:25 am
I'm doing a total of 2.5 scoops per day. I use .5 scoop with the NO Xplode.  The rest is through diet. I use a lot of the protein as quick energy fuel for running and HIIT workouts. I'm burning, on average, 3500 calories per day.

And I can't do the cheap protein. They all cause me to have gas, bloating, and discomfort. The syntha6 has the carbs and fiber I need as well.
Sounds good, I have always found that protein from whole grains work just as well taken with pre workout for energy if you want to stretch the life of your Syntha-6. I have started doing almost exclusively HIIT for around an hour every morning, and it has done wonders for keeping my weight in check without sacrificing strength.